Channel 4 News (UK) 2/1/14 - British Retirees in Pattaya

minders91

An interesting take on an obvious problem.

Featured on Channel 4 News 2nd Jan 2014.

All too often, the media when they feature Pattaya and British male, focus on the Gary Glitter stereotype etc (albeit he was Vietnam). In my view this is a balanced report by Channel 4.

I've been saying for years that European governments should be paying their retirees to live abroad. It would save them money on heating and healthcare.

Pretty awful news for the current account deficit though. Money that leaves a country is gone for good and is a dead loss. Money that circulates internally in a country is what makes economies function and most sensible governments encourage this to happen.

OP: thank u for this interesting thread.

Does say a lot about how retired Brits are treated in their own country and the ageism they face there. I do query however the comment about the video being fair and balanced. The film concentrates on those elderly who cannot pay for a private doctor, have no health insurance and end up in a public hospital.

Does that typify the average 'retired' Brit in Pattaya???

And:

If it is typical how do they afford and get the retirement visa?

Edited by R123
  • Like 1

I've lived in Thailand for many year's (Not Pattaya) I only hope people that see this don't tar me with the same brush.

Most if not all are not playing with a full deck and look like they have lost the plot.

Have to admit though that they are better off here than Sunny England.