My crash near Pattaya (CBR250r)

JohnPark

Ran over sand,ya call that an accident.I would call it A mishap from someone inexperienced.

Look at the tourists who rent big bikes because it is "cool".Then they struggle to keep it straight at a traffic light. Or smash it against the car next...

I'm all for the police controls of bikes as they do in CNX. It's a nitemare to drive around the moat with all these tourist idiots around.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can understand the comments from some forum members if it was a literbike the OP was riding, because then he would have made some wrong choises.

The question is: how do you become a good bike rider ? I would say:

1) Take a drivers licence - which does not mean you know how to ride a bike, but gives you the legal right to gain experience and knowlege on public roads. I assume the OP has done that.

2) Get youself a beginner bike (i.e. a CBR250R) now you can start to build experience - usually by making mistakes and lean from them. The OP have done exactly that.

3) Move on to a bigger/more demanding bike when/if you have learned how to handle what you have and you like more challenge.

Regarding the speed it is obvious that the speed was to high giving the circumstances - but I don't see any evidence that he was over the legal speed limit.

If you don't go to the limits of what you can do, you will not get better. When you do go to the limits of what you can do you will make mistakes.

• Like 1

Really wish I had went for the ABS version now, I think that would've prevented the crash.

Every bike I buy from now will have it fitted.

Glad your ok & no worries everyone has moments

Only experience will help you.

In the case of your video abs/no abs would not matter at all IMHO

You just panicked

You have not known the feel of sliding & it freaked you out.

Chopping the throttle & hitting the brake while looking at where you did not want to go

is exactly what got you to that where you did not want to go spot :)

Would be nice if all riders spent some time riding dirt bikes too (again IMHO)

It allows folks to know what feet on the pegs slides feel like, how throttle control works & what slide control feels like.

Although possible It is not an easy skill to acquire on asphalt but essential to know

• Like 2

My opinion is you were to far to the left. I've been along there many times going to Bira. But hey, I wasn't there on the day....

A steering damper may have helped keep you from loosing control.

Hopefully you've run that road again to figure out what you did wrong (ideally without crashing again, and in better footwear).

Yep, run it again many times since then. Don't have boots yet but going to buy some when I get back to the UK.

My suggestion is that you buy the boots and then find a rider training school in the UK that can teach you how to ride a bike.

And I don't mean a defensive driving school, I mean a proper school that that will teach you the physics of riding a bike, how to knee-down, understand apex, entry and exit points, wheelie, and brake with your rear wheel dancing in the air.

Once you've done that, you will understand how many things you are doing wrong in your everyday riding that your video reveals.

Really wish I had went for the ABS version now, I think that would've prevented the crash.

Every bike I buy from now will have it fitted.

Glad your ok & no worries everyone has moments

Only experience will help you.

In the case of your video abs/no abs would not matter at all IMHO

You just panicked

You have not known the feel of sliding & it freaked you out.

Chopping the throttle & hitting the brake while looking at where you did not want to go

is exactly what got you to that where you did not want to go spot :)

Would be nice if all riders spent some time riding dirt bikes too (again IMHO)

It allows folks to know what feet on the pegs slides feel like, how throttle control works & what slide control feels like.

Although possible It is not an easy skill to acquire on asphalt but essential to know

I've heard this a lot...wish I had the experience before jumping on a road bike. On a tractor, Bobcat, or even a car/truck that type of slipping and sliding doesn't faze me. Growing up in the rust belt and learning to drive on snow and ice sure has its advantages.

But those experiences don't translate over all that well. And so I've jad to learn just like the OP. My first accident was eerily similar with the only difference being I was able to bail before the bike went off road.

I think that him posting his experience will help. The fact that he manned up and admitted he screwed up as well as seems to be listening to advice bodes well for his future event free rides. And if someone else can learn what not to do from this video than he has really returned something to the biking community.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Can clearly see the sand on the road where you came off, lots of it laying around on the roads over here, really need to be careful going fairly fast. Glad your OK. I try to go more slowly now with either motorbike or car but especially on the m/b because I'm beginning to really enjoy having the time to look around the fields and buildings as I meander from A to B....seeing things I never seen before although I have traveled the same road daily for 3 years now.

Here come the army of TV critics. Yawn.

Glad you're OK. You'll learn from your mistakes, don't worry about it.

Stock tires? I loathed the stock tires on the CBR250R, replaced them as quickly as I could.

If he was speeding, it was breaking the law and potentially putting others at risk. Luckily, no others were involved. My friend was hit by a bike going too fast and couldn't negotiate the corner. No excuse for this.

Glad your Ok. Ww all have done it and at worst use this as a slightly expensive learning experience.. momentum is your friend on on any loose or poor surface the front break aint your friend , nature tendency is to try and sow as you think its going to help but reality is you are better off just riding through it

Stock tires? I loathed the stock tires on the CBR250R, replaced them as quickly as I could.

If he was speeding, it was breaking the law and potentially putting others at risk. Luckily, no others were involved. My friend was hit by a bike going too fast and couldn't negotiate the corner. No excuse for this.

You are lucky to be alive.

Hope you take that into consideration and slow down for all our sakes.

• Like 1

It looked like an early morning on a road devoid of traffic to me- not one other person or vehicle (except his buddy) is seen on the video- the only risk was to himself, IMHO, and if you're going to practice your riding skills on a public road, that's the time and place to do it.

I don't think ABS would have saved it, but traction control probably would have helped.

Your road positioning was poor and to be honest, there is no way you should have come off, you should really read the road ahead. You are gonna come across more than a bit of sand in the road in future and you need to be aware and prepared for it, otherwise it could end up differently.

However, respect to you for wearing protective gear....that gear saved you a lot of road rash and possibly more!

A lesson learned and cheers for sharing.....not everyone is man enough to show their mistakes!

• Like 2

Hit some scattered gravel on a corner 2 years ago on a Ducati at 160 km/hr. Drifted across one lane and missed a parked truck by 2 feet. Learned my lesson - don't try and keep up with idiots on other bikes who drive too fast.smile.png

Yes let them pass and be prepared to avoid the carnage that will happen, the Pizza delivery bike is the most craziest drivers on the road, high center of gravity makes it easy to dump. I always keep my rear view mirror clean and watch anyone whom is coming up behind me..passing of left is stupid..oh well this is Thailand and no rules exist...the rule is no rules..

and i did not notice any sand spot on the place of accident.

You can see a patch on the left side at the 33 second mark.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

the sand patch there is not the main point the accident.

but that's where he lost it. Scary to see that this little sand made the bike lose traction.

I'm really surprised.

If this video is made by Thai mate every-one here would post these: "idiot" "crazy" "insane" "empty head" "yaa-ba consumer" etc etc

Off course I'm happy this guy is OK, but much better if he goes home to die cause much cheaper for his family.

Other way I guess he has to practice more he can't ride this CBR250 well as hi thinks.

Good luck Buddy, you need big luck for your riding.

Thanks for the post John, It's nice to see something in here thats NOT 100% negative, it also takes guts ( as others have said ) to post our mistakes. Im happy you are ok and that the bike is repaired and all good, the lessons you have learnt from this should hold you in good stead for the next time..

Cheers

Edited by supaprik

Nasty, glad you are ok.

I couldn't really see from the vid but were you steering into the direction of the turn, or counter steering away from the turn?

I had a CBR250 as a "training " bike and then went to a Ninja 650. The ABS has saved me so many times!

SDM

When I watch the video I am reminded of a saying all pilots learn but seems to apply to many motorcycle riders.

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots" Learn fully from your mistakes on

a bike or do not. You were lucky this time, maybe not next time. A clean race track with proper safe areas on both

sides of the track wound be a more appropriate place to push your limits, not a public road. coffee1.gif

Buy a bicycle instead of a bigger bike. It will kill you. Your driving is abysmal, lane discipline is non existent.

Dual cariageway, no oncoming traffic on that road.

Perhaps, but you are not in a race, you don't need to try and use a racing line. Your choice to go fast but what was the hurry?

Real life isn't an Xbox game.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt, but sad that you probably have not learn't the real lesson.

Surprised how easy the bike lost traction on such a slight bend in the road and not aggressive steering.

I've broken traction many times momentarily, more with oil than sand or gravel, and it does give you a bit of a fright, especially when cornering.

Glad you are ok and that the bike was not that expensive to fix.

Thanks for posting.

Glad you're OK and well done for posting it up, there was bound to be some negative comments from the TV brigade...

In terms of useful advice, I'd recommend downloading Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2 video. It's available free by torrent. The section in there about survival reactions may have saved you crashing if you'd been aware of them, as you clearly made a lot of the mistakes that the video teaches you how to avoid i.e. you panicked and looked straight at what you were trying to avoid (the ditch). This accident was caused not by the sand that caused the bike to twitch, but the panic and reactions that followed...

I also agree with Mania about the benefits of learning to ride off road. I almost lost the rear end last month and I'm pretty sure that riding MX in my teens and 20's saved me. Or maybe it was just luck? Who knows, but it certainly doesn't do any harm to be familiar with loss of traction...

• Like 1

if you are too negative to say sorry for someone first who did an accident and just blame him with 'if's , sure one day a bike will come and hit you from you a.s. bad karma you know!

and karma accepts no excuses too!

I'm really surprised.

If this video is made by Thai mate every-one here would post these: "idiot" "crazy" "insane" "empty head" "yaa-ba consumer" etc etc

Off course I'm happy this guy is OK, but much better if he goes home to die cause much cheaper for his family.

Other way I guess he has to practice more he can't ride this CBR250 well as hi thinks.

Good luck Buddy, you need big luck for your riding.

so, anythign to add here apart from bs?

who are you to criticize?

OP is a beginner rider and at least he is trying and of course accidents are a part of the learning period. But at least he is trying to learn but you? you just sit in front of you computer doing nothing possibly drinking - or sit in your car - and splash bs around.

Talking about the death of someone and giving advice to die at home?

Plain disrespectful and ignorant. A guy with no balls to ride a bike teaching us lessons!!!

you need more luck than anyone here if you ask me with this behavior especially in Thailand and please do not say these words in front of everyone as you might get trashed hard too by some bikers around!

Get a life man and wear some luck amulets!

Edited by ll2