working online

I have a website that generates money, last night I had a heated debate over the issue of me being in Thailand and taking care of my website, my friend said I was working without a work permit, I said, online it does not matter.

Am I breaking the law ?

Thanks Joe.

I hope your friend is not Thai. It is illegal to work in Thailand but as long as you keept it to yourself and work from your home there will be no problems..

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Technically according to the law yes. But many are doing the same thing.

Thanks Joe, do you live in Thailand ?

Are you breaking the law being a moderator ?

Yes I live in Ubon. In my opinion no.

But you said technically. according to the law, I would be breaking the law working online, so are you saying you are breaking the law?

Technically according to the law yes. But many are doing the same thing.

Thanks Joe, do you live in Thailand ?

Are you breaking the law being a moderator ?

As you asked this in the public forum rather than by PM I hope you don't mind me answering, and I hope the mods don't either!

As far as I know some moderators are volunteers and some are paid (could be wrong, don't shoot me for that !); if a paid moderator is living in Thailand s/he needs a work permit (and to declare earnings for tax here).

Voluntary work undertaken by foreigners is also regulated in Thailand, just as it is in our home countries; personally I would not put TV voluntary moderators in the category of voluntary work - rather it's a hobby. But I'm pretty sure a good lawyer could find holes in that argument a mile wide.

By the way, this is not in any way a reflection on UJ, whose knowledge of visa issues and general helpfulness is truly exceptional.

Joe, I'm sure you're a great guy and give a lot of people valuable information, but, is it legal, are you constantly waiting for the door to be kicked in by a Thai SWAT team. catching you at the keyboard ?

If so, why do it ?

Edited by 10Yen

Thanks Joe.

I hope your friend is not Thai.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What is that supposed to mean ?

It could mean that illegal activity is rapidly reported to the authorities resulting in arrest, detention, court appearance, big fine + possible jail time. Followed by deportation.

Are you bored or just a Troll ?

1- any activity not strictly for leisure in Thailand, be it paid or not, volunteered or not, is considered work.

2- foreigners require a work permit to perform work in Thailand.

3- Immigration officers / dept of Labor officers have room for assessing whether the foreigner's activity constitutes work or not (you might guess the outcome).

4- Officers can use publicly available evidence or make inspections anytime at any publicly accessible location, but need a warrant to enter private premises.

5- Warrants are not issued lightly on some suspicion that a foreigner might be working on his computer in his home, they got other fish to catch.

6- If the foreigner is resident in Thailand, he should theoretically pay taxes on the money earned from his work and that he imports into Thailand.

7- Thai tax code says if the money is earned abroad and left abroad for more than 12 months, it can later be imported into Thaland tax free.

8- Foreign taxation of these revenues depends on many things, in most free countries, offshore revenue is not subject to tax.

• Like 1

'3- Immigration officers / dept of Labor officers have room for assessing whether the foreigner's activity constitutes work or not (you might guess the outcome).'

I was told last year when renewing my marriage visa that I did not need a work permit , by immigration , to sign company documents ...

'3- Immigration officers / dept of Labor officers have room for assessing whether the foreigner's activity constitutes work or not (you might guess the outcome).'

I was told last year when renewing my marriage visa that I did not need a work permit , by immigration , to sign company documents ...

One assumes you got that advice written down , signed by an immigration officer and sealed with a official stamp ?

Thought not !smile.png

One assumes you got that advice written down , signed by an immigration officer and sealed with a official stamp ?

Thought not !smile.png

yes , not.. unfortunately sad.png