Where to get some British currency 'loose change' in Phuket

simon43

Sounds a strange request?

The Maths sylllabus that I'm teaching when I return to Myanmar next week uses British Curriculum, and there is a strong emphasis on counting, currency and money. The textbooks all use British coinage in their illustrations and questions.

I know from direct experience last year when I taught a US curriculum in Yangon that my young students get easily confused when having to do Maths problems involving a 'foreign' and unfamiliar currency.

I cannot easily use the local Kyat currency in my lessons because I'd be working in 1,000s of Kyat, and my class has not yet reached that ability level. It's much easier to be able to show and feel the coinage that matches the pictures in the text book.

I did have US dollars to hand last year, but this time I have no UK currency small change!

As a last resort, I could print and cut out some pictures of the coins, but it would be much better to have a pocketful of loose change - 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, 1 pound and 2 pounds.

I don't think money exchange offices will have foreign coinage.

Any suggestions where I might buy some loose change? If you have some British decimal coins, I will happily come and buy them off you at an agreed meeting place in Phuket.

Thanks

Simon

will be old British coins left over from colonial times.

Yes, as you stated, no problems to buy old pre-decimal coinage from the Yangon street stalls.

It might seem a frivilous request, but it makes learning numbers, counting etc so much easier for young students whn they can see and touch the coinage. I have a few days before I travel, so I'll also ask some of my hotel guests.

Simon

Sounds a strange request?

The Maths sylllabus that I'm teaching when I return to Myanmar next week uses British Curriculum, and there is a strong emphasis on counting, currency and money. The textbooks all use British coinage in their illustrations and questions.

I know from direct experience last year when I taught a US curriculum in Yangon that my young students get easily confused when having to do Maths problems involving a 'foreign' and unfamiliar currency.

I cannot easily use the local Kyat currency in my lessons because I'd be working in 1,000s of Kyat, and my class has not yet reached that ability level. It's much easier to be able to show and feel the coinage that matches the pictures in the text book.

I did have US dollars to hand last year, but this time I have no UK currency small change!

As a last resort, I could print and cut out some pictures of the coins, but it would be much better to have a pocketful of loose change - 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, 1 pound and 2 pounds.

I don't think money exchange offices will have foreign coinage.

Any suggestions where I might buy some loose change? If you have some British decimal coins, I will happily come and buy them off you at an agreed meeting place in Phuket.

Thanks

Simon

post-166124-1388913745517_thumb.jpg

There you go I have 1 Fifty pence, 2 Twenty pence, 1 ten pence and 1 Five pence.

post-166124-13889137054841_thumb.jpg

Just realised that my suggestion is no good. In Yangon, it'll probably be in old money, not decimal.

we thought the British were quite odd people when we had to learn "Sterling = 20 Shillings, Guinea = 21 Shillings, Shilling 12 Pence, Ha'penny...".

our favourite was the "Fart-Thing" laugh.png

I have the rest if you can make a journey to Patong .

I'm coming from near the airport, so it's easy to go to Chalong via Patong. what coins do you have? (I'm not after one of each, several of the same denomination is also fine).

Please PM me to arrange a date/time I'll come down in the next day or soi

Thanks

Simon

Just realised that my suggestion is no good. In Yangon, it'll probably be in old money, not decimal.

we thought the British were quite odd people when we had to learn "Sterling = 20 Shillings, Guinea = 21 Shillings, Shilling 12 Pence, Ha'penny...".

our favourite was the "Fart-Thing" laugh.png

Don't blame us Brits. Blame the Romans. We inherited the system from them.