Attacked

Sceptict11

Great intent ... but Thais can't eat Flowers.

You must not know Thai ladies well. They'll love the flowers ... and the gesture.

Depends on the TG - a true "lady" will be happy for the gesture.

The more transactionally-minded lasses will make the "can't eat it" comment.

No matter what they say, 99.99% would prefer an iPhone.

wym, I'd like to expand your universe.

There are others apart from the 'more transactionally-minded lasses' ... which is a weak euphemism for Bar Girls who appreciate gifts which are more practical.

When I was meeting the Thai gf's Mother for the first time, I asked what to bring as a matter of a nice first impression and was going to go with a nice box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers.

I was politely and reliably informed that my intentions were indeed honourable, however ... the Farm Mother has to feed for a Family of 10, a mixture of adults and children and, while Flowers are nice ... Thai's can't eat Flowers.

So, off to TESCO we go, the trolley slowly filling up, the mega pack of toilet rolls did contribute significantly to that though.

Then we passed the cooking oil, on special of course. I mentioned should I grab one, maybe 2 bottles?

I got the rolling eyes look and placed 2 bottles in the trolley.

I then got the forward push of the chin ... a facial expression I'd never seen before. But presumed that 3 bottles were required (it was only 35 Baht after all).

I then got another forward push of the chin. I thought ... huh ?? The next bit I should have thought, but no, being the smart-ass, I actually said ... what MissFarmGirl ... 4 litres of oil ... is mother changing the oil in the car or what?

At that moment in time, MissFarmGirl took 3 deft steps towards me, had a quick look around the store to see if anyone was watching and gave me a quick clip around the ears ... she's a good shot too ... w00t.gif

Up to the check-out I pushed, mouth mute, head down, still chasten by the previous incident. Was pleasantly surprised by the 1,200 Baht check-out bill.

Rocked up at the Farm for the meet and greet ... and was warmly embraced (figuratively) by one and all.

Stayed 3 days, got fed every day ... fair swap I'd say ... thumbsup.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You handled it better than me.

The straw that broke the camel's back was a trolley full of nappies for granddad, to which I threw a minor tantrum.

I suspect the incident was remembered when he died a few weeks later.

It's all a learning curve.

I'm lucky to have MissFarmGirl ... she's a treasure and has taught me a lot.

You must not know Thai ladies well. They'll love the flowers ... and the gesture.

Depends on the TG - a true "lady" will be happy for the gesture.

The more transactionally-minded lasses will make the "can't eat it" comment.

No matter what they say, 99.99% would prefer an iPhone.

wym, I'd like to expand your universe.

There are others apart from the 'more transactionally-minded lasses' ... which is a weak euphemism for Bar Girls who appreciate gifts which are more practical.

When I was meeting the Thai gf's Mother for the first time, I asked what to bring as a matter of a nice first impression and was going to go with a nice box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers.

I was politely and reliably informed that my intentions were indeed honourable, however ... the Farm Mother has to feed for a Family of 10, a mixture of adults and children and, while Flowers are nice ... Thai's can't eat Flowers.

So, off to TESCO we go, the trolley slowly filling up, the mega pack of toilet rolls did contribute significantly to that though.

Then we passed the cooking oil, on special of course. I mentioned should I grab one, maybe 2 bottles?

I got the rolling eyes look and placed 2 bottles in the trolley.

I then got the forward push of the chin ... a facial expression I'd never seen before. But presumed that 3 bottles were required (it was only 35 Baht after all).

I then got another forward push of the chin. I thought ... huh ?? The next bit I should have thought, but no, being the smart-ass, I actually said ... what MissFarmGirl ... 4 litres of oil ... is mother changing the oil in the car or what?

At that moment in time, MissFarmGirl took 3 deft steps towards me, had a quick look around the store to see if anyone was watching and gave me a quick clip around the ears ... she's a good shot too ... w00t.gif

Up to the check-out I pushed, mouth mute, head down, still chasten by the previous incident. Was pleasantly surprised by the 1,200 Baht check-out bill.

Rocked up at the Farm for the meet and greet ... and was warmly embraced (figuratively) by one and all.

Stayed 3 days, got fed every day ... fair swap I'd say ... thumbsup.gif

Many many more TGs are IMO transactionally minded than those explicitly involved in the sex industry; I did not mean any disparagement by the term.

I was simply addressing the (inferred) claim that (all/most non-BG) TGs would be happy to get flowers as opposed to something more practical.

Most likely also a function of financial background, those from wealthier/more educated/worldly backgrounds would have more leeway to enjoy such an ephermal gift.

I hope you show gratitude to those who have assisted and offered to be witnesses. It's bloody difficult to get anybody with balls enough to volunteer to be a witness in Australia.

Small bottles of Mekong for the guys, and those little bottles of perfume for the girls would be a great way to do it.

w0w! Horrific story. I hope you come back to a full recovery! This would be my worst nightmare in Thailand being attacked by a random person high on drugs... I should really carry a weapon of some sort with me at all times. It's better to be safe than sorry. Always expect the unexpected , especially if you're on the islands near any tourist destination.

Edited by kirstymelb101

I hope you show gratitude to those who have assisted and offered to be witnesses. It's bloody difficult to get anybody with balls enough to volunteer to be a witness in Australia.

Small bottles of Mekong for the guys, and those little bottles of perfume for the girls would be a great way to do it.

F4UCorsair, Mekong is so '90's'.......................tongue.png

Actually, not sure if they still sell it. We ended up taking it off the bar shelf in the earlier years of this millennium, and if I remember most punters changed to Hong Thong or converted entirely to Sang Thip (now known as Sang Som).

But yes, far better than flowers, especially for the blokes......................wink.png

NONSENSE, Aussies have balls. Wise UP and remove the rose tints

Well done those Thai Ladies.

Not that it's required, but I hope that you return and express your gratitude.

No worries !

I fully intend to do that .

Bit bruised at the moment but I will ensure that I return with thanks and flowers in a couple of days

If they are food vendors ... maybe sample their wares and a nice tip for a thank you.

Just a thought ... well done and good luck.

flowers would be nice and i'm sure they would be well recieved. i cant understand what gives the above poster the audacity to question what you may feel like giving.

Well done those Thai Ladies.

Not that it's required, but I hope that you return and express your gratitude.

No worries !

I fully intend to do that .

Bit bruised at the moment but I will ensure that I return with thanks and flowers in a couple of days

If they are food vendors ... maybe sample their wares and a nice tip for a thank you.

Just a thought ... well done and good luck.

flowers would be nice and i'm sure they would be well recieved. i cant understand what gives the above poster the audacity to question what you may feel like giving.

Mr Jones ... you live in Thailand?

Have a Thai gf/wife?

Have a comprehensive understanding of Thai Culture?

Actually, if you read the whole thread, you will have noticed, directly under my post, which you quote, was a post by the OP saying that he will consult with the Thai wife as to the best course of action.

A wise move liked by many people ... including me.