Convenient Feature On Garmin

Last night while I was driving I needed to find an ATM that had a parking space nearby. I pushed the "Where to" button on the menu and one of the options was ATM machines. I pushed on it and the Garmin showed me where the closest ATMs were. The first one had no parking near by. The second one did.

This machine is so convenient.

Had I been hungry for Chinese food instead of in need of an ATM the Garmin would have been just as helpful.

I also found it convenient when I forgot to fill the tank up. I pressed fuel and found the nearest station, easy as pie.

I am glad to have found another Garmin user in BKK. How long have you had yours?

What limitations have you found? Every so often mine will not let me turn right when turning right is OK (e.g, when exiting the motorway at Silom).

Overall I am really happy with it. The Conrad hotel has them in their limos and The Oriental is going to try them out.

What Garmin model do you have and what map software did you upload into the unit... I'm here in the US and have a Street Pilot i3 I would like to upload the BKK map into but never thought maps available?

What Garmin model do you have and what map software did you upload into the unit... I'm here in the US and have a Street Pilot i3 I would like to upload the BKK map into but never thought maps available?

It is the Garmin Street Pilot 2720. It comes (in Thailand) preloaded with Thai maps in English. The Thai maps are loaded here in Bangkok.

I can not find the maps to download or buy on the Garmin site or thru Google search - Does anyone know where to get the Bangkok map files that are compatible with Garmin?

You have to buy it from ESRI Thailand.

They will upload it to your machine directly in their office. I doubt they will email it or make it available for down load. They seem to be paranoid about piracy. Funny that.

I have the C320. Works brilliantly. Already had the maps updated once. It struggles with the elevated roads, it doesn't have any measure of elavation , so it would!

I've had 2 cradles hard wired into the car's so very easy to swap from one to the other.

I think the 2720 has more features but I like the portability of the C320 and size.

I remember somebody doubting the reliability of the suction cup for the C320 , I've only seen it fall off the screen when i've been off-roading (which its also good for , has most of the smallest tracks on it) and then its when my head hits the roof.

Would recomend it to any one.

Wish when it searched its DB it was a bit quicker. Also a larger selection of types resteraunt woould be good. Wish it could prepare routes via another place. Wish Garmin would pay up and buy the maps off ESRI. Wish the one that you buy here came with Europe maps not N America! Wish Garmin would let people outside US buy Europe maps :o

I am glad to have found another Garmin user in BKK. How long have you had yours?

What limitations have you found? Every so often mine will not let me turn right when turning right is OK (e.g, when exiting the motorway at Silom).

Overall I am really happy with it. The Conrad hotel has them in their limos and The Oriental is going to try them out.

I forgot about checking back to this post, oops! I have the C320, I only bought the Thai version, so I don't have any other maps. I've had it since January. I have only found 2 mistakes with it sofar, the problem with the auto-routing on the 3rd expressway (the Ram Intra one) and when I asked to find the nearest petrol station it guided me to one that has since gone out of business. Also on the way to the beach near Jomtien I follow my own directions as I think it's faster than the auto-routing directions.

So Percy,

Did you buy the Garim unit from ESRI or just have them load in the data set?

Do you know if they will just upload the data set to my Garmin unit and if so for how much?

Also have you used it in the city on some of the small soi's off Sukhumvit?

Thanks

Edited by sfokevin

So Percy,

Did you buy the Garim unit from ESRI or just have them load in the data set?

Do you know if they will just upload the data set to my Garmin unit and if so for how much?

Also have you used it in the city on some of the small soi's off Sukhumvit?

Thanks

I bought the Garmin from Platinium on the 3rd floor of Pantip Plaza. It was pre-loaded by ESRI.

I have used it in quite a few areas of BKK including small sois. It is very rarely wrong. It is almost impossible to get lost with this machine. Unless you always have a co-pilot Thai who knows all of BKK...or unless you only drive a few routes....I think this machine is a must for a farang. Well, of course there are farangs who have lived here all their lives and can read and speak perfect Thai...they don't need it (but, still, even for them it would be a useful tool).

The Conrad and The Oriental are buying them for their Thai limo drivers.

So does the ESRI maps speak Thai?

How much is the Garmin with ESRI maps loaded? How much are the ESRI maps alone?

Still trying to figure out if it's worth getting it in Europe and have the software updated in Thailand or just get the whole thing in Thailand.

Just checked the price for a C320 here in Europe: €650. Other Garmin models available for €550 and €750. There was also a very nice looking "ViaMichelin" model @ €350 including Michelin guide software.

Are the Germin models worth the premium price or is it just the usual brand name thing?

Still trying to figure out if it's worth getting it in Europe and have the software updated in Thailand or just get the whole thing in Thailand.

I bought mine for 42,000 baht. Fully loaded with Thai maps in English.

Bought my 320 in february, it came with the Thai map loaded in Thai, on the CD however was Thailand City Select 6.7 both the English and the Thai version.

It was easy to switch, if you buy a bigger SD card you can have both maps in the 320 and switch between them.

I bought it here http://www.gadgetrend.com/ and found them very helpful. Joop

Just checked out the c320 on gadgetrend's website, 28k in Thailand with Thai software. 31k in Europe (650€ at current exchange rate) without Thai software, I think I'll just wait and get one in Thailand :o

Thanks for the info!

Just checked out the c320 on gadgetrend's website, 28k in Thailand with Thai software. 31k in Europe (650€ at current exchange rate) without Thai software, I think I'll just wait and get one in Thailand :o

Thanks for the info!

If you can use the US maps at some stage, it would be worth considering the 32k US/Thai version of it.

On Mr. 'Screw's recommendation, I got hold of a 2720 today. Only tried it out for an hour or two this afternoon, but well-impressed - thank-you sir!

Living out past Rangsit, I haven't had the chance to try it in the Big Smog yet - that will be it's true acid-test.

One thing I wanted to ask...how does it cope with the elevated highways? It's set for "Fastest", rather than "Shortest" route, so hoping it won't be directing me to come off the toll-road to get stuck trying to take a futile "short-cut" through some obscure soi...

Now, the next thing is...how long do you guys reckon until we get real-time traffic information in Bangkok that can be slaved to the GPS? I've noticed big signs/electronic maps on some routes in town showing red/amber/green according to congestion. Would be fantastic to have that (and more) info pumped into the car. Not that it would probably make much of a difference, but a man can dream...!

Edited by Meerkat

On Mr. 'Screw's recommendation, I got hold of a 2720 today. Only tried it out for an hour or two this afternoon, but well-impressed - thank-you sir!

Living out past Rangsit, I haven't had the chance to try it in the Big Smog yet - that will be it's true acid-test.

One thing I wanted to ask...how does it cope with the elevated highways? It's set for "Fastest", rather than "Shortest" route, so hoping it won't be directing me to come off the toll-road to get stuck trying to take a futile "short-cut" through some obscure soi...

Now, the next thing is...how long do you guys reckon until we get real-time traffic information in Bangkok that can be slaved to the GPS? I've noticed big signs/electronic maps on some routes in town showing red/amber/green according to congestion. Would be fantastic to have that (and more) info pumped into the car. Not that it would probably make much of a difference, but a man can dream...!

I have been very pleased with how it works in BKK central. As it captures a lot of satellites it deals with height pretty well. It could tell when I was driving up or down on roads....does that make sense?

So far it does not capture real time traffic information...but the option is built into the system and once the FM traffic system is there it should be up to the task.

So far the fastest choices have been the fastest. But, you will know local traffic conditions and unique traffic routes best and you can over-ride it.

BUT, THIS IS ONE GREAT DEVICE...EVERY FARANG SHOUD HAVE ONE.

Hmm...its first foray into BKK driving was a bit of a joke.

We had to do the Rangsit-BKK Hospital run this morning and thought it would be a good time to try the Garmin out. It's a doddle of a drive anyway - straight down the Viphavadi tollway to Din Daeng, hang a left onto Din Daeng-Rama IX and you're pretty-much 5 mins from the hospital. Usually it takes us 35-40 mins - most of it is on elevated roads.

As we weren't in any hurry, we decided to see where it took us. First warning something was up was telling us to get off at Ratchadapisek instead of Din Daeng. Sure enough, we were dumped into some of BKK's finest traffic! It turned a 35min journey into a 70min one, all primarily because it wanted to ignore flyovers for ground roads.

On the return journey, we took our usual route, and just let the machine recalculate every time we took a "wrong" turn. Again, it was trying to route us at ground level rather than take the high roads. It was set for Fastest rather than Shortest route.

Still, no big problem. It certainly got us where we wanted to go, and I'd much rather have it in the car stuck in a traffic jam rather than my usual predicament of getting totally lost in a traffic jam.

Hmm...its first foray into BKK driving was a bit of a joke.

We had to do the Rangsit-BKK Hospital run this morning and thought it would be a good time to try the Garmin out. It's a doddle of a drive anyway - straight down the Viphavadi tollway to Din Daeng, hang a left onto Din Daeng-Rama IX and you're pretty-much 5 mins from the hospital. Usually it takes us 35-40 mins - most of it is on elevated roads.

As we weren't in any hurry, we decided to see where it took us. First warning something was up was telling us to get off at Ratchadapisek instead of Din Daeng. Sure enough, we were dumped into some of BKK's finest traffic! It turned a 35min journey into a 70min one, all primarily because it wanted to ignore flyovers for ground roads.

On the return journey, we took our usual route, and just let the machine recalculate every time we took a "wrong" turn. Again, it was trying to route us at ground level rather than take the high roads. It was set for Fastest rather than Shortest route.

Still, no big problem. It certainly got us where we wanted to go, and I'd much rather have it in the car stuck in a traffic jam rather than my usual predicament of getting totally lost in a traffic jam.

Must be one of the other navigation settings.

Mine always goes for the flyovers.

It does have problems with worjing out if you are on or under an elevated road.

Bought mine at Platinum B 32,000 with Thai and US maps (wish they had offered Europe maps)

Bought my 320 in february, it came with the Thai map loaded in Thai, on the CD however was Thailand City Select 6.7 both the English and the Thai version.

It was easy to switch, if you buy a bigger SD card you can have both maps in the 320 and switch between them.

How do you do that on the disc from ESRI (the update) it only seems to have English.

For sure there is no Thai audio option.

• 11 months later...

I already have a Garmin Quest. I wonder if this place will load the software for me for Thailand City Select or indeed sell it to me. I emailed them but no response. I guess I will have to wait for my next trip to find out. If anyone happens to be passing by........ lol worth a try ........

I am also wondering why garmin do not offer this software for sale on thei website? :o

Edited by maprao

I have a Garmin Quest. Will this shop load Thailand City Select for me or sell me the software? I emailed them but they did not respond. If anyone is in the vicinity maybe....... worth a try ......ask on my behalf :o

If there are any experts I beleive Garmin preloads either a North Atlantic or Pacific base map on the device which cannot be changed. I am wondering if City select Thailand would work on the Quest bought with the North Atlantic base Map. Would it affect the installation?

I can always buy another one but this seems an awful waste!!!!

oops posted twice internet trouble sorry!!!!

Edited by maprao

Hi all

Just thought i would add my 2 baht worth.

I bought my Garmin Nuvi 300 at Platinum, last week.Paid 22900 baht, the guy in the shop set it all up for me.

I live in the Donmuang area, and have only used it on fairly short trips so far, but it seems to be performing well.

I really like the "get me home" feature, something i can see me using a lot ( only just moved to BKK)

Regards

Jaiyenyen

Hi all

Just thought i would add my 2 baht worth.

I bought my Garmin Nuvi 300 at Platinum, last week.Paid 22900 baht, the guy in the shop set it all up for me.

I live in the Donmuang area, and have only used it on fairly short trips so far, but it seems to be performing well.

I really like the "get me home" feature, something i can see me using a lot ( only just moved to BKK)

Regards

Jaiyenyen

That "get me home" feature is a real value. One Sunday shortly after I bought the Garmin I drove for about 30 minutes, making random turns, to a remote area of Bangkok. There was no way that I could find my way home alone. But, the Garmin took me directly home.

Garmin Nuvi 300 "only" 22k? They have a "Garmin StreetPilot i2" for 10k - less than half the price. Ok so the display is mono (bw) but I don't need an onboard entertainment system - and afaik 99% of the time you just listen to the device telling you to "turn right after 200 mtr" etc. Just trying to find any reason why I'd spend another 12k when it's not needed...

Edited by Phil Conners