Thai Airways denies bankruptcy rumors

webfact

Thai airways is on the edge of bankruptcy for years now , I just came back from abroad 2 days ago in biz with TG , awful service , lousy food and staff over 50yo looking bored .... No wonder they have issues ....I prefer not to mention the food and the terrible seat and arriving at suvharnablabla airport after 11h flight discharged in a bus .... the corruption at TG is very well know for the last 2 decades ...

Your post fits with information a got a while ago.

At FRA and LHR TG has to pay for the fuel on the spot. No credit!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know when the flights were going direct to USA, it was almost expected that the entire business and first class sections were filled with government and civil servants, none of whom were paying for the tickets.

With such rampant government interference its not surprising that not only does it drive the Thai Airways workers crazy, but also has a massive effect on the profits. Naturally, the CEO and the board need to be compliant and complicit, otherwise the scheme doesn't work.....also massive skim in the purchase of the plans as well allegedly.

TG never had First Class on their flights to the US. Neither Los Angeles nor New York. The later was discontinued long ago. That was the time when a member of the Royal Family finished her/his university education near NY.

But they had indded a Premium Economy........

Thai airways is on the edge of bankruptcy for years now , I just came back from abroad 2 days ago in biz with TG , awful service , lousy food and staff over 50yo looking bored .... No wonder they have issues ....I prefer not to mention the food and the terrible seat and arriving at suvharnablabla airport after 11h flight discharged in a bus .... the corruption at TG is very well know for the last 2 decades ...

I've never flown Thai international but their domestic flights from Bangkok to Khon Kaen are pretty good with new planes. Expensive though.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with Air Asia? Thai fly's ancient A300-600's into KKC

Try booking a seat with a change of plane, for example, Phuket to London. The system unlike Singapore Airlines is not programmed to route the flight change. Well these days with some of the competition doing so it should but if you select Multi-City (which it is not if you are in transit) it will show all the flight however when I try and book Phuket to London at the fourth flight it always shows no flight available. I rang an agent and she said the dates are booked. I tired several times over the next few months and always the same but did offer me for about 102,000Baht. Last time I flew to London with Thai the seat was so stained I said I won't sit on it (it looked like urine) the attendant looked at me as though I was mad. I said I am not paying 60,000Baht to sit on a wet seat for 12 hours. If you book some domestic seats it says flight are operated by Smile from 2012, this is over a year ago and no one has taken it down. I won't be bothering with them again. Singapore Airlines A380 to London with Silk to Singapore. As I have given Thai Airways great feedback on how to improve their multi-flight system I hope to receive a free round the world ticket for myself and the girlfriend. Well it's free for me to be delusional.

Edited by FiestyFarang

Over 30 years of flying in and out of Asia and up until the late 80's TA was a viable choice. Over the past 3 decades nearly every single component that quantifies a good airline has deteriorated through poor management ,greed and corruption. As the National carrier, it is a disgrace and fails it's fare paying customers in so many ways that people simply choose to fly with companies that they get a perception of value, and on external flights that certainly is not TA.

I've never flown Thai international but their domestic flights from Bangkok to Khon Kaen are pretty good with new planes. Expensive though.

Thai Smile from Udon to BKK are very high priced, at 2850 baht one way------ same plane as Air Asia 1500 baht no promotion. A poster said why ???

Monopoly that's why, I used to fly A Asia to Swampy now it takes me to D Muang. Thai smile Budget airline believe it or not was not told with other budget airlines all D muang.. it flies into Swampy to get all international passengers--hence the price-no competition. Budget at near 3000 baht one way. JOKE

I totally agree but I use Bangkok Airways as they go to swampy and ARE EXCELLENT and leaves others EVEN INTERNATIONAL carriers... FOR DEAD

I have to use Thai for BKK - MEL Australia routes as it goes in the day which I prefer. Others take me overnight. GRRRR But I do find booking DIRECT with thai for International is OK on the fares TO OZ but NOT europe

• Like 1

All of the international flights I have flown with Thai for business have been in First or Business, and their fares for these classes are very competitive compared with Singapore, Qantas and Cathay in to and out of Australia. Its often difficult to get a business class fare out of Brisbane to BKK. Thai have much better connections flying to Hong Kong, Taipei and Seoul idf this is where you need to go.

Obviously I don't know what other passengers pay, but about 80% of first and business class passengers on Australian flights are westeners - not Thai.

I fly economy between BKK and Udon Thani - now with Thai Smile - the aircraft re new A320s - very pleasant staff good service. I must admit using TG on this service because I am a Star alliance gold Member - and can check in fast and use the lounges.

I still prefer to travel with Singapore if they have the most convenient connections - but need to pay more. It get back to better service if you pay more money - the same with any thing else you pay for.

I used to fly Thai when I working and could afford the premium cabins, once when I was flying first class I was the only passenger flying in that class, I was presented with a lavish menu, but when I ordered my choice of meal I was advised that they had run out, just about summed them up in my view.

Sorry there were a mistake.

The Flag carrirer Thai, have lost their passengers as they have increased the price to much.

I fly regularely between Europe and Asia and have make around 100 turn around the world.

Are even professional pilote with 35 year of flying behind me, commercial and in bussiness plane.

Thai have first not the service as they have for 10 to 15 year ago, when i fly every 2 months BKK -FRA OR PAR.

Even BKK - PEK EVERY MONTH.

Before 2000 - maybe 2005 there were still service and younger stuvardesses, who were engaged in their work, and always helpful and nice to the customer.

Don,t even speak about the upgrade, for us Gold card holder.

Don,t know how many times I have spent on " the upper deck " upgraded.

Even aroung 10 free tickets BKK- FRA- BKK, I have get thru the year.

But NOT anylonger.

I even loos many flight trip, for my points I have get thru the year, as Thai don,t even send me a new Royal Orchid Plus card, since 3 or 4 year back.

Can now recommend Turkish Airlines, who still have the service and friendly attitude.

Don,t even speak about milage statement, they sens every months statements by e mail.

Up to date I have loosed at least 5 return tickets, thanks to Thai !

Very bad for the Thai Airlines, once educated of the Swedish flag carrier Scandinavian, but this were 20 year ago, or more.

They learn quickly this time, but alla have now gone of this lession.

I know when the flights were going direct to USA, it was almost expected that the entire business and first class sections were filled with government and civil servants, none of whom were paying for the tickets.

With such rampant government interference its not surprising that not only does it drive the Thai Airways workers crazy, but also has a massive effect on the profits. Naturally, the CEO and the board need to be compliant and complicit, otherwise the scheme doesn't work.....also massive skim in the purchase of the plans as well allegedly.

TG never had First Class on their flights to the US. Neither Los Angeles nor New York. The later was discontinued long ago. That was the time when a member of the Royal Family finished her/his university education near NY.

But they had indded a Premium Economy........

TG did indeed previously have FC from Bkk > LAX because I used to fly that way. I was once bumped from FC to BC on that flight because the head of Bangkok Bank was given (probably free of charge) my FC seat. TG also used to have great flight connections to the USA ... even flying direct to Dallas (refueling in Alaska) .. not to mention that non-stop to NY. Now no non-stops and only to LAX arriving a bit too late to make same day connections to East coast.

I now fly to Vientiane regularly where TG has more or less a monopoly for international passengers making flight connections in Bkk (the only alternative has up until now been Lao Aviation). TG is very expensive for the 55 minute flight (close to US$300 for RT Economy) and planes are old 737s with grossly inadequate overhead luggage space. The food is terrible and frequent flyers who know better on this route refuse the meal .... but I hesitate to complain about the meal because it's only a 55 minute flight. But they should serve some decent snacks or drinks instead of trying to serve a substandard meal on such short flights. 9 out of 10 (maybe 19 out of 20) flights between Bkk and Vte require the long bus ride from the terminal out to the maintenance area. Occasionally the time spent from landing at swampy for taxing to the maintenance area and riding a bus to the terminal and waiting for luggage is longer than the flight itself. There is a usual long long wait for luggage as the baggage handlers also have to make that trip to the maintenance area to remove the baggage and then bring it to the terminal. Maybe in some minds this is good business sense since after all, most passengers coming from other international destinations have no other choice. But now Bangkok Airways is flying the Bkk > Vte > Bkk route so perhaps competition will help Thai pull their head out ... but maybe too late.

Edited by rogerdee123

TG is in a challenging position having to be all things to all people. Increased employee activism, decreasing yields (pricing pressure/lower volume), cargo is down, FX losses - a lot of revenue is derived in foreign currencies, increased employee expenses. Obviously the domestic political situation is impacting bookings/arrivals. At least fuel prices are reasonable, and the weakening baht should help a bit.

Note that their president resigned last month, the rumors being that the board did not welcome his ideas about turning the company around.

Q3/2013 Analyst Briefing: http://thai.listedcompany.com/misc/PRESN/20131127-THAI-AnalystBriefing3Q2013-02.pdf

Resignation of Thai Airways' president no shock as dark skies loom

With high operating costs, Sorajak said in a recent interview with The Nation, THAI cannot survive the fierce competition. He believed the profit margin of 1.5 per cent was too thin to weather the storms, and this highlighted the need for corporate transformation. He envis?aged spinning off business units, keeping only the aviation business.
According to a close aide, this idea did not receive much of a welcome from the THAI board when Sorajak sought their approval last Friday.
"The president has pondered resignation for some time, seeing that his hands are tied. He could not have a say in the route planning or a cost-cutting programme for business units. His time has been devoted to meetings, mostly concerning non-aviation businesses," the source said.
Edited by lomatopo

Have flown Thai from Australia about six times in the past three years, and always happy with the service and meals esp out of BKK,

flew Qantas last month and remembered why I had promised myself never to fly with them again, lousy food and rude and unwelcoming staff,

it was a red eye but would fly Air Asia any time in preference to Qantas economy.

Maybe Thai could look to Air NZ for a plan to turn them around?

Edited by HaroldB

Thai Smile from Udon to BKK are very high priced, at 2850 baht one way------ same plane as Air Asia 1500 baht no promotion. A poster said why ???

Monopoly that's why, I used to fly A Asia to Swampy now it takes me to D Muang. Thai smile Budget airline believe it or not was not told with other budget airlines all D muang.. it flies into Swampy to get all international passengers--hence the price-no competition. Budget at near 3000 baht one way. JOKE

No. You are incorrect.

The higher costs are due in large part to landing fees and the cost of operations. Here's why;

1. The initial landing fees and equipment parking fees at DMK were 30% lower than BKK.

2. In 2012, additional landing fee reductions were extended.

To encourage the move to DMK, all charges were cut by 95% for August and September 2012. From October onwards landing fees, space rental and check-in counter charges will be reduced by 30% for one year, 20% for a second year and 10% for a third year, ending in September 2015.

Remember, these cuts applied to Don Muang’s parking and landing fees which were already 30% lower than those at Suvarnabhumi

3. The use of DMK significantly cut the fuel costs for the airlines. Why? Well, if you have been on a flight you will see that there is no taxiing, no holding patterns and no delays as is the case with BKK. This saves large amounts of fuel which are one of the major costs of airlines.

Here's a more explicit statement form a recent analysis in respect to the savings at DMK, that anyone who has flown into BKK will appreciate;

"benefit from a cut in fuel consumption caused either by being directed into holding pattern while waiting to land at Suvarnabhumi or queuing up on runway approaches during busy periods. Landing delays can add up to one hour to a flight."

And now I have a question. If TG is having problems why are the personnel who have been associated with the airline's management for over 25 years still there? Why are so many air force personnel associated with the operations of what is supposed to be a civilian airline? Why does it seem that TG is a defacto employment agency for Royal Thai Airforce personnel?

If there are problems with key operational divisions, why are these people still with the airline? Maybe these people are nice folks, and maybe they are skilled. However, the usual practice at a troubled company in need of a turnaround is to change the key personnel of the troubled units. It does not look like this has been done.

Mr. Chokchai Panyayong

Senior Executive Vice President, Commercial

Joined THAI since October 27, 1983. Experienced in Business Development and Special Project at Suvarnabhumi Airport including asset management.

e_chokchai.jpg

Mr. Pandit Chanapai

Managing Director, Ground Services Business Unit(Executive Vice President Level) Joined THAI since November 1, 1983. Experienced in Marketing and Sale Management.

e_pandit.jpg

Flt.Lt. Montree Jumrieng

Executive Vice President, Technical Department Joined THAI since October 2, 1988. Experienced in Flight Operation Department and Personnel Management Department.

e_montree.jpg

SQN.LDR.Asdavut Watanangura

Executive Vice President, Operations Support for DD-D Joined THAI since February 4, 1995.Experienced in Flight Operation.

e_asdavut.jpg

Mr. Teerapol ChotichanapibalExecutive Vice President, Strategy and Business Development

Joined THAI since November 1, 1983.Experienced in Commercial and Catering.

e_teerapol.jpg

Mr. Danuj Bunnag

Executive Vice President, Products and Customer Services Joined THAI since August 1, 1988. Experienced in Amadeus System and Marketing.

e_danuj.jpg

Lt. Athisak Padchuenjai

Executive Vice President, Operations Joined THAI since July 1, 1979.Experienced in Flight Operations.

e_athisak.jpg

In case anyone's interested;

Bangkok Airport Landing Fee

There is a landing charge on a fixed charge basis for aircraft of up to 10 tonnes, and a fixed rate plus an increasing rate per tonne for aircraft of 11 – 50 tonnes, 51 – 100 tonnes and over 100 tonnes. Parking is free for the first three hours, with a rate per tonne thereafter applicable for any period of up to 24 hours. There is a simple undifferentiated passenger charge per departing passenger. There is a boarding bridge charge, fixed for aircraft of up to 150 tonnes, 150 – 300 tonnes and over 300 tonnes MTOW. There is a power supply charge per hour for four generic aircraft size categories (narrow body, wide body, Jumbo and A380). There is a terminal navigation charge calculated by multiplying a unit rate by the square root of the MTOW and a "terminal multiplier" of 0.9.

Edited by geriatrickid

They just gave out huge bonuses to all its staff so while I tend not to believe a word any company says when

they are under financial stress I would have to think they are OK for now. wai.gif

Its kinda weird...the flights i have done from Madrid - Bangkok with Thai Airways Boeing 777-200ER are one of the best ever . Shit with BA previously....will never change TA

I remember one of my buddies even have to tell TA staff to stop asking if he wants food , drinks , etc...We found their service great and i do not even think to fly BKK with other company .

Edited by Wavnarok

No. You are incorrect.

The higher costs are due in large part to landing fees and the cost of operations. Here's why;

1. The initial landing fees and equipment parking fees at DMK were 30% lower than BKK.

2. In 2012, additional landing fee reductions were extended.

To encourage the move to DMK, all charges were cut by 95% for August and September 2012. From October onwards landing fees, space rental and check-in counter charges will be reduced by 30% for one year, 20% for a second year and 10% for a third year, ending in September 2015.

Remember, these cuts applied to Don Muang’s parking and landing fees which were already 30% lower than those at Suvarnabhumi

3. The use of DMK significantly cut the fuel costs for the airlines. Why? Well, if you have been on a flight you will see that there is no taxiing, no holding patterns and no delays as is the case with BKK. This saves large amounts of fuel which are one of the major costs of airlines.

Here's a more explicit statement form a recent analysis in respect to the savings at DMK, that anyone who has flown into BKK will appreciate;

"benefit from a cut in fuel consumption caused either by being directed into holding pattern while waiting to land at Suvarnabhumi or queuing up on runway approaches during busy periods. Landing delays can add up to one hour to a flight."

And now I have a question. If TG is having problems why are the personnel who have been associated with the airline's management for over 25 years still there? Why are so many air force personnel associated with the operations of what is supposed to be a civilian airline? Why does it seem that TG is a defacto employment agency for Royal Thai Airforce personnel?

If there are problems with key operational divisions, why are these people still with the airline? Maybe these people are nice folks, and maybe they are skilled. However, the usual practice at a troubled company in need of a turnaround is to change the key personnel of the troubled units. It does not look like this has been done.

Mr. Chokchai Panyayong

Senior Executive Vice President, Commercial

Joined THAI since October 27, 1983. Experienced in Business Development and Special Project at Suvarnabhumi Airport including asset management.

e_chokchai.jpg

Mr. Pandit Chanapai

Managing Director, Ground Services Business Unit(Executive Vice President Level) Joined THAI since November 1, 1983. Experienced in Marketing and Sale Management.

e_pandit.jpg

Flt.Lt. Montree Jumrieng

Executive Vice President, Technical Department Joined THAI since October 2, 1988. Experienced in Flight Operation Department and Personnel Management Department.

e_montree.jpg

SQN.LDR.Asdavut Watanangura

Executive Vice President, Operations Support for DD-D Joined THAI since February 4, 1995.Experienced in Flight Operation.

e_asdavut.jpg

Mr. Teerapol ChotichanapibalExecutive Vice President, Strategy and Business Development

Joined THAI since November 1, 1983.Experienced in Commercial and Catering.

e_teerapol.jpg

Mr. Danuj Bunnag

Executive Vice President, Products and Customer Services Joined THAI since August 1, 1988. Experienced in Amadeus System and Marketing.

e_danuj.jpg

Lt. Athisak Padchuenjai

Executive Vice President, Operations Joined THAI since July 1, 1979.Experienced in Flight Operations.

e_athisak.jpg

In case anyone's interested;

Bangkok Airport Landing Fee

There is a landing charge on a fixed charge basis for aircraft of up to 10 tonnes, and a fixed rate plus an increasing rate per tonne for aircraft of 11 – 50 tonnes, 51 – 100 tonnes and over 100 tonnes. Parking is free for the first three hours, with a rate per tonne thereafter applicable for any period of up to 24 hours. There is a simple undifferentiated passenger charge per departing passenger. There is a boarding bridge charge, fixed for aircraft of up to 150 tonnes, 150 – 300 tonnes and over 300 tonnes MTOW. There is a power supply charge per hour for four generic aircraft size categories (narrow body, wide body, Jumbo and A380). There is a terminal navigation charge calculated by multiplying a unit rate by the square root of the MTOW and a "terminal multiplier" of 0.9.

Smile approx. income from 200 persons=600,000 Baht.--to BKK from Udon

Air Asia ::::: income from 200 persons=200,000 Baht-to DM from Udon.

Smile need 400,000 baht to cover extra charges ??? BS##T

I thought that All domestic airlines-routes Budget were moved to DM.

You see Nok 50% Thai are competing against Air Asia. Udon DM.

Thai using smile runs a monopoly to BKK--nice move Thai-Government---this started after AAsia moved to DM

I long for the day AAsia get the UK go ahead from DM so as there is no switching airports. Then Thai will have to re think.

Some pretty impressive stats more like an epicwink.png thanks for them.

As 90 odd percent of ex Thai passengers on forum here have pointed out, still many planes outdated-cabin crew-food- and all the deadwood big wigs on these boards, extra high amount of VIP free bees, I was a regular over years until I said sod the air miles perks. Now EVA-Emirates-Etihad. most of my friends Turkish.

We need one or two Big named carriers to fly out of DM to Europe. is someone stopping this ??? London has 5 airports why not utilize DM. Gatwick and Stanstead. do ok.

Last time I flew Thai Air it was very expensive and the plane was rather old. Let's

just say I won't be booking any flights with pre paid tickets in case it goes belly up.

Well if people start to think like that, you may as well kiss goodbye to the airline.

It would only take a few percent of customers to decide to do what you do, and their cash flow would fall through the floor, and then it really would be goodnight.

The competition is blowing THAI out of the water at least as far as economy class is concerned. This has being going on for years now.

• Like 1

Everywhere I look in Pattaya Thailand prices increase to compensate falling revenues. This seems to work in the short term. One thing is for sure I will never buy an overpriced ticket to fly with Thai Airlines. So when will Thailand's bubble of spiralling price increases finally burst. If the airlines go bust it's serves them right for embarking on a greed strategy where there is competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Karma. They sacked the one person who was doing a good job, i.e. the last President - he was trying to stop the corruption and perks but the Board staged a coup.

Old uncomfortable planes, expensive, patchy service, questions about safety. Thats why I fly Eva, also I can get an Eva premium economy seat for only slightly more wedge than the thai economy price.

Its kinda weird...the flights i have done from Madrid - Bangkok with Thai Airways Boeing 777-200ER are one of the best ever . Shit with BA previously....will never change TA

I remember one of my buddies even have to tell TA staff to stop asking if he wants food , drinks , etc...We found their service great and i do not even think to fly BKK with other company .

Fine on 1 or 2 routes with leased aircraft, 777 er are nice, but talking re Thai Airways on many routes crap old planes. the topic is bankruptcy, majority of posters giving negative comments must not be using the Madrid service. the running of the company like some planes needs a refurbish or privatization.

The trip I took to Hong Kong right after the 2011 election, everyone around us was on free tickets, they were all the upcountry 'or bor dtor' and kamnans who had delivered the votes asked. Some had not travelled abroad before and seemed extremely excited, I guess I would be too. It looked like we were boarding a bus going to Nakhon Nowhere. Never seen the booze cabinet cleaned out so quickly.....at about 8am in the morning.

All adds up to a (IMHO) great airline with massive potential, absolutely hamstrung by its owners who cannot keep their hands out of the till.

And when you hear rumours of the low cost airlines not having to provide any real benefits to the civil service/government officials....and their ownership...and their access to the airports....then it really makes you realise the blatant greed of some of the oligarchs of Thailand (even those living abroad).

Added to what you have written, after a quick look at their 3rd quarter numbers, it looks like they need to get a better handle on their personnel expenses. They are attributing the increase to OT and outsourcing expenses due to a shortage of employees, while the head of their union was quoted this week as saying some of their senior management has very high salaries. Something to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Having a national carrier is a matter of pride. Letting that carrier go into bankruptcy can seriously damage that pride.... especially in a country where it is as ridiculously as important as it is in Thailand. Ergo, it will not be allowed to happen.

True. Then again they are slightly short on cash as the "infrastructure"- fund raiser didn't fly, have to come up with a new one ... how about a space-program, first touchdown on the sun ...