Solar Panels and Solar Powered Pumps- Help with info please

Canada

Hey guys. I want to install several well pumps that are operated solely by solar power. No batteries.

Does anyone have a contact for a company that sells this type of gear in Thailand that speaks english? Or does anyone have any experience with this sort of a set up?

Thanks.

i came across Ping Solar via this forum .... you can find more info on Feesbay.com or look them up on FB under Ping Solar , Kanchanaburi i think is the location , a wealth of Thai based solar info ..goodluck

• Like 1

I was interested when this topic came up a year or so ago. I searched Yahoo and found sources ,but went a different direction. There is a previous thread on this, but it may be in the subforum or in one of the pinned topics

My internet is terrible. I live in the sticks so only have true 3G. Once I have reached my 5 gb limit, it takes 5 mins just to load a page. Chances of watching a video are slim :) But looking at the preview pic, it looks like I'd need something considerably larger than that.

I went to Amorn Electric in Big C yesterday. It took 10 mins just to get someone to help. They didn't really have much to look at for pumps. At least not one that looked like it would perform like I need one to perform. I did get a phone number though of a technician that may be able to help figure things out. I haven't talked to him yet.

I am currently running a 2 hp Mitsubishi pump (submersed). I estimate it's running watts at about 1500, peak start up at about 3000. So I think I'd need 5 PV panels and an inverter that could provide the extra load at start up. I don't know if I'n need the right amount of panels for that extra load at start up or enpough for the running wattage. In any case, it's getting expensive to run this AC pump. I am not sure if you can get DC submersible pumps that will put out 200 ltrs per minute, but that would probably be a better way to go. Anyways, I am generating power for it now and that works a lot cheaper (for now) than spending money on solar gear.

Thanks.

My internet is terrible. I live in the sticks so only have true 3G. Once I have reached my 5 gb limit, it takes 5 mins just to load a page. Chances of watching a video are slim smile.png But looking at the preview pic, it looks like I'd need something considerably larger than that.

I went to Amorn Electric in Big C yesterday. It took 10 mins just to get someone to help. They didn't really have much to look at for pumps. At least not one that looked like it would perform like I need one to perform. I did get a phone number though of a technician that may be able to help figure things out. I haven't talked to him yet.

I am currently running a 2 hp Mitsubishi pump (submersed). I estimate it's running watts at about 1500, peak start up at about 3000. So I think I'd need 5 PV panels and an inverter that could provide the extra load at start up. I don't know if I'n need the right amount of panels for that extra load at start up or enpough for the running wattage. In any case, it's getting expensive to run this AC pump. I am not sure if you can get DC submersible pumps that will put out 200 ltrs per minute, but that would probably be a better way to go. Anyways, I am generating power for it now and that works a lot cheaper (for now) than spending money on solar gear.

Thanks.

an inverter without battery pack storage can't provide any "extra" load. and if you think you can run a 2hp pump connected directly to 5 pv panels (whatever their size) you should reconsider and obtain specific information.

did you take into consideration that you need approximately 20m² of panels to run your pump and that its starting amps are at least triple of the running amps (depending on the pump's depth)?

It will take you about ten years or more to pay for a proper solar pump. They are expensive and require maintenance. You should also have something to cause the panels to track the sun all day to keep the panels aimed directly at the sun.

If it was cheap and easy, everyone would be doing it.

My internet is terrible. I live in the sticks so only have true 3G. Once I have reached my 5 gb limit, it takes 5 mins just to load a page. Chances of watching a video are slim smile.png But looking at the preview pic, it looks like I'd need something considerably larger than that.

Thanks.

an inverter without battery pack storage can't provide any "extra" load. and if you think you can run a 2hp pump connected directly to 5 pv panels (whatever their size) you should reconsider and obtain specific information.

did you take into consideration that you need approximately 20m² of panels to run your pump and that its starting amps are at least triple of the running amps (depending on the pump's depth)?

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for...specific information.

The little bit of research that I've done so far is leading me away from this idea. It's expensive.

It cost me ฿73'000 to get electricity to my farm (best option among others) and i waited a year plus to get approval...almost couldn't get it approve because the former chief in charge was relocated and the new boss was difficult...The contractor and i brainstorm and i got it approved in the end. I have thought of solar application but the whole set up cost for my farm was shocking ! About ฿200'000 ! I decided against it after weighing the pros and cons.

But if there is no way you can get electricity to your remote place, solar cum wind power "2 in 1" is the best option...

It cost me ฿73'000 to get electricity to my farm (best option among others) and i waited a year plus to get approval...almost couldn't get it approve because the former chief in charge was relocated and the new boss was difficult...The contractor and i brainstorm and i got it approved in the end. I have thought of solar application but the whole set up cost for my farm was shocking ! About ฿200'000 ! I decided against it after weighing the pros and cons.

But if there is no way you can get electricity to your remote place, solar cum wind power "2 in 1" is the best option...

Thanks for that. We actually finally got power to the homestead (150,000 baht) but we are trying to irrigate a couple of pieces of land that we are farming that have no access to power. I'm experimenting with a drip irrigation system right now that looks like it could solve a lot of our problems, but we are either generating power for a submersible pump or running a surface pump off a Kubota motor....right now we are able to do 3-4 rai at a time if we are pumping flat or downhill. We've only had it set up for a couple of days, but already we can see that having a solar powered pump would be the way to go if we could swing it.

I think it's pay for itself over time, but I'm not sure how much time. Right now we pay about 250 baht per day to generate power for the pump, plus other costs. How many days a year will we have to do that????? Not sure. Anyways, my little project to think about as I'm going back and forth in the field on my tractor.

Hope your reply to my post wasn't sarcastic. I was traveling at the time with slow internet connection and fading laptop battery so could not look up all the info. Now back at base.

Here is the website of the Khon Kaen shop http://www.iwater.co.th/joomla16/index.php/th/home-2-th

I talked with Khun Phat (he speaks English in case you don't speak Thai).

The estimated cost he gave me 2 years ago was around 330,000 - 340,000 baht depending on options. He did suggest that these costs could be reduced by using other solar panels rather than Grundfos panels which accounted for 230,000 baht of the cost. I have some documents with details of the components and specs but I guess he could give you an updated version.

JB.

Thanks for that JB. Yes my reply had a hint of sarcasm, but not aimed at you.

I'm not in Khon Kaen now and didn't make it to the store. But I'll be there again withing a week or two and I'll try to get there then.

Thanks again.

DR

I would be more concerned about leaving that expensive kit out in the middle of no where. It would be nicked as soon as the word got out about it's worth.

Yeah... we tend to not leave things lying around for the taking.

Solar panels in this country are extortionately priced. How about a petrol driven pump that can be moved when not in use.

Yes, that's what I did; well more or less... I've got a petrol driven generator producing electricity for the submersible pump.

That's what we do. Problem is that it's a heavy job for the motor, and it runs about 200 baht of diesel a day. I'm running a 2 hp pump off of a 5 kw generator driven by a knock off Kubota 13hp 'Golden Bow'....We run it for a couple of months at a time over three different plots. We have other surface pumps as well which is what most of the locals use, but the small wells and the surface pumps aren't as reliable as a larger and deeper borehole. They work... but if solar power were cheaper, I'd rather go with submersible pumps on larger holes.

I know....I shouldn't have cheaped out on the motor, but in my defense, I did buy 2 kubotas as well. The golden bow is still running, but has need warranty work on it already....like a top end.