Sangha Assembly to prohibit monks and novices from driving and hitchhiking

Lite Beer

Sangha Assembly to prohibit monks and novices from driving and hitchhiking

BANGKOK, 10 January 2014, (NNT) --Out of concerns over a number of improper incidents reported in the past few years, the Sangha Assembly on December 8 held a meeting to consider issuing regulations prohibiting monks and novices from driving and hitchhiking.

83 chiefs and deputy chiefs of regions as well as provincial Sangha attended the event. The meeting was presided over by Somdet Phra Maha Ratchamangkhlachan, the abbot of Wat Paknam Phasi Charoen, the Acting Supreme Patriarch.

According to Phra Prommolee, assistant abbot of Wat Paknam Phasi Charoen and chief of region 5 Sangha, the assembly has considered issuing regulations prohibiting monks and novices from driving vehicles, given this inappropriate behavior has caused quite a bit of concern to many Buddhists.

Those violating the regulations will be punished. A committee will be set up to consider the punishment, ranging from warnings to 3 years suspension from titles, or, in a worst case scenario, expulsion from monkhood, said the assistant abbot.

Moreover, monks and novices are not to hitch for a lift, as there have been several reports of monks asking for money from the drivers after they reached their destination. Such behavior has created a nuisance for many Buddhists who witnessed it as well as creating an opportunity for imposters to dress as monks and commit crimes.

The regulations are alo in place to prevent damage to the monkhood's image.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-10 footer_n.gif

Does that include flying in Leah Jets funny how nothing has been said about that monk in a while??????????

And what about shopping at T*sco and *ig C.

What about checking girls out and giving foreigners dirty looks?

How about prohibiting monks selling amulets?

The list goes on and on....

Yes Somdit, it really happens. Not bashing, just stating the truth before you start.

• Like 1

Nothings going to change as Thai "monks" break every rule that was ever made and will quietly continue to do as they please. Anyway, driving and hitching are just innocence pasttimes compared with the heavy stuff they get up to.

And prohibit them from politics as well. Only a few hours ago, one monk led armed yellow protesters into a red group and the yellows shot 3 of the reds. Its disgraceful.

Edited by moonao
  • Like 1

I'm for punishment... send transgressors straight to local hell... do not pass go or collect baht200... clap2.gif but not to farang hell as it's overcrowded at the moment with priests, preachers and hypocrites like I used to be... w00t.gif if the devil exists and I go to hell... will he punish me...? I don't think so... because I was just doing his work... maybe the devil's rewards will more enticing... perpetual goodness sounds soooo.... booooring.... but how will I know which devil I was working for... there must be at least as many devils as there are gods... now I'm ready for a nap... dare I sleep...? I may have pizzzzed somebody off upstairs or downstairs... ZZZZZZZcoffee1.gif