Rip off red songtheaw drivers.

thaibeachlovers

Interestingly the American who is murdered in that video had lived in Thailand for three years and spoke fluent Thai, according to a report in the NY Daily News. He also had a Thai wife, so he knew and understood the Thai culture. If he can make a mistake like that, anyone can.

Be careful here in Thailand. One miscalculation can cost you your life. The Thais do not think they way farangs think. Sometimes they don't think at all, and react like animals, as in this case.

Interesting the picture shows the victim running towards the attacker not away from him.

No mention of what built up to it was the passenger sober. Looks to me like he was attempting stupidly to attack a guy with a samari sword. Living in Thailand for three years he should have known enough to run away. It is not like the cab driver had the sword out. What did he do when the cab driver was getting it out stand by waiting for it.

Sensationalism with no background. Some people will believe anything. Also it was a cab not a songthaew. But it fits right in with a persons negative view against Thai's.

The American did nothing to provoke it all he did was stand there watch the cab driver get the sword out get out of his cab and attack him.

I have some swamp land for sale in Arizona if you are interested. It has a bridge over it that is included in the deal.

hellodolly, you did not understand that video clip at all. Look again, or listen to the news speaker who tries to explain it to you.

That video shows a very, very, impressive act of self-defence from what appears to be an older gentleman being attacked by a crazy man with a sword. Almost anyone else would freeze, and then perhaps be hacked to death, or try to run away, and then perhaps be hacked to death from behind.

At the point the video starts, which it looks like is just before the older man noticed the taxi driver coming up from behind, the distance between the two is obviously too short for the man to attempt to run away, even were he Usain Bolt waiting for the start signal. He would not have any chance of escaping the first slash if he were to try running away at that point. Instead he brings up his arm, trying to block the sword-swinging arm of the taxi driver and at the same time trying to reduce some of the distance to the taxi driver, to increasing the chance he will get close enough to block the arm rather than the sword. He then continues to defend himself, keeping his arms raised to protect his head and neck. This is a gentleman with previous training and a very cool mind.

There is nothing in the video giving any indication he was not sober. Quite the contrary. He is stable on his feet, not stumbling or even getting them crossed in this life-or-death situation as he does what looks like the most sensible thing. Nor is he attempting to attack the taxi-driver in any other way than as self-defence.

hellodolly, I find your nonsense insulting to this gentleman's memory. Show some respect for a dead man who died like a hero, defending his life against a sword-wielding maniac.

R.I.P.

Make all the assumptions you like. You like me know nothing more than what was shown. Did it not strike you that there was a reason for the altercation.

The ones I care about are the family and I can not say that they are bothered by it either. They might be happy. Just keep on assuming the worst and don't question any thing.

Oh! So there was a reason for hacking an unarmed man to death.

That's ok thenwhistling.gif

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Scum of the Earth'.........Songthew drivers, tuk tuk drivers, taxi drivers and the absolute worse is the tricycle drivers in the Philippines. All too lazy, too greedy and too stupid to do actual work and then prey on helpless tourists. There are a few exceptions, but most are the lowest forms of life on the planet in most cities in every country.

US$3.06 to get to the airport!!!! Disgraceful. What were they planning to do with all that money? Buy a Mercedes? One things for sure they wouldn't buy food for their children with it.

Indeed, that would be hard I suspect. I remember seeing a foreigner trying to pay for an ice-coffee with an USD bill once, but the staff would have none of it. They said something like "why do you try to use your foreign money here? Do you not know this is Thailand?"

Was that you I saw, saroq?

Nope not me, I only travel with $1000 bills. Honestly the OP needed to get to the airport and the complaint is that it's going to cost him/her US$3.06 to get there. If $3.06 is make or break for the OP then he/she has bigger problems than rip of songtheaw drivers in Thailand.

Edited by saroq

I think even though the standard is 20 thb on the red, it is best to say how much before you hop in. A place like the airport will not be on their way, but they usually will try the 100 thb thing, but will do it for 60. Leaving the airport prices drop by 50% by the time you get to the weather bureau....so many options in CNX and most are cheaper than any other airport I have been to. PP is quite a bit more, and even the rail link in BKK willbe more by the time you add an mrt and a bts or taxi, but that is really nice, too.

Edited by Thighlander

I won't use songtheaws or tuk-tuks. They are environmentally destructive and I simply won't support them as they drive around town spewing horrible exhaust fumes.

Not to mention, it's just too hit or miss with the drivers.

Bangkok now has a few solar tuk-tuks that I'm looking forward to using when I see them.

US$3.06 to get to the airport!!!! Disgraceful. What were they planning to do with all that money? Buy a Mercedes? One things for sure they wouldn't buy food for their children with it.

Indeed, that would be hard I suspect. I remember seeing a foreigner trying to pay for an ice-coffee with an USD bill once, but the staff would have none of it. They said something like "why do you try to use your foreign money here? Do you not know this is Thailand?"

Nope not me, I only travel with $1000 bills. Honestly the OP needed to get to the airport and the complaint is that it's going to cost him/her US$3.06 to get there. If $3.06 is make or break for the OP then he/she has bigger problems than rip of songtheaw drivers in Thailand.

The op did not say anything about it being a make or break situation, so I don't see how it would make any sense to imply that. Once you stop being a short-term tourist (and instead become a long-term tourists, which is all most of us will ever become) you normally also understand that it does not make any sense to translate the Thai price to USD, GBP, Chinese Yen, or whatever other currency you used where you lived before. It's simply not relevant for anything but short-term tourists. By translating the OP's price to USD and then ridiculing him, you only end up looking like a fool.

• Like 2

The op did not say anything about it being a make or break situation, so I don't see how it would make any sense to imply that. Once you stop being a short-term tourist (and instead become a long-term tourists, which is all most of us will ever become) you normally also understand that it does not make any sense to translate the Thai price to USD, GBP, Chinese Yen, or whatever other currency you used where you lived before. It's simply not relevant for anything but short-term tourists. By translating the OP's price to USD and then ridiculing him, you only end up looking like a fool.

We're all long-term tourists are we? I live here, have a business, a house, a wife, kids and grandkids so I'm not a tourist , long or short term, and I am certainly not a guest in their country. If you are, speak for yourself.

The point of translating it into dollars or whatever, is to highlight that it is an insignificant amount in relation to what most of us who live here have as an income. Whether it is converted to dollars, yen, riyals, or shekels, 100 baht is a trivial amount for a ride to the airport, unless you are living on a local salary, which most of us aren't, I hope.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 2

BTW, in Pattaya the standard price is 10 baht and you don't have to haggle. A much superior town to C M in most respects.

Certainly in the demimondaine department.

you've been reading books from your shelves with long words again! was I the only one who had to look this up? whistling.gif

BTW, in Pattaya the standard price is 10 baht and you don't have to haggle. A much superior town to C M in most respects.

you've been reading books from your shelves with long words again! was I the only one who had to look this up? whistling.gif

It's a Trink-ism.

(Now you get to look up Bernard Trink wink.png )

Speaking of Trink, his columns are still a main source of "wisdom" for self-appointed 'old hands'. If you read one of his columns from nearly 20 years ago, it could easily be Thaivisa-post material today. (e.g: http://web.archive.org/web/20030502052936/http://search.bangkokpost.co.th/bkkpost/1996/june1996/bp960622/2206bt.html )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

It's a Tink-ism.

(Now you get to look up Bernard Trink wink.png )

Not Bernard Tink? biggrin.png

According to Wikipedia Bernard Trink is now 83 years young.It was only a week or so ago I was reading one of his book reviews in the other national newspaper. I guess at his age it sure beats commenting on the night life in Bangkok where he first made made his mark as a journo.His column was compulsory reading for some of us back then.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, these topics are the main reason I check out TVCM. I get a perverse enjoyment from reading the endless moaning and complaining about trivial matters with the accompanying use of exaggerated language to describe the events.

This is a classic example. The guy wants to go to the airport and is being asked to pay the equivalent of 3 dollars or 2 pounds and is expecting us to be shocked. Sure, the usual suspects are enraged, but come on, anywhere else in the world you'd pay that just to sit down in a taxi.

So what do we get?, guys prepared to walk for one hour instead of paying one dollar more, people using the words 'rip off' , 'scammers', and even more funny, 'extortion' in reference to a few dollars!

Here's the reality. This is Asia. In lots of instances they still haggle over prices. If the price is right, you go with it, if not you make an offer or walk away. That's the way it is and they probably ain't going to change it just for you, so get used to it. They pick an amount that they think you are prepared to pay and if they get it right they have a customer. If they're lucky, some people will be prepared to pay a higher price, if not they get the regular price. Plenty of people , me included, have probably been quite prepared to pay the 100 baht and some , like you, may not. It's his and your choice. Since it is his livelihood he is probably quite good at determining what price to ask. He isn't scamming you or , more ridiculously, trying to extort money from you, he is offering you a price that he thinks will suit him and you. I imagine he uses the same system for Thais too. The poor little old lady wanting to go to the hospital will be asked to pay less than a wealthier Thai businessman.

Having lived here for so long, why would I pay 100 baht to go to the airport, I hear you say? Here's why... I'm a nice guy (sometimes). I can afford to pay 100 baht, and I look like I can afford to pay 100baht, I consider it to be a reasonable price for what I'm getting, and since I speak reasonable Thai, the driver will be aware of the fact that I know it should be less, and so he will appreciate the fact that I am being kind or considerate (graeng jai) to his plight, relative to mine, by paying more. If the guy knows me, it is even more important for me to pay more because if I didn't I would lose some esteem by appearing to being unnecessarily stingy.

So with a smile on my face, a polite thank you, and a respectful smile from the driver, I'm on my way, whereas you are either wasting time flagging down songthaews and getting all hot and bothered, or as some people suggested, walking for an hour!

Thanks for the post and keep 'em coming guys. When I have more time I'll write a book about expat life, and there'll be a chapter entitled " Much ado about nothing", so you'll all get a mention.

great post but unfortunately the example of the poor old lady getting it cheaper or even for free in many cases is the opposite and people old or otherwise going to the hospitals are overcharged and i do mean normal everyday 300 baht a day working thais,by the drivers taken full advantage of a fellow being in distress

• Like 2

The only drawback is that you have to go to Pattaya to get that price. biggrin.png

David

It's only 10 baht if you stick to the fixed loop up and down the beach. As soon as you actually need to go somewhere the prices are higher. For example, Soi 6 to the North Pattaya bus station I rarely get under 70 baht. Some of the old guys sometimes go for 60, but it's typically 70 or 80. Chiang Mai that sort of trip would be 20 baht, no questions asked, nor required.

Chiang Mai you rarely have to negotiate if you take one in a sensible place to a sensible destination. You're paying 20 baht though as the downtown area is a lot more expansive than Pattaya.

Best. Public. Transport. Ever. thumbsup.gif

That's not my experience. Even my wife gets asked for more than 20 baht, and after dark it's impossible to get one for 20. In Pattaya it's 10 baht till after 2 am,

In Pattaya it's also 10 baht up the roads leading to Sukhumvit, and according to some, to Jomptien.

If C M had a loop like Pattaya, with different routes, it would be far better than the present chaos. Often, many songtheaws that I stop won't take me where I want to go.

There is no doubt to anyone that has lived in both cities that Pattaya has the better system, and the better vehicles with their high canopies.

<For example, Soi 6 to the North Pattaya bus station I rarely get under 70 baht.>

That's because you don't know what you are doing. You should get one up to Dolphin Roundabout for 10 baht and the one waiting at Dolphin Roundabout to the bus station for 10 baht= 20 baht.

"All the different routes".

There's the one that loops along Beach, and back up Second.

The one up/ down Naklua from Dolphin Roundabout

The ones that go up/ down South, Central and North

The one to Jomptien and back that leaves from beside the school on the corner of 2nd and South.

If you can't get to where you want to go by using them and walking, and you live in Pattaya, best to get a m'bike, as yes they probably are expensive to use as a taxi. In all my time there, I never had to use one as a taxi though.

If they don't stop, it's usually because they are a private hire, or you are at a no stopping zone. Given there are so many of them, no way they are going to pass up a fare unless they have to.

The reason they ask for more than the official price is because rich idiots come to Thailand and throw money at the natives. Then the natives think all white skin people are rich idiots that are prepared to pay too much.

No doubt the same rich idiots that come to Thailand, meet the "girl of their dreams" and buy her a mansion, a new car and give money to her relatives cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

• Like 2

Speaking of "Rip Off" and Thai business acumen maybe its because you guys have a new International airport, no ones told us about.

Having just booked 3 rooms for 4 days at prominent hotel in Huay Keaw Road ( spelling) at a cost of 20K+ baht and requesting airport pick-up, I was told 100 Baht per person if Thai Airways, 250 Baht per person for any other airline. As we have 7 people figure that.

Cheaper to have my driver come in from Maeon and sort it.

At the end of the day in Cm from my experience and i have been her on and off for over 35 years that you will get a songtheaw for the same price as a Thai.

the price does go up slightly to 30 baht at night time and yes some drivers ask for 100 baht 200 baht whatever,,but the vast majority of them just give you the same price....dont even need to ask just give them the money at end of the journey

a lesson in mindfulness is needed my thinks for myself and that is what the SCAMMERS are teaching me so thank you

• Like 1

We're all long-term tourists are we? I live here, have a business, a house, a wife, kids and grandkids so I'm not a tourist , long or short term, and I am certainly not a guest in their country. If you are, speak for yourself.

If you are a permanent resident (as in, you passed all the hurdles and tests and have the official permanent resident paper. Not that you ask Immigration every year if you can please stay another year.), or you have a Thai passport, then you are in the minority of farangs here who is not a tourist and I congratulate you.

If you do not, you are only kidding yourself thinking you are not a tourist and have any more rights in Thailand than any other Joe Blow who was stamped in for 30 days at the airport yesterday.

• Like 1

The point of translating it into dollars or whatever, is to highlight that it is an insignificant amount in relation to what most of us who live here have as an income. Whether it is converted to dollars, yen, riyals, or shekels, 100 baht is a trivial amount for a ride to the airport, unless you are living on a local salary, which most of us aren't, I hope.

<it is an insignificant amount in relation to what most of us who live here have as an income.>

Who has an income? Who is so rich they can afford to pay more than the proper price for services? It is people like you that stuff it up for the rest of us.

No doubt you are one of "them" that think only rich people should be allowed to live long time in Thailand, and the peasants should stay in their hovels back home, where they know their place, tugging their forelocks as people like you drive past in their limousines.

<unless you are living on a local salary>

What cloud cuckoo land do you live in? Some of us don't have a salary, let alone wages. Some of us are here on savings, because we've retired, but don't get a pension.

There is no proper price for hiring a songthaew to take you to the airport so whatever you agree on with any individual driver at any given time is the only price there is. I often pay more for a service than I need to because firstly I am in a position to do so, and as such it is expected of me, and secondly it is a small way in which I can be generous and considerate. If you happen to misguidedly think that I somehow mess it up for you, that is your problem, not mine.

Your speculation about me being one of "them" couldn't be further from the truth, but totally unexpected. A fair few Expats are prone to exaggeration and wild speculation, so you're par for the course. Besides, what you think of me is of no concern because I've never met you, and since you're anonymous I certainly wouldn't know you if I did. Your financial plight doesn't concern me either, although I certainly wouldn't mind being in the situation of not having to work, so not much sympathy, if you wanted it.

Who would have believed that a 100 baht fair to the airport could cause such ire? Besides me, of course.

• Like 1

If you are a permanent resident (as in, you passed all the hurdles and tests and have the official permanent resident paper. Not that you ask Immigration every year if you can please stay another year.), or you have a Thai passport, then you are in the minority of farangs here who is not a tourist and I congratulate you.

If you do not, you are only kidding yourself thinking you are not a tourist and have any more rights in Thailand than any other Joe Blow who was stamped in for 30 days at the airport yesterday.

Thanks for putting me straight. I'll add 'delusional' to the long list of my faults.

<it is an insignificant amount in relation to what most of us who live here have as an income.>

Who has an income? Who is so rich they can afford to pay more than the proper price for services? It is people like you that stuff it up for the rest of us.

No doubt you are one of "them" that think only rich people should be allowed to live long time in Thailand, and the peasants should stay in their hovels back home, where they know their place, tugging their forelocks as people like you drive past in their limousines.

What cloud cuckoo land do you live in? Some of us don't have a salary, let alone wages. Some of us are here on savings, because we've retired, but don't get a pension.

There is no proper price for hiring a songthaew to take you to the airport so whatever you agree on with any individual driver at any given time is the only price there is. I often pay more for a service than I need to because firstly I am in a position to do so, and as such it is expected of me, and secondly it is a small way in which I can be generous and considerate. If you happen to misguidedly think that I somehow mess it up for you, that is your problem, not mine.

Your speculation about me being one of "them" couldn't be further from the truth, but totally unexpected. A fair few Expats are prone to exaggeration and wild speculation, so you're par for the course. Besides, what you think of me is of no concern because I've never met you, and since you're anonymous I certainly wouldn't know you if I did. Your financial plight doesn't concern me either, although I certainly wouldn't mind being in the situation of not having to work, so not much sympathy, if you wanted it.

Who would have believed that a 100 baht fair to the airport could cause such ire? Besides me, of course.

<I often pay more for a service than I need to because firstly I am in a position to do so, and as such it is expected of me, and secondly it is a small way in which I can be generous and considerate.>

Would you do so in London or New York? If not, why would you do so in C M?

• Like 1

<I often pay more for a service than I need to because firstly I am in a position to do so, and as such it is expected of me, and secondly it is a small way in which I can be generous and considerate.>

Would you do so in London or New York? If not, why would you do so in C M?

You're hard work, but I'll stick with you, just to help you understand.

It's a cultural thing. I am a businessman,although by no means a big shot, so as befits my position I show small kindnesses by sometimes paying more than I need to as a small way of helping out those less fortunate than me and to show that I have a good heart.

I wouldn't do it in other cities because it isn't part of the culture, although if tipping is the norm, I would tip. I hope you understand. If you don't , you may do if you stay long enough and you are open-minded, observant, and generous enough. Assuming you can afford to be generous, of course.

• Like 2

Strange how people can come here and complain about expensive prices here. Makes one wonder about what they would do if they had to go back to where they live. 100 baht to the airport US 150 baht to start the meter.

Yes it is sad some of them do gouge but there are many that don't. So how about people stop painting them all with the same paint brush. I use them a lot and have had some that tried to gouge me but I know how to dicker with them and If We don't come to an agreement I wait for the next one and chances are I will say where and they will say yes or no. About 1/3 will ask for 40 baht I counter with 20 in Thai. And generally wind up at 25 or 30 which I really don't mind as they have to make a living to. Their income has not risen in the last three years and mine has. Both of us have had are cost of living raised. I just feel they deserve a fair wage. this is 2014 not 2010.

In a month I probably pay an extra 150 baht. I can afford it. It is still cheaper than buying a vehicle insuring it maintaining it licensing it and putting fuel in it.

Last but not least I feel safer in the back of one than if I was doing the driving or riding myself. Good experienced drivers know to give them room.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

edit spellingsad.png

Then again maybe I should leave it there for the spelling police.

some of them it is the high point of their day.tongue.png

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 2