Thai highway death toll reaches 266 on fifth of seven New Year's holidays

webfact

Thai highway death toll reaches 266 on fifth of seven New Year's holidays
By Digital Content

13885544855651.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 1 -- Two hundred sixty six people were killed in road accidents throughout Thailand during the first five days of the "seven high-risk New Year’s holiday days" from December 27 through January 2, according to the Road Safety Centre.

There were 2,355 road accidents with 2,502 injuries reported from December 27-31. Drunken driving was identified as the main cause of the accidents, according to Assistant Commissioner General Pol Lt Gen Ruengsak Jarit-ek

The government launched the seven-day campaign to cut road accidents during the New Year celebration.

On December 31 alone, there were 537 road accidents, killing 57 people and injuring 571 others.

Overall, the most deaths were reported in Nakhon Ratchasima with 15 casualties, while the highest number of injured was seen in Nakhon Ratchasima at 98.

A major cause of road accidents involved drunken driving at 47.86 per cent. Motorcycles are the vehicle type with the highest number of accidents at 83.99 per cent. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-01

Picked wifey up from a temple this morning after she stayed there over night for the New Year prayers. It was 85kms away and on the way there I saw the aftermath of three major accidents, all pickups. One was being winched out of a drainage ditch and had an obvious fatality nearby.

So sad and so unessessary.

• Like 1

Just walked next door to celebrate last night. A bit scary, the place is on a blind bend. The number of idiots on motor bikes no crash helmet, and no lights. Taking the corner on the wrong side of the road

Germany started building a good highway system as early as the late 1930's. The USA didn't start building an interstate system until the early 50's.

Thailand has had plenty of time to observe and realizes the cost for a safer and more efficient system is far to expensive. Dividing corruption costs with infrastructure expense outlays is likely far too much for most countries and especially Thailand.

Thailand will need to wait many more years for a safer and overall better road system.

Obviously like their politics ,they have along way to go , before their road fatality numbers are to fall, this is one problem they can't blame entirely on Thaskin Shinawatra, unless the previous PM was instrumental in the poor standard of education, from the grass roots up, as we all know ,the education standard has been poor for decades, not to let THaskin off lightly , he and the top end of town would hate to have all of Thailand with high education ,as they would know the difference between a con and a bribe in the vote stakes, however back to the subject , speed and no comprehension through the thought process are the major factors.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

266 people die in road accidents within five days

caraccident1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Death toll for the first five days of the safe driving campaign during the New Year’s festival has climbed up to 266 with 57 people killed and 571 injured in a single day on December 31.

According to the Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, there were altogether 2,355 road accidents across the country resulting to 266 deaths and 2,502 injured during the past five days since December 27 when the campaign started.

Nakhon Sawan tops the list of the provinces with the highest rate of accidents with 89 accidents being registered. But the province which champions the highest death toll and injuries is Nakhon Ratchasima with 15 deaths and 98 injured respectively.

Drunk driving accounts for 47.86 of all the accidents, followed by 28.49 percent of speed driving. Motorcycles amount for the 83.99 percent of the vehicles involved in accidents.

Twelve provinces have not reported any death toll from road accidents. They are Phayao, Mae Hong Son, Bung Karn, Yasothon, Chanthaburi , Chainat, Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Samut Songkram, Sing Buri, Pattani and Phang-nga.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/266-people-die-road-accidents-within-five-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-01

Germany started building a good highway system as early as the late 1930's. The USA didn't start building an interstate system until the early 50's.

Thailand has had plenty of time to observe and realizes the cost for a safer and more efficient system is far to expensive. Dividing corruption costs with infrastructure expense outlays is likely far too much for most countries and especially Thailand.

Thailand will need to wait many more years for a safer and overall better road system.

The problem is not the roads. In fact I consider the roads to generally be excellent.

The problem is the loony tunes behind the wheel or handlebars.

And nothing will ever change in that department.

You considered opinion re road conditions, OK but where ??? the second biggest highway 2 from Nong khai to Korat and on is dangerous, the surface in a big percentage of it is riddled with pot holes. deep enough to bring down a m/cycle or buckle a mag on a car. from Khorat to Kabin Buri 304 is much the same.

Biggest problem is driving you have to look out for the holes, instead of 100% eyes on other hazards.

I drive on this route to Jomptien regular so this is no bashing, anyone who denies this would have to be on something not to witness it.

There are some good sections agreed but in 630 kilometers there has to be some. because of the good parts you get lulled into the fact that it's ok then Boom. the last trip cost me a puncture and a new mag wheel.

The problem is not the roads. In fact I consider the roads to generally be excellent.

You considered opinion re road conditions, OK but where ??? the second biggest highway 2 from Nong khai to Korat and on is dangerous, the surface in a big percentage of it is riddled with pot holes. deep enough to bring down a m/cycle or buckle a mag on a car. from Khorat to Kabin Buri 304 is much the same.

Biggest problem is driving you have to look out for the holes, instead of 100% eyes on other hazards.

I drive on this route to Jomptien regular so this is no bashing, anyone who denies this would have to be on something not to witness it.

There are some good sections agreed but in 630 kilometers there has to be some. because of the good parts you get lulled into the fact that it's ok then Boom. the last trip cost me a puncture and a new mag wheel.

I know that road well and have driven it many times but not for about 18 months and it could well be a great deal worse by now.

Most of my driving was between Maha Sarakham and either Khon Kaen or Roiet. Those roads are devided 4 lanes 95% of the way and in fantastic condition or at least used to be.

Maybe the Government is not spending the money maintaining the roads at the moment and saving for bullets, gas masks, riot shields and the like.

However, I am sticking by my statement that the roads are not the cause of the high number of deaths.

Edited by noddy77
  • Like 1

I know that road well and have driven it many times but not for about 18 months and it could well be a great deal worse by now.

Most of my driving was between Maha Sarakham and either Khon Kaen or Roiet. Those roads are devided 4 lanes 95% of the way and in fantastic condition or at least used to be.

Maybe the Government is not spending the money maintaining the roads at the moment and saving for bullets, gas masks, riot shields and the like.

However, I am sticking by my statement that the roads are not the cause of the high number of deaths.

Thanks for the post. I agree the roads are not the cause of the high death rate.

your roads are decent across from M/S-Roiet it is this Highway 2 north to south that is so bad. Problem is penny pinching repairs, and cheap jack re surfacing, in no time after much rain up comes the surface. The money may well have been dished out for good repairs but no one is stopping the corrupt cream off that lead to sub standard work.

Death toll during 7 dangerous days rises to 266

BANGKOK, 1 January 2014 (NNT) - A total of 57 people were killed and 571 injured in 537 road accidents on the last day of 2013, the fifth day of the "seven dangerous days” of the festive period.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department's Road Safety Operation Centre reported that Tuesday’s fatal accidents increased the road toll to 266 killed and 2,502 injured in 2,355 accidents.

The death toll was a slight increase from that during the same period a year ago.

The province with the highest accumulated number of deaths, injuries and accidents in the past three days was Nakhon Ratchasima, where 15 people were killed and 98 injured during the New Year period in the province.

12 provinces that saw no traffic-related deaths include Trat, Mae Hong Son and Samut Songkram.

Drink-driving and speeding remain the major causes of accidents during the dangerous week.

Early on New Year’s morning, three people were also killed and ten injured in a shooting near Mor Chit 2 Terminal. A fight broke out between motorcycle taxi drivers and residents living near the terminal, during which both sides fire at each other following arguments.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-01 footer_n.gif

I am waiting for the day where the headlines in the papers read "Road deaths for 20?? Reduced by over 80% " it would be easy to do which I think the government here in Thailand would jump at . All they have to do is only count the deaths in vehicles involved in accidents with 4 wheels or more . As we all know HISO'S do not drive 2 wheeled transport so technically to them they do not exist .

• Like 1

Agreed. In fact I have often wondered if the roads are too good for the standards of driving? What I mean by that is look at the farce of what they call the driving test for a licence in this country? Thailand now has many multilane highways for high-speed driving but driver education and driving tests haven't adequately kept up with advancements in infrastructure.

The problem is described in the title of this post, which is "seven new year's holidays".

Make just January 1st a holiday like every other country in the world and you won't have everyone out on the streets for a week causing accidents. There's really no need to start the party on the 27th or 28th. Normal people everywhere else work until the 31st in the evening and then go home for the party.

I don't think Hitler had road safety on his list of objectives when the Autobahns were built.....it was the best way of moving the Wehrmacht from one side to the other and quickly.....also employed a lot of people!!

266 people die in road accidents within five days

caraccident1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Death toll for the first five days of the safe driving campaign during the New Year’s festival has climbed up to 266 with 57 people killed and 571 injured in a single day on December 31.

According to the Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, there were altogether 2,355 road accidents across the country resulting to 266 deaths and 2,502 injured during the past five days since December 27 when the campaign started.

Nakhon Sawan tops the list of the provinces with the highest rate of accidents with 89 accidents being registered. But the province which champions the highest death toll and injuries is Nakhon Ratchasima with 15 deaths and 98 injured respectively.

Drunk driving accounts for 47.86 of all the accidents, followed by 28.49 percent of speed driving. Motorcycles amount for the 83.99 percent of the vehicles involved in accidents.

Twelve provinces have not reported any death toll from road accidents. They are Phayao, Mae Hong Son, Bung Karn, Yasothon, Chanthaburi , Chainat, Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Samut Songkram, Sing Buri, Pattani and Phang-nga.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/266-people-die-road-accidents-within-five-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-01-01

These stats just don't make any sense whatsoever, the national average death toll on Thai roads is 72 per day throughout the year, so are these over and above that figure?

If not then this would make it the safest time of the year on Thai roads.

Let's see. 26,000 deaths a year would be about 350 in a typical five day period, so if only 266 have died this must be one of the safest times of year. In reality, I would guess the true death toll for the past five days is about 500. Police will be under pressure from head office to keep their figures down, so that's exactly what they do.

• Like 1

does any one in this f--ked uped country have a driving license, i supose not as it would not make any difference with a thai errr brain

Unfortunately, I have to admit that I do. Not hard to get, but then I've been driving for over 50 years.

Your still on L plates then ?? only 50 years driving. is that all. ??

Makes me blo#ody ancient then. cheesy.gifAnyway Happy new year mate keep up the honest posts. ginjag

One thing the statistics don't report is how many of the injured return to back to their normal life. For many victims, the suffering can be long for themselves as well as their loved ones.

Or how many died later from their injuries?

Let's see. 26,000 deaths a year would be about 350 in a typical five day period, so if only 266 have died this must be one of the safest times of year. In reality, I would guess the true death toll for the past five days is about 500. Police will be under pressure from head office to keep their figures down, so that's exactly what they do.

The main-article wrote about "Highway death toll", so the 266 died only on highways, if the news is correct...

By the way, in my neighborhood have a police control point since a few days, never see they stop anybody...

For the next election, I have a suggestion for control the alcohol level...0,00%...whistling.gif

• Like 1

Germany started building a good highway system as early as the late 1930's. .

And we all know, what happened later!!w00t.gif

Don't give Suthep any ideas> (He is crazy enough as it is)

Hey you, farang... off the gas, errrr, showers you go!