Emirates One Way Ticket Problems With Valid Visa

Many of the people flying Emirates are coming from countries that Thailand insist on an onward ticket being shown.

If you were from say Burkina Faso and your nearest Thai embassy is in Nigeria, unfortunately you'll come under the category of the visiter from Nigeria. This unfortunately, because of the behavior of a number of their fellow countrymen, will result in many extra hurdles being applied.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is up to the airline you can have all the visas you like but it is up to the airline if they want to carry you, if they think you will be denied access to the country they will Not board you if you dont have another ticket out as they legally have to transport you out of that country back to where you came from, and that is in all airline rules.

I have a child in Thailand and I've got quite a few extensions of stay in my passport for visiting child and an old Mutiple Non O visa ( did not meet the new reqirments for another one so had to get a tourist visa instead)

Maybe that might throw some weight into their judgements of me being accepted into Thailand.

Just a thought...

Certain Visa regulations apply as follows:

Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

is what I found out putting in Australian passport at http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

looks as if they are being stricter than they need to.

Stricter - Ya think. I'd bet they just want to have the return journey as well.

If all else fails perhaps negotiate an open return at a cheaper price?

For starters stop sending Emails to the airline trying to get correct info from these people 9 out of 10 times is a waste. Just print out a copy of the airline info and the MOFA Thailand info on visas and have it ready to show, have your response rehearsed if any grief.

I had a problem with Cebu Pacific last year leaving Palawan Island You have no onward bound flight, Me I do not need one, Them yes you do, Me I do not as I have a one year extension of stay good until Feb. 2013, Them whats that, Me let me show you in the passport, I spent 10 min. explaining what an extension of stay is and a permission to re-enter permit, Finally the light went on in the dim bulbs head and she said ok can board.

I have a child in Thailand and I've got quite a few extensions of stay in my passport for visiting child and an old Mutiple Non O visa ( did not meet the new reqirments for another one so had to get a tourist visa instead)

Maybe that might throw some weight into their judgements of me being accepted into Thailand.

Just a thought...

You are over thinking this way to much

• Like 1

It is up to the airline you can have all the visas you like but it is up to the airline if they want to carry you, if they think you will be denied access to the country they will Not board you if you dont have another ticket out as they legally have to transport you out of that country back to where you came from, and that is in all airline rules.

I regularly fly from BBK to Iraq with Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Turkish and even Austrian.

They are always reluctant to let me check-in in BKK but fortunately I can produce a Kurdistan residence card (which is more than I can get in Thailand, where I live).

Again, they just want to CYA.

I always leave and return on a one-way ticket and never had a problem entering the Kingdom but, as mentioned above, it is at the discretion of the airline. Have never ever had a problem with Thai Immigration.

This is direct from the Thai Embassy Web Site in Canberra:

Australian passport holders (and nationals from 50 designated countries) may travel to Thailand for the purpose of tourism without a visa. They will be permitted to stay for a period not exceed 30 days on each visit provided they arrive by air and have a confirmed ticket out of Thailand (by air, land, or sea) within 30 days. But those entering by land at the immigration checkpoints from neighboring countries, will be allowed to stay for 15 days on each entry.

This is for a "visa on arrival", and you DO need a confirmed ticket out of Thailand. The fact that Immigration may not normally ask to see your confirmed ticket out of Thailand, they can and if you don't have one you can be refused entry.

The airline (who may be fined or have to fly you back out of Thailand) has every right to check that you have a confirmed ticket out. When you check in they review your reservation, and if you have a return ticket with them they will say nothing. If you don't they can demand to see your confirmed ticket out with another airline and refuse to check you in if you dont. This has happened to me checking in flying Thai, Singapore, Qantas and Cathay.

I recommend you get a confirmed ticket out to Malaysia, Singapore etc before you go to check in.

The fact that many posters "get away with it" does not mean that everyone will.

Visa on arrival is not the same as visa exempt, which is what Oz pp holders get on arrival.

I agree that my term "Visa on Arrival" was not correct. I should have said "visa not required before arrival" When you arrive you do get a Visa, Class 30 or W30 (meaning 30 days from arrival date). But everyone gets a visa of some sort either before or on arrival to enter almost every country in the world.

I agree that my term "Visa on Arrival" was not correct. I should have said "visa not required before arrival" When you arrive you do get a Visa, Class 30 or W30 (meaning 30 days from arrival date). But everyone gets a visa of some sort either before or on arrival to enter almost every country in the world.

I don't want to split hairs but since you are making a genuine effort to get the terminology right I'd like to mention that the stamp you get to enter the country is not a visa, but a permission to stay, even though most everybody calls it a visa. The immigration officer gives you an arrival stamp, the template of which is identical for all travellers, regardless whether they arrived with a visa, or got a visa on arrival, or arrived without a visa under the "Tourist Visa Exemption" program, and this arrival stamp is your permission to stay. Three variables are added on this template:

• Visa class
  • Arrival date
  • End date of the permission to stay

The two dates are usually added with a stamp, a note regarding the visa class is almost always scribbled by hand, often not legible. For tourists arriving visa-exempt, the immigration officer sometimes leaves the field for visa class blank, but most of the time he enters a dash or, as you mentioned, "30" or "ผ30", sometimes "ผผ30" if the tourist is entitled to a permission to stay for 30 days.

A fourth variable, the number of the flight on which you arrived, if you came by air, is often handwritten outside the arrival stamp's template.

Examples of arrival stamps:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gb3lf-Tiids/TomwHF3zKnI/AAAAAAAAJVk/fSAzGIPLlyE/s494/Arrival%2520stamp%2520non-O%2520Bangkok%252020081027.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--SaXhWmtkxY/TomwLl1NASI/AAAAAAAAJVk/6uek8KBVqM0/s477/Arrival%2520stamp%2520re-entry%2520Bangkok%252020080827.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Mm5kAQC6jSU/UnfNSR80Z0I/AAAAAAAAKTU/LiyU7Dyvq-4/s490/Arrival%2520stamp%2520visa-exempt%2520German%2520Nongkhai%252020131102.jpg

http://img.4travel.jp/img/tcs/t/album/lrg/10/82/83/lrg_10828375.jpg?20131104211617

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gkvCaBKzqEU/UpTsn-PPRJI/AAAAAAAAK1M/57-aPHxb5as/s640/Arrival%2520stamp%2520visa-exempt%2520Ranong%252020131112.jpg

The rule would be either a return or onward ticket. It should be possible to get over this problem by booking a cheap Air Asia flight to a neighbouring country and showing Emirates this. I think Emirates is trying to get extra cash from you by forcing you to buy a return ticket. They may be correct to interpret the rules this way, but the rule is never enforced in Thailand.

Why would Emirates force you to buy a return ticket the return ticket can be less than or equal to the one way ticket price. This has often been the case for non-discount airlines as they like to cover themselves in case you buy a one way ticket and are refused entry. Current price expedia one way LHR to BKK is B31,650 and return B30,565. You should also be aware that return flights are cheap because of promotions whereas one way tickets, say valid one month, are usually full fare. I use the Amadeus web site which is used by IATA, to find the cheapest flights.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

I don't want to split hairs but since you are making a genuine effort to get the terminology right I'd like to mention that the stamp you get to enter the country is not a visa, but a permission to stay, even though most everybody calls it a visa. The immigration officer gives you an arrival stamp, the template of which is identical for all travellers, regardless whether they arrived with a visa, or got a visa on arrival, or arrived without a visa under the "Tourist Visa Exemption" program, and this arrival stamp is your permission to stay. Three variables are added on this template:

• Visa class
  • Arrival date
  • End date of the permission to stay
The two dates are usually added with a stamp, a note regarding the visa class is almost always scribbled by hand, often not legible. For tourists arriving visa-exempt, the immigration officer sometimes leaves the field for visa class blank, but most of the time he enters a dash or, as you mentioned, "30" or "ผ30", sometimes "ผผ30" if the tourist is entitled to a permission to stay for 30 days.

A fourth variable, the number of the flight on which you arrived, if you came by air, is often handwritten outside the arrival stamp's template.

Examples of arrival stamps:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gb3lf-Tiids/TomwHF3zKnI/AAAAAAAAJVk/fSAzGIPLlyE/s494/Arrival%20stamp%20non-O%20Bangkok%2020081027.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--SaXhWmtkxY/TomwLl1NASI/AAAAAAAAJVk/6uek8KBVqM0/s477/Arrival%20stamp%20re-entry%20Bangkok%2020080827.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Mm5kAQC6jSU/UnfNSR80Z0I/AAAAAAAAKTU/LiyU7Dyvq-4/s490/Arrival%20stamp%20visa-exempt%20German%20Nongkhai%2020131102.jpg

http://img.4travel.jp/img/tcs/t/album/lrg/10/82/83/lrg_10828375.jpg?20131104211617

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gkvCaBKzqEU/UpTsn-PPRJI/AAAAAAAAK1M/57-aPHxb5as/s640/Arrival%20stamp%20visa-exempt%20Ranong%2020131112.jpg

Lets agree to disagree! Whilst on the subject of visae, my Thai GF recently flew to see me in Kuala Lumpur on Thai. They refused to check her in as she had a one way ticket. She had to buy a KUL-BKK ticket at the airport Thai ticket office, and then they checked her in. The point being Airlines can refuse to take you unless you comply with entry requirements at your destination.

Enough of TVF for now. I am in Australia and will go back to watching the cricket and Australia getting on top of England - again!

Airlines can refuse to board you if you don't meet their terms of the contract you hold with them in the form of your ticket. All kind of small print is attached to that.

But a a rule, they cannot refuse you boarding if you meet the entry requirements of your destination on the grounds that they want you to hold a return ticket if none is needed. In that case I would ask a supervisor to give me the refusal and the reason for it in writing for my lawyer. I think they will check again and let you board, if not they will have a legal problem.

• Like 2

As a younger man I traveled widely to many countries , using a variety of airlines.

Frequently my journeys were made on one way tickets.

Only occasionally have I been challenged at check in . A quiet discussion with a supervisor has always resulted in my being boarded smile.png

• Like 1

Lets agree to disagree! Whilst on the subject of visae, my Thai GF recently flew to see me in Kuala Lumpur on Thai. They refused to check her in as she had a one way ticket. She had to buy a KUL-BKK ticket at the airport Thai ticket office, and then they checked her in. The point being Airlines can refuse to take you unless you comply with entry requirements at your destination.

Enough of TVF for now. I am in Australia and will go back to watching the cricket and Australia getting on top of England - again!

The air line was correct. Malaysia requires a requires a return or onward ticket.

Screen shot of IATA info from here: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

post-66997-13887297118776_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the Hull Thai Consulate website has decided to update their downloadable links and they have now removed the link I attached talking about one way tickets into Thailand.

But a quick look on the here

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/188

I found this below.

Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

I imagine the Emerites staff are getting confused with Tourist Visa Exemption and a Tourist Visa.

Looks like the Hull Thai Consulate website has decided to update their downloadable links and they have now removed the link I attached talking about one way tickets into Thailand.

But a quick look on the here

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/188

I found this below.

Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

I imagine the Emerites staff are getting confused with Tourist Visa Exemption and a Tourist Visa.

That web page clearly has not been updated for some considerable time.

There are a number of misleading inaccuracies.

Answer yes if they ask if you have a return ticket

You can doctor up a good Itinerary from a prior ticket and make it look good. Show it only if necessary

If they want a receipt of payment, say you did not have time or resources to print it out.

The above cost nothing.

But be prepared for stumbling blocks, inept Check In personnel.

If all else fails, and you are forced to buy a ticket, just make sure its refundable and use a credit card as you may be able to cancel payment due to negligence of the airlines (requiring a return ticket before boarding when you knew it was not required)

Like they say, some have been asked, others have not.

I see some airlines enforce and some don't.

In the USA, Delta stopped me from boarding until I explained and showed proof of overseas residence... Bank Book, Drivers License, Residency Cert, etc. I had an Immigration card for the Philippines. They looked confused, but let me go...

Expats worldwide, sometime just do not fit into the box.

Some good advice, but I have never heard of any airline check-in official that would go over an itinerary, particularly one issued by another airline or travel agent with a fine brush to check if payment details are included. Any itinerary that is official is acceptable and especially in Asia, they are sufficient to satisfy airline check-in clerks. Also, since most travel itineraries are in English, I wouldn't expect a non-native speaker to be able to interpret the finer details as well as native speakers (quite obviously) especially if the script used in the country of origin isn't even Roman script (like in the UAE, Thailand, China etc.)

However for me, whenever I am quizzed about possessing an onward ticket (which is rare) I simply state I already have one (which is usually enough) or produce a credit card (but first the official would need to request this from me). Usually the former is enough to satisfy officials. I've also noticed that it is becoming rarer (at least in my experience) to be questioned about onward tickets and in the rare cases I am, proof is not usually requested, a verbal statement is enough.

Another possibility is that the airline will allow you to check-in but forces you to sign an indemnity waiver releasing them of any responsibility should the passenger be refused entry to the destination country. I don't understand why more airlines don't do this - flat out refusing boarding sounds very strange when verbal confirmations, credit cards and other documents can all satisfy the requirements in lieu of actual onward tickets.

The air line was correct. Malaysia requires a requires a return or onward ticket.

Screen shot of IATA info from here: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

What I find most ridiculous is how countries like Malaysia, which is a neighboring country to Thailand and also in ASEAN requires onward tickets of Thai citizens (and citizens of other countries in ASEAN) when flying in, which clearly can't be enforced if entering overland. Irrespective of whether you drive a Thai car, catch a bus or hitchhike to the Malaysian border as a Thai citizen, you won't be asked for an airline ticket out of the country if entering this way. Same if you are a citizen of a third country that requires proof of onward travel if entering Malaysia by air.

I wonder if Singaporeans need onward tickets if flying from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, for instance (I'll check this in a minute on the Star Alliance or other website just to satisfy my own curiosity).

Another possibility is that the airline will allow you to check-in but forces you to sign an indemnity waiver releasing them of any responsibility should the passenger be refused entry to the destination country.

Wouldn't the destination country deem the airline responsible for returning people, and such a waiver therefore be between the wrong parties? Or does the passenger agree to reimburse the airline?

Another possibility is that the airline will allow you to check-in but forces you to sign an indemnity waiver releasing them of any responsibility should the passenger be refused entry to the destination country.

Wouldn't the destination country deem the airline responsible for returning people, and such a waiver therefore be between the wrong parties? Or does the passenger agree to reimburse the airline?

Doubtful, since the fines can be quite steep. Rather, the indemnity states that the passenger releases the airline of all liability. Anyway, my Vietnamese friend was asked to sign one for a one way Lufthansa flight from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok.

Doubtful, since the fines can be quite steep. Rather, the indemnity states that the passenger releases the airline of all liability. Anyway, my Vietnamese friend was asked to sign one for a one way Lufthansa flight from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok.

How can the passenger release the airline of all liability when the liability is imposed on the airline by the destination country?

How can the passenger release the airline of all liability when the liability is imposed on the airline by the destination country?

By signing the release the passenger undertakes to pay the airline the cost associated with their removal from a country which refuses entry

Simple !

Edited by Sceptict11
  • Like 1

By signing the release the passenger undertakes to pay the airline the cost associated with their removal from a country which refuses entry

Simple !

I imagine so... nothing to do with waiving the airline's responsibilities.

UPDATE

Well, thankfully like many of you said, I had no problems at all checking in. I walked up to check in and she asked how long was I staying in Thailand and said about a year, she said have you got a visa and I said yes and that was it!

I'm in Dubai right now on a 12 hour stop over but bloody happy about it :-)

Thanks for all the positive advice

• Like 1

Simple !

Correct. Anyway, the risk of being refused entry to Thailand if a citizen of an ASEAN country, Japan, South Korea, a western country or any other rich country is incredibly remote. The decision is normally made at check-in not at immigration. Most passengers that have problems at Thai immigration are from South Asia or Africa.

I'm no expert on this subject as I have always had a non imm O visa. But a couple of years ago it expired while I was out of the country on work, I just came in on the 28 day stamp but as an insurance, I bought the cheapest ticket possible (Air Asia I think) out of Thailand as something to show the airline and/or immigration in BKK.

Neither of them asked to see proof of further travel anyway.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck!

whistling.gif The airline is incorrect and those with a valid visa .... even if it is a tourist visa ,,,,, do not need a onward ticket.

If required ask for a supervisor at check in to have them check the IATA database requirements.

Those that require a onward ticket (note: Not a return ticket an onward ticket exiting Thailand) are those that arrive:

• Without a visa in their passport
  • And are eligible for a non visa exempt entry to Thailand (30 day entry stamp).

Those with a valid visa from a Thai embassy or consulate don't require an onward ticket.

Even if it is a tourist visa, no matter how many entries it is for.

Now, in some countries the Thai consulate there may want to see evidence of funds to purchase a outward ticket from Thailand BEFORE they issue you a visa to Thailand.

But that;s a local Thai consulate or embassy requirement particular to that country.

But, once you are issued a visa, you shouldn't need an onward ticket.