Mae Sai experience on Jan. 4

roger1999

Two friends of mine went to Mae Sai yesterday for a visa run.

One (American) was given 30 days, the other (a French national) was given 15 days. Since France is a G-7 country, I would have expected him to get 30 days as well. Any idea what might be going on?

My American friend is afraid that the next time he goes he might get only 15 days.

Appears the officer is not up to date.

BANGKOK: -- Royal Thai Immigration Bureau has confirmed to Thaivisa.com that holders of passports of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy are since November 1, 2013 given 30 days at land borders instead of previously only 15 days.

News topic here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679721-good-news-for-holders-of-uk-usa-japan-germany-france-canada-and-italy/

Just a quick question. Were their passports written on at all next to the visa stamp? Two English friends of mine have just come back from a run and both have had a Number 1 in pen and then circled placed next to the visa stamp (saw it myself). They could not get an adequate explanation at the border given huge numbers being processed during this holiday period. Both got thirty days but are worried that the writing is a quick an easy visual of your border runs and that they could come a cropper later on.

Edited by mamborobert

Dante 99, I don't understand your response. France is a G7 member and thus he expected 30 days. In his case it doesn't matter since he will be returning to France in less than 15 days.

Mamborobert, I don't know. I won't be seeing the French guy again soon but I can ask the US guy. If I learn anything I can PM you.

Just a quick question. Were their passports written on at all next to the visa stamp? Two English friends of mine have just come back from a run and both have had a Number 1 in pen and then circled placed next to the visa stamp (saw it myself). They could not get an adequate explanation at the border given huge numbers being processed during this holiday period. Both got thirty days but are worried that the writing is a quick an easy visual of your border runs and that they could come a cropper later on.

I have heard the new 30day stamps are limited to 4, maybe they number them.

Still confused.

I have a 1 year non immigrant category 'O' visa issued in Hull, UK on 23 Aug 2013.

My 90 day stay is up on the 19th Jan and I am looking at doing a border run to Mai Sae (I am based in Chiang Mai).

Will I automatically get another 90 day stamp in my passport or should I be considering something else.

Thanks

Peter

Still confused.

I have a 1 year non immigrant category 'O' visa issued in Hull, UK on 23 Aug 2013.

My 90 day stay is up on the 19th Jan and I am looking at doing a border run to Mai Sae (I am based in Chiang Mai).

Will I automatically get another 90 day stamp in my passport or should I be considering something else.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

You should get another 90 days. The above conversation is referring to visa exempt entries by holders of G7 passports.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Still confused.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

You should get another 90 days. The above conversation is referring to visa exempt entries by holders of G7 passports.

Well, that's assuming that manfriday has a multiple entry non-O. He does not state whether he has a multi. If it's a single entry then he won't get the 90 day stamp.

Surely, what Thailand is, and has been trying to do for some time, justifiably in my humble opinion, is to try to prevent people from in effect "living here" ie spending most if not all of their time here on a tourist entry visa, hence why for a few years now restrictions have been attempted against those who choose not to get an "annual type" visa before they come here?

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

After my non-immi ceased, I did a border run and was given 15 days (Aussie) with a number one written on it.

They have been limiting 15 day entries at Mae Sai to 4 so I would expect it to be the same for 30 day entries.

Still confused.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

Well, that's assuming that manfriday has a multiple entry non-O. He does not state whether he has a multi. If it's a single entry then he won't get the 90 day stamp.

Possibly. He stated he has a 1 year non-O issued in the UK, this is almost certainly a multiple entry. I'm assuming he (or anyone else) is not foolish enough to try and attempt multiple entries with a single entry visa.

Still confused.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

Possibly. He stated he has a 1 year non-O issued in the UK, this is almost certainly a multiple entry. I'm assuming he (or anyone else) is not foolish enough to try and attempt multiple entries with a single entry visa.

There are those that travel who are shall we say not wrapped correctly. So assume nothing.

“When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.”

~ Oscar Wilde on Assumption
  • Like 1

Still confused.

Thanks

Peter

Peter

My Brit wife and I had Non O multiple entry visas for many years, always from Hull, and often used Mae Sai for the 90 day exit and entry, with never a problem.

As an aside, however, we were not given said visa stamps this past year by Hull because we could not show evidence of a "current" account with £16,000. We had various UK bank accounts and although they were instant access savings accounts they did not qualify per the consulate's literal interpretation of the word "current". We got that non-negotiable ruling in October last year. I also know that the consulate website has since been stripped of many visa downlaod guides, including that one. Were you asked to comply with that ruling, out of interest?

Thanks

Tom

Not forgetting (of course) that the Burma Side Entry "fee" is $10 US and not the BT.500 (ha roi) that they "suggest" you contribute.

Maybe yes, maybe no..... did a run this past Friday the 3rd and just gave the guy 500 baht note and no questions or glitch.

Those of you out there that know me, understand that I have some what may be considered slow down difficulties. Talk about miracles . There were literally hundreds in line waiting at both sides. I left my van and went out of MS, cross to Tach, and back into MS and then to the van in 28 minutes. Yes that was a few minutes longer than usual.

I can see that they would prefer the 500 as the $10 is a couple hundred less, but all was worth it to me.

G

My wife and I are doing a short trip around the Golden Triangle by car. We'll be passing near Mae Sai so I was wondering if there is anything worth buying on the Thai side of the border (liquor, food stuff, dry goods, etc.) that would be a lot cheaper than CM.

Still confused.

Thanks

Peter

Peter

My Brit wife and I had Non O multiple entry visas for many years, always from Hull, and often used Mae Sai for the 90 day exit and entry, with never a problem.

As an aside, however, we were not given said visa stamps this past year by Hull because we could not show evidence of a "current" account with £16,000. We had various UK bank accounts and although they were instant access savings accounts they did not qualify per the consulate's literal interpretation of the word "current". We got that non-negotiable ruling in October last year. I also know that the consulate website has since been stripped of many visa downlaod guides, including that one. Were you asked to comply with that ruling, out of interest?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom

My Non O multiple entry visa was granted in the latter part of August 2013.

I only showed evidence of the required money in my saving accounts and that at that time, was obviously ok for them.

Peter

• 2 months later...

Hello again.

From my previous posts I did infact get a 90 day stamp on my passport way back in January as everyone said I would.

However, my stamp is until the 16th April and I fly out of Thailand on the 21st April.

Bad management as far as I am concerned and a lesson learned.

I believe I have 3 options.

1. Pay the overstay fine on exit.

2. Do another border run to Mae Sai

3. Get an extension at immigration for 7 days.

For me the first option is a no no.

2nd option is wasting a day of my remaining 17 or so days here in CM.

So it looks like the 3rd option - but what do I need for immigration to grant me a 7 day extension?

I believe it makes good sense to be there at 7am. Not a problem, but I must have the correct paperwork.

Any ideas what these requirements are or where I can find out???

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

You're only allowed 4 visa runs before you need to leave the country and go to a Thai consulate (Laos, Malaysia, etc)

They've started enforcing this and after number 4 they won't get any more.

Once they've had a new visa they can do it again starting at number 1.

I managed to get 7 at one time then got told to leave, but obviously by having a number in a circle next to each stamp they're getting serious again.

You're only allowed 4 visa runs before you need to leave the country and go to a Thai consulate (Laos, Malaysia, etc)

They've started enforcing this and after number 4 they won't get any more.

Once they've had a new visa they can do it again starting at number 1.

I managed to get 7 at one time then got told to leave, but obviously by having a number in a circle next to each stamp they're getting serious again.

I didn't have a number written next to my stamp on 7th March. Maybe I'm special. As far as I'm aware there is no official limit either - just that some border posts enforce unofficial limits.

Edited by inthepink

I'm on a one year, multiple entry, O-A, based on age and assets. I was under the impression that I would get another new year every time I re-entered the country, up until the expiration of the visa (which is one year from date of application at DC Embassy). So basically, I would have approx 22 months before I had to show the 800k in the bank. Have I misled myself?

I didn't have a number written next to my stamp on 7th March. Maybe I'm special.

This is how it has been for many years. They are never consistent. The truth is that you can never be sure whether or not they will enforce certain rules.