Heckler tells Abhisit to 'respect my vote'

webfact

I think the guy has a valid point. When Abhisit became p.m they made consitutional changes, why did he not get stuck into the corruption issues then?

Abhisit actually changed the constitution in a way that makes vote buying more effective (i.e. change from multi-seat to single-seat constituencies). Still difficult to solve corruption issues when you're in a coalition which includes the likes of Suthep, Banharn and Newin.

That's interesting.. He made changes to the consitution that work against him? I find it hard to believe anybody would want a leader capable of such errors in judgement and foresight. Maybe he thinks he can shout CORRUPTION enough times then he'll get elceted or put in place by the military enough times so he can keep trying until he gets it right. Well.. that and the murder charges would make it difficult I would have thought.

'He made changes to the consitution that work against him' - yes, he did, because Newin and Banharn demanded it, thinking it would benefit them against PT. As it was, it didn't seem to make too much of a difference in the 2011 election. Abhisit tried to offset the constituency changes by adding more party list seats, because the Dems and PPP had finished more or less even in 2007. What happened though, was that many people switched their vote from the local party they'd voted in the constituency vote to PT or Dems in the party list. But more people switched to PT than Dems, so in a way that change seemed to end up benefiting PT too.

Single seat constituencies and border changes are nothing really new. In established democracies like the UK it's a regular process which also generates remarks like

"One consequence of boundary reviews is the notional changing of representation of some constituencies where calculations of voting intentions suggest a party other than the victor at the last general election would have been successful had the boundaries been in place"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_changes_for_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2010

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This bloke is spot on. Everyone's vote should be respected. Even the dumb rice farmers from the north. That is how democracy works. It is an unfortunate truth. At least Abhisit is smart enough not to actually verbalise his opposition to democracy as a principle. Unlike Suthep, who really believes that the sycophants he meets on the streets of Bangkok are actually representative of the majority of the population. Suthep and the Dems proposed plutocracy should get the condemnation it deserves.

Please don't refer to Northern people as "dumb rice farmers" My father in law is a rice farmer.He is also an incredible carpenter, mason and craftsman. He is actively involved in charity, and like the rest of the family, doesn't drink, smoke or swear. He has worked HARD all his life...and never had anything handed to him. He has four intelligent children, two of which hold degrees and have good jobs, one owns a successful business and a fourth who worked three jobs to help put her siblings through university (my wife).

Please give the respect that my family and the hard working people of Isaan deserve.

Mate I was being sarcastic. Look at my nom de plum. Ban Dung is an hour's drive from Udon in the the heart of Isaan country. I am sitting in my house next to my father in law's rice farm (it's growing tobacco at this time of year though) as we speak and he is every bit the man you describe. So are my wife's brothers and her sisters. I am speaking in their defence.

Cheers, Steve

Sarcasm is a fine art in the written world. Wit is easier to express in writing because it's a clever use of words that expresses an opinion but lacks the bitter emotive of spite (sarcasm) which is noticeably discernible in speech but not always in writing. It's not for everyone...

Cheers, LD

'He made changes to the consitution that work against him' - yes, he did, because Newin and Banharn demanded it, thinking it would benefit them against PT. As it was, it didn't seem to make too much of a difference in the 2011 election. Abhisit tried to offset the constituency changes by adding more party list seats, because the Dems and PPP had finished more or less even in 2007. What happened though, was that many people switched their vote from the local party they'd voted in the constituency vote to PT or Dems in the party list. But more people switched to PT than Dems, so in a way that change seemed to end up benefiting PT too.

Single seat constituencies and border changes are nothing really new. In established democracies like the UK it's a regular process which also generates remarks like

"One consequence of boundary reviews is the notional changing of representation of some constituencies where calculations of voting intentions suggest a party other than the victor at the last general election would have been successful had the boundaries been in place"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_changes_for_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2010

True. IIRC Thailand moved to single-seat with the 1997 Constitution. The junta changed it back to multi-seat because in theory it makes vote buying harder (easier for smaller parties to compete with bigger parties if the constituency is smaller, and local MPs have more influence over smaller areas). Abhisit changed it back to single seat as part of the deal with Newin and Banharn. I don't really think it has that much effect either way. You could argue about the relative benefits depending on your POV (i.e. for some it's better that the local MP is closer to his constituents, for others it's more likely to encourage, as I say, vote buying, coercion and pork barrel politics - but is the difference that huge? probably not).

"Former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has been heckled by a man who told the former leader to respect his rights to vote."

Abihist is showing any disrespect for this guys right to vote. Did he go to this guys work place and heckle him? Did he deny the guys right to vote?

If this guy was a PTP voter then is was the PTP that disrespected his vote by dissolving parliament before the end of their mandated term.

No, the guy is showing disrespect for Abihist by protesting his right to not participate in an election.

He (and the rest of the majority) voted for the current government which abhisit supports being removed via means other than the ballot box.

Surely you can see that ??

"Former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has been heckled by a man who told the former leader to respect his rights to vote."

Abihist is showing any disrespect for this guys right to vote. Did he go to this guys work place and heckle him? Did he deny the guys right to vote?

If this guy was a PTP voter then is was the PTP that disrespected his vote by dissolving parliament before the end of their mandated term.

No, the guy is showing disrespect for Abihist by protesting his right to not participate in an election.

"No, the guy is showing disrespect for Abihist by protesting his right to not participate in an election"

But you're OK with 200,000 people disrupting 35 million Thais right to vote?

• Like 1

Corruption costs the country Bt300 bn every year, claims Abhisit

Hataikarn Treesuwan

The Nation

30223736-01_big.gif

Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the anti-government People

The Democrat Party yesterday unveiled its anti-corruption proposal as part of its national reform blueprint.

BANGKOK: -- Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said corruption is costing Thailand Bt300 billion per year, or 2 per cent of gross domestic product. With that amount of money, the country could build 30 Parliament Houses, 201 BTS stations, or 5,100 large secondary schools, he said.

The party yesterday held a press conference to announce its blueprint for national reform after it decided to boycott the February 2 election and spend time considering the reform measures.

Abhisit declared the anti-corruption mechanism as the first point in a seven-point national reform blueprint. He said the proposal has 20 measures.

For example, laws should be amended so that corruption cases have no statute of limitations, National Anti-Corruption Commission investigations should be increased, and so too the role of the Office of the State Audit and the Auditor-General. Moreover, there should be retroactive examination of politicians' and senior government officials' tax payments.

Laws should be amended to control the government's use of advertising budget, and judicial officers should be banned from sitting on state-enterprises' boards of directors, the party's proposal said.

Information related to state enterprises should be transparent in the same way as listed companies. The party also proposed setting up a fund to support civil movements against corruption.

While Abhisit was speaking, a man who declined to be named blew a whistle at him. "I respect my vote. Please stop creating political speeches because your party [the Democrat Party] has never won an election," the man said. Abhisit replied by saying "Thank you", before the Democrats’ supporters took the protesting man out of the room.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-08

See this is the real suthep! He hates foreigners so much he's reduced to giving the farang baby a slap...............whistling.gif

Get your drift, but there's nothing to say the guy was a disgruntled PTP supporter, merely that (from my talking with Thai friends), he's speaking up for the silent majority who like neither Yingluck/Taksin nor Abhisit and wonder why the Dems did nothing about corruption when they've had all this time to do so. Rightly IMO, as I've posted on here many times.

"No, the guy is showing disrespect for Abihist by protesting his right to not participate in an election"

But you're OK with 200,000 people disrupting 35 million Thais right to vote?

'disrupting right to vote'?

When and where would that have happened?

Anyway, a heckler, so what, at least no one threw pebbles at Abhisit.

Typical The Nation "editing"

"Abhisit replied by saying "Thank you", before the Democrats’ supporters took the protesting man out of the room."

They seemed to have missed this part

"This is an example of reasons why we need reforms," Mr. Abhisit told the audience, "This is the form of Democrat Party′s rivals", to which the heckler shot back, "I am not your rival, I am the people!".

Security guards later surrounded the man and led him out of the room. After the heckler has been removed, Mr. Abhisit told the crowd that such harassment is a reason why the upcoming election on 2 February 2014 would not be a fair one.

Took that well then...................

I pity the heckler. With saying "I am the people" he seems to be in need of medical attention.

"Abhisit replied by saying "Thank you", before the Democrats’ supporters took the protesting man out of the room."

"This is an example of reasons why we need reforms," Mr. Abhisit told the audience, "This is the form of Democrat Party′s rivals", to which the heckler shot back, "I am not your rival, I am the people!".

Security guards later surrounded the man and led him out of the room. After the heckler has been removed, Mr. Abhisit told the crowd that such harassment is a reason why the upcoming election on 2 February 2014 would not be a fair one.

I pity the heckler. With saying "I am the people" he seems to be in need of medical attention.

You may be right, if thats the case he might have a problem when all those "right minded" people block the streets and he needs medical attention.

It could be compared to what in the English language is colloquially known as the "Royal We". It is a nosism normally used by people of high rank (such as the Queen Elizabeth II) to indicate a "collective"

A classic(bad) example of that was when the odious Thatcher declared "We are a grandmother".

Edited by fab4

You may be right, if thats the case he might have a problem when all those "right minded" people block the streets and he needs medical attention.

It could be compared to what in the English language is colloquially known as the "Royal We". It is a nosism normally used by people of high rank (such as the Queen Elizabeth II) to indicate a "collective"

A classic(bad) example of that was when the odious Thatcher declared "We are a grandmother".

I've always wondered about those ambulances with flashing lights and blaring sirens being stuck in horrendous Bangkok traffic jams. You can see that happen every day here.

"For example, laws should be amended so that corruption cases have no statute of limitations" They will start with guys that died at least 10 years ago, that should be safe, and there should be so many cases that they could never reach dealing with the current corruption.

Corruption costs the country Bt300 bn every year, claims Abhisit

Hataikarn Treesuwan

The Nation

30223736-01_big.gif

The Democrat Party yesterday unveiled its anti-corruption proposal as part of its national reform blueprint.

BANGKOK: -- Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said corruption is costing Thailand Bt300 billion per year, or 2 per cent of gross domestic product. With that amount of money, the country could build 30 Parliament Houses, 201 BTS stations, or 5,100 large secondary schools, he said.

The party yesterday held a press conference to announce its blueprint for national reform after it decided to boycott the February 2 election and spend time considering the reform measures.

Abhisit declared the anti-corruption mechanism as the first point in a seven-point national reform blueprint. He said the proposal has 20 measures.

For example, laws should be amended so that corruption cases have no statute of limitations, National Anti-Corruption Commission investigations should be increased, and so too the role of the Office of the State Audit and the Auditor-General. Moreover, there should be retroactive examination of politicians' and senior government officials' tax payments.

Laws should be amended to control the government's use of advertising budget, and judicial officers should be banned from sitting on state-enterprises' boards of directors, the party's proposal said.

Information related to state enterprises should be transparent in the same way as listed companies. The party also proposed setting up a fund to support civil movements against corruption.

While Abhisit was speaking, a man who declined to be named blew a whistle at him. "I respect my vote. Please stop creating political speeches because your party [the Democrat Party] has never won an election," the man said. Abhisit replied by saying "Thank you", before the Democrats’ supporters took the protesting man out of the room.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-08

See this is the real suthep! He hates foreigners so much he's reduced to giving the farang baby a slap...............whistling.gif

This is really the act of a low level coward. Poor baby :(

And look at the yellow thugs behind on the picture... They seem to wait till Suthep finishes to slap the poor baby before to strangle him viciously.

It's really horrifying to what extent these criminal anti-government mobs can go to reach their insane goals.

:lol:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

30223736-01_big.gif

The women in the blue kerchief at the bottom of the pic appears to be going above and beyond the call of duty for the great kamnam cos it looks like she's giving Uncle Suthep a J Arthur. Which might explain his pained expression as he's possibly reaching the vinegar strokes.

Oh, is that what she's doing? I thought she was holding up the colostomy bag. That would've explained her pained expression.

• Like 2

Harassment is a reason why the upcoming election on 2 February 2014 would not be a fair one.Boo Hoo Hoo Incredible words from an implausible statesman, having a conversation with the heckler could have shown Abhisit up in a much better light than just running away from him and having him thrown out of the room as heckler said he represents the people, talk to all the people tell them your views, and convince them to vote for you to be in government.

Edited by metisdead
Font again

Where as 1 Million (maybe) on the streets of Bangkok and their dear leader definately are "the people"?

He (and the rest of the majority) voted for the current government which abhisit supports being removed via means other than the ballot box.

Yingluck dissolved the government, the EC called elections, the Dems decided not to play. How is that the Dems disrespecting his vote? Sounds more like Yingluck and Suthep have, why doesn't he go blow a whistle in their faces?

So the hecklers stopping parties from lodging their nominations for the elections, we now have an admission from Abihist that it is unfair.... oh dear will some one please rein in Suthep and Abihist. The reason he wont make it is that in many Thai eyes he now lacks credibility. Oh and they had to remove this seemingly educated person, who stated, I'am not your rival, I'am the people. Well said young son. Respect my vote, now if only all Thai people thought in this educated manner. Spoken in English as well. Hmm, yes one must agree with all the nay sayers on this forum who claim and state that Thais are uneducated and imply they have no grey matter. One voice can make a difference, unfortunately at the moment it is Suthep. bah.gif

Total drivel from the red troll same as usual. You haven't even bothered to watch the video of it or else you would have known it was all spoken in Thai language. Try knowing what you are talking about before you embarrass yourself with writing complete nonsense.....

Good grief, I agree with you !

Yingluck dissolved the government, the EC called elections, the Dems decided not to play. How is that the Dems disrespecting his vote? Sounds more like Yingluck and Suthep have, why doesn't he go blow a whistle in their faces?

As was mentioned earlier (page 1 of this thread), it is likely the heckler is a rather angry Dem voter who, because his spineless leader wouldn't front, decided that the Dems would not participate in the election, which effectively means he has been disenfranchised. Nothing to do with YL....and maybe now he feels forced to follow Suthep, which as a clearly intelligent and educated guy he finds that prospect unappealing.

Abhisit's response to the guy was dreadful - clearly no respect for anyone except for the small gathering of 'yes people' in the room. Arrogance beyond belief!

As an aside....while many here seem to be Suthep/Dem supporters..... what happened to the 47 billion baht (or whatever it was) that the Dems 'confiscated' from Thaksin? I bet it didn't go to 'the people'......only a few certain people I guess. Ironically probably helping to finance Suthep!

You don't need 20 measures to end corruption in Thailand. You just need one. Require all politicians, senior public officials and generals to open their personal finances to public scrutiny. Then we can see who's living far beyond the means of their salary.

Fair enough.

Question: Why didn't Abhisit and his Democrats do this when they were in power?

Question: Why was one of the most powerful men in the Democrat party, Khun Suthep made Deputy PM when Khun Suthep had a questionable record?

Probably because his ass was up against the wall trying to fend of violent protests in the center of bangkok.

As was mentioned earlier (page 1 of this thread), it is likely the heckler is a rather angry Dem voter who, because his spineless leader wouldn't front, decided that the Dems would not participate in the election, which effectively means he has been disenfranchised. Nothing to do with YL....and maybe now he feels forced to follow Suthep, which as a clearly intelligent and educated guy he finds that prospect unappealing.

Abhisit's response to the guy was dreadful - clearly no respect for anyone except for the small gathering of 'yes people' in the room. Arrogance beyond belief!

As an aside....while many here seem to be Suthep/Dem supporters..... what happened to the 47 billion baht (or whatever it was) that the Dems 'confiscated' from Thaksin? I bet it didn't go to 'the people'......only a few certain people I guess. Ironically probably helping to finance Suthep!

You make lots of wild assumptions.

There can be no doubt that the funds confiscated from the paymaster went into general revenues / the common wealth of all Thais.

If it did go into the dems' bank account or was somehow actually distributed to a handful of individuals there would have been enormous

outcry, someone would have seen it.

There has never been such an outcry so your post is nothing more than mischief.

Different point, at the event yesterday abhisit could have responded by saying:

'well you should have respect for my right to protest.'

Perhaps it because of the support that the dems give and have given to suthep and what plans he has for the election (i.e you're not having one if I can get away with it). So yes abhist and the dems are disrespecting peoples right to vote. Any coincidence you can see that would be attributable to the fact that the only provinces that have had people obstruct candidate registration and consequently no candidates registering, are former dem held provinces?

So the hecklers stopping parties from lodging their nominations for the elections, we now have an admission from Abihist that it is unfair.... oh dear will some one please rein in Suthep and Abihist. The reason he wont make it is that in many Thai eyes he now lacks credibility. Oh and they had to remove this seemingly educated person, who stated, I'am not your rival, I'am the people. Well said young son. Respect my vote, now if only all Thai people thought in this educated manner. Spoken in English as well. Hmm, yes one must agree with all the nay sayers on this forum who claim and state that Thais are uneducated and imply they have no grey matter. One voice can make a difference, unfortunately at the moment it is Suthep. bah.gif

Suthep is behind the current series of protests not Abhisit. He is not the one blocking voter party registration (not the same as blocking a voter by the way, but I can see a connection) nor does he need reigning in as he is not doing anything that needs to be reigned in.

Still at least the protestor said Abhisit was not a rival of the people, if he is not Abhisit's rival and he is the people then Abhisit is not a rival of the people.

Sir

Abhsit cannot speak like Hitler,hence his henchman Suthep,the mouth piece and rioter.

So the hecklers stopping parties from lodging their nominations for the elections, we now have an admission from Abihist that it is unfair.... oh dear will some one please rein in Suthep and Abihist. The reason he wont make it is that in many Thai eyes he now lacks credibility. Oh and they had to remove this seemingly educated person, who stated, I'am not your rival, I'am the people. Well said young son. Respect my vote, now if only all Thai people thought in this educated manner. Spoken in English as well. Hmm, yes one must agree with all the nay sayers on this forum who claim and state that Thais are uneducated and imply they have no grey matter. One voice can make a difference, unfortunately at the moment it is Suthep. bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif

Suthep is behind the current series of protests not Abhisit. He is not the one blocking voter party registration (not the same as blocking a voter by the way, but I can see a connection) nor does he need reigning in as he is not doing anything that needs to be reigned in.

Still at least the protestor said Abhisit was not a rival of the people, if he is not Abhisit's rival and he is the people then Abhisit is not a rival of the people.

Sir

Abhsit cannot speak like Hitler,hence his henchman Suthep,the mouth piece and rioter.

?

You don't need 20 measures to end corruption in Thailand. You just need one. Require all politicians, senior public officials and generals to open their personal finances to public scrutiny. Then we can see who's living far beyond the means of their salary.

Fair enough.

Question: Why didn't Abhisit and his Democrats do this when they were in power?

Question: Why was one of the most powerful men in the Democrat party, Khun Suthep made Deputy PM when Khun Suthep had a questionable record?

Probably because his ass was up against the wall trying to fend of violent protests in the center of bangkok.

....yep...aaaaaaaaall the time, they were in power!

From Day 1!

Totally!

...and now: back to bed and take your medicine!

The Protester is EXACTLY right, the Majority who voted this Governement is their votes are not being respected and again he is right when he says he is the PEOPLE

For the umpteenth time - but just for you again : Which majority are you referring too? Do you mean the large minority that voted for PTP in the last election?

If so, many of that minority who voted PTP may not do so again. I base this on a large group of young university educated Thais that I know, All are from Isaan, all voted for PPT. All are disgusted at the sheer corruption and lies over the last 2.5 years. All vow to never vote for a Thaksin proxy party again - and yes, they've all joined protest marches against this regime.

Now they are all trying to explain to their relatives in the NE why taking the cash bribe and believing all the false promises won't deliver a government that really looks after them,

Conversely, my friends in CM tell me the power of the Shins is as strong as ever and any voice against them won't be tolerated.

It really is a feudal factionalised society where clan loyalty, bribery and corruption, coupled with violent intimidation when necessary, are seen as acceptable facets of democracy. Not a surprise given the complete lack of legal integrity that permeates all levels. And we have posters on here saying "this government was democratically elected " (many also usually falsely claim by a majority) and then compare this phenomena with Western Democracy. Apples and Oranges.

If all that you spew is true what dont they just go to the election and vote then just like Yingluck, said Vote her out ??

If there is overwhelming majority support against the TS clan I really dont understand why they dont WELCOME THE ELECTIONS on the 2nd of Feb

But the truth is very different isnt it wink.png

True. I was reading Michael Yon's page and he keeps adding to an increasing list of people he claims are 'anti-regime'. The latest are Thai-Indians and rice farmers. In fact, if you believe his page you'd think that the government are in danger of being attacked by 20 million rice farmers (who according to Yon, 'know more about explosives than your average Taliban'), who are furious after the government has bankrupted them with their rice scheme. Thai-Indians are apparently up in arms because Thaksin 'played the race card' - though I'm not sure what that involved or when it was. And one of his Thai fans claimed that she doubts PT can even win this next election, despite the fact they have no significant opposition.

And all the while I'm thinking 'Wow, it's a shame that the Democrats aren't competing then, isn't it? I mean with all these people that have supposedly turned against the 'regime', they should win a landslide...'

However, there are signs that suggest the opposite is the case:

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow 21h

If you think most Thais don't want an election then think again. 2,164,796 have registered to vote in advance; 916,210 in #Bangkok alone

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow 21h

Registration for advance voting in elections - Via @noppatjak: 2007 - 2.09 Million 2011 - 2.40 Million 2014 - 2.16 Million

If they'd claimed people were rapidly turning against PT in early November, I would've totally agreed. But the Democrats have wasted any advantage they had then, and if they don't win this fight by installing their unelected council, they stand a chance of never recovering as an electoral force. That's why their own secretary general admitted that the party was in danger of being destroyed, whichever direction it were to take. Caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't think they'll be destroyed because they'll always have the south providing them with a foundation, but elsewhere...

Agreed. Yon posted a picture of 30-40 anti-government protesters in Issan and said "the tide is turning". I posted, reminding him that there are 20 million people in Issan. His anti-govt followers didn't appreciate my thoughts, as you might guess.

• Like 1

Another poster on this thread knows this guy. He's a red shirt sympathiser though not particularly fond of PT or thaksin I gather. Wants to see a fairer society. Edited by Bluespunk