Where to sharpen knives?

susanschwaiger

I have always used the old Thai guys that walk around villiges that do this for a living. Unbelievable job they do and cheap. Depends where you live and you kinda gotta luck out on when they are around or if you have a Thai partner that can understandn their chants about it like most of the other village/street carts etc.

• Like 1

Why don't you buy a Knife sharpener in any Supermarket?

Don't think this is rocket science!

This is what I was going to suggest. I've yet to see the ambulatory knife sharpeners pass through our condo (alas). My sister gifted me one Christmas an electric knife sharpener and I love it! You might consider investing in the same. Good luck and happy new year!

Why don't you buy a Knife sharpener in any Supermarket?

Don't think this is rocket science!

This is what I was going to suggest. I've yet to see the ambulatory knife sharpeners pass through our condo (alas). My sister gifted me one Christmas an electric knife sharpener and I love it! You might consider investing in the same. Good luck and happy new year!

Haven't seen electric ones anywhere around here......

The hand held pull through ones are in Homeworks.

• Like 1

Look for a "Farang" who has been stabbed in the back by their Thai staff.....or others.......and help yourself to it

only kidding...........wink.png

The knife grinder would be good, if you can ever see one......I have garden shears that need sharpening.....but rarely see the man

Edited by DD13

We have a knife sharpener (a stick) when we bought this whole set of knives in Index. But the stick doesn't help much.

Maybe it't time to buy a new set if I can't get the professional sharpener with stones.

Just recently learned from the cooking show that the stick is only for keeping the edge of the knife straight which makes it cut better between sharpenings. In addition to the electric sharpener I also use the square sharpening stone that comes in a box (made in China, I think) and is sold in many places. It is especially good for larger knives/cleavers/hatchets as well as the normal kitchen knives.

• Like 1

I tried the stone, the mortar edge, back of another knife, no avail. Had years ago a pull through type sharpener that made a saw pattern on the blade... Now who can teach me how to do this right. Oh, and also watched YouTube videos on this topic.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for all the input !!!

Now I will raise up my ears for the wooden sound and also keep my eyes wide open for the stone in shops w00t.gif

Back in my country, there are pedlars wandering in communities and sharpening knives/scissors for people. Good old sweet memories .......

PS: another possible place is the open air vegetable markets where also sell raw meat. Will keep an eye on that too

After all of the sarcastic replies, I hope this one actually helps. At the Nuklua market, the small one, not the large commercial one, you will find a gentleman that sharpens knives for all of the vendors working there. He will be glad to do yours as well, and really does a great job. He is just inside the fence of the park, 50 feet north of the restroom, along side the driveway that passes the stalls where they cook your fish for you. He uses many stones from coarse to eventually fine. No automatic knife sharpener will even come close.

• Like 1

After all of the sarcastic replies, I hope this one actually helps. At the Nuklua market, the small one, not the large commercial one, you will find a gentleman that sharpens knives for all of the vendors working there. He will be glad to do yours as well, and really does a great job. He is just inside the fence of the park, 50 feet north of the restroom, along side the driveway that passes the stalls where they cook your fish for you. He uses many stones from coarse to eventually fine. No automatic knife sharpener will even come close.

Wow ! Super ! I often go there for sea food, but never pay attention to that area. Am sure I'll find him next time. Thanks a great deal :)))

PS: Maybe they also sell these in Pattaya.

post-125519-0-55518200-1388979965_thumb.

Learnt how to sharpen knives over a period of time Now I wouldn't let anyone else near my knives.Main thing is to wash knives seperately one at a time to stop dulling the edges in the first place.I use three different grade stones.Its not that difficult to do.

Is the small market next to the post office, or is that the commercial one ?

Go to cook shop next to Foodland or in 2nd Rd. Get a silicone carbide sharpening stone. Will last a lifetime for about Baht 200.

You will need to put a little oil on it to hone the knifes properly and get a cut throat type edge.

• Like 1