Investigators to assess fire damage at Khon Kaen hotel

webfact

Investigators to assess fire damage at Khon Kaen hotel
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A crime-scene investigation team will today inspect Khon Kaen's five-star Kaen Inn Hotel, which caught fire on Sunday night and led to some 10 people being slightly injured. The hotel is in Muang district.

After the police led the initial investigation of the severely damaged first and second floors yesterday morning, provincial deputy chief Pol Colonel Supakorn Khamsingnok said the damage could not be fully assessed as forensics officials were still unable to access the area as the fire was not completely extinguished.

He explained that the fire had only affected the hotel decor and furniture, not the structure itself. He also said that nobody was killed or seriously injured because at the time of the fire, most of the guests were outside the hotel. He added that only 24 rooms were occupied.

The hotel set up a table outside yesterday to collect keys from guests but could not provide information about damages. The fire, which was reportedly sparked at 9.30pm in the ground floor, spread quickly to the upper floors, prompting an evacuation of guests and members of staff. It took some 20 fire trucks two hours to get the blaze under control.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-31

"After the police led the initial investigation of the severely damaged first and second floors"

"He explained that the fire had only affected the hotel decor and furniture, not the structure itself."

Erm? If 2 floors are severely damaged there must be some structural damage, wouldn't there be? .

"After the police led the initial investigation of the severely damaged first and second floors"

"He explained that the fire had only affected the hotel decor and furniture, not the structure itself."

Erm? If 2 floors are severely damaged there must be some structural damage, wouldn't there be? .

I am sure the owners hope so.

I am sure the owners hope so.

Well, in a normal housefire you can get ceiling temperatures of up to 1000 degrees C. The structural damage (if any) would obviously have to be assessed by a civil engineer. ie if you can find an honest and good one here! Not all fires affect the structure, of course there are a few factors to consider, wind can fan the flames and increase temps. building material quality, etc

Well, I for one am surprised that that old shack is still standing and operating.

The place dates back to the GIs and had the distinct advantage of being in the middle of town. They upgraded the rooms more than 10 years ago and last time I was there they had a "Harem" kind of club; loud, murky and not quite my thing.

Well, the land is worth a bloody fortune and maybe this incident triggers off another high rise development; I am sure the place is nicely insured.

The TV-boys on the top floor (channel 3 or 7?) will have to look for another asylum now I guess

• Like 1

protests hit, chinese laundry syndrome starts.

Well if you've got a new train line coming to town and plans known for a 2500 rai chinese industrial estate how better to fund a hotel upgrade than a tragic event such as this.

yes but this is now; ultra peak and they got "15% occupancy" seat of the pants has worn through already. pies in the sky are too late for them it seems.

not the only one, lot of vacant rooms around the traps in other places too. not to mention the tertiary tourist town where i've been parked for a while. yesterday the streets had more ppl than i've ever seen but lodgings are still mostly empty, been mostly empty for months.. me i'm not complaining. i like it quiet peaceful with little noise. pollution still stinks tough.

Edited by Naked Snake