Suthep to abandon main protest site at Bangkok's Democracy Monument

webfact

"Policies not bribes have cemented the loyalties" of PT supporters -

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/world/asia/members-of-thai-opposition-party-quit-parliament.html

You mean FAILED policies, I assume .

Does it matter in this context? The point is that without vote-buying people would vote largely in the same way. The Dems, Suthep know this, and are looking to disenfranchise these voters rather than win them over in the longer term by convincing them that their own policies are better both for Thailand, and for the urban/rural working classes.

It's so blatant that you would think the more worldly-wise on TV could see what is really going on. A behind the scenes battle between proxy Suthep and the Shinawatras, neither of which interest group appears to be greatly interested in achieving reconciliation between the pawns they are inciting towards increasingly polarised views.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/world/asia/members-of-thai-opposition-party-quit-parliament.html

You mean FAILED policies, I assume .

Does it matter in this context? The point is that without vote-buying people would vote largely in the same way. The Dems, Suthep know this, and are looking to disenfranchise these voters rather than win them over in the longer term by convincing them that their own policies are better both for Thailand, and for the urban/rural working classes.

It's so blatant that you would think the more worldly-wise on TV could see what is really going on. A behind the scenes battle between proxy Suthep and the Shinawatras, neither of which interest group appears to be greatly interested in achieving reconciliation between the pawns they are inciting towards increasingly polarised views.

Yes it does matter, because currently those " Loyal supporters " are waking up to the scam.

Tabs not delivered . Farmers that start to protest because after several lame excuses they are still not paid.

They want the elections very quickly, because every day some new facts come above water , and soon the Shinawatra's will have to run for their life because their " loyal supporters" eyes have opened.

• Like 2

The people who really want the change in government are the industrialist which need a government in place to maintain their wealth. Corruption was and most probably will be a matter of daily life in Thailand for some more time. Corruption and bribery gets the economy going in developing countries. Everybody talk about vote buying by shin knowingly that both sites do it for generations already. The difference was that T used funds to put into the north and therefore get the votes back as a thank you. The programs initiated by T are not bad as each human being should have medical care, education etc.

A change on the top will not change much as you could see the last time the democrats have taken over the government. In matter of fact the country had it best growth under T.

S will do its work as ordered will take hostage a whole city as long he will not interrupt the industrial production he will be ok. Why he never organized a general strike in Thailand because that would hurt his bosses.

Let him change the place of his center as often he wants.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"BANGKOK: -- Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced to abandon the main protest site at the Democracy Monument to open “a new battle field” in the capital’s inner commercial zone to kick off the January 13 Bangkok shutdown to pressure the resignation of the caretaker prime minister."

Hiting her where it hurts. Hello Kitty land.

Yes, shut down the capital, cause major capital flight, cripple the thai baht, force multinationals to relocate, reduce international confidence in the country, and cause tourism to decline. The genius is really helping his people. Is it not perfectly clear what this power hungry twit is after? Mike Macarelli Chaiyaphum, Thailand

The value of Taksin's foreign currency in Dubai will skyrocket.

This was the master plan from the beginning.

In times like these, we have to choose the lesser of the two evils. Make a stand rather than point the flaws from this person and that. Make a choice, it may not be perfect but its better than complaining waiting for change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

What a fiasco! I don't know what the rest of the world must must think. There's one half of the population who repeatedly vote in an obviously corrupt and incompetent group of self-serving crooks, and another half who want to drag the country back to feudalism and are prepared to wreck the place to do it.

It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

What the rest of the world has to think ?

That this man stands up for his countrymen.

Half of the population voted for an obviously corrupt and incompetent group of self-serving crooks, because they got paid for it and don't have anything to lose, while the other half understand that they are paying the piper and want those crooks out of their life forever.

No. People keep trotting this out as if it were fact, but the same PT supporters are not going to shift camp if the 'bribes' dried up. As demonstrated in the last election when the Dems outspent PT in certain areas, and the voters said thank you very much and still voted PT.

Agreed. As one poster on here put it. If you rob Peter to pay Paul, Paul will always vote for you.

That is why a lot of the protest crowd are those that pay income taxes. That does not make them elites. It does make a lot of them middle class and working class.

The Pauls are happy because even though the government is totally corrupt, they get a few scraps. The Peters paying for this were never going to lie down and just take it.

You can understand what drives both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Yes it does matter, because currently those " Loyal supporters " are waking up to the scam.

Tabs not delivered . Farmers that start to protest because after several lame excuses they are still not paid.

They want the elections very quickly, because every day some new facts come above water , and soon the Shinawatra's will have to run for their life because their " loyal supporters" eyes have opened.

If the government's opponents really believed this, then they would not have forced a situation which obliged Yingluck to call an early election in the first place. They would have been patient and allowed the government to dig itself into a deep enough hole whereby a majority of the electorate would vote in the Dems.

But they simply don't have enough confidence in their ability to win over a majority, so they have given up on democracy. The trouble is the relatively silent PT supporters will turn this into a major battle, even civil war, if Suthep and his backers get their way.

If they had waited any longer, that would have cost the Thai people 6 Trillion Baht over the next 50 years, and that would have been only a start, because Thaksin would be able to reign the country himself as he was whitewashed of all his crimes.

And that is also the reason why she don't want to delay elections, because today they still have a chance to get votes and in April the Amnesty bill returns to the lower house, which can be made law within a single parliament session.

If they have to wait any longer there will have been so much dirt surfaced that they probably will not be able to leave the country alive.

• Like 1

Sorry PeterSmiles - Thaksin won't be back, that's pretty clear now. I seriously doubt we'll ever see the Amnesty Bill again, certainly not in its current form. The 6 trillion is a complicated issue - it isn't a 'loss'. Whether the best way of investing in Thailand's future, that's another issue. Virtually every country borrows to invest in infrastructure. The Dems would have done something similar.Again, if more dirt was to surface, all the more reason for Suthep not to force Yingluck into a corner. He only had to wait. But the silent war between Suthep's backers and the Shinawatras has gone beyond finding democratic solutions, reconciliation, bringing the Thai people back together. As for corruption, nepotism and croneyism, the whole system is rife with it. Anyone who believes the situation will change one iota with the demise of the Shinawatras is downright naive.Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The problem with the 2 trillion, the 350 billion, the international treaty changes is that they all explicitly come without good governance or oversight.

To have a vague 4 page document to describe 2 trillion baht worth of spending is an open invitation for corruption.

As for corruption, nepotism and cronyism, they all got worse under Thaksin, why would they not improve without him?

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 2

If the government's opponents really believed this, then they would not have forced a situation which obliged Yingluck to call an early election in the first place. They would have been patient and allowed the government to dig itself into a deep enough hole whereby a majority of the electorate would vote in the Dems.

But they simply don't have enough confidence in their ability to win over a majority, so they have given up on democracy. The trouble is the relatively silent PT supporters will turn this into a major battle, even civil war, if Suthep and his backers get their way.

If they had waited any longer, that would have cost the Thai people 6 Trillion Baht over the next 50 years, and that would have been only a start, because Thaksin would be able to reign the country himself as he was whitewashed of all his crimes.

And that is also the reason why she don't want to delay elections, because today they still have a chance to get votes and in April the Amnesty bill returns to the lower house, which can be made law within a single parliament session.

If they have to wait any longer there will have been so much dirt surfaced that they probably will not be able to leave the country alive.

As a diehard supporter of Suthep and his holy case, why are you wasting your time at the keyboard?

Get out onto the streets and fight for "your" cause!!

If you really believe Suthep is the saviour of this country, it should be a small sacrifice to join the master on the barricades??

Or are you just another keyboard-warrior??coffee1.gif

As a diehard supporter of Suthep and his holy case, why are you wasting your time at the keyboard?

If you really believe Suthep is the saviour of this country, it should be a small sacrifice to join the master on the barricades??

So you are suggesting that people that dont agree with you should stop discussing their opinion on this forum? Nice.

• Like 2

Sorry PeterSmiles - Thaksin won't be back, that's pretty clear now. I seriously doubt we'll ever see the Amnesty Bill again, certainly not in its current form. The 6 trillion is a complicated issue - it isn't a 'loss'. Whether the best way of investing in Thailand's future, that's another issue. Virtually every country borrows to invest in infrastructure. The Dems would have done something similar. Again, if more dirt was to surface, all the more reason for Suthep not to force Yingluck into a corner. He only had to wait. But the silent war between Suthep's backers and the Shinawatras has gone beyond finding democratic solutions, reconciliation, bringing the Thai people back together. As for corruption, nepotism and croneyism, the whole system is rife with it. Anyone who believes the situation will change one iota with the demise of the Shinawatras is downright naive. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Amnesty bill will come back 180 Days after it was sent for approval, and it will be approved by the lower house the same day. Why do you keep believing that she says the bill is canceled as she has already been caught out so many times telling lies about the same issue . It is now 15 Months that the ombudsman has asked her to explain why a new passport was issued to Thaksin, yet she still hasn't answered.

The 6 Trillion will disappear in their own pockets, or why do you think it was so important that projects would not need senate approval ?

Take a look around you. In the past two and a half year a lot of money has disappeared, to the extend that they are even not able to pay the farmers, and where was it spend on . Certainly not the road net, as this is in such a bad condition i've never seen it in the past 20 years. Local governments have no budgets for their administrations.

The problem is that as long as they are in power, the dirt can not surface, as the media is restricted, it is only with the mass attention Suthep gets now that the people can be made aware. If Suthep hadn't taken action in November, the Amnesty law and the Loan bill would have been approved already at that time.

I know Suthep is corrupt and i would never support him to take over power, and I'm confident the people who back him now are also aware of that, but he has to go ahead until this country is rid of the evil Shinawatra's.

• Like 1

Sorry PeterSmiles - Thaksin won't be back, that's pretty clear now. I seriously doubt we'll ever see the Amnesty Bill again, certainly not in its current form. The 6 trillion is a complicated issue - it isn't a 'loss'. Whether the best way of investing in Thailand's future, that's another issue. Virtually every country borrows to invest in infrastructure. The Dems would have done something similar.Again, if more dirt was to surface, all the more reason for Suthep not to force Yingluck into a corner. He only had to wait. But the silent war between Suthep's backers and the Shinawatras has gone beyond finding democratic solutions, reconciliation, bringing the Thai people back together. As for corruption, nepotism and croneyism, the whole system is rife with it. Anyone who believes the situation will change one iota with the demise of the Shinawatras is downright naive.Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The problem with the 2 trillion, the 350 billion, the international treaty changes is that they all explicitly come without good governance or oversight.

To have a vague 4 page document to describe 2 trillion baht worth of spending is an open invitation for corruption.

As for corruption, nepotism and cronyism, they all got worse under Thaksin, why would they not improve without him?

Yes agree with that ref. good governance. But good governance is an alien concept in Thailand, irrespective of the identity of those concerned, as it would go some way to stopping them lining their pockets. I don't think that the Shinawatras are worse than anyone else in that respect. Thaksin is down at no. 10 in the Thailand rich list (Fforbes) and there's another 30 or so worth more than half a billion. We would be pretty naive to think that given the way the system works here, some of this wasn't accumulated in a rather dubious fashion.

As for assertions about things getting worse under Thaksin, I've yet to see real in-depth studies demonstrating this conclusively.

What a fiasco! I don't know what the rest of the world must must think. There's one half of the population who repeatedly vote in an obviously corrupt and incompetent group of self-serving crooks, and another half who want to drag the country back to feudalism and are prepared to wreck the place to do it.

You've got to feel for the millions of ordinary Thais who couldn't give a toss either way and are just trying to live their lives going to work every day taking care of their families etc,

Exactly - to both comments.

When I commented along those lines to a well-paid Thai Air employee 'friend' a few days ago, she gave the stock reply that I'm a farang and should go away and learn about Thailand and its culture. They really are indoctrinated fools on both sides, pawns in a game being played out by the Shinawatra clan and his few remaining allies on the one side, and Suthep's powerful backers on the other. Suthep is just the figurehead.

Sad, but not surprising, that the so-called educated 'masses' demonstrating cannot see what is going on.

As the Nazis and fascists in 1930's Europe quickly learned, the educated middle classes are the easiest to dupe.

• Like 2

It's interesting how the tenor of these threads has changed! A couple of months ago most TV forum members were in favour of Mr.Suthep and all his works. Glad to see that most of you now see him for what he is.

All the die-hard supporters are probably sulking in their war-room!!passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gipassifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

Or are busy issuing fatwas against all us non-believers!w00t.gif

Its boring to see the campaign against Suthep, if the name Suthep is in the first line, you will see a lot of new members, and the posts are same every time.

And about you and your friend,It sounds like drunken, old farangs, talking in a Pub....boring...coffee1.gif

<snip>

I know Suthep is corrupt and i would never support him to take over power, and I'm confident the people who back him now are also aware of that, but he has to go ahead until this country is rid of the evil Shinawatra's.

crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

• Like 2

Yes agree with that ref. good governance. But good governance is an alien concept in Thailand, irrespective of the identity of those concerned, as it would go some way to stopping them lining their pockets. I don't think that the Shinawatras are worse than anyone else in that respect. Thaksin is down at no. 10 in the Thailand rich list (Fforbes) and there's another 30 or so worth more than half a billion. We would be pretty naive to think that given the way the system works here, some of this wasn't accumulated in a rather dubious fashion.

As for assertions about things getting worse under Thaksin, I've yet to see real in-depth studies demonstrating this conclusively.

I have been here since the mid 90s. Things absolutely got worse under thaksin as he systematically attempted to dismantle the checks and balances of government.

This is what caused his demise that time and this.

You should not have to look very far to find out information on this but you could start on the book "thaksinisation of thailand"

• Like 1

Said the keyboard warrior who posts negative comments in each and every thread on this forum, as he know it will earn him some likes from the majority negative community on here, since he considers likes a reflection of a winning personality . bah.gif

What the rest of the world has to think ?

That this man stands up for his countrymen.

Half of the population voted for an obviously corrupt and incompetent group of self-serving crooks, because they got paid for it and don't have anything to lose, while the other half understand that they are paying the piper and want those crooks out of their life forever.

If only you were correct, but you not. The Dems bought votes at the last election and have admitted it, but they still lost. The people who voted for PTP candidates did so out of choice. They may not all be middle class Bankokians, but they are not stupid. And yes, in their opinion, the only one which matters to them, they did have something to lose if the Dems were kept in government.

I recall that when the Democrats were in government, they got money for their harvest, which they clearly have lost under PTP.

“Our fight is non-violent resistance, with peace, and empty hands. If you intend to use force, use guns, all the violence will be on the tapes and will be displayed to the world to denounce you.”

You better believe it, suthep

TKThailandScuffle125122013e.jpg

TKBangkokBattle25122013e.jpg

Does that scarf logo look familiar? It should do

PAD_icon_yellow.JPG

From the Peoples Alliance for "Democracy" aka PAD Website, http://www.antithaksin.com/02_Purpose%20PAD.html

Of course there's no PAD involvement in these rallies whistling.gif