Why Do You Post On Thai Visa Forum?

Costas2008

In reference to post #26, as I posted once before, the actors James Stewart and Henry Fonda were friends for over 50 years. Fonda was a flaming liberal and Stewart an arch-conservative. When asked how they remained friends they simply replied: We don't discuss politics.

If I do choose to discuss American politics or legal matters, I comment in The NY Times or The Washington Post or Twitter where there is at least a chance that someone who has any say in the matter will read it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good question. I've nothing to complain about and generally enjoy life in my rural surroundings. But TV does keep me informed about Thailand and it is a good source of info about many things. I also can have a laugh in English. I can ignore all the BS if I choose, so many reasons

• Like 1

krisb, on 04 Jan 2014 - 13:37, said:
Costas2008, on 04 Jan 2014 - 13:16, said:
chiang mai, on 04 Jan 2014 - 13:09, said:

chiang mai, on 04 Jan 2014 - 13:09, said:

I use TV forum as a means of R & R from my work with the SAS/Special Forces/et al, it helps heightens tension and increases my blood pressure in the event I should be called into action at a moments notice.

We can't all be as clever and active like you, my friend!
Yep there's also people like that they try and be funny but just don't have it.

There's also those that try and lure you into a fight. These types usually try and bully and belittle you, making themselves feel inflated but really they are like earth worms and feed themselves on excrement or in Greek it's skutta. Don't allow their insecurities to bother you. Sadly the tuth is they struggle with life and always have.

Thank you very much for your good advice, krisb.

As I said before....I still feel a "newbie" on TVF.......still learning!

Very impressed with your knowledge of Greek!

Yia sou

What city has the biggest Greek population in the world outside of Greece .? No the anwser is not Thailand . it's apparently Melbourne, Australia, which is home to 300,000 Greeks, making it the largest Greek population outside of Greece itself.

In reference to post #26, as I posted once before, the actors James Stewart and Henry Fonda were friends for over 50 years. Fonda was a flaming liberal and Stewart an arch-conservative. When asked how they remained friends they simply replied: We don't discuss politics.

If I do choose to discuss American politics or legal matters, I comment in The NY Times or The Washington Post or Twitter where there is at least a chance that someone who has any say in the matter will read it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSN1F72QU4

I post for entertainment. If someone has a question that I can reasonably offer practical information on, then I do, but that is rare.

I mostly bicker in General, and chat about rugby in the Sports forum. If I can, I combine the two.

I'll go to the pub and see if there's anything happening there, but it's normally pretty quiet

SC

• Like 1

Very useful for help on immigration etc, need to be on mushrooms to understand the requirements here but are a number of seasoned veterans able to explain what you need in words of one syllable. Very helpful

Also handy for info when flicking through hundreds of TV channels with guides which have the thai for 'no information available' when trying to catch an FA cup or international footy match. Saves a lot of farting around

• Like 1

I, like many other posters live in rural Thailand, and while I speak fairly decent Lao, cant read Thai to save my life (not through want of trying), so its kinda nice to be able express myself in my mother tongue. I like a lot of the humor I find on TV, and its nice to see other people like me who have embraced a totally different culture. I do 'try' to stay away from the endless 'is my gf a hooker', 'should I trust a bargirl' threads, but sometimes I just cant help myself LOL. I like the food, farang pub & Isaan forums, but assiduously steer clear of the Thai News forum. That my friends is simply jam packed with bile toting self righteousness

• Like 2

Very useful for help on immigration etc, need to be on mushrooms to understand the requirements here but are a number of seasoned veterans able to explain what you need in words of one syllable.

need to be on mushrooms

How'd you guess? sad.png

I do it for the tshirts and beer.

Still waiting for the tshirt........

How was the beer?
Plentiful....just ask theblether! :D
Who?

:)

He was a member here who made a mistake with a particular post and broke one of the cardinal rules of the forum.....it happens.

One post and bam....you are gone.....its time for a song.......:lol:

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSN1F72QU4

I post for entertainment. If someone has a question that I can reasonably offer practical information on, then I do, but that is rare.

I mostly bicker in General, and chat about rugby in the Sports forum. If I can, I combine the two.

I'll go to the pub and see if there's anything happening there, but it's normally pretty quiet

SC

Your efforts in the music forum dont go unnoticed, keep them coming.

1. It's a news source in English--not many of those.

2. During an emergency, such as with the 2011 floods, it is virtually the only up to date source of info in English.

3. The food forum has some interesting ideas and good insights on locations for favorite foods I can't find.

4. Some of the stories are so strange as to be beyond belief; far better than watching Ancient Aliens on History Channel.

• Like 1

As my mother language is not English, gives me the opportunity to improve my writing skills and knowledge of the English language.

They say……that it’s never late to learn.

Τα αγγλικά σας είναι εξαιρετική! (Your English is excellent!) I wish I could speak and write Greek as well as you do English, Kosta!

I read TVF because there is a lot of useful information disseminated on this site, and I post here because I'm a compulsive commenter all over the place, and have quite strong opinions. That's not to say I post comments just for the sake of it - I don't. My posting rate is much lower than many here. But if a topic interests me, or espouses an opinion I agree/disagree strongly (or even mildly, sometimes) with, then I'm moved to comment. Also it can be an invaluable source of specific information. On several occasions I've asked a question in the travel section, for instance, and received really useful feedback from people who know the answers to the questions I ask. That sort of thing is priceless.

TVF is a lot of fun, as long as you are fairly thick-skinned. There's no hope here for the professionally offended. The posters here pretty much reflect people you would meet in all walks of life, from the timid to the aggressive, from the intelligent to the stupid, from the honest to the dishonest. It's a microcosm, and there is a lot of entertaining banter. For all the heated arguments that unfold on these pages, it is a community bound together by Thailand, in one way or another, and the people here are for the most part a pretty decent crowd, even if I don't always agree with them! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Yia sou

What city has the biggest Greek population in the world outside of Greece .? No the anwser is not Thailand . it's apparently Melbourne, Australia, which is home to 300,000 Greeks, making it the largest Greek population outside of Greece itself.

When I lived in Melbourne in the 70s, it had the largest population of Greeks after Athens - it even beat Thessaloniki, which is the second largest city of Greece! I think Thessaloniki has now reclaimed the No 2 spot.

• Like 1

Brilliant information given when asking questions in other forums such as visa etc...

General forum is just a bit of fun to read.

The same stuff gets rehashed time after time but that is to be expected over such a long period about one topic Thailand.

Its compelling reading when someone goes into meltdown over something trivial.

Its good to see other people going through the same stuff too so you know you are not alone.

Most of all the information i guess keeps me coming back.

I'm not in Thailand now and have just started typing again instead of lurking that is something that goes in monthly/yearly cycles.

So have fun and enjoy

• Like 1

Costas- there are plenty of Farangs in and around Ban Phai. They have regular get togethers in town and also at each other's homes. Lots of guys from Malta of all places too. Regular fishing trips to Khon Kaen area.

Just ask your missus where all the Farangs meet in town - I believe it is Tuesdays and Fridays.

• Like 1

official media is deficient and i like to know whats shaking and what avoidable and occasionally get some non BS useful stuff from here, yeah i said occasionally, very occasionally indeed ..also get a real laff more than daily.

• Like 1

First, I would like to give you my reasons.
  1. Living in a small village, in the middle of rural Isaan, I scarcely have the opportunity to meet other English speaking people.

So, by posting on TVF, gives me the feeling, that I am communicating with a large audience, not only in Thailand but all over the world.

I can freely express my opinion in various subjects……don’t we know it all…..and also crack a joke…..sometimes good……sometimes of bad taste.

Still a “newbie” but I am getting there.
  1. I have too much spare time in my hands.

As my wife is a nurse (Always planned ahead in my life), and she works shifts, 8 or 16 hours during the day and sometimes the night shift, gives me lots of idle time.

You could suggest……read a book……listen to some music….watch a film…..get a life, and you would be right……but this is a subject to be discussed later.
  1. To improve my English skills.

As my mother language is not English, gives me the opportunity to improve my writing skills and knowledge of the English language.

They say……that it’s never late to learn.

Many times before, I have been corrected by moderators or other posters and I am grateful for that.

Keep up the good job people.

I have shown you mine……so, please, show me yours now.

Reasons…..I mean.

Life Issan, similar to life in chora Foleagandros.:D or you from the mainland?

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I post (asking questions) because it's a goldmine ! The knowledge of all You serious BM.s are incredible ! You have helped me a number of times that have saved me a lot of time !i From VISA questions to small things like where to buy this and that..thanks to all of You..

• Like 1

Costas, there's lots here using this forum in the same way as you. It's a great way to meet some great mates.

What part of Issan are you in if you don't mind me asking?

You are dead right Krisb, I have met and am still meeting posters from time to time and keeping in touch, even though I live out in the Boonies. I was even invited to stay at another TV members home for a few days over Christmas which I accepted, and the hospitality was fantastic, along with another two very regular posters.

That's just it Smokie (replying to post #40) he made a mistake. Is there anyone who does not make mistakes? He contributed a lot to TV with lots of helpful posts, and told us some very interesting stories. The rest of us members are just going to have to be very careful.