Emirates One Way Ticket Problems With Valid Visa

Dear all,

I received my three entry tourist visa and I've just bought a one way ticket to Phuket with Emirates Airline. I wish I had looked on Thai Visa first. Upon browsing this forum I found a post talking about other people having problems boarding flights with a one way ticket. So I emailed Emirates and asked them to confirm my boarding because I have a valid visa.

Their response is below.

Thank you for contacting Emirates.

On checking with our concerned team at the airport, we wish to inform you that you would still need a return ticket as the visa is still a tourist visa not a residence visa, if you do travel on a one way ticket, then you may be made to buy a return ticket on arrival or refused entry.

Should you need further information or assistance, please contact us and we will be pleased to assist.

Sincerely,

Samantha Fernandes

Customer Sales and Service Representative

Emirates Airline

What am I supposed to do now? This is ridiculous!

I have looked on the Thai Consulate website and they say I will be allowed entry into Thailand with a valid visa so what is their problem.

Has anyone else flew with Emirates and had this problem? I don't want to buy a return ticket yet as I am planing on staying in Thailand for a year. Can anyone please advise me on what options I have to get around this problem.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certain Visa regulations apply as follows:

Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

is what I found out putting in Australian passport at http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

looks as if they are being stricter than they need to.

I thought that the Emirates answer was correct.I always know that u have a Non O visa(for example)for a one way ticket...and thinking that with a muti entry tourist visa you can be refused on board.

Not correct. All the rules state is a visa of any type.

Only visa exempt entries require a ticket out of the country.

What if I bought a ticket to say Malaysia exiting Thailand after my first 60 day entry period was over.

Would that help things?

I could kill two birds with one stone and do my border run.

Entirely up to you.

The extra ticket is not required in order for you to fly to Thailand.

See the above posts.

What if I bought a ticket to say Malaysia exiting Thailand after my first 60 day entry period was over.

Would that help things?

Entirely up to you.

The extra ticket is not required in order for you to fly to Thailand.

See the above posts.

Do not forget you can apply for a 30 day extension for each 60 day entry.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm feeling better about boarding now. I won't bother with the Malaysia ticket then but if they start to be a pain the in the butt, can I print off something to show the check in staff? If I need to speak to a superviser what should I say?

Thanks again

Just another response from them.

I replied to their email to me above with this below

Dear Samantha,

Please read the link below from the Thai Consulate and advise your staff accordingly. It quite clearly says people are allowed entry with a valid visa and does not mention anywhere it needs to be a residence visa.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=20130520184044

I personally have travelled many times into Thailand and never, have I been refused entry with a triple entry tourist visa or a Non O Visa.

This is their reply back to me below

Thank you for your e-mail.

We suggest you to please check the visa requirements and detailed information directly with the local Thailand Consulate/Embassy.

Should you have any queries do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

NARGISA MAVLYANOVA

Looks like they are just giving me the run around and nobody wants to give me a certain yes or no answer.

I'm going to try calling the bloody airport in Newcastle and see if I can get any joy from them. Will let you all know.

Watch this space..

I thought that the Emirates answer was correct.I always know that u have a Non O visa(for example)for a one way ticket...and thinking that with a muti entry tourist visa you can be refused on board.

Wrong and there are no "multi entry" tourist visas

Suggest the mods delete this false information.

There are tourist visas with 2 or 3 entries. Even though the entries are not unlimited, these could easily be referred to as multi-entry, as in "more than one entry".

• Like 2

Shouldn't be a problem and I agree with the other posters. There are a couple of solutions: bring a printed copy of the regulations posted on any Thai embassy/consulate website with you to check-in OR bring a printed "fake" itinerary to any destination outside of Thailand (basically any itinerary which you haven't paid for, best to book with THAI as you'll get a real itinerary except you haven't paid for it, if you choose the pay later option and book at least a week in advance OR ask to speak to a supervisor AND/OR you could just show a credit card in lieu of a ticket, show proof of previous travel to Thailand etc. in any case you won't have a problem.

• Like 1

Are you sure !?

Even with one-way ticket, tourist visa, and onward ticket to Malaysia I get refused to be boarding!

It was from Roma Fiumicino( Italy ), but I am French.

-1 I had one way ticket to Bangkok. ( Roma > Colombo & Colombo > Bangkok ) with Sri Lankan Airlines

-2 I had a Tourist Visa

-3. I had a buy a one-way ticket to Kuala Lampur from Bangkok with Air Asia.

At first I showed him my ticket, & he asked me, my return ticket.. I told him, I had a visa ! he's said me that I need to have a return ticket even. I showed him ticket going to Malaysia!

so, the check-in desk, looking the requirements going to Malaysia !! he's said me going to Malaysia need a onward ticket also !

I said to him, I'll buy ticket outside of Malaysia when I'll be in Thailand already!

He told me NOT! I must carry now a ticket going outside of Malaysia. Because as now, I don't follow requirements going to Malaysia! but my ticket is GOING TO BANGKOK with SRI LANKAN AIRLINES, he's said, yes but as I don't have ticket going back to Europe, I must carry follow requirements for the next country of my destination of Thailand, as Malaysia need a outside ticket also..

He does'nt care about I had visa or not !

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I had boarding refused because of that! Becareful!! some company are really bad minded, especially SRI LANKAN AIRLINES, never took them !

Edited by Danielsiam
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, just like Thai immigration, the final decision is left to the staff manning the check in desk. Print out the page from the Emirates website and if, the check in clerk gives you grief ask to speak to a supervisor. But, be prepared to buy a cheap ticket on line if all else fails. Good luck!

The Emirates website is out of date as their definition of limited visa exempt entries hasn't applied of years

• Like 2

Would that help things?

This is the only correct solution to be safe whatever other people will tell you.

• Like 2

IF OP is actually going to buy a ticket to KL before flight day, it might be better to buy one within 30 days of arrival as that eliminates the possibility on flight day check-in of some airline personnel looking at their screen and seeing the within 30 day exit flight notice which might apply in other circumstances.

"then you may be made to buy a return ticket on arrival or refused entry."

Basically they're saying they will let you fly but once you're there it's on your head.

The airline cannot say " once you're there it's on your head" : if a passenger is refused entry because of visa regulations then the airline will be forced to fly him (or her) back to origin.

Therefore verification should be done at check-in ...of course by competent staff.

• Like 1

22 million tourists, many without a return ticket cos they will be going to other countries, by air, land or even sea. People travel around for months, gap years etc, in and out of Thailand and other countries not knowing their return date.

Why are you so worried?.......you'll be stressed to the gills by the time you get here.

• Like 2

I wonder how well an email to the airline will go down including their website and the letters from their Customer Service reps and pointing out that the next booking will be with an airline that knows its own regulations because if they handle things like that with customers how do they handle the front office.

Odd experience with EK. I fly them every 5 to 6 weeks from UAE to home in Thailand. About 80% of the time I am on a one way ticket and have never once had an issue with EK on checkin in Dubai. Emailing their customer service center is going to get the safe response from them, but I personally think you will find no problems with checkin in Dubai.

I wonder how well an email to the airline will go down including their website and the letters from their Customer Service reps and pointing out that the next booking will be with an airline that knows its own regulations because if they handle things like that with customers how do they handle the front office.

In the case of EK ... I doubt they will care unless you are gold or platinum class. In fact, I doubt any airline will really care as there are plenty of flyers.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I had boarding refused because of that! Becareful!! some company are really bad minded, especially SRI LANKAN AIRLINES, never took them !

Hmm.

Living in TH on a retirement extention I buy tkts TH-DE-TH. Flew with several airlines without problems checking in the return leg having no "return portion" as it is that one already. Nobody checked before. The check in agents only looked at the first page of my pp. Never turned the page to look for visas etc.

In April I will fly with UL (SriLankan) for the 1st time. Hope it will go smooth.

As a sidenote:

In my reservation is says: "Germany passport" and "Nationality Thai".

Either it is s system glitch, UL switched to AMADEUS some weeks ago, or it is their way to tell that boarding the return flight is OK.

"then you may be made to buy a return ticket on arrival or refused entry."

Basically they're saying they will let you fly but once you're there it's on your head.

The airline cannot say " once you're there it's on your head" : if a passenger is refused entry because of visa regulations then the airline will be forced to fly him (or her) back to origin.

Therefore verification should be done at check-in ...of course by competent staff.

I'm surprised by Emirates but they are CYA.

The airlines have major hassle and I believe fined if you are not allowed entry and have to return you to your point of origin.

I never had a problem entering Thailand on a single one-way ticket with a tourist visa or even a 30 Day visa on arrival..

I regularly fly in with Emirates on a one-way ticket but have a multi-entry now, though this is info is never asked for when my Dubai office make the bookings.

If you are really worried get something like an Air Asia ticket to Kuala Lumpur to be 100% safe.

• Like 2

Sometimes you are just as cheap buying a return ticket with Emirates than a single and that would have solved your problem. Emirates can be sticky at times.It all depends on the assistant.I return home to uk to see family as hubby works here and everything is double checked and all my visas checked.. When I return with them to KL I need to produce my pass from Malaysian immigration. Some airlines are getting strict with this issue now.

The situation is as someone mentioned if you are refused entry which is doubtful as I have never been asked for a return ticket at any airport in Asia , Emirates have to return you to port of call and some places fine them.