Bangkok shutdown...

Guemlum

Hi all, does anyone know whether the airport or transport in surrounding areas will be effected by the shutdown on the 13th of this month?.

We will be staying at a hotel local to the airport and assume local transport will not be effected and the protests/shutdown will be aimed more at central Bangkok.

Guemlum

No one has a crystal ball but the PRDC has stated that "the PDRC will not hinder bus, train, BTS Skytrain and underground train services " so transport links seem okay. And yes the Lat Krabang area is not a priority protest wise so you are right that the area is highly unlikey - but not impossible - to be affected.

I suspect that the chances of an airport being targeted for occupation during this protest cycle are almost nil but nothing can be excluded. AOT contingencies are better prepared with U Tapao more established as an alternative should both BKK airports ever become closed again (They reportedly have an SOP for such a scenario but who would really trust the AOT?). No one can rely on that.

If this is a real anxiety for you (this is more for the poster above), have a think about your own plan B if travel is a must and the unexpected arises. ie. which other airport either in Thailand or in a neighbouring country would you use to undertake your travel to your destination. How would you get there? etc

Though you cannot foresee the exact situation if an airport does close even having done such a simple thing as this allows you to have more confidence and some preparation, more than most. Any travel involves being flexible and being aware of other options. That applies to & from work (such as when the BTS was closed for 5 hrs the day before Xmas) or overseas.

The most important thing is to keep things in perspective and not lose ones head as the above poster seems inclined to do.

• Like 1

Booah, I will visit Bangkok 8 to 12 January.

I am afraid I will miss the real action on the 13th.

Still exited to experience Bangkok history next week, well uncertain maybe that is.

Will report here if something happens, remain quiet if Bangkok is boring as always.

• Like 1

I will be travelling to BKK on the 13th staying at Lad Krabang (near airport ) and fly out on the 14th.

I am feeling confident. I am flying with Cathay Pacific and know they will look after me if it hits the fan and I cant fly out on the 14th.

The economic damage to Thailand (Suvarnabhumi is a major logistics hub for electronics and other goods manufactured in Thailand) resulting from the previous airport occupation was such that it's highly unlikely that Suthep's principals will allow him, or anyone else, to occupy it and shut it down again.

• Like 1

I will be leaving the 14th at 0100, hopefully. Will stay at a hotel close to airport, like 3 km away. They have transportation to the airport. Just wait and see. Maybe the military will step in sooner with the red shirts coming to Bangkok thumbsup.gif

No one has a crystal ball but the PRDC has stated that "the PDRC will not hinder bus, train, BTS Skytrain and underground train services " so transport links seem okay. And yes the Lat Krabang area is not a priority protest wise so you are right that the area is highly unlikey - but not impossible - to be affected.

I suspect that the chances of an airport being targeted for occupation during this protest cycle are almost nil but nothing can be excluded. AOT contingencies are better prepared with U Tapao more established as an alternative should both BKK airports ever become closed again (They reportedly have an SOP for such a scenario but who would really trust the AOT?). No one can rely on that.

If this is a real anxiety for you (this is more for the poster above), have a think about your own plan B if travel is a must and the unexpected arises. ie. which other airport either in Thailand or in a neighbouring country would you use to undertake your travel to your destination. How would you get there? etc

Though you cannot foresee the exact situation if an airport does close even having done such a simple thing as this allows you to have more confidence and some preparation, more than most. Any travel involves being flexible and being aware of other options. That applies to & from work (such as when the BTS was closed for 5 hrs the day before Xmas) or overseas.

The most important thing is to keep things in perspective and not lose ones head as the above poster seems inclined to do.

The "above poster" is not inclined to loose his head.

I am inclined to worry about my wife's belgian residentcy renewal, a mere formality, provided we get home before the expiry date.

(residentcy is life long, but thanks to bureaucracy, the proof of residentcy is the national ID card, which has to be renewed for belgians and foreigners alike every 5 years ---- no ID = no boarding airplane).

I inquired about changing a flight back when Suthep announced that Jan 2 would be D Day. The company (Cathay Pacific) told me that there would be no charge for a flight change if there was an 'advisory' issued, so maybe you will have an option to change. [Turned out that my ticket included a free-change option anyway, so the advisory wasn't necessary in my case and I didn't seek further clarification on what an 'advisory' really meant].

Edited by Rooo
Removed deleted post

Unfortunately will miss the main action 13th since leaving the 12th...

Now unless they close ALL of Bangkok the 12th in such a way I could not leave Bangkok by air, train, motorcycle, tuk-tuk, samlor, songteaw, bus, car, foot, boat giggle.gif

Edited by tartempion

Lakegeneve's advice is right on target: have a Plan B. Also,

1) Know what the change options (& fees) associated with your current ticketing are

2) Maybe call the airline reservations number in BKK and ask them what they will do if...

3) Familiarize yourself with your airline's weekly flight schedule (so you'll be able to discuss re-ticketing options intelligently)

4) Consider purchasing travel insurance if still an option (probably not...)

5) Manage your cash and don't get caught without something to subsist on

6) Make sure your airline knows where/how they can reach you!

7) Use any internet access you might have to keep track of your flight's status (ontime/delayed/cancelled) and to check emails for any attempts by the airline to send you notifications or have you call them

Don't assume the worst; stay informed; have options & keep them open; allow extra time for getting wherever you have to go; expect some "inconvenience".

'Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't expect any real problems... You're going to get a healthy serving of drama here at TV - try to filter it out.

• Like 1

Amazing the kind of questions people ask on this forum. What is next? Will it rain during Songkran?

It could rain during Songkran, but highly unlikely. anyway who gives a xxxx there will be plenty of water about as it is.

Edited by unclesiberia

Thinking about it sensibly, the airport staff and cabin crew have to get there or the plane's won't be going anywhere, so they'll be in the same boat as most people. I'm assuming that cabin crew's would all stay in central Bangkok. Not really sure how they can 'guarantee' that certain roads will remain open though. I don't want to get into the politics as I've given up trying to understand the way things work here, but from around the world, If one group guarantee's something, another group might just decide to un-guarantee it in retaliation.

No full service airline, and I would imagine not even AirAsia will penalise anyone if transport difficulties prevent anyone getting to the airport as the result of transport disruptions by protesters, as long as you don't leave it until the last minute to set off for the airport when easy passage was available earlier.

With the threat to close down Krabi airport just announced it surely cannot be ruled out that these fascist scumbags will again target Swampy.

If they do not manage to cause enough disruption & anarchy in the days following the 13th then it must surely be possible they will try to close down Swampy.

I am out from Swampy on 16th and back to Don Muang on 17th - so am potentially hostage to situations at both airports.

Anyone got a handy list of decent hotels near the airport. @1500 baht. Decent comfy mattress preferred as opposed to the crapholes i tried in the area so far.

One that I've used dozens of times is Silver Gold Garden. I just checked for a random date in January and the rate for a room with round-trip airport transfers is B690/night. Clean and safe, about 5-10 minute ride from airport. I usually book online with sawadee.com.

There is a Tesco Lotus Express store in front of the hotel, and a 7-11 a few steps from that. Not a luxury hotel (no DVD player, no fluffy robe, no turndown service, etc), but for a place to sleep and shower, I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Trollish /off topic /insulting /political posts removed.

This is a topic affecting a lot of travelers , if you have nothing constructive to contribute then don't post please.

This may be useful info for some.

Note that there is a temp shuttle bus from the Airport, Door 3 Level 1 to BTS On Nut station (as of 10 Jan), no infor on how regular of how long it will last. It might actually be slower than taking the ARL to the BTS.

160o8ef.jpg

262017b.jpg

Edited by Lakegeneve