Foreigners caught on camera posing as deaf people for Phuket 'donations'

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those from strapped Euro countries are spreading out and scamming elsewhere it seems to me. In Auckland, they beg, use charities for free dinners, sneak into hostels (and elsewhere probably) for showers, steal food etc...

Happened in Starbucks at the back of Jungceylon yesterday............short, slim, younger guy deposited the card and keyrings on every table and when a staff member spoke to him he just carried on doing it, then collecting them again.

One couple gave him 100 baht, and he was out very quickly as the whole operation was over and done within a minute or so.

Edited by xylophone

Lower than the gutter this lot,send them back on the first available flight,same as the annoying males and sometimes females,that are on bikes riding about,they will stop you,ask excuse me do you speak english?? then attempt to get you to go to a seminar,then you win a camera or something,absolute timeshare scam.I just say to them,yes i will go...if you show me your work permit??? the bike will head off into the dust real quick.

"One staff member told Ryan that she once heard the girl speaking on the phone in a Slavic language."

Oh righty. A Thai person says or even knows about a 'Slavic language'?

You really are so stupid to assume that no Thai person has the intelligence, or has had the experience, to recognise a foreign language?

....and then there's the foreigners in their 20's who approach you on Khaosan Road asking for money to let you release caged birds.....

If it was definitely a foreigner and I saw him doing that, I would grab the cage of him and let all the birds go free, that is after I made sure the birds were free in the first place. How would I know that? I hear you ask. I would let him think I was on his side and speak to him about it.

Happened in Starbucks at the back of Jungceylon yesterday............short, slim, younger guy deposited the card and keyrings on every table and when a staff member spoke to him he just carried on doing it, then collecting them again.

One couple gave him 100 baht, and he was out very quickly as the whole operation was over and done within a minute or so.

Why didn't you try to give them a warning about the scam, was it the same guy as in the picture posted here?

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I, myself as born deaf, find this article very disturbing and it is quite common that some deaf Thai persons roaming in the restaurants as long as the owners do not mind. It is true that they do sell some small items like key chains, etc. Occasionally they approached me, I asked them why it costs 100B in international sign language. They often laughed & replied politely "that is up to me whether to buy or not" in their own hands. Besides that, we share the same difficulties with verbal communication barriers in the hearing world - especially business or employment. And I could not understand how these expats are posing as deaf persons and I shall be intrigued to see how good their signing fluent & deaf culture as well.

• Like 1

.......i mean apart from being a crap DJ there still plenty of jobs they can do.....

he does indeed looks a bit like frankie wilde

otherwise check out real life deaf dj robbie wilde

Edited by livil

whats happening to you all here ???? thats what you wish to people for 2014 ?delation and let a farang being arrested because he is begging ? making a photo of him and putting a post here? you have nothing else to do? i feel ashame and like to...... bah.gif when i see this......!

let people live their life and do what they want to do....begging is not robbering anyway, they don't do anything wrong. perhaps they try a clever story but the bank and system or both are thousand time worst than that..person ....so... well ..up to you....if you want to give him or her ....it is new year time so ...do so then, if not carry on with what you are doing and forget it.

you should not critized when you don't know the exact reason why a person is actuing a way others don't ...!

to people who are schoked with that begging thing should go back to their own countries and look around.

paris , new york, london,moscou, india , china ...etc etc

america, europe and also the rest of the world is full of poor people and beggars because of entire corrupt systems.

every where.DO YOU WANT TO CHANGE SOMETHING ?

why don't you make a photo of all them and make a new post here.

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Why didn't you try to give them a warning about the scam, was it the same guy as in the picture posted here?

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All done and dusted in no time at all, and it was a friend who saw the 100 baht change hands.

Not the same farang as in the pic/video.

We foreigners are quite smart to pick up ways to make money and we learn fast. So are the Middle Eastern and Indians. Look at the area around Sukhumvit Soi 3 which is full of beggars not born in Thailand at all.

I would say good on them. We have the choice, just like with Thai beggars, to support them or not.

Bumped into this interesting article: <removed>

Edited by LivinginKata
Links to other forum not allowed as per forum rules

whats happening to you all here ???? thats what you wish to people for 2014 ?delation and let a farang being arrested because he is begging ? making a photo of him and putting a post here? you have nothing else to do? i feel ashame and like to...... bah.gif when i see this......!

let people live their life and do what they want to do....begging is not robbering anyway, they don't do anything wrong. perhaps they try a clever story but the bank and system or both are thousand time worst than that..person ....so... well ..up to you....if you want to give him or her ....it is new year time so ...do so then, if not carry on with what you are doing and forget it.

you should not critized when you don't know the exact reason why a person is actuing a way others don't ...!

to people who are schoked with that begging thing should go back to their own countries and look around.

paris , new york, london,moscou, india , china ...etc etc

america, europe and also the rest of the world is full of poor people and beggars because of entire corrupt systems.

every where.DO YOU WANT TO CHANGE SOMETHING ?

why don't you make a photo of all them and make a new post here.

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

Although i disagree with most of what you say, i must confess the picture seems to show the guy asking for food as in using his finger and gesture eating. This does not qualify for saying "i am deaf" it is saying i am hungry can you help me out!!!

There is a guy (in Bangkok) near to Central World and Big C who folds his arms under his shirt and pretends to be arm-less.

you can see his arms folded under his shirt. Several times I have seen him get up (at the end of the day) and bring out his arms, pick up his pot and walk away!!

if you want to see him, he is on the bridge that goes over the canal (near to Central World) on the way to the Novotel and Pratunam Fashion Mall.

he is on the pavement of the bridge over the canal.

he also has his friend or brother who sometimes fills in for him.

I see this often because I live in this area and pass them very often.

I didnt bother telling any police because I assumed the police don't care that someone is tricking public out of money.

I bet she would speak up if you pocketed the trinkets and did not pay.

just how desperate would some one be ( or how much could they hope to take it) by flying to thailand to do this scam?

Well most of them are poor Russians from the Caucasus area (border Europe/Asia) , it's cheap to fly with charter to Thailand so many of them live here for months and try to make an income .

...even more likely, they work as gangs and need to deliver (most of) their income to their "prince". In that case, it is probable that they did not have to pay for their own flight and other assorted expenses, rather they have to "work" these items off. The "prince" also takes care of bribing the Police.

• Like 1