British teachers please stop correcting my American daughter

zeichen

First, I want to state that though I am originally from the US, I have been teaching abroad for the majority of my life. I totally love schools that have various teachers and expose students to the myriad of accents and vernaculars of English. I often utilize British spelling, and vocabulary with students that are more familiar with it. When I teach, I don't ever tell students to change spelling or grammar points when they are consistent.

I want to make it clear that this is not an Anti British English post. What is chapping my ass though is my 4 year old daughter came home from school recently arguing with me about the ABC song. We sing it together all of the time. She goes to a Thai school but has a native teacher 2 times a week for about 30 minutes. You wouldn't think that little exposure would have much influence but my daughter now insists on pronouncing ZEEE, ZED. I told her that in our family we say Zee. She went to school and sang the ABC song with Zee and her teacher scolded her about how the proper way was to say Zed. My daughter said "in my family we say Z" Her teacher then really let her have it.

I just don't get it how teachers could willing want to change someone's accent or way of communicating. Really chapps my ass.

I really don't want to confront the teacher but it just drives me nuts that people in such a position of influence doesn't realize how serious their power is.

I'm sick of American teachers teaching the kids wrong English!!!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I want to state that though I am originally from the US, I have been teaching abroad for the majority of my life. I totally love schools that have various teachers and expose students to the myriad of accents and vernaculars of English. I often utilize British spelling, and vocabulary with students that are more familiar with it. When I teach, I don't ever tell students to change spelling or grammar points when they are consistent.

I want to make it clear that this is not an Anti British English post. What is chapping my ass though is my 4 year old daughter came home from school recently arguing with me about the ABC song. We sing it together all of the time. She goes to a Thai school but has a native teacher 2 times a week for about 30 minutes. You wouldn't think that little exposure would have much influence but my daughter now insists on pronouncing ZEEE, ZED. I told her that in our family we say Zee. She went to school and sang the ABC song with Zee and her teacher scolded her about how the proper way was to say Zed. My daughter said "in my family we say Z" Her teacher then really let her have it.

I just don't get it how teachers could willing want to change someone's accent or way of communicating. Really chapps my ass.

I really don't want to confront the teacher but it just drives me nuts that people in such a position of influence doesn't realize how serious their power is.

I'm sick of American teachers teaching the kids wrong English!!!!

For my 2 cents worth I would like to ask, what language is it that we teach?

Where did the idea of American English come from? Are the Americans saying that they have a superior language and that the rest of the world speaks gutter language? As to the spelling I believe all of this stems back to that incredible fellow Mr. John Longman and his introduction of what he considered should be the spelling of the English language. On the bright side though Coke and Microsoft are rewriting the language as we speak so it really is not going to matter much longer and, mark my words, in 10 years the Lingua Franca will be Mandarin anyway.

Mandarin in 10 years,, don't think so. it will clearly become more common but ten years is far too soon.

• Like 1

Where did the idea of American English come from? Are the Americans saying that they have a superior language and that the rest of the world speaks gutter language? As to the spelling I believe all of this stems back to that incredible fellow Mr. John Longman and his introduction of what he considered should be the spelling of the English language. On the bright side though Coke and Microsoft are rewriting the language as we speak so it really is not going to matter much longer and, mark my words, in 10 years the Lingua Franca will be Mandarin anyway.

Mandarin in 10 years,, don't think so. it will clearly become more common but ten years is far too soon.

Not even in 100 years. The Chinese are learning ENGLISH like everyone else.

• Like 1

Wow!

All the variations are real English.

American English is likely more dominant internationally because of:

-- general globalization

-- the emergence of English as the dominant international language for commerce, technology, and internet

-- commercial and cultural domination of the American "empire" in comparison to England which no longer has an empire (yes Hollywood movies have been a big factor in this)

-- the USA having a MUCH LARGER population than England

So who is claiming to own the language now Jing ;-)

a mere couple of hundred years ago the first language in your colony was Apache or Navajo; I gather that in 20-40 years it will be Spanish.

• Like 1

The Americans are know for being such great philologists, it's surprising that they didn't come up with their own language at inception! What with their great history and abundance of omnierudits, why adopt a pasilary? The language is of course called 'English' for one very good reason, it belongs to England!

The Americans are know for being such great philologists, it's surprising that they didn't come up with their own language at inception! What with their great history and abundance of omnierudits, why adopt a pasilary? The language is of course called 'English' for one very good reason, it belongs to England!

As I said:

Now, the WORLD "owns" English and it just so happens, however it did happen, that American usage of English has become more dominant than the English. Deal with it!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

As I said:

Now, the WORLD "owns" English and it just so happens, however it did happen, that American usage of English has become more dominant than the English. Deal with it!

Duh... try telling that to India, Pakistan etc etc

Wow!

-- general globalization

-- the emergence of English as the dominant international language for commerce, technology, and internet

-- commercial and cultural domination of the American "empire" in comparison to England which no longer has an empire (yes Hollywood movies have been a big factor in this)

"- the USA having a MUCH LARGER population than England"

Most Catholics live in South America but the pope is still based in the Vatican!

• Like 2

Wow!

-- general globalization

American English is likely more dominant internationally

More dominant, really? Sure there is influence from T.V, advertising and the internet but many countries still use British English when teaching English as a second or foreign language, even in Canada, they are still mainly taught B.E (albeit with an American accent!) I have taught in a fair few countries in and around Asia and have been surprised at just how popular B.E remains to be.

I really don't see a problem with either.

At one time I was a real stickler for British English as being the only acceptable standard having been raised on that.

However,.. international English is largely made up of American English and not British.

In the first place most of the differences and distinctions in BE are French based "colour" "neighbour" "centre" etcetera, and so with that said it could be argued that the American English derivations are more English than their "British" English counterparts.

Why not have the teachers teaching and accepting both standard as being acceptable? That would make more sense to allow the students to develop using the format they chose rather than trying to impose standard of correctness on them when in fact both standards are correct in their own right and as mentioned,- American English is widely accepted as the standard for International English.

Just my 2 cents (or 2 pennyworth if you prefer).

• Like 1

To the OP: You say yourself that:

"I totally love schools that have various teachers and expose students to the myriad of accents and vernaculars of English."

So why doesn't this same thing apply to your daughter's school?

• Like 2

Wow!

-- general globalization

America does not have an Empire, are you American?

"England no longer has an Empire and hollywood movies have been a big factor in this" What are you talking about man? I have no words for you,

You should relax a little. Although the lady posting has made a point, it is a small thing. Everyone knows that English is spoken differently in the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and wherever else.

English people don't care about this, it's trivial, the posts you are getting are just a bit of fun.

The USA has a bigger population the the UK,, and your point is? It still doesn't detract from the fact that the English language came from England does it.. America adopted it as a first language. Technically speaking the native language for America would be spoken by Native Americans would it not and there are / were many of them.

Do some research about the North American Empire country and chill out a bit.

Wow!

-- general globalization

More dominant, really? Sure there is influence from T.V, advertising and the internet but many countries still use British English when teaching English as a second or foreign language, even in Canada, they are still mainly taught B.E (albeit with an American accent!) I have taught in a fair few countries in and around Asia and have been surprised at just how popular B.E remains to be.

Canada is a commonwealth nation.

I used to work on documents for the general global market.

British usage (from British sources) always needed to be changed to more STANDARDIZED American-international usage.

This isn't really controversial. This happened. The most standard international English is much closer to American usage than British usage. Obviously hard core folksy Americanisms and American slang are not part of STANDARD international English either!

Edited by Jingthing

Sometimes i yearn for a bit of feedback from parents.

Why not try an catch her at the end of the day or during assembly time, no need to make an appointment or a big thing out of it, as you know, that looses teachers jobs.

Use your charm to win the teacher over, explain your point of view. Teachers should take time to understand their students backgrounds, but sometimes its a bit tricky, and are often misled by Thai teachers.

Wow!

-- general globalization

Canada is a commonwealth nation.

I used to work on documents for the general global market.

British usage (from British sources) always needed to be changed to more STANDARDIZED American-international usage.

This isn't really controversial. This happened. The most standard international English is much closer to American usage than British usage. Obviously hard core folksy Americanisms and American slang are not part of STANDARD international English either!

The problem arises because there is no international standard for English, only common usage.

As I said:

America doesn't have it's own language, it just borrowed ours.

The clue is in the name of the language "ENGLISH"

All you can do is call it "American English" but still "English" because that's what it is "English", originally and still spoken by the "English" who come from "England". Get the picture. Deal with it!

• Like 1

The language is called 'English' and the vast majority English pronunciations remain unchanged. American cacoepy is often ridiculed, certainly by breviloquent grandiloquents such as myself.

Two thirds of native English speakers are Americans.

Sometimes i yearn for a bit of feedback from parents.

Why not try an catch her at the end of the day or during assembly time, no need to make an appointment or a big thing out of it, as you know, that looses teachers jobs.

Use your charm to win the teacher over, explain your point of view. Teachers should take time to understand their students backgrounds, but sometimes its a bit tricky, and are often misled by Thai teachers.

Flexibility is not a strong trait in Thailand. We did it the wrong way for a long time and will keep doining it the wrong way. Period