Barclays Bank card

I currently have a Barclays current account but I am concerned about managing my finances when I retire in Thailand. At that time I will have no UK address.

Of most concern is the security of my bank card when the bank sends a replacement if that replacement is being sent to Thailand.

I have heard that many banks require the card to be activated when it is received by the card holder. Does Barclays have such a system?

The last time I received a card from Barclays I did not have to activate it.

I've had no issue activating cards sent to me by using Skype to call the relevant number.

Do note that Barclays appear to have a pretty draconian policy of closing your account if they suspect you're no longer living in the UK.

I've had no issue activating cards sent to me by using Skype to call the relevant number.

Do note that Barclays appear to have a pretty draconian policy of closing your account if they suspect you're no longer living in the UK.

Must depend on the branch. Mine sent my last card over by courier, unasked, and of course they send all statements to my Thai address.

Edited by Bpuumike

I too use Barclays, and they are fully aware that I no longer live in the UK, but they do require a UK address to send any statements and cards to. Certainly my branch would not send my new card to Thailand. I had to send it to my parents and then have them forward it to me.

Another good thing about Barclays is that now if you tell them once that you are coming here, you should never have any problems using your card to pay or in the ATM, (previously I had to notify them every 6 months that I was still in Thailand).

So in summary;

You will need to maintain a UK address

They will not post new cards or pin readers to your Thai address

Edit, having read the above post, it would seem that it is my branch that imposes the above rules :-)

Edited by bigt116

2 different cards and 2 different rules.

Debit cards can be sent abroad.

Credit cards cannot. They have to be sent to the registered address.

http://ask.barclays.co.uk/contact/faq/day2day_banking/replace_card

I just had a new Barclay's Miles and More Mastercard (credit card) sent to my Thai address via Fed EX with just a phone call to the US. Maybe they have different rules in the UK

2 different cards and 2 different rules.

Debit cards can be sent abroad.

Credit cards cannot. They have to be sent to the registered address.

http://ask.barclays.co.uk/contact/faq/day2day_banking/replace_card

My branch of Barclays UK send my renewed credit and debit cards directly to me in Thailand. Have never had a problem with delivery.

I think the security lies in the need to activate the cards which is easily done by phone going through their security questions. I generally use Skype but find DTAC is not expensive either,especially if you use 004 before the UK country code 44.

On the other hand they will only send a PIN reader to a UK address.

Edited by Bpuumike

The issue regards Debit cards not credit cards.

I am not asking about using the card the question is about security when the new card is sent to a Thai address.

The link does say for debit & credit cards that the rules are different - if you bothered to read it.

Why not simply get on the phone to Barclays and ask them?

Read their FAQ(s)

Pose the question to them and then you just might get the info you need?

Hell, they even give direct numbers to call using a CAT card or similar, if you could bother to go to Barclays website and look for it.

• Like 1

Seems like Barlcays are totally inconsistent. I was very clearly told by my branch when I moved overseas that if I became a non resident in the UK then I would not be able to have a UK bank account. They even phones my recently threatening to close my account as they believed that I was non resident.

Also their recent change so you can no longer notify them online when travelling means that my debit card gets refused about 90% of the time when overseas. I made a complaint asking why they had changed this (I used to just use the online banking system to notify them of my travel plans and never had my card refused once) and they replied that their anti fraud system is so good now they do not need to have this pre notification now. So I wrote back and asked why if their anti fraud system is so good does it 99% of the time refuse to allow me to take money out of the ATM machines at Bangkok airport as this is one of the most common transactions I have going through my account. They replied that their anti fruad system does not look at individual customers spending patterns but at the average customers spending pattern. Therefore it is totally and utterly useless for spotting fraud in my account.

I did read all the replies. Perhaps it was my fault not indicating that the request is for Debit cards not Credit cards.

I did contact Barclays. They informed me the cards are pre activated. According to them all transactions require a pin so new cards cannot be used.

However real life experience is the best guide. If it is possible to have non activated debit cards this will be ideal.

Thanks everyone

Do those of you who receive DEBIT CARDS have to activate them?

I have to. It's a layer of security when they are mailed from the UK to Thailand.

It's striking me from the replies that every branch has it's own policies.

I have to. It's a layer of security when they are mailed from the UK to Thailand.

Thanks it does seem that different policies are being operated. My branch said they will send the card pre-activated. From what I understand from those of you who receive Debit cards in Thailand this is actually quite safe.

If there is any fraudulent activity Barclays said they will reverse these transactions.

I will feel more comfortable if the Debit card is not activated.

I take it you have a Barclays Debit card?

Thanks it does seem that different policies are being operated. My branch said they will send the card pre-activated. From what I understand from those of you who receive Debit cards in Thailand this is actually quite safe.

If there is any fraudulent activity Barclays said they will reverse these transactions.

My Barclays debit cards need to be activated. Ask your branch to do the same.

As I understand it, you will only be compensated for fraudulent use of credit card, not debit card.

If you are worried, do the same as many here. Open an account keeping a small balance and have a debit card issued against that account. Transfer funds from your main account.

I don't think I have ever used my debit card in Thailand, I only have it for rare visits to the UK. For any online transactions I use my Barclays credit card.

In Thailand I use my Bangkok Bank debit card for routine transactions.

My Barclays debit cards need to be activated. Ask your branch to do the same.

As I understand it, you will only be compensated for fraudulent use of credit card, not debit card.

If you are worried, do the same as many here. Open an account keeping a small balance and have a debit card issued against that account. Transfer funds from your main account.

I don't think I have ever used my debit card in Thailand, I only have it for rare visits to the UK. For any online transactions I use my Barclays credit card.

In Thailand I use my Bangkok Bank debit card for routine transactions.

Good advice about keeping the balance low.

Since I do not have a UK address I cannot get a credit card or open another account.

I will ask for the card to be activated by writing. When I spoke to Barclays on the phone they did not accept this option.

I have a Barclaycard (credit card) with no U.K. address. They wouldn't send a new card to Thailand when the old card expired but they were happy to send it to Malaysia. So, I changed my address to a yacht club that I visit sometimes in Langkawi. Collected the card next time I was there, then changed my address back to my Thai house. I have elected for no paper statements as several never arrived anyway.

Seems like Barlcays are totally inconsistent. I was very clearly told by my branch when I moved overseas that if I became a non resident in the UK then I would not be able to have a UK bank account. They even phones my recently threatening to close my account as they believed that I was non resident.

Also their recent change so you can no longer notify them online when travelling means that my debit card gets refused about 90% of the time when overseas. I made a complaint asking why they had changed this (I used to just use the online banking system to notify them of my travel plans and never had my card refused once) and they replied that their anti fraud system is so good now they do not need to have this pre notification now. So I wrote back and asked why if their anti fraud system is so good does it 99% of the time refuse to allow me to take money out of the ATM machines at Bangkok airport as this is one of the most common transactions I have going through my account. They replied that their anti fruad system does not look at individual customers spending patterns but at the average customers spending pattern. Therefore it is totally and utterly useless for spotting fraud in my account.

Since their notification change have used mine in Iraq (ATM), Dubai, Qatar and of course Thailand (ATM's and shopping) with no problem.

Must admit I haven't tried an ATM at the airport in BKK though.

Edited by Bpuumike

Good advice about keeping the balance low.

Since I do not have a UK address I cannot get a credit card or open another account.

I will ask for the card to be activated by writing. When I spoke to Barclays on the phone they did not accept this option.

The reason is they need to ask you security questions to establish that you are the person you claim to be.