Drivers warned of dangers of booze, fatigue

webfact

209 die on the road in first four days of holiday
Wattana Khamchu
The Nation

Drivers warned of dangers of booze, fatigue

BANGKOK: -- After four days of the so-called "seven dangerous days" of New Year, the 2013-14 holiday period has claimed 209 lives and injured 1,931 persons in a total of 1,818 road accidents, the Road Safety Centre reported yesterday.

Nakhon Ratchasima was the top province for cumulative deaths and injuries at 13 deaths and 81 injuries - while Nakhon Sawan reported the highest number of accidents at 66.

By comparison, last holiday period's first four days had claimed 201 lives and caused 1,897 injuries in 1,826 road accidents.

On December 30 alone there were 496 accidents killing 48 people and injuring 541 others, compared to the December 30, 2012 figures of 505 accidents in which 54 people died and 536 others were hurt, Education Ministry representative Chanvech Boonpraderm said.

Drunk driving remained the top cause of accidents - 44.76 per cent - followed by speeding at 23.39 per cent.

Most traffic accidents involved motorcycles - 79.65 per cent. Police manned 2,257 main checkpoints and arrested 101,523 traffic law violators, of whom 30,491 failed to show a driver's licence and 28,275 were motorcyclists not wearing a helmet.

Chiang Rai had the most accidents on the day with 23, while Chiang Mai and Udon Thani reported the most deaths with four each. Roi Et had the most injuries with 29 victims.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Chatchai Phromlert said the authority expected many travellers to head back to Bangkok from today onwards. Officials have been urged to adjust their checkpoints and service points accordingly as well as watching out for sleepy drivers and traffic law violators.

Permanent Secretary of the Public Health Ministry Dr Narong Sahametapat, urged the staff of all hospitals to be well prepared and rested to deal with emergencies.

He warned that the physical condition of a person failing to sleep 18 hours in a row could be equivalent to that of a drunk person with 50 milligrams per 100ml of alcohol in their blood. Such a level doubled the risk for an accident.

Drivers who stayed awake for 24 hours could be affected like an intoxicated person and face six times the risk of causing an accident.

He urged drivers to sleep 7-9 hours prior to travel, refrain from drinking booze, and take a break every 150 kilometres or after two hours of driving.

For men, the blood alcohol concentration limit of 50mg/100 ml is reached after no more than 2 standard drinks in the first hour and 1 standard drink each hour after that. For women, the limit means no more than 1 standard drink each hour.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-01

Chiang Rai = most accidents. Not surprising. For anyone who likes to speed through red lights, Chiang Rai would be a paradise. Never in the history of this city has anyone ever been pulled over for (what Americans call) 'a moving violation.' It's complete free-for-all.

There's even a stretch of road which goes by several orphanages, where large municipal red and white signs tell truck drivers to take a detour and not drive that stretch of road. The truckers are hauling sand and gravel and the weight tears up the road, and their speeding is dangerous to kids playing. How many truckers take the detour? Zero. What's the enforcement? Zero.

• Like 1

Chiang Rai = most accidents. Not surprising. For anyone who likes to speed through red lights, Chiang Rai would be a paradise. Never in the history of this city has anyone ever been pulled over for (what Americans call) 'a moving violation.' It's complete free-for-all.

There's even a stretch of road which goes by several orphanages, where large municipal red and white signs tell truck drivers to take a detour and not drive that stretch of road. The truckers are hauling sand and gravel and the weight tears up the road, and their speeding is dangerous to kids playing. How many truckers take the detour? Zero. What's the enforcement? Zero.

I was in Chiang Rai for xmas and regularly holiday there and know what you mean about the driving 'skills'. Not sure unique to the locals though as there are normally many idiots drivers from all over LOS vacationing there too. So many small, aggressive men in big, expensive SUVs that give nobody an inch on the road. Indeed, on our journey back, many vehicles couldn't even wait for me to pass, they would just pull right out in front of me, forcing me to brake heavily, this is on the highway too. That famous xmas spirit I suppose!

Not stopping at red lights, have you ever driven around Phitsanuloke? Wow, I don't know why they install traffic lights, everyone just ignores them, such a dangerous city to drive around.

"Drivers warned of dangers of booze, fatigue...the 2013-14 holiday period has claimed 209 lives and injured 1,931 persons in a total of 1,818 road accidents, the Road Safety Centre reported yesterday..."

When are they going to realize that the only warning that will work is heavy fines and jail sentences? Let the police collect 6,000 THB for each infraction and let them put the money in their own pockets. So what if they money doesn't find its way into the public coffers? As long as drivers know that they are going lose a lot of money by not obeying the traffic laws, they will start to take more responsibility. This will also motivate the police to do their jobs. In fact, they might start working overtime. Nothing else has worked so far. As long as corruption is ingrained in this society, they might as well tailor it to benefit the public.

Now you are adapting to Thai thinking but good ideas.

I've read these horror stories and seen the carnage on the roads for 15 years.

Nothing will educate the Thai's who know it all.

The nation suffers from never having been colonised. Thailand let the Japanese walk in in WW2 because they could not fight.

Vietnam beat the most powerful power on the planet.

How do you educate these people who know it all but know nothing?

They are brainwashed from the cradle. Thereafter money speaks loudest.

1,900 persons injured----1,800 accidents---------------------complete B##L S##T If we only assume that 2 vehicles involved in each one, it makes a mockery out of the figures given. ONLY1 injury to every pile up ???

I do never believe any stats now given out on any subject here in this country--------I have had enough-------TAT and others.

To cap it all the death figures are way lower than the average day ???? JOKE---and idiots to think we swallow it.

this yr.2014 they are going to start the campain for safer driving early.

they will recomend that everyone buys automatic vehicles and all drivers learn the art of drinking with their left hand and use their right for steering for those who are left hand ,no change. another bright ideaclap2.gif

and for those who insist on having a blow job get the driver to pull over.w00t.gif

Edited by meatboy

The nation suffers from never having been colonised. Thailand let the Japanese walk in in WW2 because they could not fight.

SAD but true

off topic slightly

Living in Phrachuap its amusing to watch them celebrate their glorious victory over the japs at Ao Manao! "Oh really Somchai!" ....seems their version of history is way different to the real facts , like so you say brainwashing with lies!

• Like 1

yes completely agree.

It's a completely waste of time.

It's impossible make them follow any rule or any advise. Since they are kids they grow up with completely

lack of rules or responsibility duties.

Is their life style.

It's this that make them different and attract millions of westerners visitors every year here.

Otherwise that's why I know I could not live in Thailand permanently.

The same rituals at every long holidays like Songkran and the government thought extending the holidays would be a bonus to the public and the government at the next election which is after Songkran. Well, they are sending more ppl to the graves earlier than expected, before Songkran. A sad story for those who lost loved ones. beatdeadhorse.gif

'To cap it all the death figures are way lower than the average day ???? JOKE---and idiots to think we swallow it. '

According to The Nation, 26,000 are killed annually on the roads of Thailand - an average of 71 per day. The four 'dangerous' days have killed 109 or 27 a day. If we had dangerous days all year round the annual rate would drop to 9,946, a saving of 16,054 people a year.

• Like 2

"Drivers warned of dangers of booze, fatigue...the 2013-14 holiday period has claimed 209 lives and injured 1,931 persons in a total of 1,818 road accidents, the Road Safety Centre reported yesterday..."

When are they going to realize that the only warning that will work is heavy fines and jail sentences? Let the police collect 6,000 THB for each infraction and let them put the money in their own pockets. So what if they money doesn't find its way into the public coffers? As long as drivers know that they are going lose a lot of money by not obeying the traffic laws, they will start to take more responsibility. This will also motivate the police to do their jobs. In fact, they might start working overtime. Nothing else has worked so far. As long as corruption is ingrained in this society, they might as well tailor it to benefit the public.

I certainly agree that harsher penalties are needed but I'm not so sure that would work. How do you know the police won't just stop people and demand 6000 THB regardless of whether they have been drinking or not.

I was stopped by the police on Monday whilst driving back from Buriram to Mahasarakham who checked me for alcohol with a piece of equipment I had to blow into. I detected the probable drunk driver just using my eyes. I'm pretty sure he was in the pickup next to me that did a very quick u turn when he saw what was happening. I'm also fairly certain the police did nothing about it.

The problem here seems to be that the police only operate if they have set up a check point.

'To cap it all the death figures are way lower than the average day ???? JOKE---and idiots to think we swallow it. '

According to The Nation, 26,000 are killed annually on the roads of Thailand - an average of 71 per day. The four 'dangerous' days have killed 109 or 27 a day. If we had dangerous days all year round the annual rate would drop to 9,946, a saving of 16,054 people a year.

As far as I know they only count deaths if they occur on the day of the accident as well.

Driving on the freeway just outside of Bangkok today, I saw the typical jackass minibus driver swerving everywhere. And then something I've never seen before - a highway patrol car pulled him over! Maybe this is step 1 and that police may have saved a dozen people today.

Let them drive as drunk and as fast as they want. Anyone with normal intelligence will stay off the roads. Everyone else will be dealt with accordingly. Natural selection has a way of dealing with the weakest and dumbest of our species.