Was 1550 baht too much to pay for a new laptop fan?

giddyup

Just had the fan replaced in my emachines laptop, cost 1550 baht. The guy showed me the old fan and honestly I couldn't see it costing anything like that. The tray with 3 fans that I run under my laptop only cost 200 baht, how is 1550 justified? I know that there are labour costs involved, but it just seemed very pricey to me.

Always ask for a price first, then go to three places and compare prices.

The quotes to replace the screen on my iphone ranged from 500 to 2,000 baht.

The prices on ebay for a CPU cooling fan for an Acer are around the 200-500 Baht level.

Always ask for a price first, then go to three places and compare prices.

The quotes to replace the screen on my iphone ranged from 500 to 2,000 baht.

The prices on ebay for a CPU cooling fan for an Acer are around the 200-500 Baht level.

I guess I went for convenience as the guy has his shop just around the corner from where I live, and he also lives in my village, so I guess I expected an honest deal. He did ring me before he ordered the fan and quoted me the price so I guess it's my fault for not getting a couple of quotes. I'm not saying I was robbed, but it did seem a bit high for what it was.

Well, dunno about being robbed but most computer part prices are available on ebay. Maybe he replaced the heat sink as well?

The prices I quoted were ex China so they're bound to be copies. Maybe he fitted a genuine Acer part which is bound to cost more - being Thailand, unlikely it was genuine, but you never know.

Well, dunno about being robbed but most computer part prices are available on ebay. Maybe he replaced the heat sink as well?

The prices I quoted were ex China so they're bound to be copies. Maybe he fitted a genuine Acer part which is bound to cost more - being Thailand, unlikely it was genuine, but you never know.

No, he showed me the old fan, said that the fan cost that much because it had a microprocessor. What do I know? Bottom line, I guess I'm just happy to have the laptop back in working order. It hasn't cost me anything in nearly 4 years and it's had a lot of use, so really can't complain.

• Like 1

A quick google search for eMachine laptop fan show a couple of higher-cost results:

DESCRIPTION & PART NUMBER PRICE & REF

Emachines G420 G620 Cooling Fan replacement laptop ... $23.96

eMachines M622-UK8X Cooling Heatsink & Fan B0265028000003 ... $8.95.
NEW eMachines EL1321 EL1210 EL1200 CPU Heatsink Cooling Fan ... $19.00

So, most likely an OEM specialty item, variable speed with temperature sensors, etc. Laptop replacement parts are rarely cheaper than desktop counterparts, though I would have hoped for a ฿1000 total myself.

There are very few price controls on anything here, it's what the market will bear, by way of example: I recently checked the price on a bottle of B Complex vitamins at three different pharmacies, the lowest was 680 baht whilst Boots was highest at 1,100 baht! So yes, there's a range of prices for your replacement fan, the only way to play safe is to ask first and obtain three different prices beforehand.

There are very few price controls on anything here, it's what the market will bear, by way of example: I recently checked the price on a bottle of B Complex vitamins at three different pharmacies, the lowest was 680 baht whilst Boots was highest at 1,100 baht! So yes, there's a range of prices for your replacement fan, the only way to play safe is to ask first and obtain three different prices beforehand.

You're right. I have to accept responsibility for not shopping around first, but as I know the guy from my village and he's on the maintenance committee, I guess I expected a fair price. I'll give Acer Thailand a ring on Monday and get a price for the fan, but if he's ripped me off there's nothing I can do except never use him again.

Acer Thailand is excellent, they charge a flat fee to inspect the machine and the repair costs are usually very favorable, once repaired the entire machine has a three month warranty hence useful for peace of mind.

Well, the guy actually said he would guarantee the fan for 12 months, but considering the last one lasted over 3 years he's probably pretty safe. I had Acer fix the DVD burner (twice) and keyboard under warranty, but I was without the laptop for a couple of weeks. At least I had it back in just over 24 hours from this guy.

in a short answer maybe yes, maybe no!

to replace a fan cooler, sometimes you have to dismantle completely the laptop...

... but to repair a fan, most of the time, it cost nothing!

Few months ago, a friend of mine, has his laptop's fan out of order, he bring it to the shop and he was quoted a hefty price.

He bring it to me, i just needed an air spray dust (or just blow around the fan laptop), and thats it! Works again well. I bet he didnt even open your computer...

in a short answer maybe yes, maybe no!

to replace a fan cooler, sometimes you have to dismantle completely the laptop...

... but to repair a fan, most of the time, it cost nothing!

Few months ago, a friend of mine, has his laptop's fan out of order, he bring it to the shop and he was quoted a hefty price.

He bring it to me, i just needed an air spray dust (or just blow around the fan laptop), and thats it! Works again well. I bet he didnt even open your computer...

I'm pretty sure he replaced the fan, he showed me an old one when I asked, but of course that doesn't mean much. I tried blowing into the ventilation slots but that didn't work. Never mind, it's working now and the money's gone, but I will shop around next time.

Edited by giddyup

$45. Shut up.

So if I overpaid by $20 I should just wear it, is that what you're saying?

That is exactly what he is saying.

The deal is done and the laptop is fixed. What are you going to do if you feel you have overpaid? Go confront the guy ? Demand $20? Make him take it out, reinstall the old one and demand a full refund?

You yourself said:

It hasn't cost me anything in nearly 4 years and it's had a lot of use, so really can't complain.

So why are you moaning here?

$45. Shut up.

So if I overpaid by $20 I should just wear it, is that what you're saying?

That is exactly what he is saying.

The deal is done and the laptop is fixed. What are you going to do if you feel you have overpaid? Go confront the guy ? Demand $20? Make him take it out, reinstall the old one and demand a full refund?

You yourself said:

It hasn't cost me anything in nearly 4 years and it's had a lot of use, so really can't complain.

So why are you moaning here?

Who's moaning? I asked if I paid too much. Now go find some traffic to play in.