63 vendors nabbed for alcohol ads and drinks: Thailand

webfact

63 nabbed for alcohol ads and drinks
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public Health officials have punished 63 of the 204 alcohol vendors inspected from December 27-30 in Bangkok, Nakhon Ratchasima, Phetchabun, Loei and Chiang Mai - mostly for alcohol advertising and selling alcoholic beverages via prohibited promotional discounts.

First offenders face up to a year in jail and/or a fine up to Bt500,000 plus a daily fine of Bt50,000 until the advert is taken down. Repeat offenders face up to six months in jail and/or a fine up to Bt10,000.

A new "trick" found by officials - a "beer buffet" that encouraged people to drink more - could lead to accidents, according to Dr Saman Futrakul, director of the Disease Control Department's Office of Alcohol Beverage and Tobacco Consumption Control Committee.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-01

I know Thailand from 14 years ago and it is a shame how ridiculous Thailands laws get.

When you know who ruled Thailand all the time, it is no wonder that there is a big mob trying to get rid of Thaksin.

• Like 1

"Public Health officials have punished 63 of the 204 alcohol vendors inspected from December 27-30"

I feel safer already. I hope this means that the roads will be safe from the former alcohol consumers...... OOOPS.....Sorry for the interruption. I was just watching a 14 year old motor cycle driver crashing into a car while he was text messaging his buddy to pick up a case of Chiang before they shut down all the beer vendors. Once again, great job Disease Control Department's Office of Alcohol Beverage and Tobacco Consumption Control Committee.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

It's actually an older ruling that's only now starting to be enforced. We've all seen it in its television format of fuzzing out products

Lots of new beers cutting into the market share of the 2 big boys. Bet you can't guess who had a meeting about enforcing this anti promotion/advertising legislation?!?

And as regards beer bars even those dresses are illegal if they have the brand name on - however a green dress with a red star on would probably be acceptable.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Edited by 2unique
  • Like 1

I know Thailand from 14 years ago and it is a shame how ridiculous Thailands laws get.

When you know who ruled Thailand all the time, it is no wonder that there is a big mob trying to get rid of Thaksin.

Still trying to work out if this is a joke...

Still trying to work out if this is a joke...

it is not a joke. it just shows the mental capacity of some of the posters on TV. I just shake my head

• Like 2

If they really are doing alcohol/tobacco related actions for the benefit of public health, they should also start doing something about pesticide levels in fruit and veg (surveyed here a while back was over 100x the safe level and also using chemicals that are banned around the world), and on regulation of spraying insecticide in public spaces etc. It seems these things, while harmful to health, are not taxable and actually increase income by their use, ie. their very harmfulness - thus escaping any kind of "health purge" regulatory reforms. Also better water management, general infrastructure reforms, etc. will increase life-expectancy. But yes, beer and smoking are cheaper and simpler to focus on, under the health banner.

• Like 2

for God's sake this thread is about BEER why bring in politics? this is Thaksin's fault too?

• Like 1

First offenders face up to a year in jail and/or a fine up to Bt500,000 plus a daily fine of Bt50,000 until the advert is taken down. Repeat offenders face up to six months in jail and/or a fine up to Bt10,000.

And on the third and subsequent offences a two hundred baht donation to the BIB is satisfactory.

• Like 1

Nothing at all to do with beer consumtion, and everything to do with maintaining the beer cartel here in Thailand. I've been in restaurants where they've been forced to cover up a "Carlsberg" advert but could keep all the "Chang" adverts as they were for Chang bottled water!thumbsup.gif

The country has become a total nanny state now with regards to alcohol thanks to these interfering do-gooders and health fascists. Love it when they "fuzz-up" the picture on TV so we can't see the beer adverts, if the advert is behind the goal that gets "fuzzed-up" as well. Makes for great viewing!

Meanwhile, the Thai ladies volleyball team were on TV last night resplendid in their "Chang" sponsored shirts! Oh but that's Chang drinking water!

• Like 2

the whole concept is an absurdity just more veneer on Thailand's hypocritical stance on alcohol, sex and TV actors smoking/weapons

'must protect our Thai kids' !!! I mean they want them to grow up into truthful, honest, non-drinking citizens right? it's obviously working so well as I have never seen bar girls, drunk Thais, smokers or violence here

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 1

Nothing at all to do with beer consumtion, and everything to do with maintaining the beer cartel here in Thailand. I've been in restaurants where they've been forced to cover up a "Carlsberg" advert but could keep all the "Chang" adverts as they were for Chang bottled water!thumbsup.gif

The country has become a total nanny state now with regards to alcohol thanks to these interfering do-gooders and health fascists. Love it when they "fuzz-up" the picture on TV so we can't see the beer adverts, if the advert is behind the goal that gets "fuzzed-up" as well. Makes for great viewing!

Meanwhile, the Thai ladies volleyball team were on TV last night resplendid in their "Chang" sponsored shirts! Oh but that's Chang drinking water!

That's one of the smartest bits of advertising I've seen. If green it's alcohol but if blue aha your Honour tis but water we have here...

Brilliant

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement