Bangkok Shutdown: Travellers told to reserve 4 hours before flight departure

webfact

Travellers told to reserve 4 hours before flight departure
By Digital Content

13889758235846.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 6 – Travellers flying out of Thailand via Suvarnabhumi on Jan 13 when Bangkok will be seized by anti-government protesters have been told to leave for the airport at least four hours ahead of their flights, according to the Airports of Thailand (AoT).

Raweewan Netarakavesana, Suvarnabhumi airport director, said the massive rallies in various areas of Bangkok will result in traffic congestion and inconveniences to passengers.

Travellers are advised to avoid the occupied streets and commute on electrically-driven Skytrain, underground and Airport Link if possible.

She said AoT management will reserve special parking areas at the airport and provide shuttle buses from Suvarnabhumi to nearest Airport Link, Skytrain, underground and railway stations.

A 24-hour operations centre at Suvarnabhumi will coordinate with related agencies and airlines to facilitate air travellers, she said.

Singapore Airlines announced cancellation of 19 flights to Bangkok between mid-month to late next month.

The national carrier normally operates five daily flights from Singapore to Bangkok. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-06

All well and good but what happens to those arriving on 13/01 or shortly thereafter? Getting on the airport link will be extremely difficult, given that there is a limited number of sets. Getting onto the BTS will be even more difficult given the likely high usage. Getting from the BTS/MRT to a hotel will be nearly impossible. Not of any concern to Mr Suthep but a big worry for tourists and those Thais whose jobs rely on tourism

• Like 1

I think overnight at the airport hotel would be better.

Better spend a few more Baht than be sorry.

Unless the protesters decided to take Swampy (just like they have threaten to take Krabi airport over the weekend).

The airport director's advice is a bit confusing. Is she saying allow four hours to get to the airport or is she saying depart for the airport 4 hours before your flight? If the latter, that only allows one hour for travelling. Better to say at an airport hotel and take their shuttle bus to the airport - and even that can take 20 minutes, but at least you will get to the airport. What you find when you get there is a different matter.

• Like 1

The bastards better not take the airport again.

But that is their Ace guaranteed to get em on CNN.

It worked before remember and innovation is eschewed hereabouts.

Many people are going to suffer many losses before this is settled.

The bastards better not take the airport again.

I have NO DOUBT they will do it they did it before and will do it again if allowed to do so.

They were allowed to do it the last time by the AoT staff who walked out. The same will happen this time. What will be different this time round is that the government and the international airlines will be expecting it and both will have made contingency plans.

That is fine for them, but a great many people are employed at Swampy and a lot of local businesses are dependent on the airport. They could be in for a difficult time.

May want to make it a little longer since the Bangkok Posts says the Airport Link was shut down for a while this morning for unspecified problems.

Seems like it was the BKK-Town side of the line affected most, but details were sketchy..

• Like 1

We love tourists really [ well tourist money anyway ] I am sure they will all manage to get a cheap taxi into town to find their hotel if not just hang about at the airport for a few days until it all quietens down in uptown Bangkok

All well and good but what happens to those arriving on 13/01 or shortly thereafter? Getting on the airport link will be extremely difficult, given that there is a limited number of sets. Getting onto the BTS will be even more difficult given the likely high usage. Getting from the BTS/MRT to a hotel will be nearly impossible. Not of any concern to Mr Suthep but a big worry for tourists and those Thais whose jobs rely on tourism

6 million people plus think its worth it, the holiday of a few thousand tourist is small compared to the issues they are fighting for.

We love tourists really [ well tourist money anyway ] I am sure they will all manage to get a cheap taxi into town to find their hotel if not just hang about at the airport for a few days until it all quietens down in uptown Bangkok

May want to make it a little longer since the Bangkok Posts says the Airport Link was shut down for a while this morning for unspecified problems.

Seems like it was the BKK-Town side of the line affected most, but details were sketchy..

Full dress rehearsal.

Yep, tourists should get early to swampy, so they can be milked for their last money, buying overpriced food booze and souvenir crap.....burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

Yes clearly this is all a ploy to force travelers into purchasing noodle soup for 150THB when it can be had elsewhere for 80THB. I'll give you the 70THB difference if it means that much jethro ....

Yep, tourists should get early to swampy, so they can be milked for their last money, buying overpriced food booze and souvenir crap.....burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

Yes clearly this is all a ploy to force travelers into purchasing noodle soup for 150THB when it can be had elsewhere for 80THB. I'll give you the 70THB difference if it means that much jethro ....

Don't worry about me, Gold Member, I'm straight off to the lounge. tongue.png

• Like 1

Unless the protesters decided to take Swampy (just like they have threaten to take Krabi airport over the weekend).

I'd be confident the airport action in Krabi is a test indicator and a rehearsal for the already planned seizure of Swampy coming soon - others don't know the planned seizure date but Suthep and his mob almost certainly have make the decision and have set the date. Fascists in a civil insurrection will stop at nothing, will resort to anything - it's like war in that you start out with some rules then eventually throw out all the rules as the heat of war increases, and this in reality is a war.

"Fascists in a civil insurrection will stop at nothing". You mean like firing grenades at Skytrain stations or burning down buildings?

You might want to think about which side are actually the fascists before you start throwing the word around.

Maybe this shutdown is a sign to travellers to consider choosing another destination for their holidays. Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos are all fascinating countries. Why should travellers inconvenience themselves when they can just choose another destination with more political stability and that doesn't have a mob threatening to shut down a whole capital city? Unless of course the idea behind coming to Bangkok is taking pictures of this mob.

Seriously, I'd give it a miss and choose another destination. Just in this region alone there are many others to choose from.

Where else can you go this very month with the possibility of seeing real history being made, with virtually no physical risk to bystanders (above the normal travel risks like crime, traffic, tropical diseases, snakebite, etc)?

Inconvenienced? Maybe. But coming home with a story and pictures. You can tell your Grandkids "I was there".

No, I'm not glad it's happening. But given that it's 100% out of my control- I'm not dreading it, either. Just going with the flow.

Super Bowl- Inconsequential. Olympics- Fodder for Trivial Pursuit questions. F1 Race- nobody will care in a year who won. This is real history- that may really mean something.

Or it may fizzle. But then, ya' buys ya' ticket, ya' takes ya' chances. You don't buy a ticket (or you bug out before it gets interesting), you don't get a chance.

What I would't give for a chance to go back and see the Berlin Wall coming down. Sigh.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I'd be confident the airport action in Krabi is a test indicator and a rehearsal for the already planned seizure of Swampy coming soon - others don't know the planned seizure date but Suthep and his mob almost certainly have make the decision and have set the date. Fascists in a civil insurrection will stop at nothing, will resort to anything - it's like war in that you start out with some rules then eventually throw out all the rules as the heat of war increases, and this in reality is a war.

How many fascist insurrections have you actually taken part in or witnessed?