Breathing Difficulties At 30,000 Feet

nonthaburial

I have "suffered" this problem /allergy for a good number of years now, and wonder are there any other sufferers out there.

My issue is with perfumes that are worn by the female species, well perhaps the word worn should be changed to bathed in, and it appears my fate that I am regularly sat to such species on flights.

Let me point out it's not all perfumes, my main antaganiser is "poisson", this brand of hell literally affects my throat, nose and breathing, so badly so that I have been forced, for my own sense of comfort and not rudeness, to request a seat change.

Please tell me it's not just me !!

As a teenager, I visited a nuclear power station with a school group.. The tour guide had this horrific perfume on which, combined with the heat in there, made me feel sick and lethargic and I kept getting told off for lagging behind. Have never forgotten how horrible I felt. Have never identified the ingredient, but something in it makes my sinuses swell and gives me a headache.

As a teenager, I visited a nuclear power station with a school group.. The tour guide had this horrific perfume on which, combined with the heat in there, made me feel sick and lethargic and I kept getting told off for lagging behind. Have never forgotten how horrible I felt. Have never identified the ingredient, but something in it makes my sinuses swell and gives me a headache.

Thank you for your input, you described the results better than I did. Appreciate it as it's looking more than I am a poor, sad, deprived, whining, miserable loner.

Trust me this subject really does cause me concern

After writing my last post ....... Zilch seconds ago, I had a call. From a mate of mine, he tells me he has found a new Japanese g/f in Hong Kong, who insists on wearing a Japanese napkin even tho she doesn't need! and the smell given off is identical . Now I am really confused any takers on this twist ?

my other half sprays it on until she can smell it,

by then my sinuses shut down,can't see eye's watering,lungs fell like there on fire

i tell her just 1 or 2 sprays is just right,but she always forgets

I've noticed that some of her lady friends are the same way,like they take a bath in it

After writing my last post ....... Zilch seconds ago, I had a call. From a mate of mine, he tells me he has found a new Japanese g/f in Hong Kong, who insists on wearing a Japanese napkin even tho she doesn't need! and the smell given off is identical . Now I am really confused any takers on this twist ?

Spent many years in Japan, but never heard of a Japanese napkin.

Is it like a Modess feminine napkin?

Spent many years in Japan, but never heard of a Japanese napkin.

Is it like a Modess feminine napkin?

Oops sorry people,that was a little vague, no he meant a mask type napkin, she is concerned about the bird flu

AMAZING!

I get EXACTLY the same symptoms when shopping with the GF.

You are not alone. Large numbers of people suffer from reactions to the ingredients of some perfumes ( and men's colognes); these reactions can be minor, like hay fever reaction, or major, similar to an acute asthma attack. This is a well known and widespread problem. More than 10 years ago, there was action taken in the hospital/university where i worked to eradicate the problem. Signs were posted stating " This is a FRAGRANCE FREE zone. Please respect the breathing rights and health of others by not wearing perfume or cologne". These signs became quite widespread.

I am amazed that airlines have not followed a similar course of action. Breathing is more difficult on airplanes for everyone since the cabin pressure is set to emulate an altitude of about 8,000 feet.

In the meantime, as suggested above, if your breathing is severely impaired, get yourself a Ventolin Evohaler. About 250 baht at a good pharmacy in Thailand, or see your doctor to prescribe it for you (which would be the best procedure). Use as directed - one or two puffs and it will give shortly give you breathing comfort. Please note that this will not help you if you have an anaphylactic reaction to the scent, but you are probably already aware if you have this type of allergy.

It is always wise to find a way to move away from the scent, in any case. There is nothing else you can do if it is body or food odors emanating from your seat mate, however.

Edited by tigermonkey

Where does the "at 30,000 Feet" part come in to your story?

Firstly it's not a story, it's a fact, secondly, it was meant to mean, and it foes appear that many grasped this, that whilst enclosed in an airliner cabin, possible made worse by pressurization. Does that help ?

You are not alone. Large numbers of people suffer from reactions to the ingredients of some perfumes ( and men's colognes); these reactions can be minor, like hay fever reaction, or major, similar to an acute asthma attack. This is a well known and widespread problem. More than 10 years ago, there was action taken in the hospital/university where i worked to eradicate the problem. Signs were posted stating " This is a FRAGRANCE FREE zone. Please respect the breathing rights and health of others by not wearing perfume or cologne". These signs became quite widespread.

I am amazed that airlines have not followed a similar course of action. Breathing is more difficult on airplanes for everyone since the cabin pressure is set to emulate an altitude of about 8,000 feet.

In the meantime, as suggested above, if your breathing is severely impaired, get yourself a Ventolin Evohaler. About 250 baht at a good pharmacy in Thailand, or see your doctor to prescribe it for you (which would be the best procedure). Use as directed - one or two puffs and it will give shortly give you breathing comfort. Please note that this will not help you if you have an anaphylactic reaction to the scent, but you are probably already aware if you have this type of allergy.

It is always wise to find a way to move away from the scent, in any case. There is nothing else you can do if it is body or food odors emanating from your seat mate, however.

Thank you tigermonkey, your post was very informative.

Perfume/fragrance can be a good thing depending on the situation.I spent many years in a very remote town in Oz with a large population of "tribal" Aborigines. While shopping and at the check out my ex grabbed my arm and I turned around to find a European lady with her nose close to said ex's wifes neck. The lady apologised for the action but explained the Aboriginal man behind her had shat himself while waiting at the check out and it was the only way she could avoid the stink.

• Like 1

Where does the "at 30,000 Feet" part come in to your story?

Firstly it's not a story, it's a fact, secondly, it was meant to mean, and it foes appear that many grasped this, that whilst enclosed in an airliner cabin, possible made worse by pressurization. Does that help ?

Planes are "pressurized" to 8,000-10,000 ft when flying at cruise altitude. So maybe it's the lower pressure that swells your olfactory sensors, making it seem more sensitive.

Also, in newer aircraft, more air is recycled to reduce the load on the engines which means more contaminants build up in the cabin.

I am not a doctor and professional advice should be obtained from an allergy clinic but:

Nasal antihistamines should provide effective relief for the duration of the flight. For a long-term solution get yourself allergy tested and follow a course of desensitisation to the ingredient to which you are allergic.