Bangkok siege set for Jan 13

webfact

............Full siege set for Monday the 13th...but they will "begin on Sunday"........Sunday the 5th.................or.......Sunday the 12th........???

(..it would be nice to know....)

The 12th i imagine, they are mostly still on Christmas vacation at the moment.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/01/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bangkok-shutdown/

So much bizarre in this post, not Richard Barrow bizarre, just bizarre that what he is writing is true:

" According to Thai Rath, he could cut power in order to bring a halt to the BTS Skytrain and MRT Subway. Suthep denies this and says he will only cut utilities for government buildings."

Oh well, if you are only going to cut some power, I guess its alright then!

"the police have already come out to say that they will not offer any resistance and will allow the protesters to close intersections. They will just help with traffic flow and diversions."

words fail me...

"We also can’t expect any help from the Bangkok Governor. He is seen here shaking hands with the protest leader. Some people have gone as far as accusing the Democrat led BMA with actively helping the protesters."

is this real life?

PDRC supporters may also gather outside the homes of key government figures, essentially keeping them captive in order to limit their activities, Suthep said.

So am i the only one who think abducting members of the government is one more stupid speech from mad dog Suthep?

We can see that thai people handle very well hot situation like this and there is of course no way one of these abduction may end with harms or deaths?

There are posters making jokes about this and although understandable, it is actually a serious matter.

I understand from Thais that Suthep is planning on really taking control of Bangkok and not allowing people to drive

their own cars. Only public transport will be available. This means also no taxis!!

You can imagine that a lot of people will not like this, let alone comply.

I imagine many taxi drivers for sure will not comply.

They, and others, will drive their car anyway.

You can see the clashes over that coming.

Thais expect fights, riots, and deaths to ensue!

It also seems that many Thais that first rooted for Suthep, have grown very tired of him already.

I know I have.

I think the Thais you are talking to are just believing some nonsense someone older than them said. How is Suthep going to stop people from driving their own cars? He may cause gridlock and then people won't want to drive, but how is he going to 'not allow' them to drive?

Govt asking protesters not to block roads on Jan 13

BANGKOK, 2 January 2014 (NNT) – The government is asking the protesters not to block roads as such a move is not the correct way of exercising democratic rights.

In the wake of the planned Bangkok shutdown by the People’s Democratic Reform Committee, Prime Minister's Office Minister Varathep Ratanakorn has urged the PDRC not to block roads or cause any disturbances to the general public, adding that shutting down the capital was not the right way to express oneself in a democratic country.

The minister also believed that the objective of the Jan 13 capital shutdown was to instigate violence and create disturbances.

He also pointed out that an election was the most possible and practical way for people in exercising their rights accepted by the international community.

The general election has been scheduled for February 2nd. As of now, a total of 1,272 MP candidates have already registered for the election in 347 districts.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-02 footer_n.gif

I think the Thais you are talking to are just believing some nonsense someone older than them said. How is Suthep going to stop people from driving their own cars? He may cause gridlock and then people won't want to drive, but how is he going to 'not allow' them to drive?

Meaning his brainwashed hardcore followers will stand in front of any car preventing it from driving.

Or something like that.

Of course there will be people that will drive their car, taxis will drive, motorcycle taxis will, they need to earn a living.

Hardcore protesters will try to prevent that.

Fights will result.

Why not just let the yellows have Bangkok as their country? (It'll be a sunken city in 50 years) and the rest of the country belong to the reds. See how Bkk gets on without any taxi drivers, cooks, cleaners and dare i say it, xxxxxx.

You seem to forget that disillusionment and anger at PTP isn't just in Bangkok. There's a lot of Thailand not painted red yet.

And dare you say it? Yes you did. And a lot of those important people were at the protests. So enjoy the show coming to your area soon.

See how the rest of the country gets out from under the rice mountain and debt pile too.

May very well true, but in the overall scheme of things, the PTP still has the numbers on their side (which is why the Dems have given up on the electoral process altogether).

I see that most people don't want Thaksin govt.

I see that most people want Suthep govt.

Where do you live?

Bangkok. All my neighbor support Suthep.

Somehow I doubt that you will get the same opinion in Northern Thailand and Isaan.

But the views of the people living outside Bangkok don't count. The people in North Thailand and Isaan are simple, poorly educated people who cant think for themselves. Not like the smart, well edcuated people of Bangkok....... don't you know coffee1.gif

Suthep apparently wants Thailand to gain even more of a reputation as third world, lawless and undemocratic. It is unfortunate the thugs locally known as police are incapable of doing real policing and stop this Tyrant. The elite desperately want to regain control at all cost.

And Thaksin is not part of the elite?

Suthep apparently wants Thailand to gain even more of a reputation as third world, lawless and undemocratic. It is unfortunate the thugs locally known as police are incapable of doing real policing and stop this Tyrant. The elite desperately want to regain control at all cost.

he is an elite outsider, not royalist insider

Why not just let the yellows have Bangkok as their country? (It'll be a sunken city in 50 years) and the rest of the country belong to the reds. See how Bkk gets on without any taxi drivers, cooks, cleaners and dare i say it, xxxxxx.

Some people have less ability to think than my 5 year old daughter

Okay lets say we give Bangkok to those who are protestors

Now please tell me where the main money is ?

Now hit your head against the wall and tell me why the Issan people come to Bangkok

Must be for the pathed streets

It can't be because this is where the money is

so using your brain, why would they sudden;y stop coming to Bkk

are you saying the red shirts who are after democracy. will stop all people nth of Bkk comming to make money

Please tell me you where drinking when you made this statement

• Like 1

If the army will intervene, then it will be somewhere from the 13th. It doesn't look like there will be elections in BKK february 2nd. Will sit back and see.

The previous coup was the night before the Yellow's planned big march. Suthep has advertised this upcoming event quite thoroughly.

Indeed he has. Perhaps after consulting the military.

A military coup would be the least desirable option, playing right into the hands of another great Red Shirt uprising a couple of years down the track, when they will trash the city, as they did last time, doing everything possible to discredit Abhisit Vejjajiva, ... given that he is reinstated.

It simply keeps the wheels of crap in motion. All the ignorant champions of 'democracy' worldwide will repeat the cries of foul on Abhisit, the most intelligent PM in Thai history. Thus he will again be forced to go to the polls, with millions of pea-brain Shinawatra disciples to ensure his demise. .. another Shinawatra takes his place ... ad infinitum.

I am really not sure how much longer the RS can put up with Thaksin pulling their strings. Sooner or later a political pary, financed by a non Shinawatra, will emerge from the NE. Until this happens, democracy doesn't stand a chance in Thailand.

Being wealthy does not automatically make you part of the elite...

If the army will intervene, then it will be somewhere from the 13th. It doesn't look like there will be elections in BKK february 2nd. Will sit back and see.

The previous coup was the night before the Yellow's planned big march. Suthep has advertised this upcoming event quite thoroughly.

Indeed he has. Perhaps after consulting the military.

A military coup would be the least desirable option, playing right into the hands of another great Red Shirt uprising a couple of years down the track, when they will trash the city, as they did last time, doing everything possible to discredit Abhisit Vejjajiva, ... given that he is reinstated.

It simply keeps the wheels of crap in motion. All the ignorant champions of 'democracy' worldwide will repeat the cries of foul on Abhisit, the most intelligent PM in Thai history. Thus he will again be forced to go to the polls, with millions of pea-brain Shinawatra disciples to ensure his demise. .. another Shinawatra takes his place ... ad infinitum.

I am really not sure how much longer the RS can put up with Thaksin pulling their strings. Sooner or later a political pary, financed by a non Shinawatra, will emerge from the NE. Until this happens, democracy doesn't stand a chance in Thailand.

The amnesty bill contributed much to people seeing the true nature of the beast. It's another step in the slow process. Not forget that many reds also protested against the clear-thaksin-bill. New, less corrupt leaders will emerge eventually.

My wife told me the other week that on some social media groups like pantip, facebook, that after the comment by some elitist hi-so groups north people are stupid and should not have the same vote as those in BKK as they are far more superior and more educated etc,etc, etc, a lot of the northern people have commented, ok we wont sell our rice to them and let them eat dog sh*t, 5555, she used less vulgar language.sick.gif

Wont help the rice stock pile situation but I get their drift.

• Like 1

If he really shuts down Bangkok, foreign investors shall react and move their businesses to a more civilized country in the region. After the mess with the flooding 2 years ago, they will recognize that this country is just too immature for serious investments. And the cost structures aren't as competitive with the strong Baht anyway.

Suthep may have his one-man-show, but the impact is much greater. His followers are just too uneducated to realize that.

This has been going on for years and years and years here.

Why would this impact foreign investors? IMO just business as usual. Nothing new.

I don't remember a shutdown of Bangkok has been going on "for years", where people cannot go to work and government offices close.

The last quasi shutdown was during the floodings, and then Japanese investors threatened to pull out if something like that happened again. We will see how far Suthep will go, but don't underestimate foreign capital. The other countries in the region don't have that extreme lack of common sense.

thailand can survive quite nicely without probably a bit or a lot poorer but its got plenty of food and a constant drive to more and more materialism you will have noticed has not made it better here or anywhere

compared with Taksin and his clan continuing to plunder and make Thialand their own one party state shutting down BKK and some loss even if high in GDP or growth is preferable OF course Taksin could try and get his red thugs back on a rampage but somehow I doubt they have the stomach for it this time around

A coup for a few years with Taksin his clan and cronies is most likely and best outcome given true alternatives

Dare I suggest that Suthep should use this gap in order to set out in precise terms what is mean by "political reform" and that the government should look at delivering political reform rather than holding an election which will now be a sham. At some stage it will have to be recognised that both Thaksin and Suthep supporters will HAVE to work TOGETHER in government no matter which of them have the majority vote. If the Dems adopt the strategy of seriously improving the lot of the poorer people in Thailand then they would have a good chance of winning by democratic means. If the parties do not do this then it is clear that they are both supporting prolonged civil war as the only solution - this will financially cripple Thailand to the extent that any borrowing will simply be to survive rather than improving peoples lives. From where I sit in the UK I perceive that there are fewer "made in Thailand" labels on goods already - continued unrest will further damage foreign investment and devastate the tourist industry - neither of which have fully recovered from the last round of coups, not to mention the flooding. The worrying thing is that Suthep does not need the massive support he is looking for - any reasonably sized group can cause havoc in Bangkok and as many predict will be followed by further disruption, even if it is successful.

Talks between all parties are the ONLY solution possible.

• Like 2

Some people have less ability to think than my 5 year old daughter

Okay lets say we give Bangkok to those who are protestors

Now please tell me where the main money is ?

Now hit your head against the wall and tell me why the Issan people come to Bangkok

Must be for the pathed streets

It can't be because this is where the money is

so using your brain, why would they sudden;y stop coming to Bkk

are you saying the red shirts who are after democracy. will stop all people nth of Bkk comming to make money

Please tell me you where drinking when you made this statement

Perhaps you should ask you 5 year old daughter about 'primate cities', she may be able to enlighten you as to why Isaan has been ignored by the 'amart' for decades.

So just when was the latest final push and after that Suthep would give himself up??? just that he has said it a number of times it's hard to keep upblink.png

Sometimes I wish you were aussieinthailandwithnoaccesstoaninternetconnection ........................................ biggrin.png

I hope these people are proud of what they are doing for their country.

you mean Taksin, his clan cronies and red shirts of course don't you

I most certainly dont and stand by my earlier posts in other forums that there is fault on both sides and what is happening at the moment will do nothing to help the political situation in thailand.There are more problems with the political situation in this country that have been around long before thaksin arrived on the scene and have never been addressed.When the democrats were last in power, they did nothing to correct these ills and maybe if they had this current situation may not have arisen but it goes back even further than that.Come on surely you can't believe that taking the vote from a very large percentage of the population can help things improve.

Oh man, I land on the 15th....I hope I can get to Isaan from Swampy.

I guess Suthep couldn't make his numbers, I doubt he will on the 13th either.

Don't worry, I'll be in Bangkok 08 to 12 January, in and out and having lots of fun in between crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Hope I'll get a chance to kick Suthep's ass...

go ed lad...