Local Traders seem to think they own the road.

giddyup

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... are the same kind of people who feel the footpath belongs to them too,

so they have already extended their shop to include the footpath too, ...

Very often they are right on that.

In many streets in Pattaya the footpath is not public but belong to the house along it.

That's why you see so many "small businesses" installed on footpaths: it's a private area, and then can be rent!

This is not a Thai thing - it happens in virtually every city on the planet.

It does get worse. Go to any city in the US or Europe, and you will find restaurant owners who place tables and chairs right on the footpath, and if that is not enough, then they remove the traffic cones they have placed in the street to block parkers and put more tables and chairs there.

Every city on the planet? Are you serious? I don't know how shop owners in the West can claim the area out the front of their business when there are parking meters every 20 feet or so. In Australia you can't even put a billboard on the sidewalk unless you get council approval, let alone tables and chairs, and I've never had a shopowner anywhere else in the world get aggressive because I parked outside his shop.

I've seen it in many cities in Europe, and in New York it is almost considered constitutionally guaranteed. They will put orange parking cones in front of their establishment, and move them only when they are assured that you are going into their business. Ignore it at your and your car's peril. There have been multiple shootings in NYC related to these incidents.

No idea about Australia - been there many times, but never long enough to observe whether this goes on or not.

Well, I've lived in Australia virtually all my life and never seen it. Never saw it in the UK or Europe either.

It is highly unlikely you would be allowed to park outside a shop in the UK, but more likely due to excessive parking/zoning restrictions - indeed it is hard to park outside one's own house.

I don´t know how it is in other cities but in Pattaya ALL the shop owners seem to think the parking space in front of the shop belong to them and all the car owners seem to think they can park wherever they desire.

Someone mentioned you can not park at front of the shops of courtesy.

Where should people park? This is not US or Europe , they don´t have parking building every 500 meters here.

We maybe should do as thai drivers do, double park wherever we desire biggrin.png

I don´t know how it is in other cities but in Pattaya ALL the shop owners seem to think the parking space in front of the shop belong to them and all the car owners seem to think they can park wherever they desire.

Where should people park? This is not US or Europe , they don´t have parking building every 500 meters here.

We maybe should do as thai drivers do, double park wherever we desire biggrin.png

Thai drivers don't double park, they abandon randomly

Edited by blackman

This happens all the time in this country, I'm glad I'm not the ony one who has noticed this.

Thai's absolutely hate it when you park outside their shop if you are not going in. As you are pulling up someone from the inside will start to peer out the window observing you and most of the time will tell you to do one. Happened to me many times. It's not just shops either, if you park outside a bar and don't go in that bar it also happens and happened to me recently up near the lake.

It's a real big bug bear of mine.

i told my story of an event that happened to me in a topic about Thai parking abuses

i do not care if you like my story or not

i did not give anyone advise about anything

how another person deals with abuse of parking regulations will be their decision

personally i would rather have a scratched car or a damaged tire than to have to consider selling my principles so cheap

i do not care to heed your advise on how to live my life:

''I would advise to listen and not park there, if a Thai tells you not to''

i dance to the beat of my own drum

I never asked you to like my story, and my advice in my earlier post

(my last post, where I quoted you, but using a mobile I accidentally typed inside the borders of your post, TV Android app crashed while was trying to post, it is now a mess, I have asked mod to fix or delete that post)

My intension was not tell you how to live your life, as you interpreted it. I simply posted that it is hazardous to ignore a Thai, who tells you not to park on a spot that Thai person thinks he owns.

Did you read last night news, firearm used to settle parking dispute, and 4 shots fired.

You dance to your drum, cool! I, as a mindless sheep, try to follow Thai rules. In my first year I spent some time in Memorial hospital, cos I wasnt aware of some Thai rules.

Maybe some readers here are not aware of Thai rules, and retribution from angry Thai may come as a surprise, my advice was intended to that reader.

i am aware of the hazards and relish opportunities to point out just how wrong they are

i realize that one day i may well be the subject of a news item on ThaiVisa but i would rather live one day as a tiger than a lifetime as a sheep

so keep your advise directed towards that other reader

maybe they will care to accept it more graciously than i

Black - You go against the grain of the majority of posters on these fair boards.

I like you.

no i start to understand why the crime rate is so high in pattaya.... with advice like that.

Sin city is a place where locals enjoy giving a heavy beating to tourists for any small reason.

And some here, just advice to go and challenge them... these animalsfacepalm.gif

nobody remember this tourist with his family who get heavily assaulted by a taxi driver with a pipe steel in phuket???? Because the poor guy parked his car on the public road.. reserved to taxi mafia!

i told my story of an event that happened to me in a topic about Thai parking abuses

i do not care if you like my story or not

i did not give anyone advise about anything

how another person deals with abuse of parking regulations will be their decision

personally i would rather have a scratched car or a damaged tire than to have to consider selling my principles so cheap

i do not care to heed your advise on how to live my life:

''I would advise to listen and not park there, if a Thai tells you not to''

i dance to the beat of my own drum

I never asked you to like my story, and my advice in my earlier post

(my last post, where I quoted you, but using a mobile I accidentally typed inside the borders of your post, TV Android app crashed while was trying to post, it is now a mess, I have asked mod to fix or delete that post)

My intension was not tell you how to live your life, as you interpreted it. I simply posted that it is hazardous to ignore a Thai, who tells you not to park on a spot that Thai person thinks he owns.

Did you read last night news, firearm used to settle parking dispute, and 4 shots fired.

You dance to your drum, cool! I, as a mindless sheep, try to follow Thai rules. In my first year I spent some time in Memorial hospital, cos I wasnt aware of some Thai rules.

Maybe some readers here are not aware of Thai rules, and retribution from angry Thai may come as a surprise, my advice was intended to that reader.

i am aware of the hazards and relish opportunities to point out just how wrong they are

i realize that one day i may well be the subject of a news item on ThaiVisa but i would rather live one day as a tiger than a lifetime as a sheep

so keep your advise directed towards that other reader

maybe they will care to accept it more graciously than i

Black - You go against the grain of the majority of posters on these fair boards.

I like you.

thank you, although it saddens me too

over 20 members have indicated they liked my original post and i do appreciate their support

but the truth is i was only standing up for my right to park legally on a publicly owned road

i mean this was not outside someones house in a narrow street

this was on second road near Isuzu

even as the much mooted on ThaiVisa 'guest in this country' who should supposedly kowtow to all and sundry to keep the peace

surely i am allowed to park my car so i can spend my money here without being intimidated and threatened?

Edited by blackman
  • Like 2

This is not a Thai thing - it happens in virtually every city on the planet.

It does get worse. Go to any city in the US or Europe, and you will find restaurant owners who place tables and chairs right on the footpath, and if that is not enough, then they remove the traffic cones they have placed in the street to block parkers and put more tables and chairs there.

Every city on the planet? Are you serious? I don't know how shop owners in the West can claim the area out the front of their business when there are parking meters every 20 feet or so. In Australia you can't even put a billboard on the sidewalk unless you get council approval, let alone tables and chairs, and I've never had a shopowner anywhere else in the world get aggressive because I parked outside his shop.

Sounds true to me; i have had the owners of normal residential houses in small towns in the UK get pissed off at me parking on 'their road' when i needed to leave the car and run to the train station - they being fed up with vehicles left outside their houses all day while commuters do their day's work.

Only yesterday i was told to bugger off by a Thai street-sweeper clearing leaves (self-appointed loon) when i was in the middle of a reverse-parking move in my small Isaan city - since the whole street was almost parked up, i felt like ignoring him and walking away, but i was pressured to move the car by my other half. When we returned to the car an hour later, he smilingly offered our original parking-spot with a broad smile ! (Count to ten....)

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Thai drivers don't double park, they abandon randomly

Thai drivers do not park or double park. They just stop driving.

... are the same kind of people who feel the footpath belongs to them too,

so they have already extended their shop to include the footpath too, ...

Very often they are right on that.

In many streets in Pattaya the footpath is not public but belong to the house along it.

That's why you see so many "small businesses" installed on footpaths: it's a private area, and then can be rent!

Generally I doubt that, although I cannot prove it. In any case, the footpaths on major roads such as second road and beach road are public.

Many years ago I parked my car opposite Carrefour on Pattaya Klang road in the allocated parking space. While I was crossing the road the lady from the massage shop opened her door and shouted at me that I had to move on as I blocked the view of her miserable shop front.

Make a wild guess what my response was.

• Like 2