Getting a UK passport for my newborn half Thai child

GarryUK

That answers my question.

I just emailed for an appointment for next week. This is the reply i got.

I am amazed that an official British agency can give information like this. It appears a 5 year old child wrote it!!

Rule Brittania no more i am afraid!

plus to add insult to injury it is written in far cking American!!

Importants for HMPO

*The application what apply in Bangkok, Thailand will process and be considered by HMPO in the UK at least 4 weeks up to 6 months approximately

*Please provide your passport and whole pages color copies with your signature on every pages, the other document can be in black-white.

*Thailand country only accept the payment by Credit/Debit card, require to print out and complete the payment form. Submit at the same time with document at HMOP Bangkok Center.

*The applicant need to apply in person in Bangkok, Thailand only

*No posting service but you can allow someone to collect it with your authority latter, please inform it on the day you apply.

*All documents which are not in English need to be translated into English with the official stamp

*The children no need to attend, the parent can apply on behalf of him/her

It may be an Official British Agency,but it's still Subbed out Locally!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that HMPO are saying now that the passport application can take from 4 weeks to 6 months....i have no chance of my son's UK passport being issued within 6 months of the date it was received into Liverpool passport office...however i am a glass half full kind of guy....partly due to being told by the progress team at HMPO that i am one of the lucky applicants for a passport! That was because i did not require a DNA test!!

Cheers..

I take it back!!! I have finally been told this morning by the progress team that my son's passport application has been approved by the overseas team at Liverpool!!! One day short of six months since it was received at Liverpool passport office...maybe these are the new service standards now...between 4 weeks and 6 months..

I realise that having to submit additional information delayed the process but the passport office received this information 17 weeks ago! It has taken them that long to complete the necessary security checks.

Hopefully i will find out more when an officer responds to the complaint i put in 2 weeks ago...

Cheers..

I want to go and do my son's application in the next couple of weeks, but I'm not sure how to go about getting proof of address. I don't work for a company in Thailand (but do live here full time), and have a marriage visa. My wife and I rent a house - her and my son's name are on a Tabien Baan for the house she owns elsewhere, but what about me?

EDIT: I see that I don't have to worry about this if I register his birth before I apply for the passport, so I'll do that.

Edited by Bardeh

• 4 weeks later...

Just to bring this back to life, I applied for my sons first passport 2 1/2 yr old Thai-farang On 5 Marc. I had an 11:30am appointment time but was aloud to enter when I got to the 28th Floor at 10:20am0am, straight in to one of the 5 passport application booths and was asked to hand over my documents 20 minutes later all done.

Just received a confirmation email and complimentary phone call to inform me that the passport was ready for collection from Trendy Office.

So looks like service totally back to normal in Liverpool and a very stress free 2 week turn around

Just to bring this back to life, I applied for my sons first passport 2 1/2 yr old Thai-farang On 5 Marc. I had an 11:30am appointment time but was aloud to enter when I got to the 28th Floor at 10:20am0am, straight in to one of the 5 passport application booths and was asked to hand over my documents 20 minutes later all done.

Just received a confirmation email and complimentary phone call to inform me that the passport was ready for collection from Trendy Office.

So looks like service totally back to normal in Liverpool and a very stress free 2 week turn around

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I take it back!!! I have finally been told this morning by the progress team that my son's passport application has been approved by the overseas team at Liverpool!!! One day short of six months since it was received at Liverpool passport office...maybe these are the new service standards now...between 4 weeks and 6 months..

I realise that having to submit additional information delayed the process but the passport office received this information 17 weeks ago! It has taken them that long to complete the necessary security checks.

Hopefully i will find out more when an officer responds to the complaint i put in 2 weeks ago...

Cheers..

Nice one, I am waiting since 15/Nov for mine, had to submit all original documents and my passport, got that back now after complaint, I am waiting on a decision as well , i have sole custody of my kids and cannoy get wifes birth cert, 3 lawyers told me in my situation the Cert is not Mandatory, someone just needs to tell Liverpool

As for HMPO Bangkok, beware they messed me up a couple of times, I had to send further documents including original Birth cert of my son , sent it all through HMPO , got a letter from Liverpool , they do not accept Laminated documents , my sons birth cert,. so they didn't tell me that when I handed it over at Bangkok

Edited by ExPratt

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm filling out the application form for my son's passport at the moment. Everything is pretty self-explanatory except for the grandparent's details part. I was born after 1982, so I know I'll need to put my parent's details down in Section 8. My wife is Thai, will I need to put her parent's details down too? I can't see how their details would be relevant because I'm the one passing on nationality, but I just want to make sure.

Yes u will need to include their details, they should be on her birth certificate which u should include. I was also born after 1982 so I sent my birth certificate, both my parents birth certificates and their marriage certificate. I received my daughters passport 2 weeks after application.

• 1 month later...

I have just got the photo's of the kids done for the passports in one of them Kodak shops. The baby's seems OK but the Boy's is about 2mm bigger than the range of 29 - 34mm.

Do you reckon this will be a problem?

Thanks

OK my appointment is on the 13th to apply for my son's passport. I'm going to go mad with all these bits of paper!. Can I just get a sanity check on my documents for those who've done this before? I'm a Brit, my wife is Thai, and I was born after 1982. Here's what I have:

• Colour copies of every page in my passport.
  • Colour copies of every page in my son's Thai passport.
  • Colour copies of every page in my wife's Thai passport.
  • The application form, filled out and signed by countersignatory.
  • Two photographs of my son, one countersigned on the back.
  • My wife's birth certificate, translated and stamped by the Thai foreign affairs ministry.
  • My son's birth certificate, translated and stamped by the Thai foreign affairs ministry.
  • Mine and my wife's marriage certificate, translated and stamped.
  • My original birth certificate, long version with my parent's names.
  • My mother's birth certificate.
  • My father's birth certificate.
  • My mother and father's marriage certificate.
  • Tabien baan with my son's name, translated.

Am I missing anything here? I don't think I am, but I don't want to go all the way down to Bangkok and have it be unsuccessful because I missed a document.

• 2 weeks later...

OK my appointment is on the 13th to apply for my son's passport. I'm going to go mad with all these bits of paper!. Can I just get a sanity check on my documents for those who've done this before? I'm a Brit, my wife is Thai, and I was born after 1982. Here's what I have:

• My wife's birth certificate, translated and stamped by the Thai foreign affairs ministry.
  • My son's birth certificate, translated and stamped by the Thai foreign affairs ministry.

Am I missing anything here? I don't think I am, but I don't want to go all the way down to Bangkok and have it be unsuccessful because I missed a document.

Probably too late now, but take colour copies of all the certified translated documents as they will certify the copies at VTS and give you the originals back.

I just got a call today to say my 2 kids passports are ready for collection .... that's only 2 weeks after I submitted the applications. Seems HMPO officials got a very large rocket up their asses since this time last year!

• 3 weeks later...

Just requiring a bit of advice.

From what I can understand of the guidance notes the signing of the declaration on the application form (section 9) needs to be done by my girlfriend (Thai) as we are not married. It looks to me from the notes that I do not have parental responsibility (even though I am the father) to be able to sign the declaration. Can anybody confirm this, my daughter is 4 months old, the passport will be for her.

Secondly, when attending the application centre with the form and docs can both my girlfriend and I enter the application processing centre or is only one person allowed in, if so even though I didn't sign the declaration can I pass over the documentation, it will be my cc that is paying for it all. My daughter is only 4 months so I see from these pages that she need not attend although I will probably have the gfs sister holding her outside the office.

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Applying for my daughters (11 years old) first UK passport. I'm British and living in Thailand. Her mother is Thai.

Questions: Which documents does my wife need to submit? Which documents need translating from Thai to English? Any sugestions on a good translation service.smile.png

Why do you need your parents' birth certificates?

I'm applying for my daughters first UK passport. She is eleven years old, was born here in Thailand and holds a Thai passport. I am British and her mother is Thai.

1) What documents does her mother/my wife need to provide?

2) What documents need to be translated from Thai to English?

3) Can anyone suggest and good translation service?

We've done family visit visas for four previous visits to the UK, but it makes sense to sort our daughter out with her own British passport. We live in Nakhon Si Thammarat so when we make the trip up to Bangkok I want to have everything right and not forget the dogs DNA Certificarte (!!!) as it's a long (and expensive return trip).

• 3 weeks later...

Why do you need your parents' birth certificates?

Because I was born after 1982, I think.

I'm applying for my daughters first UK passport. She is eleven years old, was born here in Thailand and holds a Thai passport. I am British and her mother is Thai.

1) What documents does her mother/my wife need to provide?

2) What documents need to be translated from Thai to English?

3) Can anyone suggest and good translation service?

We've done family visit visas for four previous visits to the UK, but it makes sense to sort our daughter out with her own British passport. We live in Nakhon Si Thammarat so when we make the trip up to Bangkok I want to have everything right and not forget the dogs DNA Certificarte (!!!) as it's a long (and expensive return trip).

If you look at my list further up the previous page, you'll see everything you need. If you were born before 1982, I think you can forgo your parent's birth and marriage certificates, but better to check and make sure. Everything in Thai needs to be translated and stamped by the place that did it. I went and got them certified by the Foreign Affairs Ministry here just in case, but I don't think that's actually necessary as long as the translation shop you use is legit.

Edited by Bardeh

Thanks. I was born in 1960 so hopefully I won't need my parents' birth certificates as they've been dead for years. I don't have a long form birth certificate myself as I was born in Rhodesia but I believe my Registration as a British Citizen in 1968 will suffice. This document shows my parents' names and their British citizenship.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to know the accepted paperwork for a passport for my son I have sole responsibility for him and have the papers from the Court to prove that but I have lost contact with his Thai mother and as cannot contact her I cannot supply any information from her, I think that I have all the papers that is needed from myself I am not sure if I will be able to get a passport for him

• 4 months later...

^Hiesenberg

If you read through the thread you'll see the issue of countersignatory has been discussed to some length. Everything you need to know is explained in the application guidance notes available from the HMPO website, links to which you'll find earlier in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I'm not sure everything is clear from the guidance notes as we rent in Thailand and would like to know if the actual Tabian Baan is required.

Re: Table A Identity, name and address and/or residency evidence - I have a full copy and the entries for my child and wife with translations for the Tabien Baan and would appreciate if someone could advise if I need to take the original Tabien Baan which belongs to my wife's parents to the application appointment?

Thank you.

^Hiesenberg

If you read through the thread you'll see the issue of countersignatory has been discussed to some length. Everything you need to know is explained in the application guidance notes available from the HMPO website, links to which you'll find earlier in this thread.

I'm not sure everything is clear from the guidance notes as we rent in Thailand and would like to know if the actual Tabian Baan is required.

Re: Table A Identity, name and address and/or residency evidence - I have a full copy and the entries for my child and wife with translations for the Tabien Baan and would appreciate if someone could advise if I need to take the original Tabien Baan which belongs to my wife's parents to the application appointment?

Thank you.

I replied to your PM, TheLobster, but what the hey I may as well add this here in case it comes in handy for anyone else in the future. You won't actually need to include the original Tabien Baan with the application, but if possible I would take originals of EVERYTHING along with you, just in case you need to get a new copy when you're actually there. This is probably more for peace of mind than anything else, but you don't want to get in there and suddenly discover that the copy is wrong somehow, or lost, and not have the original to make a new copy.

^Hiesenberg

Thank you.

You just need to prove your address in Thailand. My girlfriend is from Laos but living with me in Thailand so I just had a letter from my employer confirming our address plus a utility bill showing my name (but not hers).

• 4 weeks later...

^Hiesenberg

Thank you.

I replied to your PM, TheLobster, but what the hey I may as well add this here in case it comes in handy for anyone else in the future. You won't actually need to include the original Tabien Baan with the application, but if possible I would take originals of EVERYTHING along with you, just in case you need to get a new copy when you're actually there. This is probably more for peace of mind than anything else, but you don't want to get in there and suddenly discover that the copy is wrong somehow, or lost, and not have the original to make a new copy.

Thanks for your advice.

I have just received notification that my child's passport is ready to collect, just 2 weeks after the application appointment !

Just a couple of comments:

I submitted an ID card instead of a 50 colour page passport for my wife.

The Tabien Baan documents and translations were not submitted as we rent, so the rental agreement was accepted (to avoid confusion regarding addresses according to the staff). So this cost of translation would seem to be unnecessary if you are renting.

Name changes documents for marriage (Thai and translation) were also submitted.

Other than our marriage certificate and translation the other documents were translated by a recognised translation business (not stamped by the MAFF).

Kind regards,

The Lobster

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2014 at 0:27 PM, daveyravey said:

Ok i just got back from VFS Bangkok. My application was accepted by VFS. I will now post my experience to see if it helps other people needing to make a first passport for their half Thai-half British child. I am married to my Thai wife so if you are not married maybe docs are different.

I firstly emailed VFS for an appointment. I gave them 4 possible days and i got the first day i asked for.

Here is the email address [email protected]

When you get the appointment here is where you need to go. It is 100m just down Sukhumvit soi 13 on the right. Go into the main entrance and

the lifts to the 28th floor are behing Tom n Toms coffee shop.

Tip .... do all your photocopying elsewhere as it is 5 times more expensive inside this building. Sukhumvit 13 is right by Nana BTS station.

Trendy Office Building, 28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Road Soi 13, Klongtoey Nua
Wattana, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand

Ok now you got the appointment you had better get your paperwork right.

This is what i needed and it was all accepted.

1. Full colour copies of every page of my British passport. Even the empty pages. All the way from front to back and in colour.

2. My full birth certificate from Uk. This must have your mum and dads names on it . Short version not allowed. They will check original and keep copy.

3. My childs Thai birth certificate and a translation and a photocopy of original.

4. My wifes passport and a photocopy of main page.

5.A signed copy of my wifes id card. I did not take this card as my wife needed it elsewhere.

6.My wifes birth certificate and a photocopy and a translation.

7.Our Tabien Baan housebook and photocopy and translation showing wifey and my child.(this acted as proof of address)

8. 2 photos of my child. Be careful to check the dimensions as there is a set requirement from chin to forehead. Be sure to check. 1 photo

must be certified by a suitable person. I used a friend who is retired civil servant Rules are here .https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

9. Thai marriage certificate and the written part. This is 2 sheets. They need to be copied and translated.

10. I also needed my divorce certificate to prove a previous marraige was over. This also applies if your previous partner died. You need a death certificate. They checked the original and kept a copy.

Obviously you need to complete the application form and payment form.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-creditdebit-card-payment-authorisation

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/applying-for-a-passport-from-outside-the-uk-application-form

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passports-guidance

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-supporting-documents-group-2

I have highlighted red what you need translated. I used Keyvisa in Pattaya for translation. He charged me 500b per page and it was done sameday. Overall it was 8 pages. The boss there also checked my paperwork so i got some free advice. If you go to Bangkok allow time for your translations.

I went upstairs at the Trendy 20 mins before my time and got a ticket opposite the lifts and entered the big waiting room. It was well organised and i went directly to window 11 where passports were being dealt with. I was out of there by 3pm. The Thai lady who served me was polite and very helpful. She had a checklist and i just handed her each paperwork as she requested it and she filed all the paperwork she needed to keep and gave me back originals. She handed me a receipt and took my phone number and email and told me they would be in touch within a few weeks to collect the passport.

I hope this helps others in my situation.

Daveyravey

For the proof of address how many documents were required? and were they all in your name or a combination of you and your wife?

with kind regards

Colin