My crash near Pattaya (CBR250r)

JohnPark

Check out Highside Tours - Google the name. They used to operate out of Bira, but not sure now - they do track instruction and will defiantly improve your cornering skills.

All these idiots just slagging this guy off - he was hardly going 'hell bent' over the speed limit, he was only on a CBR250 and I take it you all all motorcycle gods who have never made mistakes - actually most of you have probable never even ridden a 'real' bike.

Just last weekend in fact, a couple of friends and I had a session with Graham (Highside Tours) at Bira. Great fun and you learn a lot as well from riding on the track which can be useful on the streets

Hope he didn't set your suspension before you went out. I've had my suspension set maybe 30 times in my life and was quite shocked by Graham's "expertise" when I was at Bira. No mention of sag (he didn't measure anything before or after I sat on the bike), never adjusted preload, never asked my weight, never asked which springs were in there, no mention of riding style, preference etc etc.

Basically he turned all the screws in full and then 2 full turns the other way. 500 baht. Thanks bud?!?

Hope his riding advice is better...

At the speeds that I ride and my current riding skills, I doubt that any suspension or sag settings would make any difference, hahaha

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to hear you are ok after your spill. I still have a steel plate in my right femur after coming off near Pratumnak. I was pretty lucky really, 3 Thai men carried me into the back of a baht bus and it took me to hospital.

Have you done your UK bike test? One of the first things they teach you is to never brake and turn at the same time. You really should of braked hard for the corner, selected the right gear and then accelerated out of the corner.

Next time your on your bike set up some cones and weave your way around them. The correct way is to learn to slip the clutch and feather the rear brake. You will find that you have twice as much control of your bike.

Anyway good to hear you saddled back up after the crash. Take more care next time, your were very lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Check out Highside Tours - Google the name. They used to operate out of Bira, but not sure now - they do track instruction and will defiantly improve your cornering skills.

All these idiots just slagging this guy off - he was hardly going 'hell bent' over the speed limit, he was only on a CBR250 and I take it you all all motorcycle gods who have never made mistakes - actually most of you have probable never even ridden a 'real' bike.

Just last weekend in fact, a couple of friends and I had a session with Graham (Highside Tours) at Bira. Great fun and you learn a lot as well from riding on the track which can be useful on the streets

Hope he didn't set your suspension before you went out. I've had my suspension set maybe 30 times in my life and was quite shocked by Graham's "expertise" when I was at Bira. No mention of sag (he didn't measure anything before or after I sat on the bike), never adjusted preload, never asked my weight, never asked which springs were in there, no mention of riding style, preference etc etc.

Basically he turned all the screws in full and then 2 full turns the other way. 500 baht. Thanks bud?!?

At the speeds that I ride and my current riding skills, I doubt that any suspension or sag settings would make any difference, hahaha

You'd be surprised...

Still, if you want me to set yours up the same way mine was set up, let me know. I may not have any tools on hand so bring a small flathead screwdriver and make sure you've got at least 3 minutes spare, I could probably do it faster but I'll drag it out to justify the price. I'll even give you some condescending advice while I do it, just so you can be sure you got everything I got :)

You'd be surprised...

Still, if you want me to set yours up the same way mine was set up, let me know. I may not have any tools on hand so bring a small flathead screwdriver and make sure you've got at least 3 minutes spare, I could probably do it faster but I'll drag it out to justify the price. I'll even give you some condescending advice while I do it, just so you can be sure you got everything I got smile.png

Serious? Are you in Bkk? How much? Will just a beer do?

Glad you're OK and that you are back on the bike.

So did you figure out what went wrong ? To me it looks like two things.

Just prior to the accident you braked - or at least let go of the trottle - putting more weight on the front weel and extending the distance from front to back weel requiring a larger turn radius (because of released suspension).

You tried to steer the bike through the corner by just pulling the handlebar - which usually will make the front wheel loose friction (especially with added weight on the front weel) - since the cam angle didn't change.

If you need to adjust the curve it is quite essential to lean into the curve. You learned it the hard way - but that sometímes means that it is remembered better...

Please don't considder this a negative know it all post. I too make mistakes and am always happy when somebody helps me figure out what went wrong.

Where do you get the bike has a larger turning radius when it brakes?

The forks move up and towards the cog, the rear moves down and towards the cog (depending on your sag settings), making the wheel base shorter so the turning radius less

Also as the forks compress the rake increases also making turning quicker.

Instead giving a long explanation I suggest you read i.e. this:

"increasing your speed in a turn effectively decreases the radius of the turn"

http://thefastonesvintage.com/hang-off/

That's just a random result from a google search, I'm sure you can find it described in lots of other places.

well I actually wasted my time looking at that link

said nothing about what you posted

i'll say it again

to say a compressed fork increases the turning radius is wrong and your posting mis-information

lets just say I have quite some experience when it comes to motorcycles

so

put up or shut up,

I'm quite happy to be proven wrong by somebody who actually has some background and can talk about things not just dismiss my objection and post useless links.

balls in your court

put up or shut up,

I'm quite happy to be proven wrong by somebody who actually has some background and can talk about things not just dismiss my objection and post useless links.

balls in your court

Believe what you want and please don't involve me in where you put your balls. It wasn't you I was trying to help anyway. End of subject for me.

Edited by Ninja4me

I havent laughed so hard and for so long since the Borat movie. Thanks for this clip. Its a good watch as long as you weren't one to get hit Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The guy should get an honorary Darwin Award.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

First of all glad that the accident end with only damage to the bike.

As I did see other people suggest you I think it would be better that you spend some money an driving lessons. You need the hole road, 2 lanes and switch without check and give signal. As I can see on the video you just lost control over your bike, Maybe because you came close by the side bar.

May this be a good lesson and hope in future that you drive your brain switched on.