SIA to cancel 19 flights as travellers avoid Bangkok

webfact

That's funny: Since when is Phuket a less troubled spot? It is invested with Suthep's thugs. If Sutheps's Malay speaking criminals have ruined the Bangkok economy they return home to block the roads because nobody wants to buy their substandard rubber or they support insurgents who target schools, teachers, doctors and nurses and soon.... Phuket.

Issan runner is better is it? We could do with your wisdom in the farming forum. We need a good laugh down there.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny: Since when is Phuket a less troubled spot? It is invested with Suthep's thugs. If Sutheps's Malay speaking criminals have ruined the Bangkok economy they return home to block the roads because nobody wants to buy their substandard rubber or they support insurgents who target schools, teachers, doctors and nurses and soon.... Phuket.

My wife's cousin called 3 weeks ago asking if there were any jobs in Pattaya. She's a desk clerk at one of the nicer resorts in Phuket. They laid off a bunch of the staff. Bookings are way off. I was at a major resort here in Pattaya 2 weeks ago. The place was deserted. The political problems are coming home to roost.

• Like 2

Singapore actually has a travel warning out to Bangkok. SIA still does well to Bangkok because corporates like to fly SIA and executives of MNC's based in Singapore are not permitted to fly on LCC on business flights.

+1 you are spot on. Last year I tried even get a flight back before the long holiday and I couldn't even get a flight with Air Asia, Thai, Nok Air back from Udon to Bangkok. On the end I bought a bus ticket. Tomorrow I am flying back from Udon to Bangkok and every flight has seats available. I booked business class for just 2800 Baht on Thai.

And Singapore recently had its first race riot in approx. 25 years and is itself subject to travel advisories.

As much as I like Singapore, it is a tinderbox of racial tension waiting to ignite.

And what of the darling Cambodia that so many TVFers sing their praises of? 3 dead yesterday as workers protested for a working wage.

Yes, it is easy to get a flight back from Udon Thani at this time of year. The mad rush is over. Udon Thani flights are fairly well booked solid on the LCCs. I flew in and out of Nahkon Si Thammarat around Christmas on Nok and the plane was full. I was the only faring on the plane which I found weird. The RT fare was dirt cheap.

BTW, Thai stopped servicing the Udon Thani route last year when it handed it over to Thai Smile. There is no business class on Thai Smile, just Smile Plus.

You're in for a shock as well as there is no lounge, but you might get a 45 baht coupon for a drink and snack at the small shop.

The reality is that the December-February high season still belongs to western tourists and while the numbers were up this year, western economies are still hurting. It's a reflection of the western economy more than anything else. On the other hand, last year at this time, Hua Hin was not very busy. This year, it was so bad the beaches were crowded despite the cold. It's still packed.

• Like 1

This is an immense opportunity for the competition to step up to the plate. The universe - as they say - abhors a vacuum. As Arisman is contemplating buying an airline himself, this is a perfect time to make an entrance. Arisman Airlines. Come flee with us !

All foreign airlines should follow suit as their own protest to the stupidity of the Thai protests. Take away the pacifiers until the babies stop crying.

So your on the side of a Dictator Democracy

what a n oxymoron to come from the red shirts

Thaskin's assimilation was predatory; every Thai must be assessed to determine whether there biological and /or technological distinctiveness has been considered "worthy of being added to the Thakin Collective's perfection". If found to be so, the thai person (preferably from Issan) must be set upon and forcibly assimilated; the Thaskin Collective consider will of the people in this matter are irrelevant

PS we live in Issan and our village has not been forcibly assimilated by the Red Shirts yet as to many Thai ladies are married to the dreaded farlang

Hmmm. I'm not sure whether the Google translation was broken or not. And your assessment is a typical reactionary one of both a blind angry protester or equally misinformed pro government individual.

I was actually pointing my original statement to both sides of the pig pen. Leaders of both sides could use a good double tap to the head for all I care.

Mind you it is the 'farang' that helps bring revenue into the kingdom and provide both jobs and industry and intellectual value (most of the times) at all levels of living, not solely tourism. And most of the times the resident/legally working farang pays taxes contributing to Thai economy unlike the locals who look for ways to dodge the taxman. And it is always the farang being told to shut up or get out when the locals have a beef with each other because they feel farangs know nothing and they are not Thai.

I probably wouldn't knock the local Isaan woman for finding a willing farang to settle down with as he will most likely add more value to the life of that woman and her immediate family than any of the neighborhood men (with his other secret wives) would.

So yes, maybe it is about time for multi national companies such as in the airline industry to make some waves on the shores of lovely Thailand.

• Like 1

The only thing Thais understand is money. Eventually, it will sink in.

Yes after all the TV and Radio propaganda on how one man can cause so much grief, then the baht will fall...like rain...sorry the uneducated follows follow the darkness so it will remain in darkness...sad but this is the Thai way...please just watch as you paid for admission to this soap opera..and for you information the fire exits are all locked..no escape....oh yes lots of popcorn and drinks..and you have the privileged like me to fall asleep...rest well a new dawn will happen..

My wife's cousin called 3 weeks ago asking if there were any jobs in Pattaya. She's a desk clerk at one of the nicer resorts in Phuket. They laid off a bunch of the staff. Bookings are way off. I was at a major resort here in Pattaya 2 weeks ago. The place was deserted. The political problems are coming home to roost.

One of my friends managed a large resort south of Patong. Kata Beach, not a small place but was struggling for a few years wgc. He's retired now and watching his rubber trees grow

you should be crazy as a tourist to have the luck to be prisonner here in this country if/when the airports are seized again

yes, offcourse the sexpats dont care, they can reval a few more days and they dont risk to get fired as they will have a valid excuse to spend some more time in the land of sin

And Singapore recently had its first race riot in approx. 25 years and is itself subject to travel advisories.

As much as I like Singapore, it is a tinderbox of racial tension waiting to ignite.

And what of the darling Cambodia that so many TVFers sing their praises of? 3 dead yesterday as workers protested for a working wage.

Would you have a link to any government travel advisories for Singapore?

All foreign airlines should follow suit as their own protest to the stupidity of the Thai protests. Take away the pacifiers until the babies stop crying.

United airlines from the USA already announced that they will cancel all operations to Bangkok.

United airlines from the USA already announced that they will cancel all operations to Bangkok.

Me and my big mouth. :(

a friend did takea flight from Europe to Bangkok last week. The plane was completely full because it was shared between 3 different airlines, otherwise it would have nearly empty.

Europe is losing its taste for Asia.

The guardian newspaper in England did not even rate Thailand in its recent 40 places to visit. Says a lot eh?

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

Can't wait for Thai Airways, BA, Luft, all the Russian charters and the Chinese to follow suit.

The only high quality tourist that will arrive will be cockroaches.

shame it wont happen.

Russians need visas and for Thailand they don't. Same for Chinese that's why they come here

That was a corporate decision on fleet realignment made several months ago. It is planned to take place in March and has absolutely NOTHING to do with the current situation. United have been code-sharing the bulk of their Bangkok bound flights with ANA for years already and the United branded 747 at Suvarnabhumi was getting harder to spot anyway,

Edited by NanLaew

Can't wait for Thai Airways, BA, Luft, all the Russian charters and the Chinese to follow suit.

The only high quality tourist that will arrive will be cockroaches.

thai airways have increased there prices... absolute stupid

and lowered their services yet again.

Thailand within 5 years is about to get a very SEVERE economic lesson. Maybe even earlier

Unfortunately the people of Thailand have manifested this situation on themselves , there is no one else to blame, most have been taken for suckers with a political party, that in a good democratic country would be hard pressed to get registered let alone hold power , blinded by promises , untruths , bribes and riddled with corruption, they took the bait, now Thailand will pay the price, unfortunately a lot of good people will get hurt , before this little shin dig is over..bah.gif

I totally agree and we have said it all before.

I can't wait to see the big wigs get a lesson

As one of the most anally retentive nations on the planet the Singapore reaction is hardly surprising. One would expect to see a worldwide response so lets see how that AVERAGES out, eh?

Whilst Singapore is good as a stopover... The airline is one of THE MOST successful ones in the world.

Others take a lead from them.

I have friends in travel wholesale who state travel is down to Thailand and Asia in general and many airlines such as European ones cut back 2 years ago

Funny thing, Americans too understand money, BUT Americans do not have the courage the Thais have. Americans prefere to sit at home and let an illegal become dictator and destroy the country. So no flights have to be cancelled to the US

well that comment seems foolhardy. Who is the dictator and who is the illegal in control of where?????

• Like 1

One of the reasons i live in Thailand is because of the easy routes between Australia and Europe, if flights go astray i think i will have to re-think my situation here in this Land Of Smiles BUT

As Lingba writes

"once the income stops flowing they will finally wake up"

it will never happen,,

You want to know how smart the Thai government is, then read this brilliant strategy for trade in Thailand with other nations,, we import Portuguese wine to Australia and were interested in doing a wine trade show in Bangkok, it never happened, want to know why,, read on, but i will give you a spoiler,,,,

Thailand's wine tax was 400 per cent at the time (per bottle). Fearing that this would be charged to all the exhibitors at the fair, the company cancelled it.

People were only allowed to bring in to Thailand 3 bottles to exhibit?

Read here

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/TCEB-ready-for-lawsuit-over-scrapped-wine-fair-30190336.html

Also known as Bangkok Wine Fair 2010 Google it for more intriguing reading.

The stupidity that happens in this country astounds me,,, someone once described the government as like the three stooges ruling this country (am i allowed to say this? please delete if it offends)

I am in the same boat as you. Ozzie here doing business... Half way to Europe ...easy.

But the government??? OMG!

Just looking at flights from Singapore to Bangkok for Air Asia and Tiger and you can see the drop in prices for flights from January 12 onwards. Plenty of one way tickets under 100SD. On this route not many flights are this cheap when booked less than two weeks out, normally you would expect to pay SD120-150.

Small point to note, but all airlines drop their prices after the first week or two of the new year.

The Christmas holiday makers are all back home trying to replace the copious amounts of money they spent here.

but the money has NOT been spent as anticipated.

I went to Bangkok on new years eve on a whim. Got a 5 star hotel normally any time of year at 15000baht per night per room... I got it for 4500. So I would say .... Business is DOWN

So your on the side of a Dictator Democracy

what a n oxymoron to come from the red shirts

Thaskin's assimilation was predatory; every Thai must be assessed to determine whether there biological and /or technological distinctiveness has been considered "worthy of being added to the Thakin Collective's perfection". If found to be so, the thai person (preferably from Issan) must be set upon and forcibly assimilated; the Thaskin Collective consider will of the people in this matter are irrelevant

PS we live in Issan and our village has not been forcibly assimilated by the Red Shirts yet as to many Thai ladies are married to the dreaded farlang

really... Do you think that comment intellectual???.. I font think,your village would benefit from either side so stating support if a stupid colour is a correct or wrong way of thinking for a better life for Thai people is ridiculous.

nothing to do with the protests..their planes are half empty now work out the maths brains...ashford and simpson.......(solid as a rock)

Nothing to do with the protests??? And you dare mock others? Congrats on the most asinine post this month.

As one of the most anally retentive nations on the planet the Singapore reaction is hardly surprising. One would expect to see a worldwide response so lets see how that AVERAGES out, eh?

Why do you consider it anal retentive for SIA to cancel some flights and what averages in a worldwide response are you looking at?

Not quite sure what you are trying to say

• Like 1

SIA to cancel 19 flights as travellers avoid Bangkok

Okay, so that means "Shut down Singaporeans for not coming to Bangkok in the future then.... Screw the Singaporeans, the nasty, nasty Singaporeans and with them all the nasty nasty Falang...."clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

It will sink in it's time to put up the prices.

hit the far rang who live here. Squeeze them more. That will save us!!! and send the far rang to Myanmar so we can have all the wealth of Thailand for only Thai people

Stayed at the Asia Hotel (Paya Thai Road, Bangok) for the last several days. The place was packed to the rafters with mostly foreign tourists (mostly Europeans from what I could make out). I'm sure that tourism is taking a beating, but SIA's situation may be unique. I suspect that most of their passengers to Bangkok are Singaporeans and other residents of Asia who may be better informed about the events in Bangkok. My friend visiting from Perth was clueless about the Bangkok protests but it does take a fair bit of news bandwidth in Singapore. Only speculating, of course...

I just stayed at lebua and eastin grand sathorn. They NEVER have rooms at this time. Both had very competitive prices and loads of availability

Companies do what they do to make money.

If governments and their populations did the same we would never have wars but people are emotional and known to go into anger fits as we see all over the world.

Logic will not stop this fight.

One side wants power, total power, and it cannot win elections. Thus, it will do what it can and what it must to gain power.

The other side will of course react violently after a time. This is how it goes wherever it happens. All these comments calling Thais names and making as if other people on earth are any different might make some feel superior but these statements ignore reality.

Hundreds of years of fighting between elites and the masses they rule have taken place. Yanks? You forget your civil war? Did logic do it for you then? The French Revolution. Hitler and WW II. Did logic work? Stalin killing his own people in mass in Russia. Mao doing the same in China. The British holding onto India for far too long until Gandhi. No logic here.

Thailand so far is far better in avoiding massive deaths and so I will wait and watch and allow the Thais to do it their own way without my sarcastic remarks finding their way into the way--these thoughts would only talk to my own nation and not to Thailand.

Still, a change in Thailand will come. The poor want more rights and they want to be able to elect their leaders.

The older Thais who are yellows are blowing against the wind in trying to stop the move toward democracy. They could simply forgive the Reds and move their own yellow party more to the middle and defeat the Reds in elections. Their refusal to do so is their own misfortune.

• Like 2

my friend at phuket in a very big 5 star resort says the same. It is hitting hard. Also I have some friends in bars in pattaya and they are hurting. Tourist season has flopped

Singapore actually has a travel warning out to Bangkok. SIA still does well to Bangkok because corporates like to fly SIA and executives of MNC's based in Singapore are not permitted to fly on LCC on business flights.

+1 you are spot on. Last year I tried even get a flight back before the long holiday and I couldn't even get a flight with Air Asia, Thai, Nok Air back from Udon to Bangkok. On the end I bought a bus ticket. Tomorrow I am flying back from Udon to Bangkok and every flight has seats available. I booked business class for just 2800 Baht on Thai.

Yes, it is easy to get a flight back from Udon Thani at this time of year. The mad rush is over. Udon Thani flights are fairly well booked solid on the LCCs. I flew in and out of Nahkon Si Thammarat around Christmas on Nok and the plane was full. I was the only faring on the plane which I found weird. The RT fare was dirt cheap.

BTW, Thai stopped servicing the Udon Thani route last year when it handed it over to Thai Smile. There is no business class on Thai Smile, just Smile Plus.

You're in for a shock as well as there is no lounge, but you might get a 45 baht coupon for a drink and snack at the small shop.

The reality is that the December-February high season still belongs to western tourists and while the numbers were up this year, western economies are still hurting. It's a reflection of the western economy more than anything else. On the other hand, last year at this time, Hua Hin was not very busy. This year, it was so bad the beaches were crowded despite the cold. It's still packed.

it is not just economic pressures in Europe. The travel advisories do hurt