Finger Printing in Phnom Penh

cigar7

Just be aware that if you fly into Phnom Penh Cambodia from Bangkok, and you are not Thai, the Cambodians now take your fingerprints and a photo of you, upon arrival and upon departure.

Been going on for 2 years. In Siem Reap they have stopped as it took way too long with all the Koreans not speaking English and not understanding the difference between left and right.

Anyway, what is the big deal? I think you will be phootgraphed/filmed in all big airports these days and many of the modern passports have bio-metric data, including finger prints, that is read as your passport is swiped.

Can't see what the problem is - unless you've got something to hide, of course??!!

Ah, "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear". One of the nastiest little soundbites to appear so far this century, which rides roughshod over a person's basic right to privacy. Well frankly, I for one don't want government sanctioned peeping toms peering through my bedroom window, even if I'm not hiding anything.

I think fingerprinting at entry points is way over the top. I don't know quite what they expect to achieve with that - I very much doubt that they have access to any international fingerprint database, so all they will be able to compare prints with is their own database, and I would imagine the number of criminals crossing the border who have their prints on record in PP could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

It's pure theatre, just like all the misery of 'security checks' we are subjected to every time we fly. Complete waste of time, energy and money. Merely a political gesture.

And I suspect the Khmer fingerprint collecting is just the same. An exercise in bureaucracy and control.

• Like 2

Can't see what the problem is - unless you've got something to hide, of course??!!

Ah, "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear". One of the nastiest little soundbites to appear so far this century, which rides roughshod over a person's basic right to privacy. Well frankly, I for one don't want government sanctioned peeping toms peering through my bedroom window, even if I'm not hiding anything.

I think fingerprinting at entry points is way over the top. I don't know quite what they expect to achieve with that - I very much doubt that they have access to any international fingerprint database, so all they will be able to compare prints with is their own database, and I would imagine the number of criminals crossing the border who have their prints on record in PP could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

It's pure theatre, just like all the misery of 'security checks' we are subjected to every time we fly. Complete waste of time, energy and money. Merely a political gesture.

And I suspect the Khmer fingerprint collecting is just the same. An exercise in bureaucracy and control.

I think it was Australia that gave them the toys.....

<snip>

<snip>

Yes, it is, so just go through the motions with them.