PM's Office Minister says rice farmers will be paid January 15

webfact

Jesus Christ! Another lie. But these people will vote for the Thaksin/Barbie rabble- led propaganda machine again and again and again and again.

Don't be so sure. Around these parts the farmers (like farmers the world over) know three things. One - the cost of production. Two - the price they sell at. Three - their profit margin.

At the moment the rice farmers are getting, cash in hand, less than the price of production. Red shirt/Yellow shirt whatever , their return in investment is what counts and they aren't happy at all.

In my neck of the woods they want to hang someone and its not a man. BTW it doesn't get any redder than where I live.10 weeks now..

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ! Another lie. But these people will vote for the Thaksin/Barbie rabble- led propaganda machine again and again and again and again.

Don't be so sure. Around these parts the farmers (like farmers the world over) know three things. One - the cost of production. Two - the price they sell at. Three - their profit margin.

At the moment the rice farmers are getting, cash in hand, less than the price of production. Red shirt/Yellow shirt whatever , their return in investment is what counts and they aren't happy at all.

I should add , with a reference to Ronnie about trickle down economics, is in effect too. The BIL owns a rice harvester, he hasn't been paid for cutting the rice of other farmers, he can't pay his fuel bill, can't pay the mechanic who services the harvester etc and the story goes on. A lot of pissed off people in Isaan with a promise to pay certificate in their hand from the Government that the Banks won't accept.

• Like 1

What a mess any new government will

hsve to sort.but actually the country is ungovernable in its current structure,On a march backwards to 3rd world status

Hatched a plan to produce huge stock piles of rice that no one wants . Costing billions and will have to borrow billions to pay the producers because you havent been able to sell it,you couldnt make it up, except economic ruin is the result and the tax payers will be paying for it for donkeys years

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kingalfred

It's clear that conspiracy theories are cheaper and dirtier than farmer's rice. I hope all ends well for the farmers to get all their payments and the rice scheme can evolve into a practical means for farmers to garner more its value so they can increase their standard of living.

Are they aware that the current situation is a direct, and utterly predictable (and predicted) outcome of the Rice SchemeTM?, and if so, has that made something in their heads click so as to be more wary or unreceptive for other such blatant vote buying schemes in the future (regardles of which party it may come from)?

It's clear that conspiracy theories are cheaper and dirtier than farmer's rice. I hope all ends well for the farmers to get all their payments and the rice scheme can evolve into a practical means for farmers to garner more its value so they can increase their standard of living.

I hope all the Miss Thailand contestants will dance naked at my next birthday party, but that won't happen either.

Do you have any suggestion for making a silk purse from a sow's ear?

The Question is why haven't the rice farmers been paid , why do you have to wait till the farmers are blocking roads and protesting , you promised something that you cannot provide , The People Talk Party has sounded off again ,can't wait for those election promises.bah.gif

• Like 1

Can they make promises like this, when they're only 'caretakers'???

The parliament had passed the bill to pay the farmers, so this can be paid, the question is why haven't they been paid . money should have been allocated , where has it gone???

Before parliament was dissolved there should have been provision made for all the spending that needed to be done within the 60 days of a caretaker Govt for they knew, or should have known the rules governing a caretaker Govt..

That this was not done shows a lamentable lack of forethought.

That lack of planning has now led to the situation we have now.

I'd like to see a 'sea change' away from sole dependancy on rice. Rice farming has many drawbacks, here are a few:

>>> Need gargantuan amounts of water

>>> destroys habititat (that one's a giggle for Thais, because streams have been filled in for centuries)

>>> Needs tons of fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides - often over-applied. I walk around Thai rice fields which look like WW I landscapes: nothing green, no birds, no reptiles, .....nothing but brown clay with black highlights. "Thailand: the Hub for Environmental insensitivity"

>>> Rice pays low and requires many hours of labor.

Better crop: hemp (happily grown in China and dozens of other countries), fruits, nuts. I could make a list as long as my arm - of better crops for Thai farmers. Crops with higher value, less chemicals, less labor, etc. etc. Don't expect any 'sea change' soon, as Thais are renown for not being able to think outside the box.