Fat shaming rhetoric on this forum has gotten out of hand

Jingthing

If shaming someone worked psychologist would be using it to help their patients.

I am a medical disabled retired marine who obese. I am trying very hard to drop the weight. The person who claimed the usa does not shame fat people is completely wrong. Walk in my shoes. A month ago a classmate brought donuts and looked at me and said "big guy make sure you only get one". I wanted to punch him in the face.

Stop pointing out I am fat as if that is going to help me. The most weight I have lost is after creating weightloss blog and getting encouragement(support).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how most of the responses here have anything to do with the problem I tried to shed some attention on. Or don't agree that it IS a problem. That's OK. If the majority like the forum to remain in this kind of tone, up to y'all. Obviously, I don't agree, but I get it, nobody is forcing me to read it or post here.

I agree that shaming in a hard way is bad, but as my article shows and as how others think its also not good to act like its perfectly normal and looking for the blame somewhere else.

Its great that research wants to help but on the other hand the defeatism and acceptance of obese people is not good either. They don't need to be burned to the ground but with the same token they need to be reminded that they need to do something about themselves and not wait for a third party to rescue them.

I was a spectacled boy with higher intelligence as the others in my class liked reading books. I was at the receiving end of abuse for a while as it was not good to like learning or get good grades. I was also a bit heavier set then others (no belly or fat like the current kids) Ill try to find some pics. So i know all about cruelty. I still feel that its not good to ignore a problem and act like its not there. Obese people are accepting it more and more as it gets more normal and the more they read its not them to blame.

That article said a good thing, if you got a lower metabolism it does not mean your destined to be fat just eat a bit less. It would be great if there was a pill for everything but up until that day you need to help yourself.

That said remarks like fat pig are totally over the top.

And guys should be happy they are guys.. fat girls have it much harder.

Edited by robblok

@JT compassionate is one thing but sometimes people need a kick in the but and a wake up call. I am not saying shaming helps I am saying that different strategies for different people. I for one rather have a good kick in the but then to be told everything is ok and I am doing the best I can and this is what will always be.

Some people need a shoulder / some need a kick. The problem is who needs what.

And some people keep asking for a shoulder but take zero accountability for their own situation ... kind of "Attention Sucker".

I have seen this for weight, fitness, alcohol, procastination behavior ... or food.

I see this in the virtual group where I contribute (15 people), who all would benefit of more exercices, and for some, regulate their appetite.

Oh, it's all very friendly, polite and supportive ...

Whatever you do to help, some people will just keep carry on with their own destructive behaviors and will continue to blame the world for it.

Unless they develop some form of Personal Accountability ... no way they are going to change.

"You can lead a horse to water (but you can't make him/it drink)"

“Change happens when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change.” ... so, is it painful enought?
  • Like 2

Just an other remark.. first of I am against real shaming.

Have people noticed how obese / fat Thai guys outnumber the girls ? Girls know its hard for them to get a partner if they are obese. Guys prefer slim girls, mothers teach this to their children and the pressure is on them much more to stay slim. Guess what it works.

Now if obese guys could not get girls im pretty sure a lot would be much more motivated. Many guys come here for the easier girls because back home they can't get what they want because they are not desirable enough.

Just saying that some kind of pressure helps.

As singa traz says.. change only happens if your not happy with the situation if nobody gives you a kick in the but and all say its fine no change will happen. That said change should come from inside and not because you want to please someone.

But this is of course totally different from calling people fat pigs. That is destructive.

• Like 1

@JT compassionate is one thing but sometimes people need a kick in the but and a wake up call. I am not saying shaming helps I am saying that different strategies for different people. I for one rather have a good kick in the but then to be told everything is ok and I am doing the best I can and this is what will always be.

Some people need a shoulder / some need a kick. The problem is who needs what.

And some people keep asking for a shoulder but take zero accountability for their own situation ... kind of "Attention Sucker".

I have seen this for weight, fitness, alcohol, procastination behavior ... or food.

I see this in the virtual group where I contribute (15 people), who all would benefit of more exercices, and for some, regulate their appetite.

Oh, it's all very friendly, polite and supportive ...

Whatever you do to help, some people will just keep carry on with their own destructive behaviors and will continue to blame the world for it.

Unless they develop some form of Personal Accountability ... no way they are going to change.

"You can lead a horse to water (but you can't make him/it drink)"

“Change happens when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change.” ... so, is it painful enought?

Those are actually the only kinds of people that i dislike the ones you are describing. I could not care less if someone is overweight but the ones asking for help and not accepting any kind of accountability those get to me.

Happy overweight guys.. let them be their life they made other choices as me maybe better choices. They can go to a bar every week and down loads of beer.. i can't because i know where it leads too. Everyone should make their own choices. But if said guys start complaining about their weight but will not give up drinking....

I don't see how most of the responses here have anything to do with the problem I tried to shed some attention on. Or don't agree that it IS a problem. That's OK. If the majority like the forum to remain in this kind of tone, up to y'all. Obviously, I don't agree, but I get it, nobody is forcing me to read it or post here.

I am sure and I I know some members who would like to post here , but what for .To be called fat and to tell them to do something about it , I have not seen one helping hand to really help . Showbags lost 5 kilos and no one thought nothing about his achievement. Well alot of FAT people as you all call us maybe they need someone to help us and to encouragement us and make us feel that someone cares .

Sure some people can say I did it , so why cant you... Well what about an alcoholic , they need help and they go to AA and people there do not say , heh are you still drinking you drunk?Or weight watches , if you go there people encourage you and if you put on weight they all get behind you and talk to you .

well done jingthing as you understand ... Most people do not know why some get FAT or how they did maybe though a injury or maybe being in a wheelchair or any other serious problems . They just judge and call overweight people FAT!!!

NOW THE INSULTS WILL COME

Edited by kevvy

I am sure and I I know some members who would like to post here , but what for .To be called fat and to tell them to do something about it , I have not seen one helping hand to really help . Showbags lost 5 kilos and no one thought nothing about his achievement. Well alot of FAT people as you all call us maybe they need someone to help us and to encouragement us and make us feel that someone cares .

Sure some people can say I did it , so why cant you... Well what about an alcoholic , they need help and they go to AA and people there do not say , heh are you still drinking you drunk?Or weight watches , if you go there people encourage you and if you put on weight they all get behind you and talk to you .

well done jingthing as you understand ... Most people do not know why some get FAT or how they did maybe though a injury or maybe being in a wheelchair or any other serious problems . They just judge and call overweight people FAT!!!

Every kg lost is one and an achievement. Some take a long time to achieve a bit others don't. 5 kg can be quite a lot depending on how much you need to loose.

If you are obese fat however you want to call it.. you don't need to do a thing as long as it does not endanger your health and you don't mind it yourself. Nobody can push you to do something about it unless they are paying your health bills (not going to happen in Thailand). Its a bit different in a welfare state where obese people are expensive (others too)

If someone is in a wheelchair or has an injury it could lead to him / her getting fat if he / she does not factor it in. Many people stopping after an active sports carrier can get fat too if they don't cut back on what they eat. It does not have to be like this but it certainly could. I for one can really understand it for people in a wheelchair. The only thing i never seem to understand is that you don't get obese overnight.. when is it enough. You will have to buy bigger jeans and such. So its not something that just happens.

I went from 40 to 32 in size jeans (34 depending on make), i remember that the fatter i got the worse i felt the lower my self esteem became. Refusing to get my picture taken.. hating the moonshaped face ect ect. So i guess most of us notice it and will have to decide to change it. To change it you really need to put in some effort.

There's a great difference between good natured jabs and abuse.

I always say that a friend is someone who will tell you what you need to hear, but don't want to hear. Truth is that most people won't say something that can hurt your feelings because they don't care enough about you to risk that confrontation.

Do you want to lose weight or do you want to feel less bad about being overweight?

Tough love is exactly the right medicine for this kind of situation. Lose those first few pounds and then you will always find people cheer you on and give you support.

I don't condone people calling others fat pig or other insults and I don't think I've seen it much on here either.

• Like 2

I will have to disagree with you on this one. Since I started reporting and updating my weight loss, a few people have actually posted encouraging/positive comments, and while this is always welcomed, this was not my main objective.

For me, the objective to post progress, is to have a third party to be accountable to, be a person, a group of friends, or anonymous forum members. It helps me to keep on track the program, as I have, implicitly, an agreement / a contract with the group.

Yes, Obese/Overweight people ought to do something about their condition. Call me old fashion, but I'm more an adept to the "tought love" method, especially when I'm reading "I can't do it, it's too hard for me" type of post.

The posts, which are labelled as "Shaming Fat People" with really harsh wordings, are really a tiny minority of post. Ignore those.

In your other post, you mentioned you love/can cook ... a skill that can really be useful, as you can directly control the quality of your food in take.

As for reporting your weight lost progress, do it more frequently than once a month, it's too much delay between two updates.

Even better, is to also report on your activities that drive your weight loss, wether it is physical activities or better control of food in-take. Those are important leading indicators.

• Like 1

I will have to disagree with you on this one. Since I started reporting and updating my weight loss, a few people have actually posted encouraging/positive comments, and while this is always welcomed, this was not my main objective.

For me, the objective to post progress, is to have a third party to be accountable to, be a person, a group of friends, or anonymous forum members. It helps me to keep on track the program, as I have, implicitly, an agreement / a contract with the group.

Yes, Obese/Overweight people ought to do something about their condition. Call me old fashion, but I'm more an adept to the "tought love" method, especially when I'm reading "I can't do it, it's too hard for me" type of post.

The posts, which are labelled as "Shaming Fat People" with really harsh wordings, are really a tiny minority of post. Ignore those.

In your other post, you mentioned you love/can cook ... a skill that can really be useful, as you can directly control the quality of your food in take.

As for reporting your weight lost progress, do it more frequently than once a month, it's too much delay between two updates.

Even better, is to also report on your activities that drive your weight loss, wether it is physical activities or better control of food in-take. Those are important leading indicators.

Like you posting my progress really helped.. now this site is helping me stay motivated. Loosing the weight is half the battle.. thinking you can do what you want once you lost it..... not really.. its an ongoing battle.

Maybe people will see me as negative at times it is because i was raised that I am in control of my destiny. I was taught that with hard work and determination you can do a lot.

So when I see people saying I can't because of my genes or because of this / that i respond strongly to that.

I refuse to believe that weight control is outside the possibilities of 95% of the people. I do believe we metabolize foods at different rates but that does not mean we should give up if life handed us a raw deal.

Mainly those who metabolize food slower they can build more muscles. I had a hard time loosing fat but muscles is easier. I have friends who had a hard time getting muscles but loosing fat was easy. But even so we can all loose fat if we really want it and commit ourselves too it. Not drinking that beer or not taking sugar helps a lot.

Nobody ever said it was easy.. but impossible it is not.

I don't see how most of the responses here have anything to do with the problem I tried to shed some attention on.

I don't either.

If the majority like the forum to remain in this kind of tone, up to y'all.

They probably will because the majority are, and must continue to be, firm believers in calories in/calories out.

It follows from calories in/calories out that your being overweight must be because of one or both of the ancient sins of Gluttony and Sloth. If you're overweight yet quite active, you must be guilty of Gluttony. If you're overweight yet eat only as much as a slim person and aren't very active, you must be guilty of Sloth.

It's just SUCH a convenient explanation that the credulous and the simple-minded can look no farther. Hence, moral condemnation for the Sins is impossible to resist on THIS forum anyway. It just feels so good!

Me, I haven't contributed to that problem, and have tried to be helpful, as I don't follow the carbs in/carbs out theory but rather low carb. One can in fact lose weight without exercising much and without going hungry. Moral condemnation can't enter into it. The important aspect is then mainly education. But it's quite hard to get through the barrage of misinformation and popular carbs in/out rhetoric.

I don't see how most of the responses here have anything to do with the problem I tried to shed some attention on.

I don't either.

If the majority like the forum to remain in this kind of tone, up to y'all.

They probably will because the majority are, and must continue to be, firm believers in calories in/calories out.

It follows from calories in/calories out that your being overweight must be because of one or both of the ancient sins of Gluttony and Sloth. If you're overweight yet quite active, you must be guilty of Gluttony. If you're overweight yet eat only as much as a slim person and aren't very active, you must be guilty of Sloth.

It's just SUCH a convenient explanation that the credulous and the simple-minded can look no farther. Hence, moral condemnation for the Sins is impossible to resist on THIS forum anyway. It just feels so good!

Me, I haven't contributed to that problem, and have tried to be helpful, as I don't follow the carbs in/carbs out theory but rather low carb. One can in fact lose weight without exercising much and without going hungry. Moral condemnation can't enter into it. The important aspect is then mainly education. But it's quite hard to get through the barrage of misinformation and popular carbs in/out rhetoric.

oh please... tired of the same old B.S.

Low carb might work but it still requires action.. to change something.. to take control. Just like with everything else. I dare you to experiment with me to eat loads of fat and protein excess of 3000 calories a day and stay lean. Acting like it means you can eat all you want and the whole energy expenditure equation goes out of the window is B.S.

It is better for you but does not invalidate the fact that you can eat too much low carb too and get fat. I tried it I could gain weight on low carb. Low carb works good if your insulin sensitive and by going low carb you cut out sugars (you can do that with normal carb too) and that is healthy. So while i agree that if your eating refined sugars you screw up your whole system and it effects the energy balance negatively. A normal moderate carb without sugars would do the same thing as low carb. Plus you can gain weight on low carb if you eat enough.

I am not a believer in the carbs in carbs out theory as I have stated many times there are far too many variables for this theory to have real credence other than if you go on a starvation diet you will surely lose weight but more than likely you will put more back on later when you revert to normal eating habits.

Everybody is different. So there is no one size fits all. Being obese or overweight might stem from a medical problem that needs to be addressed. It might be lack of education about right foods. Or it might be long held emotional habits that are deeply embedded in the mind and are even not really recognised by the person.

And of course the big one is the ready availability of all sorts of tempting foods on just about every corner in western countries. Foods full of additives, preservatives, sugars, salts, pesticides, herbicides.

Further to this the computer lifestyle where the vast majority of people are no longer involved in active physical jobs like they were in the past. It is all really a recipe for disaster. Physical activity can undo a fair bit of poor diet up to a point but without that physical activity then things spiral out of control very quickly.

ok......Guys....

i decided to go on a different food regime . Dont get me wrong , I ate so many veggies before and I love them ,The problem was when I get sick , I just didnt care anymore as I was on borrowed time . Some times I would come into this forum and just read it. I did not care about my weight .... Last week I started to do it . I cannot walk a long time and cannot do weights. So I changed my eating , now for breakfast I eat dry roasted pumpkin and dry roasted carrots. For lunch I have low fat yogurt.For dinner I have steam veggies , cauli, broccoli, carrots bok choy , onion, zucchini ,

and salad as well. I eat these at different night for dinner with a little bit of protein , chicken , steak, fish duck ,breast (no skin) .This basically what I eat now or will eat . I drink water now as I never was a beer drinker , lucky to drink 2 bottles a month . I will drink 2 cans of coke light each week .

The good news is ........I lost 5.5 kilos in the first 7 days. I know this will drop but I am happy , and I will stick to it . I will report each week on my weight. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Edited by kevvy
  • Like 1

ok......Guys....

i decided to go on a different food regime . Dont get me wrong , I ate so many veggies before and I love them ,The problem was when I get sick , I just didnt care anymore as I was on borrowed time . Some times I would come into this forum and just read it. I did not care about my weight .... Last week I started to do it . I cannot walk a long time and cannot do weights. So I changed my eating , now for breakfast I eat dry roasted pumpkin and dry roasted carrots. For lunch I have low fat yogurt.For dinner I have steam veggies , cauli, broccoli, carrots bok choy , onion, zucchini ,

and salad as well. I eat these at different night for dinner with a little bit of protein , chicken , steak, fish duck ,breast (no skin) .This basically what I eat now or will eat . I drink water now as I never was a beer drinker , lucky to drink 2 bottles a month . I will drink 2 cans of coke light each week .

The good news is ........I lost 5.5 kilos in the first 7 days. I know this will drop but I am happy , and I will stick to it . I will report each week on my weight. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Wow.. that is a load of weight.. must be some water weight too. But great job.

You should do it for yourself and hopefully it will improve your overall health. Could you comment why you cant walk ? Maybe some swimming (for health not weight loss). Its not all about weight but general health too. I don't know what sickness you had but i think you posted about it once.

Good luck.

ok......Guys....

You should do it for yourself and hopefully it will improve your overall health. Could you comment why you cant walk ? Maybe some swimming (for health not weight loss). Its not all about weight but general health too. I don't know what sickness you had but i think you posted about it once.

Good luck.

Thanks. But I think it is not luck , I have to do it . Yes and it will be alot of water as well. I seem to going to the bathroom alot more now since eating all the veggies. My wife is really helping too, she is great., Thanks again RB.

Last year I was fat (90Kg).

I was ill and went to hospital, the doctor said you are ill because you are fat.

Now I am 76Kg, I run up the mountain 3x a week (Doi Suthep)

I am no longer fat, I can eat anything I like and am still losing weight.

I need to eat at least 3-4 KFC upsized meals every week and Pepsi every day to maintain my weight.

If you are fat, you need to increase your exercise until you use all the excess food, or eat a lot less.

It's really easy 90mins of intense exercise 3x a week, and I can eat what I want.

No excuses please.

Sitting around talking and complaining doesn't solve your weight problems.

• Like 1

ok......Guys....

Good luck.

Thanks. But I think it is not luck , I have to do it . Yes and it will be alot of water as well. I seem to going to the bathroom alot more now since eating all the veggies. My wife is really helping too, she is great., Thanks again RB.

Of course its not luck its a result of change in habits. It was just a saying.

The best thing is if your wife supports you i presume she can cook. That is real good. I prepare all my food myself (unless i eat out)

ok......Guys....

Good progress. I might suggest substituting a veggie w/ a lower glycemic index for the carrots. Since you're so low carb, you can have Greek full-fat yoghurt, the best yoghurt. smile.png You can also ignore a sacred principle of calories in/calores out and leave the fat/skin on the meat. Doing that would make this diet a lot more pleasant and so help you to stick to it.

Edited by JSixpack

Last year I was fat (90Kg).

I was ill and went to hospital, the doctor said you are ill because you are fat.

Now I am 76Kg, I run up the mountain 3x a week (Doi Suthep)

I am no longer fat, I can eat anything I like and am still losing weight.

I need to eat at least 3-4 KFC upsized meals every week and Pepsi every day to maintain my weight.

If you are fat, you need to increase your exercise until you use all the excess food, or eat a lot less.

It's really easy 90mins of intense exercise 3x a week, and I can eat what I want.

No excuses please.

Sitting around talking and complaining doesn't solve your weight problems.

Great for you.. though its not all about weight.. 3-4 kfc upsized are not that great for the body.

The exercise certainly is good for you. I also do intense exercise but I can't say that i can eat all that I want. I am not hungry or anything but if i really would go for all the bad food like pizzas every day ect id get fat.

Now i maintained my weight for over a year at around 86-87 kg. It might go up a bit again but it will be muscle. I am lean.

But actually I exercise not only for health but also to clear my mind and get some more energy.

No.

Different roads can lead to the same result.... though burning loads of calories requires a lot of exercise.. more as most are willing to do. But going up a hill is fun exercise does not have to be boring.

Great for you.. though its not all about weight.. 3-4 kfc upsized are not that great for the body.

The exercise certainly is good for you. I also do intense exercise but I can't say that i can eat all that I want. I am not hungry or anything but if i really would go for all the bad food like pizzas every day ect id get fat.

Now i maintained my weight for over a year at around 86-87 kg. It might go up a bit again but it will be muscle. I am lean.

But actually I exercise not only for health but also to clear my mind and get some more energy.

Many different theories on eating, one of them suggests without available fatty foods heavy exercise will reduce your muscle mass, which I want to avoid. (50 minutes at 170bpm, 40 mins at 120bpm three to four times a week)

Without the "junk food" I was losing over 1Kg a month, with the "junk" the last month I only lost 200gm.

A couple of the guys I climb with are now around 66Kg, and despite them being 10 years younger than me, I'm now kicking their <deleted>. (we are all within inches of 6')

Yep, the exercise becomes addictive, and we take risks in our attempts to take it further.

Many different theories on eating, one of them suggests without available fatty foods heavy exercise will reduce your muscle mass, which I want to avoid. (50 minutes at 170bpm, 40 mins at 120bpm three to four times a week)

Without the "junk food" I was losing over 1Kg a month, with the "junk" the last month I only lost 200gm.

A couple of the guys I climb with are now around 66Kg, and despite them being 10 years younger than me, I'm now kicking their <deleted>. (we are all within inches of 6')

Yep, the exercise becomes addictive, and we take risks in our attempts to take it further.

There is no problem with fatty foods... but fried foods in transfat like KFC is not healthy.

Reducing muscle mass is also something I don't like and it does not happen.

ok......Guys....

Good luck.

Of course its not luck its a result of change in habits. It was just a saying.

The best thing is if your wife supports you i presume she can cook. That is real good. I prepare all my food myself (unless i eat out)

Sorry but I do all the cooking , every night and day . She is the brains of the marriage. I know you meant well saying good luck , i need to do this and when I do it will be myself to thank and not the luck. Thanks RB

ok......Guys....

Good progress. I might suggest substituting a veggie w/ a lower glycemic index for the carrots. Since you're so low carb, you can have Greek full-fat yoghurt, the best yoghurt. smile.png You can also ignore a sacred principle of calories in/calores out and leave the fat/skin on the meat. Doing that would make this diet a lot more pleasant and so help you to stick to it.

Actually it was the lack of exercise that put the weight on I was still cooking all the great food that I learnt how to cook in my apprenticeship.You know beautiful sauces , butter , flour cream etc etc , and when I got sick I could not do any exercise. So any suggestions will help so much . I need to do this . I actually walked 250 metres today without stopping . I was happy with that . Thanks.