British teachers please stop correcting my American daughter

zeichen

As I said:

All the variations are real English.

Now, the WORLD "owns" English and it just so happens, however it did happen, that American usage of English has become more dominant than the English. Deal with it!

America doesn't have it's own language, it just borrowed ours.

The clue is in the name of the language "ENGLISH"

All you can do is call it "American English" but still "English" because that's what it is "English", originally and still spoken by the "English" who come from "England". Get the picture. Deal with it!

I have dealt with it. I speak English. So do you. The royalties checks are NOT coming in the mail.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zee or Zed.... not too important really.

However........ "I really don't want to confront the teacher but it just drives me nuts that people in such a position of influence doesn't realize how serious their power is."

At least your daughter's British teacher would have got that right, facepalm.gif

• Like 1

As I said:

Now, the WORLD "owns" English and it just so happens, however it did happen, that American usage of English has become more dominant than the English. Deal with it!

All you can do is call it "American English" but still "English" because that's what it is "English", originally and still spoken by the "English" who come from "England". Get the picture. Deal with it!

Let me discuss this with the Muslim population in GB, London

As I said:

I have dealt with it. I speak English. So do you.

Correct, by jove you've got it old boy.

As I said:

Let me discuss this with the Muslim population in GB, London

What's religion got to do with this? Go back to sleep.

For my 2 cents worth I would like to ask, what language is it that we teach?

Where did the idea of American English come from? Are the Americans saying that they have a superior language and that the rest of the world speaks gutter language? As to the spelling I believe all of this stems back to that incredible fellow Mr. John Longman and his introduction of what he considered should be the spelling of the English language. On the bright side though Coke and Microsoft are rewriting the language as we speak so it really is not going to matter much longer and, mark my words, in 10 years the Lingua Franca will be Mandarin anyway.

Wow!

American English is likely more dominant internationally because of:

-- general globalization

-- the emergence of English as the dominant international language for commerce, technology, and internet

-- commercial and cultural domination of the American "empire" in comparison to England which no longer has an empire (yes Hollywood movies have been a big factor in this)

-- the USA having a MUCH LARGER population than England

American English is likely more dominant internationally

More dominant, really? Sure there is influence from T.V, advertising and the internet but many countries still use British English when teaching English as a second or foreign language, even in Canada, they are still mainly taught B.E (albeit with an American accent!) I have taught in a fair few countries in and around Asia and have been surprised at just how popular B.E remains to be.

Canada is a commonwealth nation.

I used to work on documents for the general global market.

British usage (from British sources) always needed to be changed to more STANDARDIZED American-international usage.

This isn't really controversial. This happened. The most standard international English is much closer to American usage than British usage. Obviously hard core folksy Americanisms and American slang are not part of STANDARD international English either!

If we are honest here, you say you used to 'standardize' documents and I know you said for 'global markets' but I'm thinking that this was for predominantly American usage right?

It seems to me that every time the subject of B.E versus A.E comes up, many posters here feel this is a time to 'sell' their version of it even though they are both correct!

My father is American but I was raised in London so I can see both sides of the coin (a little biased towards the UK obviously) but it does seem like B.E is established regardless of what others say. B.E is still and will always be the benchmark in my opinion.

My American daughter went thru hell at Dulwich ( now BIS )

with the pronunciation of the word WATER

color and colour

Curb and kerb

When my daughter came home one day from the Montessori school ( Philippine teacher than)

she told me she learned about PennISULA and i asked her what, she said u know like Florida

Peninsula next day had a talk with the teacher an a week later pulled her out of there.

Nothing worse than an english teacher teaching english wrong