Cleaning an engine.

AllanB

The engine on my bike needs a good clean, prior to touching up the paint, what do you use for this in terms of detergents, chemicals and implements?

I don't have a jet-wash so that's not an option and I have the usual nooks and crannies to get into.

Anything good to clean the carbies, make the ally look new?

For the nooks and crannies use WD40 and compressed air gun. Give the gunk a 5 minute soak.

* Do wear safety glasses, keep the stream of air away from your skin and put some newspaper on the floor.

• Like 1

Have the same issue coming up too. Got a 2nd hand ER6n from Kampheng Phet that carries all that nice Isaan style brown dirt everywhere. Not only on the engine, everywhere. Not sure what's the best way to clean the bike. Probably I'll take off all the plastic and clean that separately, then polish the exhaust header and clean the rest normally. High pressure water may be an option if certain places are left out. Don't think there's a good washing shop that can or would do that thoroughly.

Need to cover or take out the moving parts/chain. Cover any intakes and electric connections. Remove battery and electronics. Then high pressure cleaning should be ok. Put the bike in the sun and let it dry completely before putting all together. That's my plan.

Lots of good suggestions, this morning plan on mixing up a strong washing powder detergent mix with hot water, a paint brush and scrubbing brush, old toothbrush too. The rinse off with a hose (finger over the end), then finish with the WD40 on bits I messed (good tip BSJ)

Had an oil leak from a rocker cover (fixed with cardboard washers under the bolts) so there is a fair bit oil oily dirt caked on underneath....then hose down the tiled driveway.

The must be something good for cleaning up carbs, as mine are visible and the bike would look good if they were de-grimed? Coca-cola?

Then I can hopefully find any other small oil leaks, it is a Honda and shouldn't really have them.

...and not forget give the wife her toothbrush back, after a good clean...hope she won't notice.biggrin.png

Just tried one car wash today as I'm a lazy butt :). They did quite a good job, still the exhaust headers have that brown dirt burnt in. Need to get them polished. High pressure cleaning, then soaking, handwash, then high pressure again, then air drying and waxing. For 100B that was good. Bike still running as before, just prettier again...

Need to get some chain lube now.

ER6n.jpg

Oven cleaner.

Doesn't that contain acid compounds? Might be a bit hard on the alloy.

A joke I assumed, unless you want to lose all the paint and some, it is at the other end of the ph scale a strong alkaline like caustic soda...

I did the detergent thing and not very successful, most of the crap off the bike is now on my shirt, or the driveway, with 30% still left on the bike inaccessible, even with the wife's toothbrush. I was thinking that the only solution was dismantling the bloody thing, another suggestion here.

So now I am off to the carwash...however, one thing that troubles me is the chemicals they use. I took the truck in a few weeks back, came back gleaming, but the back Hilander logo was half washed off. That might get my carbs clean though. Madmac's bike only had dust and dirt.mine is the lovely mixture of sticky oily grime, worth a try though at 100 baht..

Not a joke at all, easy off oven cleaner works brilliantly.

It damages many bare metals, plastics and most paintwork...you have to wear gloves and eye protection FCS, so wouldn't put it anywhere near my bike. Designed purely for stove enamel surfaces.

It's not even April the first either.wink.png

The must be something good for cleaning up carbs, as mine are visible and the bike would look good if they were de-grimed? Coca-cola?

AllanB there are spray can carb cleaners (external) in the marketplace for sale. Brake cleaner can be used as well, as it serves the same purpose.

I tried brake cleaner, gets the carb clean, but not pristine, perhaps I expect too much as anything more aggressive could cause damage..

Oven cleaner make work on your bike, but I am not brave enough to risk it on mine. Used it on my cooker oven in the UK this year, stinks the place out with heavy noxious fumes, burns your skin if you don't wear gloves. With my old bike, there are bits I could never replace if they were damaged. Brave man....

I tried brake cleaner, gets the carb clean, but not pristine, perhaps I expect too much as anything more aggressive could cause damage..

Oven cleaner make work on your bike, but I am not brave enough to risk it on mine. Used it on my cooker oven in the UK this year, stinks the place out with heavy noxious fumes, burns your skin if you don't wear gloves. With my old bike, there are bits I could never replace if they were damaged. Brave man....

it's not too intrusive / high a pH by chemical design. As you can imagine you do not want it reacting to seals and other rubber compounds.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

look up "Easy Off" oven cleaner which is what I use.

Not a bad idea Spoonman, mildly acidic, a degreaser and dispersed in a foam form, which gives it slightly adhesive properties. Might try it myself. :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4