UK Visitor Visa

Hi Guys,

Been reading this site for a while now while researching obtaining a visitors visa for my girlfriend on her behalf. The help and advice provided by posters such as 7by7 has been more than helpful, although despite my searching I've still a few questions that I'd need some help with, please!

I have a stable income and have been in the same job for over 2 years, however I am overdrawn, but only a small amount which is around half my take home income, so basically it's serviceable - will this effect any sponsorship application?

If the answer is yes, my parents are happy to provide this support, I currently live at home (which they own outright) so accommodation/food etc is no issue and I understand how to detail this.

Now, many people say a letter from a boss granting time off is needed as (one of many) reasons to return to Thailand - one question- my girlfriend is the boss, she owns a hairdressing shop and a bar which younger members of her family run - so will records that the businesses are in her name be ok instead? She also has a daughter (although I know this isn't always seen as a compelling reason) and a house/car/motorbike all in her name so I assume when this is all combined it will be enough of a compelling reason?

She can also provide previous passports which demonstrate she has visited other countries (although not UK) and returned as per requirements which I believe we should also submit?

Thanks for any help in advance

Should be no problem if your account is slightly overdrawn providing, as you say, it's being serviced, it would of course be better if there was evidence that the overdraft is being reduced. The ECO's just need to be satisfied that your sponsorship is affordable.

It would be better if your parents supplied a letter providing brief details of their home indicating that it's suitable and available for available for a visit, there's no need to provide details of home ownership for a short visit.

If your girlfriend has a business then that should suffice, I noted that you say a family member runs it though, are you saying that your girlfriend has no involvement in the running of her business? if so the ECO could reasonably say that it's not really a reason to return. If your girlfriend does run the business but the family member would run it during her holiday then that should be ok, but she needs to detail and evidence that in her application.

Thank you!

She runs one while the other was brought for her family to work in, I guess we could say she oversees it as all the accounts etc are done by her and names on all the paper work.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Just a decide question. If she was sponsoring the trip herself how long would the money need to be in her bank account to make it look legitimate

It won't be my money but a loan repaid by a family member.

And would this situation make the visa easier to be approved?

Whoever is paying for the trip should provide at least 3 months bank records, though 6 months is better.

Sudden, large, unexplained deposits will arouse the ECO's suspicion.

So she should say where the money has come from and why.

If she meets the requirements then her visa should be issued, whether you sponsor her or she sponsor's herself and whether the visit is funded by her, you, a third party or any combination of these.

You may find UK visit visa basics helpful.

Thanks 7by7 I've read the basics and am pretty confident all the bases are covered I won't be applying until my next visit to Thailand in 2 months a

- or is it best to the online in advance of this.

Is there a limit to the combination of sponsors?

The sponsor of a visa application is not someone supplying funds for the visit; they are the person, usually a British citizen or resident, who is supporting the application; the reason for the visit if you like.

This is often just one person, but can be none or many; no limit.

In addition, there is no limit to the number of people supplying funds for the visit. But anyone who is doing so will need to show that they have the necessary funds and that they have a reason for so doing.

As to when she applies; up to her and you. The latest figures (November) show that 98% of general visit visas were issued within 10 working days; but the official guidance says to allow three weeks.

She can request a specific start date up to three months ahead, and the visa will be valid from the day it is issued or the requested date; whichever is the later. However, if she does request a specific start date she cannot then decide to use the visa before that date.

Many thanks 7by7

One last question - with the supporting documentation does it all have to be in thai and English - for example my letter of invitation will obviously be in English but the letter from her sister detailing the money will be in thai so should I translate these into the other language?

Sorry to be a pain!

The official line is that all documents not in English should be accompanied by a translation certified as correct by the bureau which translated it.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that Bangkok does not strictly apply this; but as translations are so cheap in Thailand I'd recommend doing so.