Diamond Ring: Best Place to Buy?

samsara

A good halogen lamp on the cubic zirconia will fool anyone.

And you will find that most non gold digging women will appreciate something home made...from the heart instead of the amount of money you spend.

Mine agreed to silver with teeny tiny diamond because I said gold would get scratched and bent out of shape with all the manual work I do...so we got matching rings from a top place for les than 5k a pair.

The silver is now scratched but still in shape and the diamond still shines bright.

Another result in thailand!

You came to Thailand to buy what ? Thailand is about gold not diamonds.

Where has the OP said that he came to Thailand just to buy diamonds? you can buy diamonds in Thailand just like any other country !

Just you did, not him or me.

So what did you mean by commenting

You came to Thailand to buy what ?

thanks for the suggestions so far.

my gf MUCH prefers diamonds to gold, hence the atypical (for thailand) purchase. imo, gold looks like shit on humans unless theyre from africa or can trace their roots there. no racism intended, just aesthetics.

Thailand culture is based on gold not and never has been diamonds look around you. Can you buy diamonds in Thailand sure but Thais in general do not its gold.This should tell you something about buying precious stones in Thailand.

First you say, thai culture is based on buying gold and not diamonds and then you say " this should tell you something about buying diamonds in Thailand" so what one is it why they don't buy diamonds ?

Anyway educate me, what does it tell me about buying diamonds in Thailand ?

Diamonds suffer huge markups here (and in general everywhere with retail purchasing).. I was quoted 600k on a ring I could have the same size and approx color clarity and cut for 100 - 150k tops at that 'worlds biggest gem store' on san Kampeang rd.

If you want to get your moneys worth only consider a GIA certified stone.. Everything else is subjective and these dealers who self certify are for sure raising the color and clarity by a few notches which makes a huge difference in price.

I have a trustworthy gem dealer in bangkok who mostly does wholesale.. He can supply a stone and custom ring for a fraction of retail pricing. PM if you want to discuss your budget with him.

That its full of scams, lies and ways the uneducated can get taken for a huge costly ride..

Go take a few 100k cost diamond ring into a pawn here and ask them to lend based on it.. They will value that stone at maybe 20 or 30% of retail.. Whereas gold will be 95% etc.

Thats because the markups all through the chain, and the lies told about quality, all lead to a very hazy 'value'.

• Like 1

That its full of scams, lies and ways the uneducated can get taken for a huge costly ride..

Go take a few 100k cost diamond ring into a pawn here and ask them to lend based on it.. They will value that stone at maybe 20 or 30% of retail.. Whereas gold will be 95% etc.

Thats because the markups all through the chain, and the lies told about quality, all lead to a very hazy 'value'.

Thats the same the world over and not unique to Thailand !

• 2 weeks later...

Diamonds suffer huge markups here (and in general everywhere with retail purchasing).. I was quoted 600k on a ring I could have the same size and approx color clarity and cut for 100 - 150k tops at that 'worlds biggest gem store' on san Kampeang rd.

If you want to get your moneys worth only consider a GIA certified stone.. Everything else is subjective and these dealers who self certify are for sure raising the color and clarity by a few notches which makes a huge difference in price.

I have a trustworthy gem dealer in bangkok who mostly does wholesale.. He can supply a stone and custom ring for a fraction of retail pricing. PM if you want to discuss your budget with him.

Are you saying that the big inflated price was at this store that you refer to, and/or that you could get that sort of discount at that store??

Another related subject thread here on Thaivisa, that got 'archived' for some reason. I think I will extract a few quotes from it and put them over here for more discussion.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/205429-diamond-ring/page-2

Although i bought my wife a diamond when we got married, I almost wish that i had spent that money on another sapphire and a few baht worth of gold (which I do buy on occasion and stash away). Diamonds are not a great investment nor are they rare. Companies like De Beers control the market and determine how many diamonds should be on the market at any given time. Unlike gold, diamonds do not increase in value. I have never heard of anyone making money off of a used diamond, even certified ones.
The link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond privided even more gems of information.

"Currently, gem production totals nearly 30 million carats (6,000 kg) of cut and polished stones annually, and over 100 million carats (20,000 kg) of mined diamonds are sold for industrial use each year, as are about 100,000 kg of synthesized diamond."

Six tons of a "gal's best friends", and that doesn't include the amount of rough diamonds that didn't get cut and polished. Common as muck really.

How about buying a cubic zirconion, indistinguishable for all intents and purposes but a lot cheaper?
Edited by boatguy

The beauty of a diamond is how it disperses white light into all colors of the rainbow with a sparkle, from any angle the viewer may be looking at it from. Believe me, people look and they notice, especially other women. Just my own wrong opinion.

Now I'm certainly no expert on diamond jewelry or even any jewelry, but I did have an experience recently buying my wife a diamond marriage ring. Finally picked a 'multiple stoned one' rather than a solitary as I felt it presented so many more facets of reflectivity to 'shine' better than a solitary stone??

So now we were looking at some earrings, and I'm discovering the same thing. The 'multi-stoned ones' , even with much smaller stones just seem more brilliant than the single stone versions.

Is that just my perception....or ??

However, the Russians do make man made diamonds that are so good De-veers has spent millions of £ in developing ways to detect these diamonds. The technology used to made these diamonds is from the defunct nuclear weapon industry.

Anyone know more about this?

my gf MUCH prefers diamonds to gold, hence the atypical (for thailand) purchase. imo, gold looks like shit on humans unless theyre from africa or can trace their roots there. no racism intended, just aesthetics.

GF, hmmmmmm, I'm out a here......Pronto.........w00t.gif

Here is an interesting reference I must read thru

Synthetic Diamonds - the players

http://www.asia-gems.com/diamonds/synthetic-diamonds-players.php

I did notice that one of these synthetic producers was based in Wash DC

http://www.washingtondiamondscorp.com/

I wrote them an email asking,....

"I have this engineering background and have know of synthetic diamonds for years, but just recently began to do a little research. I found your website via this reference on a forum discussion.

http://www.asia-gems.com/diamonds/synthetic-diamonds-players.php

I see that you do not sell to the public, but I have a more basic question for you?? You state that your stones are generally priced 25% less than natural diamonds. BUT aren't natural diamonds marked up in such an inflated manner that it would be difficult to base your pricing on them??"

Edited by boatguy

Your girlfriend obviously knows the resale value then. She's got your number.

rolleyes.gif