Taps in kitchen are naff

mmh8

I remember seeing those taps in other peoples houses and thinking to myself why do they have such naff taps, why are they all wobbly, why not just scoot under and tighten it up.

Well I scooted under kitchen sink after finding I have the same problem. It seems the builders in their great wisdom did not clear all the concrete away for the sink space, so bit of metal support in concrete are sticking out, and bits of concrete sticking out and

I cant get a spanner in there, no tools yet, just two fingers and it is really difficult to get any leverage.

Any suggestions other than taking a hammer to the tap to release frustration

You can make a simple tool using 3/4 inch PVC. Most of the sink nuts are wing nuts. Glue a 3/4 inch union onto a 40 cm piece of PVC. Cut notches in the end of the union, 180 degrees from each other so that they will fit over the wings of the nut. Turn off the water, unhook the flexible line at the valve and thread it through the pipe. Fit the wings of the nut into the groves that you cut in the union and tighten. I have a picture of the tool that I made and use, but my scanner went tits up. I've used it for years.

• Like 2

Like wayned mentioned you can make yourself a simple tool out of PVC pipe of the correct diameter, as the diameter needed will vary depending on your tap nut sizes. Or you can use some long needle nosed pliers.

The attached image shows my home made 1 in/25mm PVC tool (and actually I need to make another one a little large in diamenter...like 1.1" for some nuts on a few of my taps which have a six sided shape preventing the tool from hooking onto the tabs). But the one in the image fits the majority of my tap holding nuts. You use one end of the tool if the hose is disconnected or you can use the other end if the hose is still connected....the end with the long slot cut-out is so you can get the device onto the nut without removing the hose/bending the hose too much...if you bend an old hose to much the old rubber hose inside the sheathing can crack and start leaking...usually where the hose and hose connector are press-fitted together...it has happened to me a couple of times with hoses over 3 years old. I cut the long slot with my hand grinder. Or you can use some long needle nose pliers to use with or without the hose removed.

post-55970-0-39804100-1389158299_thumb.j

• Like 1

The last time I tried to repair a tap it broke off. Same thing goes for the shower unit. I generally just go and buy a new one these days when things need repairing.

I don't think the OP is talking about replacing a tap, just tightening the plastic wing nut that holds the tap to the sink so it won't move around when turning the tap on and off. Many taps using the plastic nuts (most taps seem to use them in Thailand) just slowly loosen after a couple of years of use...but tightening them makes them good for another couple of years...then you tighten them again.

thanks for the replies, had real difficulty getting long nose pliers in because of bits of support - (hmm iron containing) metal and concrete. Its thick concrete that is tiled over about 2 or 3 inches thick, hence the need for fingers

I will find some time to undo the hose and try the pvc tool.

It is a brand new tap and sink unit but , well I guess no need to ask, in the uk i'd get under tighten it up and it would not need it again for life bar someone turning the tap around multiple times. Here the whole thing bends, the ss sink unit the connection to the tap?

Made that plastic tool today, very helpful indeed. Also drilled the bottom end as o I can get a small bar/rod in for some extra leverage. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I used the union glued on as it was thicker than just the pipe and also glued a "T" on the other end to insert a short length of pipe to get leverage.

• Like 2

Some good tips thumbsup.gif

Another method if the underside is difficult to get at is to turn the tap instead of the nut.

Turn the tap as far it will go anticlockwise, the nut should also turn at this stage. Get a screwdriver or something similar up underneath to lock the nut and stop it from turning then turn the tap clockwise to screw into the nut.

Do this in several times till the tap is tight.

smile.png

That can work, but it can also loosen the water hose connection nut and twist/move the water hose too much causing a hose leak. And to this day in the three or so hoses I replaced over the last few years when messing around with a sink or commode the hose leak develops internally where the host nut assembly is pressed fitted on the metal sheathed rubber hose; not the rubber washer part. Now when I mess with sink/commode water hose I do my best to bend/wiggle it as little as possible when disconnecting/reconnecting since I know the rubber hose is probably brittle from X-years of being in service.

This is the reason I asked, I have also seen the same houses suffering wobbly tap then suffering from leaky hose, I figured they were connected. Obviously the disconnecting should be done as little as possible. Also the sink/tap joint is often silicon sealed in additino to the rubber bit, so twisting it will break the sealing. The tool mentioned above is the answer.