Are Bar Girls Voting With Their Feet?

pnustedt

I couldn't help notice the big increase in Thai girls now working the bars in HK. They usually come over on one month tourist visas which they renew by hopping the border to Shenzen or Macau - no work permits.

In just one bar there were literally hundreds - most seem pretty disillusioned as there are too many girls for too few customers.

Just wondering, have you seen a corresponding decrease in the girls in Bkk/Pattaya?

In just one bar there were literally hundreds - most seem pretty disillusioned as there are too many girls for too few customers

There will be even less customers soon, and even less bar girls. At least here in Bangkok.

I know a couple of girls who have gone to Singapore for a month and come back with up to half a million baht. I do not know what a girl could earn in BKK or Pattaya but that sounds like a good enough incentive to travel OS for work don't you think?

Plus I guess it is not really working, it is a holiday with a lot of fun thrown in :o

The girlie scene in Hong Kong is dead dead dead....and what is left is just a run down strip in Wan Chai. The only time the girls can make any money is during the now incredibly rare US warship visits to HK.

Apart from gogo bars, the disco's are awash with embedded Thai girls that live permanently in HK. New arrivals will find it impossible to make the money they were led to believe. There simply aren't the customers in HK now as the wealthy businessmen are few and far between.

Compounding this is the fact that there are around 40,000 filippino maids living and working there, who often top up their megre wages by freelancing in the evenings.

The costs!!!!! Beleive it or not, if you consider that barfining a girl in Wan Chai will cost you hundreds of US$, it really is cheaper to fly to the Philippines/Thailand, book into a hotel, have you fun with a girls for the night and then fly back again.....HK is no place for the average guy. Is Banking and finance chaps only and there's not enough of them to go round for the girls.

A dear friend of mine left for HK just about 3 weeks ago, she has told me has done quite well. She is neither sexy nor a stunner.

The girlie scene in Hong Kong is dead dead dead....

I am certainly not dounting wat you say Flummoxed, but as this is her first trip, and she has sent quite a bit of money home so far I am wondering what the real truth is. 6/7 years ago a girl in Singapore could expect $3-400 sing for a long time, now they are looking at $150-200 at best. Stangely enought there was a higher woman to man ratio 6/7 years ago, now there is more men but fewer girls.

What is a long time bar fine in BKK? is it still better to work OS?

I knew 6/7 years ago, but am now a happily married man so I do not know what the current climate is.

Dunno prices seem to vary from what my mates tell me. Obviously more in Bangkok and less in Pattaya.

<750 Baht + Bar Fine - Pattaya

<1500 Baht + Bar Fine - Bangkok

So many variables, hard to really peg numbers down, however this might be accurate to a certain extent.

Dunno prices seem to vary from what my mates tell me. Obviously more in Bangkok and less in Pattaya.

So many variables, hard to really peg numbers down, however this might be accurate to a certain extent.

patpong gals would laugh hysterically at these rates !

you might find a an old dog for 3000-4000 ruff ruff

The girlie scene in HK certainly wasn't dead last weekend and no navy ships in sight.

It is changing tho'. The girlie bars are quiet, but they charge HK$220 plus 10% (Baht 1100) for a drink for a girl, up to HK$4,000 (Baht 20,000) for a bar fine. So not too many takers.

A lot of girls in the discos, drinks for the girls at HK$65 (Baht 320), take one out for maybe HK$1,000-HK$1,500 (Bt 5-7K), negotiate with the girl, no bar fine. As I said previously, there is a big increase in the numbers of girls on tourist visas from Thailand. The action doesn't start 'till nearly midnight and goes on till 7 a.m. at weekends. I know that some of the girls are struggling - there are so many of them.

There's actually 160,000 Philippinos in HK, but there seems to be less of them on the bar scene now and more Thais.

Dunno prices seem to vary from what my mates tell me.  Obviously more in Bangkok and less in Pattaya.

Wow, you got taken then! The prices britmaveric quoted are spot on from December 2003 (a scant 2 months ago!)

I'll throw in that Patong is around 1000-1500 + BF depending on the place. (Even more ironic is that the quality of the girl seems to be less important than the place she works at!)

If you are paying 3k in patpong for the best of the best then you need to work on your negotiating skills.

At 2am I can easily have pick of the lot for 500bt and no bar fines! This is an excellent tactic for any off nights. (Sunday/Monday esp.)

I'm 27 and not overweight, so YMMV. Still I have some buddies in the higher age/weight brackets and the only time they've thrown down 3-4k is if the girl had excellent conversation skills.

Just like everything in Thailand there are three prices. Thai price, farang price, and tourist price. Sounds like you're still in the third. :o

Usually at Cowboy of Nana it is 1000 plus fine, either there are alot of rich people around or a lot of conned people??

When I mentioned 40,000 filippino girls, that was the estimate that dabbled in the sex industry when I lived there a couple oif years ago.

The girls do indeed take a hearty comission on the lady drinks.......but really, during the week Wan Chai is a ghost town. The 5,6,7 a.m. closing times were great though!

I was surprised at the variety of girls who go there to try their luck. I met my first Indonesian girl in Wan Chai. there are Vietnamese, Burmese......they're all there jostling for space at the bar......with almost no custom.

I met my first Indonesian girl in Wan Chai. there are Vietnamese, Burmese......they're all there

It really is amazing where some of the girls come from - remote areas of China, old communist bloc, south America, Korea, of course Nepal, India, etc. I and some of my mates used to have a large world map which we stuck pins on. If there was a new girl from some really obscure place she was always the most popular! :o

Dunno prices seem to vary from what my mates tell me.  Obviously more in Bangkok and less in Pattaya.

Eric,

I think your girls must still be paying for their sex change ops.

No old dog for 3-4000 baht, but a bed full of young puppies.

I am sure Eric is a nice guy...

Check for the Adams apple Eric.

Bar girls have no vote...not untill prostitution becomes legal, along with the 12 oclock closing times, wow this will surely improve Thailands image, and not to mention the moral stance the gov't is taking. :o