Mae Sai experience on Jan. 4

roger1999

I didn't have a number written next to my stamp on 7th March. Maybe I'm special.

This is how it has been for many years. They are never consistent. The truth is that you can never be sure whether or not they will enforce certain rules.

Can't I just carry on thinking I'm special?

I have to go again tomorrow morning, because I haven't sorted my documentation for non-o visa yet. I'll see if they do anything different then.

Just a quick question. Were their passports written on at all next to the visa stamp? Two English friends of mine have just come back from a run and both have had a Number 1 in pen and then circled placed next to the visa stamp (saw it myself). They could not get an adequate explanation at the border given huge numbers being processed during this holiday period. Both got thirty days but are worried that the writing is a quick an easy visual of your border runs and that they could come a cropper later on.

You're only allowed 4 visa runs before you need to leave the country and go to a Thai consulate (Laos, Malaysia, etc)

They've started enforcing this and after number 4 they won't get any more.

Once they've had a new visa they can do it again starting at number 1.

I managed to get 7 at one time then got told to leave, but obviously by having a number in a circle next to each stamp they're getting serious again.

I didn't have a number written next to my stamp on 7th March. Maybe I'm special. As far as I'm aware there is no official limit either - just that some border posts enforce unofficial limits.

I wouldn't hold your breathe.

You might get to your thirdt attempt and if you get the wrong person behind the desk they'll look through your passport and give you a 1, 2 and 3.

Or you might get away with 7 of them like I did once.

Unnofficlal or not, Mai Sai definitely have a policy in place and they sometimes enforce it.

Just a quick question. Were their passports written on at all next to the visa stamp? Two English friends of mine have just come back from a run and both have had a Number 1 in pen and then circled placed next to the visa stamp (saw it myself). They could not get an adequate explanation at the border given huge numbers being processed during this holiday period. Both got thirty days but are worried that the writing is a quick an easy visual of your border runs and that they could come a cropper later on.

You're only allowed 4 visa runs before you need to leave the country and go to a Thai consulate (Laos, Malaysia, etc)

They've started enforcing this and after number 4 they won't get any more.

Once they've had a new visa they can do it again starting at number 1.

I managed to get 7 at one time then got told to leave, but obviously by having a number in a circle next to each stamp they're getting serious again.

I didn't have a number written next to my stamp on 7th March. Maybe I'm special. As far as I'm aware there is no official limit either - just that some border posts enforce unofficial limits.

I wouldn't hold your breathe.

You might get to your thirdt attempt and if you get the wrong person behind the desk they'll look through your passport and give you a 1, 2 and 3.

Or you might get away with 7 of them like I did once.

Unnofficlal or not, Mai Sai definitely have a policy in place and they sometimes enforce it.

I don't think I'll be doing it again after this time.

--------

Cheers finy!

Edited by inthepink

I'm on a one year, multiple entry, O-A, based on age and assets. I was under the impression that I would get another new year every time I re-entered the country, up until the expiration of the visa (which is one year from date of application at DC Embassy). So basically, I would have approx 22 months before I had to show the 800k in the bank. Have I misled myself?

Check the dates on your visa.

I was just at the border yesterday. I also was under the impression that I would get another new year when I re-entered... but it wasn't the expiration date of the visa that counted... it was the 'must enter before' date that they looked at... and I was four days past mine! I tried asking for a break but they said 'sorry.' They only gave me the next two months which is when my one-year visa will expire. BTW, this is only applicable to one's FIRST visa, not subsequent renewals.

I hadn't been in Tachilek in five years, but I'd swear it was the same beggars and basket-toting vendors, tut-tuk drivers and stall owners as before. Some things just never change...