Why is it so difficult to inflate motorbike tyres?

wicketkeeper

It's a nightmare.

The connector doesn't connect, the hose is too stiff, too large or too awkward, and most of the time the pressure gauge is non-existent.

If you use the type that rings when done, usually it doesn't.

So far I have suffered pulled muscles, a ricked back, skinned knuckles and the pitying glances of fellow motorists.

Sometimes I plead antiquity or I feign farang ignorance and incompetence until a kind Thai springs to my aid.

Often I have left with tyres flatter than when I went in.

I promise to patronise any petrol station in Chiang Mai with a properly functioning, accurate, easy to use tyre gauge.

Please let me know if there is a decent air line in town, or around.

• Like 2

buy a bicycle tire pump.

Really comes in handy if you have a slow leak.

Pump it up and drive to service place.

if you can't air up your tires at a station then maybe riding a motorbike is too complicated a task.

'if you can't air up your tires at a station then maybe riding a motorbike is too complicated a task.'

That's pretty unfriendly-having a bad day?

Some of those machines are pretty crap and if he doesnt speak thai and they dont get the sign language, he'll just get a shrug and 'mai me'

My thai gf always gets her tires pumped at oil change time and was convince gas stations didnt have airlines here. When I first got the car and wanted to check tires the gas station attendant agreed with her!! As in, why would we give you air at a GAS station? Baa falang

buy a bicycle tire pump.

if you can't air up your tires at a station then maybe riding a motorbike is too complicated a task.

'if you can't air up your tires at a station then maybe riding a motorbike is too complicated a task.'

Some of those machines are pretty crap and if he doesnt speak thai and they dont get the sign language, he'll just get a shrug and 'mai me'

My thai gf always gets her tires pumped at oil change time and was convince gas stations didnt have airlines here. When I first got the car and wanted to check tires the gas station attendant agreed with her!! As in, why would we give you air at a GAS station? Baa falang

having a great day.

really if you can't air up your tires then there might be something seriously off in the cranial region. No need to foster incompetence.

sure some of the air hoses are poor but plenty that are fine.

OP might be a drama queen. Look if its important then I don't know. Spend 20 minutes finding a station that maintains their air hose and use that station.

There are plenty around.

PS I thought the bike pump was really friendly suggestion because it works at home/condo etc and is portable in case of emergency.

• Like 2

I like the small portable ones, on wheels, so easy, just park the bike and wheel it round to each tyre.

The most awkward part is trying to spin the wheel round to get the valve in the correct position because the air valve lance can only fit at one angle.

The petronas station on suthep road is where I go for air.....but the fuel they sell makes my engine noisy so I don't buy fuel, just free air.

buy a bicycle tire pump.

I recently borrowed a neighbour's pump to inflate tyres on my bike before I sold it. It was a helluva job trying to fit a vertical pump fitting, between the spokes of the bike. Last time I used such a pump, 30 years ago, the hose fitting was angled. The tyre gauge was also angled.

Someone should suggest that to the locals.

• Like 1

OP I feel your pain! I always used to dread going to the gas station to use the air line. One day it would work, next day it wouldn't. Different gas stations have different kinds of air valves, so it was a struggle to learn how each one worked. Sometimes there were would be several people waiting in line waiting to use it, so I had to wait my turn under the blazing hot sun. Pressure gauges and bicycle pumps don't always work like they should. Seasoned motorcyclists have all the necessary gear and know-how and enjoy working with tools, repairing flats, etc. but there are many of us out there who are just casual/occasional riders on short hops and don't want to be bothered with all this maintenance stuff.

What would be nice is if there was a place where you could park your motorcycle and go shopping while an attendant inflates your tires to the correct PSI, gives it a quick scrub, and watches over your bike and helmet while you're away. I'd pay an extra 10 or 20 baht for that service! Now there's a moneymaker idea!

• Like 2

Buy a high volume bicycle pump(~500 baht) and invest 10 minutes to learn how to use the nozzle etc.

Next week or month the nozzle isn't going to change.

You can take your time in your own garage or carport. No burning sun. No people behind you. Get the pressure correct.

A lot of these stupid accidents that have vaulted Thailand up to the second most fatal country to drive in are caused by improper tire pressure. It hurts the gas mileage, wears out the tires, and makes loss of control much more likely.

http://roadskillmap.com/

I see SUV and truck drivers all the time one handing the wheel while talking on the phone and one or more tires are nowhere near the right pressure.

If you walk out and find a flat that is not able to be driven often times pumping it up will give you enough pressure to drive to a service station and save the hassle and cost of getting a mechanic to visit. And the big plus is you will not be endangering yourself or others by driving a bike with a really low tire.

If your too feeble to actually pump for a minute then pay your neighbor kid or security guard 10 baht to pump it.

If you have a bigger budget and no arm strength then buy a little air compressor like this.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-Corp.-Quick-Flow-3-in-1-Air-Compress/14667801

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie
  • Like 1

I have found that tires (tyres for you UK guys) on bikes and motorbikes here lose pressure over a week's time. They may look and feel properly inflated (the good old reliable squeeze of the hand method) but they are off, enough so that you can feel it when riding. I use a good quality bicycle air pump that has an accurate gauge built on. Gas station gauges are never correct. It's a pain to get the thing connected to the valve on the motor bike because of the brake disc and spoke design. Requires a bit of struggle but it works.

Must be the heat here that makes tires lose pressure.

• Like 1

Agree/disagree.

I noticed during the cold spell that my tires held pressure much better than usual.

The gas stations I've compared against my tire gauge are right on - or off the same as my gauge. wink.png

And remember, any service person, even at most dealerships, will grossly over-inflate. Like 100% over.

• Like 1

Plenty of fuel stations around with working equipment.

If not, buy a guage from Big C, go to local bike repair shop, give him 5B to fill them, then use the guage from Big C to deflate your tyre to 36psi.

Probably best to drive around the block first though. Wouldn't want him losing face, you need to go back every other week.

• Like 1

Agree/disagree.

I noticed during the cold spell that my tires held pressure much better than usual.

The gas stations I've compared against my tire gauge are right on - or off the same as my gauge. wink.png

And remember, any service person, even at most dealerships, will grossly over-inflate. Like 100% over.

That's because a hot gas expands and when its cold it decreases.

Added to this, when you change your inner tube to the cheap 100bt tube its like a teabag. Air just leaks through quickly, and more so when its hot and the pressure on the tyre wall increased.

So a quality inner tube will retain pressure much longer, and even more so when its coool.

Provided the valve is sound and all things being equal with a good tube then over inflating is actually not advisable.

and I thought o level physics was the biggest waste of a lesson at school.

• Like 1

It's a nightmare.

The connector doesn't connect, the hose is too stiff, too large or too awkward, and most of the time the pressure gauge is non-existent.

If you use the type that rings when done, usually it doesn't.

So far I have suffered pulled muscles, a ricked back, skinned knuckles and the pitying glances of fellow motorists.

Sometimes I plead antiquity or I feign farang ignorance and incompetence until a kind Thai springs to my aid.

Often I have left with tyres flatter than when I went in.

I promise to patronise any petrol station in Chiang Mai with a properly functioning, accurate, easy to use tyre gauge.

Please let me know if there is a decent air line in town, or around.

Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We had a funny situation recently. The main kick stand was broken off during an accident so we can't prop the bike up evenly. The guy fixing the bike sat it up on a log, and the bike literally fell on him mid way through the fix. Then it fell on him again. And again. Finally, after having to beat the holy hell out of the thing to get it back on, as he was inflating it, it literally EXPLODED in his face. How it didn't hit him or anyone else nearby is anyone's guess, but a few pieces went flying FAST.

Back to the block it went, and it fell over on him again. Eventually he fixed it, I paid him, started to drive away and noticed it was totally lopsided. No way was I going back to him. We slowly drove it home and took it to the Yamaha dealer the next morning where they informed us it was the wrong size inter-tube.

So to the OP, it's not just you who has problems. A guy who owns a bike repair shop and fixed bikes every day was totally defeated by our tire.

• Like 1

There are a number of service stations around town that have self serve and easy to use digital tire inflators.

Otherwise just stuff one of these in your scooter.

Saved me a couple of times when riding back home with a slow puncture at 3 in the morning.

post-84343-0-91808700-1389305851_thumb.j

As stated earlier, at many or even most places that repair motorcycles they don't even have (or use if they do, in fact, have) a tire gauge. The mechanic will rely on his forefinger and thumb to determine the right air pressure. He must have a built-in gauge in his wrist or elbow; I've never been able to find it though.

The following is good advice from MotorcycleUSA.com

Motorcycle Tire Inflation

CHECKING TIRE PRESSURES IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIRE MAINTENANCE FUNCTION YOU CAN PERFORM.

"Why the capital letters? Because we can't stress this enough. Check your tires' air pressure at least once a week and before long trips. Be sure to use an accurate pressure gauge. Common sense, you say? You'd be surprised.

tire_contact_patch.jpg
"Incorrect inflation can lead to uneven wear, so use your contact patches as an indicator. And remember, having too much pressure can be just as dangerous as too little.

"Check air pressure when the tires are cold. Tires are cold when a motorcycle has been ridden less than a mile at moderate speed or after it has been sitting for three or more hours. Never release air from a hot tire in order to reach the recommended cold tire pressure. Normal riding causes tires to run hotter and inflation pressure to increase. If you release air when your tires are hot, you may under-inflate your tires to dangerous levels.

"If for some reason your tires are losing more than two psi per month, the tire, valve, or wheel may be damaged. Have your local dealer check it out. Always keep the air pressure in both tires at the manufacturer's recommended psi. Your motorcycle owner's manual will tell you this magic number. On some motorcycles, the recommended front and rear tire pressures differ, and the numbers stamped on the sidewall of the tire are often only for maximum loads. Occasionally, these pressure numbers are the manufacturer's recommended settings as well, but always check your owner's manual first. Having the proper tire pressure improves handling, gas mileage and keeps you safer in the saddle.

"Riding on underinflated motorcycle tires is dangerous for several reasons. The tires will build excessive heat and can cause sudden tire failure. Under inflation causes irregular tread wear at the edge of the contact patch and may also damage the tire beyond use. It will affect cornering, cause you to lose precious gas mileage, and can cause fatigue cracking.

"Riding on tires with too much air is equally as dangerous. The tires are more likely to be cut, punctured, or broken by sudden impact. Overinflating will cause the bike to ride hard and will cause the tire to wear out quickly in the center of the contact patch. Do not exceed the pressure indicated on the tire sidewall. Consult your owner's manual for the recommended psi and for other useful tidbits of info on your tires."

But isn't air 80% nitrogen anyway.

So you are going to get 20% extra?

Big deal.....where will you get that from

Any decent tire shop will have a Nitrogen generator or at least a tank.

I'm not advocating the use, but it is relatively common, and to anyone that has difficulty airing tires (I don't) it might be worthwhile.

I don't feel like getting up to speed on how to run the numbers, but I'd guess that when you lose 20% of the air in a tire, the pressure drops significantly. I could be wrong, but I would have to hear it from someone I have reason to believe might know, or actually see the numbers.

I'm not sure if this topic is closed or not. If not, thanks to all respondents. I bought a good tyre pressure gauge and discovered that many service station air lines are often wildly inaccurate, by as much as 15 - 30%. Admittedly I only tried the nearest half dozen places near Nong Hoi but not one of these is accurate. This is potentially dangerous, as many pointed out. I can only confirm that it pays to make sure you have the correct pressure in your tyres.

If the topic is closed (how do I know if or when it is closed) the above might be worth saying again.

Shell station on right hand side of the TH THA PHAE - TH CHAROEN MUANG road , going towards railway station/ring road.Good fuel and attendents can fill from air tank or you use the air line that bleeps !

Yes, friendly staff and two sorts of air, both inaccurate as it happens. But thanks for pinpointing the location.

Fill up your tank with petrol and get the attendant to blow

up your tyres for you,with the small air tanks they keep

near the pumps,problem (if it was) solved.

regards Worgeordie

I did that once and the air tank had no gauge. I used my bike pump that has a gauge to check the pressure and it read 45psi.

buy a bicycle tire pump.

Another fine comment, sir.

Those little plastic tire gauges seem to work fairly well.

And, when we had bikes, we always kept a foot and leg musckel operated pump.

Bicycles need higher pressure than car tires, of course.

You could hire someone at the garage to fill your tyres if you like.

Probably any of a number of kids milling around the garage would find it fun,

And funny to help you for free, though.

Look at that Farang on the bike.

Etc, Etc, Etc.

Buy a bicycle pump and a decent air pressure gauge.

Pump it at home above the recommended psi, then release it down to the right pressure.

In fact, this is more accurate since the tyre is still cold.

Doing it at the petrol pump assuming there is an accurate gauge there, means you will be riding it there and that will not be right. The variance can be 3-4 psi.

• Like 1