Aeon ATMs

For a while I was noticing (and hearing from other posters) that some AEON atms were charging fees while others weren't and read this on their site today:

AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) Public Company Limited (AEONTS) would like to inform that cash withdrawal transaction on electronic cards issued by foreign banks at AEON’s ATM will be imposed 150 THB of access fee per transaction and 20 THB per transaction for all electronic cards issued by card issuer companies in Thailand.

http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/unsec/custSrv/custServicesChannel.do?channelId=-9294&selectedChannels=-8758,-8757,-9294〈=en

So I guess the party is over?

Yea, already addressed in another thread. No one seems to know how long that notice has been on the AEON website, but so far no one has reported any Bt150 foreign card fee being charged by AEON like Thai bank ATMs charge on Visa cards and Bt180 on Mastercards. Heck, I used AEION ATMs a half dozen times in December....same as always: no Bt150 applied for foreign cards....hopefully, it will stay that way.

Yea, already addressed in another thread. No one seems to know how long that notice has been on the AEON website, but so far no one has reported any Bt150 foreign card fee being charged by AEON like Thai bank ATMs charge on Visa cards and Bt180 on Mastercards. Heck, I used AEION ATMs a half dozen times in December....same as always: no Bt150 applied for foreign cards....hopefully, it will stay that way.

No extra charge today with a Hong Kong ATM card. One with "Cirrus" and "Maestro" are printed on the back of it.

in Ubon 4 Aeon ATM, doesnt let me use my mastercard card anymore

Check with the bank that issued you the Mastercard branded ATM card. They may have switched their preferred network. Happened with Capital One Bank a couple of years ago

Pib many have reported that AEON has charged the 150 THB fee, but none have ever proved it was AEON, and it all cases was eventually chased down to the issuing bank's fees

I also read that on the AEON web page last night. The real mystery for me is that after withdrawing the moolah there is nothing ever on the printed receipt to say what the exchange rate was or any fee charged for the either the bank overseas or AEON. However calculating the exchange rate by what was left in my account o/s AEON is much more generous than the other ways I use to bring cash here. I'll keep using them.

You'll almost never see an exchange rate printed on a Thai bank ATM receipt when using a foreign card.

The only exception might be if you've permitted the ATM to do what's called DCC - Dynamic Currency Conversion -- which is a bad deal and something no one should ever use. That's where the local bank gets to set the exchange rate (LOW) for an ATM transaction instead of the normal way, where it is done by the VISA or MC card networks.

In any normal transaction, an AEON ATM will provide the same actual exchange rate as any Thai bank ATM -- assuming you're using the same foreign card at the same time.

The thing that's going to change and affect your ultimate cash proceeds are 1] the ATM withdrawal fees charged by the Thai banks (but not AEON as yet), and 2] any foreign currency/use fees assessed by your card issuing bank.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I also read that on the AEON web page last night. The real mystery for me is that after withdrawing the moolah there is nothing ever on the printed receipt to say what the exchange rate was or any fee charged for the either the bank overseas or AEON. However calculating the exchange rate by what was left in my account o/s AEON is much more generous than the other ways I use to bring cash here. I'll keep using them.

To determine your exchange rate before any fees were applied just go to the Visa exchange rate page or Mastercard exchange rate page....their rates are always plus or minus a little bit (usually plus or minus 0.25%) of the Thai bank TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers.

Now that's the full Visa/Mastercard rate before any fees are applied such as does your home country card-issuing bank apply a foreign transaction fee (most do, but not all) and if the ATM you used applied a use fee (like a Bt150 to Bt180 foreign card fee like Thai bank ATMs charge) then that fee may show up as separate charge or mixed in with the effective exchange rate. A person really needs to know what, if any, foreign transaction fee the home country card-issuing bank applies.

So many times it seems people blame a foreign transaction fee on the local ATM they used when in fact it was their home country card-issuing bank hitting them with fees. Like I said the majority of cards probably do carry a foreign transaction fee in the 1 to 3% ballpark and the card may also carry a flat fee to rub salt in the fee wound. Fortunately for me I use two U.S. no foreign transaction fee Visa debit cards...always use the cards at an AEON ATM since so far they haven't been charging the foreign card use fee of Bt150/Bt180 and the charge that hits my home country bank accounts match the Visa exchange rate to at least the 3rd decimal point...sometimes all the way to the 6th decimal point. A person really needs to know what fees their home country card-issuing bank apply.

And if a person is dumb enough or gets tricked into accepting an ATM's possible offer to use the Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) or some warm and fuzzy term like "Home Rate" or "The Bank's Rate," well, you have just accepted a lower exchange rate usually in the 3-4% ballpark and if your home country card issuing bank applies a foreign transaction fee you will still most likely get hit with that fee also, not because the bank was involved in the conversion, but simply because it was a foreign transaction in any currency. DCC bad, very bad for the customer; DCC good, very good for the bank.

• Like 1

Just used to to take $ out of my checking acct.(foreign bank USA)...charged 150 B

Was it a AEON ATM; or a Thai bank ATM such as Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, SCB, etc.? Thai bank ATMs have been charging the Bt150 on cards for years, but AEON has not.

Also, did the ATM display say there would be a Bt150 fee and/or print out on the ATM receipt? If not, then maybe it's just your home country card-issuing bank which is applying a fee that happened to work out to approx Bt150 depending on the amount you withdrew. Does your card carry any foreign transaction fee(s)?

I may be visiting my nearby Tesco Lotus this afternoon, if I do I will give my AEON ATM a try to see if there is any charge being applied now. But even if it isn't that don't mean some AEON ATMs may not be charging the fee now if the AEON web page note about the fee is recent/being implemented as it could take a while for AEON to reprogram all its ATMs as it may not be as easy as sending a command over their network to all their ATMs...each ATM may have to be reprogrammed manually. Time will tell if the Bt150 is being implemented.

Just used to to take $ out of my checking acct.(foreign bank USA)...charged 150 B

Was it a AEON ATM; or a Thai bank ATM such as Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, SCB, etc.? Thai bank ATMs have been charging the Bt150 on cards for years, but AEON has not.

Also, did the ATM display say there would be a Bt150 fee and/or print out on the ATM receipt? If not, then maybe it's just your home country card-issuing bank which is applying a fee that happened to work out to approx Bt150 depending on the amount you withdrew. Does your card carry any foreign transaction fee(s)?

I may be visiting my nearby Tesco Lotus this afternoon, if I do I will give my AEON ATM a try to see if there is any charge being applied now. But even if it isn't that don't mean some AEON ATMs may not be charging the fee now if the AEON web page note about the fee is recent/being implemented as it could take a while for AEON to reprogram all its ATMs as it may not be as easy as sending a command over their network to all their ATMs...each ATM may have to be reprogrammed manually. Time will tell if the Bt150 is being implemented.

OK, just did my run to Lotus to pickup a few groceries (that what I call beer) and to use the AEON ATM. Used one of my Visa no foreign transaction fee debit cards...withdrew Bt20K...no Bt150 fee charged...not on the display or on the receipt...the receipt said Terminal Fee: 0.

Came home, first checked the Visa exchange rate which was 32.97 baht/USD, and then checked my bank account which shows a $606.55 charge hitting for the Bt20K withdrawal...this equates to a 32.97 exchange rate...no separate fee either. Then checked the web site that shows the TT Buying Rate being offered by Thai banks...average was 32.89 with a high of 32.91 and a low of 32.86...so, this means that today the Visa rate was a little better than the TT Buying Rate at this point in time.

Summary: no Bt150 fee charged by the AEON ATM I used here in western Bangkok....but as mentioned "if", repeat, if AEON is implementing a fee it could take a while to be programmed into all their ATMs. Time will tell. I'm hoping that fee statement on their website has been there for a while and they are just not implementing it although they could if they wanted to be more fee-hungry...maybe they will...maybe they won't...I'll keep my fingers crossed that they will not...I can hope.

fyi, I had a trip out to the Big C store at On Nut today, and discovered the single AEON ATM they used to have in the parking garage area just outside one of their entrance doors now seems to have disappeared.

During my shopping trip, I went inside the Big C center there and browsed around looking to see if they had relocated the AEON ATM to a more customer friendly location somewhere inside. But I couldn't find any AEON ATM anywhere, nor do they have a branch office there at present.

Most of the bigger Big Cs do seem to have AEON ATMs onsite. So, has anyone located a new location for the AEON ATM there or elsewhere nearby???

Until such time as someone posts a copy of the slip or screen shot of their foreign bank account page showing a 150-180 THB fee from an AEON ATM this is still a rumor

Well, little mary sunshine never responded to questions about the charge so I'm going to assume little mary got really hit with a card from her card-issuing bank which just happened to be close to Bt150 based on the amount withdrawn and exchange rate. No doubt the statement exists on the AEON web site about the Bt150 charge for foreign cards, but no one seems to know how long the statement has been there...maybe a new statement...maybe an old statement. Hopefully it's just a statement indicating AEON "could" impose the charge and they are just not. Sure hope it don't have some near term implementation date like 31 Jan 14, 31 Mar 14, etc., that AEON failed to included in their statement. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...