jet ski scams

phycokiller

^^^

These would be my best guesses .... Of those that came into the police station, and of those that admitted to damaging the jet skis, I think a fair guess would be closer to 90% who felt that the damage claims were excessive or beyond their current cash means. Then of those, compromises would make up 80% and 20% would choose to go to court to settle any official complaint made by operators. Probably less than 30% of all cases at the station would say that they had not damaged the jet skis at all. In nearly all cases renters would admit that they had signed the paper before renting that stated they had inspected the jet ski prior to renting and which stated the consequences for any damage when they returned it.

I cannot comment on percentages of cases that were settled or otherwise on the beach itself because those are not recorded like the station cases are.

As I say, these would be my best guess after seeing hundreds of these cases within the police station over a period of years.

I would suspect that many of those renters admitting to damage were naive in accepting the evidence of the scammers taking photo's of the jet-ski before they went out not understanding that these images would be photoshopped before their return to remove any signs of damage. Even if you have looked carefully yourself it's very hard on returning the ski to dispute the faked photographic evidence shown to you when they point out actual damage that doesn't show on the photos.

• Like 2

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when did I ever deny there were scams ? Since when did I ever deny what others have witnessed ? Since when did I assist the scammers ? Since when did I deny that there was corruption ? I simply stated what I have myself witnessed in a specific jet ski related context within a specific location - the police station.

Get over it.

And this thread was about what is actually happening on the beach... but you couldn't resist to come on here and state what you have seen in the front of soi 9 police station, hardly on topic was you!

I can't get over the fact that you need to take a look at yourself and get over yourself to be fair

cheers

• Like 2

As an investigative journalist I saw ‘jet-ski rip offs’ daily in front of “Royal Garden Plaza” in Pattaya involving both visiting westerners and Thais, especially in late afternoons. Thin coatings of water soluble paint or putty disguised previous damage that was definitely not recent, with exorbitant repair and compensation fees being quoted. Police were often involved and victims were told to settle “now” to avoid additional costs, so Pattaya City Hall correctly advised that all complaints should be handled by their “Consumer Affairs Department.” However, after business hours, the unprotected victims were usually physically threatened by large numbers of jet-ski ‘staff’ and in Phuket a victim was threatened with a firearm. Similarly, helpful bystanders, who tried to intervene were often threatened, so one wonders if the somewhat biased statement by “petercool” was connected to some ‘volunteer police’ being dismissed for unethical behaviour or should he be “dope tested.”

You said it buddy!!!!!!

The scanners operate under the total protection of Soi 9.

As an investigative journalist I saw ‘jet-ski rip offs’ daily in front of “Royal Garden Plaza” in Pattaya involving both visiting westerners and Thais, especially in late afternoons. Thin coatings of water soluble paint or putty disguised previous damage that was definitely not recent, with exorbitant repair and compensation fees being quoted. Police were often involved and victims were told to settle “now” to avoid additional costs, so Pattaya City Hall correctly advised that all complaints should be handled by their “Consumer Affairs Department.” However, after business hours, the unprotected victims were usually physically threatened by large numbers of jet-ski ‘staff’ and in Phuket a victim was threatened with a firearm. Similarly, helpful bystanders, who tried to intervene were often threatened, so one wonders if the somewhat biased statement by “petercool” was connected to some ‘volunteer police’ being dismissed for unethical behaviour or should he be “dope tested.”

it is interesting to see your comments all of which i have read in the local press . i cannot find any investigative journalist under the name of richard peters . are you based in thailand or just another story teller .

it is interesting to see your comments all of which i have read in the local press . i cannot find any investigative journalist under the name of richard peters . are you based in thailand or just another story teller .

Hey Peter / newbie leave the investigating to people with eyesight.

There are many hundreds of people who rent jet skis every day in pattaya without being scammed . I have many friends who enjoy this while on holiday and only once did they have to pay for anything , and that was when they did do some damage . I cannot believe some of the posters on this forum . It would appear they only see the negatives in Thailand , but maybe what else is there to see through Chang beer goggles. As petercool has pointed out yes there are scams but not on the scale the Chang mongers seem to think .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I can only suggest that people who have the constant urge to defend Thai crooks like these jet-ski gangsters and try to make everybody see Thailand through their pink glasses, make an effort and watch for a few hours opp. Mike Shopping, best from about 16.30 on. It is so obvious and disgusting what these low lives do to naive and unsuspecting holidaymakers. Having been here 20 + yrs., I feel scamming and cheating has reached a level like never before, especially in tourist areas. There are no further comments needed in regards to this jet-ski rip-off. It is well documented and has gone around the world. People who defend it are either blind, dumb, have no clue, not interested or possibly involved in it. A pity what is becoming of the once beautiful Thailand. MS>

• Like 2

When you are drunk and depressed sitting opposite mike looking around you at the others similiar to yourself what else can you expect to see apart from gloom and doom . You first think pattaya beach starts and stops at mikes . So sad . Get a life open your eyes and you will see there is more to life than bottles of Chang in brown paper bags opposite mikes .

When you are drunk and depressed sitting opposite mike looking around you at the others similiar to yourself what else can you expect to see apart from gloom and doom . You first think pattaya beach starts and stops at mikes . So sad . Get a life open your eyes and you will see there is more to life than bottles of Chang in brown paper bags opposite mikes . Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

5555....I have never had a beer or any alcohol in my life, am not at all depressed or negative and certainly see positives and negatives. I do my daily runs & workouts on the beach and have no intention letting myself down on your level, mate. Are you one with giant pink glasses? Or any other of my adjectives? Have a great Sunday. MS>

• Like 2

pretty much a constant feature at Mikes, a group of young european tourists just getting robbed, a large crowd watching from the new balcony and taking photos, the fat policeman with the slicked back hair always arrives,to help it along and collect his share, hes probably a family member I guess, the yabba guy is pretty up tight and hoping he gets his fix quick but its going down to the police station because the europeans cant understand why they are being lied to. thats a few more tourists who wont be back again

Edited by phycokiller
  • Like 2

Did you see pi2005ni and Peter cool there?

Impossible since they are one and the same and their head is in the sand under the Mafias toes.

Its very easy for our police volunteer to sign up a new TV account with his new

I Pad. Why does the newbie always defend p-cool in every post?

• Like 1

Did you see pi2005ni and Peter cool there?

Impossible since they are one and the same and their head is in the sand under the Mafias toes.

Its very easy for our police volunteer to sign up a new TV account with his new

I Pad. Why does the newbie always defend p-cool in every post?

pini's just trolling, try the ignore thingy up the top right corner, makes the site much more pleasent

• Like 1

You said it buddy!!!!!!

The scanners operate under the total protection of Soi 9.

It goes higher than Soi 9. Much, much higher.

• Like 1

You have all got it so wrong but however it is getting boring as you don't seem to understand what is being said in my posts. I will just let you all get on with your grumble .

You have all got it so wrong but however it is getting boring as you don't seem to understand what is being said in my posts. I will just let you all get on with your grumble . Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you'll get over it, maybe a walk along the beach will cheer you up

• Like 2

Anyone...I repeat...Anyone who says that there are no jet ski scams on this forum is a liar, a thief and is a useless human being.

Shame on you! If you are posting just for attention you really need a doctors help.

We know you are totally full of shiiiiiiit.

It only takes a simple walk down beach road and there is the proof.

• Like 2

pretty much a constant feature at Mikes, a group of young european tourists just getting robbed, a large crowd watching from the new balcony and taking photos, the fat policeman with the slicked back hair always arrives,to help it along and collect his share, hes probably a family member I guess, the yabba guy is pretty up tight and hoping he gets his fix quick but its going down to the police station because the europeans cant understand why they are being lied to. thats a few more tourists who wont be back again

In this day & time with the internet I just do not understand how there can be a seemingly never ending supply of ignorant ,oblivious tourists in the world. Maybe in the case of non-English speaking foreigners. But all the others ?

In this day & time with the internet I just do not understand how there can be a seemingly never ending supply of ignorant ,oblivious tourists in the world. Maybe in the case of non-English speaking foreigners. But all the others ?

I think part of the problem is calling it a "scam". That conjures up images of a genteel con game, a battle of wits where it's possible to outmaneuver your adversary with your worldly savvy and the help of local law enforcement.

If they called it the brutal jet ski extortion with knives and clubs, perhaps it would be taken more seriously.

Plus, for every 10 victims of the scam, there's always one guy who says, "come on in, the water's fine". And they look like sooooo much fun to someone who just arrived from an urban jungle where it's freezing back home.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1