US Embassy in Bangkok advises citizens to stock a two week supply of cash, food and medicine

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valgehiir, if worst case scenario happens (which is not gonna happen) only retarded foreigner will not be able to find food on his own.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, since it seems you want this all to happen. I know people like you, have couple of friends like that.

Everybody with a brain will not have problems. But maybe therein lies the problem. Brains.

Apart from not writing very nice to a fellow member; what makes you so sure the worst case scenario is not going to happen. Happy Pizza's or so? In my humble opinion, and since history always follows a certain pattern, the timing has now come for the real blow-out between the extremely diversed Thai society. I am not a doom-thinker; I just read, watch and use my brains.

And in addition, I work at a factory with +1.000 Thai employees. Come and monitor the tension amongst those here. The clashes, intriges, gossip, extreme differences in opinion. A good reflection what is going in Thai society itself. When a bubble will burst, it is the bubble I am talking about here..........

• Like 1

I went to Tesco Koh Samui today the shelves are empty and the first thing that came to mind was either people are stockpiling or they have transportation issues I would imagine that supplies come from Bangkok if all these intersections are closed I cannot see many vehicles being on the roads in Bangkok something tells me weare all in for a crazy week or two all due to one individual lock him up and throw the key away he wants to turn Thailand into a North Korea where no one will have any rights accept those with masses of wealth gained by corruption.

That`s a bit unfair,it`s not all Thaksin`s fault.

• Like 2

BANGKOK SHUTDOWN
American citizens advised to stock up prior to the Bangkok Shutdown

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The US Embassy in Bangkok on Friday advised its nationals in Thailand to stockpile necessary items including food, water and medicine as well as keep mobile device charged in preparation for the Bangkok Shutdown, which is scheduled to start on Monday.

In a "security message" posted on its website, the embassy advised US citizens to set aside extra time when travelling in the country or to airports and to consider using public transportation.

"These demonstrations can result in significant traffic disruptions and delays. .. We advise you to plan ahead. It is prudent to ensure you have a week's supply of cash, keep your mobile communications devices charged, and stock a two week supply of essential items such as food, water, and medicine," read the warning.

The message said the suggestions were being made because "political activists" intend to hold simultaneous mass rallies at key intersections and other locations in Bangkok beginning on Monday. The rally sites will be at major intersections in Bangkok including AsokeSukhumvit, Pathumwan, Lumpini, Victory Monument, Ratchaprasong, Lat Prao, and Silom and at the Chaeng Watthana government complex.

The protest leaders have declared their plan to prolong the rallies after Monday.

Despite the protests, the embassy in Bangkok and US Consulate General in Chiang Mai will remain open for consular services.

"While protests have been generally peaceful over the last two months, some have resulted in injury and death. Even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational, and can escalate into violence without warning," read the message.

US nationals should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. "Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news and media reports."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-10

Putting this whole article on the internet is to me very irrisponsible of Thaivisa. You should have ommitted the part about the money. you have now put ALL Americans and their famillies in danger from people that might break in to get the money. I think you should think about what you put on here just as much as you read all replies. Please think first next time.

TVGerry is right. Its real now! At least they will keep embassy open. But this situation is not threatening to unless you go looking for trouble by involving yourself with this conflict. Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That depends on where you are and the look on your face.

• Like 1

The message said the suggestions were being made because "political activists" intend to hold simultaneous mass rallies at key intersections and other locations in Bangkok beginning on Monday. The rally sites will be at major intersections in Bangkok including AsokeSukhumvit,

​I hope businesses in the nearby soi wont be affected.

Supplies don't come from Bangkok,they are delivered to Bangkok from outside. We saw this during the floods a while back. Things like bottled water come into Bangkok froum outside and there were shortages everywhere. I nearly ran out.

• Like 1

I went to Tesco Koh Samui today the shelves are empty and the first thing that came to mind was either people are stockpiling or they have transportation issues I would imagine that supplies come from Bangkok if all these intersections are closed I cannot see many vehicles being on the roads in Bangkok something tells me weare all in for a crazy week or two all due to one individual lock him up and throw the key away he wants to turn Thailand into a North Korea where no one will have any rights accept those with masses of wealth gained by corruption.

That`s a bit unfair,it`s not all Thaksin`s fault.

Rice we have.

BANGKOK SHUTDOWN

American citizens advised to stock up prior to the Bangkok Shutdown

How about EVERY Nationality living near Bangkok advised to stock up, not only US people,... but ALL people living in Bangkok ONLY Bangkok ... What logic is that? EVERY Nationality resides in the capital...

or... do the Pheu Thai goons just wanna flatter Obama to come to Thailand again after Thaksin's ultimate victory???

Edited by MaxLee

What most thai and some farang dont seem to be thinking about are the simple facts that if so many thai are in the streets protesting and roads are blocked then who will be driving the delivery vehicles for foods, produce, and water and if someone is driving them then how will they get through the blockades and protesters to make their deliveries???

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Putting this whole article on the internet is to me very irrisponsible of Thaivisa. You should have ommitted the part about the money. you have now put ALL Americans and their famillies in danger from people that might break in to get the money. I think you should think about what you put on here just as much as you read all replies. Please think first next time.

But that would be censorship, just take out parts of an article because the context 'stock pile some money' comes up. when you go to Myanmar, travel agencies advice you to take lots of cash. Is that a risky situation too?

How quickly everyone forgets. Wasn't it just a couple years ago that the floods interrupted the supply lines in this country and you couldn't get toilet paper and bottled water here in Chiang Mai for weeks?

I remember what it was like trying to find essential items like kitty litter and brown rice. I see nothing wrong with stocking up on essential items, knowing the way the centralized distribution channels for manufactured goods work in this country. The management of our local Tops, Tesco-Lotus,7-11, etc don't seem to have any independent purchasing authority. Like so much in so many sectors in this country, all the decision-making comes from Bangkok and if everyone stays away from work in Bangkok, no decisions get made.

Is there any harm in having a couple weeks supply of cat food around .... just in case?

HI Nancy,

I think this thread is a good excuse for a lot of guys here to exercise their massive bravado !!

• Like 1

How quickly everyone forgets. Wasn't it just a couple years ago that the floods interrupted the supply lines in this country and you couldn't get toilet paper and bottled water here in Chiang Mai for weeks?

I remember what it was like trying to find essential items like kitty litter and brown rice. I see nothing wrong with stocking up on essential items, knowing the way the centralized distribution channels for manufactured goods work in this country. The management of our local Tops, Tesco-Lotus,7-11, etc don't seem to have any independent purchasing authority. Like so much in so many sectors in this country, all the decision-making comes from Bangkok and if everyone stays away from work in Bangkok, no decisions get made.

Is there any harm in having a couple weeks supply of cat food around .... just in case?

HI Nancy,

I think this thread is a good excuse for a lot of guys here to exercise their massive bravado !!

Impressed yet?

sounds good, no americans on the street for two weeks yippee. everyone else can just get their supplies from seven11 as usual. seven11 stays open 24 hrs a day 366 days a year through sunshine. rain. floods. coups, earthquakes, thaiphoons and global nuclear war

In May 2010 7-Elevens in Bangkok closed before the government crackdown, and also from 8:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m. for more than a week while there was a curfew in Bangkok and 23 provinces. Before the closures, all of the 7-Elevens I went to were completely out of water and had very little food.

So as recently as 2010 7-Elevens here have shown that they may not be open if things start to get out of hand again. I don't see a big downside in stocking food, water and cash to last for two weeks, while those of you who ridicule this have a bigger potential problem if food and water become difficult to obtain.

• Like 1

sounds good, no americans on the street for two weeks yippee. everyone else can just get their supplies from seven11 as usual. seven11 stays open 24 hrs a day 366 days a year through sunshine. rain. floods. coups, earthquakes, thaiphoons and global nuclear war

In May 2010 7-Elevens in Bangkok closed before the government crackdown, and also from 8:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m. for more than a week while there was a curfew in Bangkok and 23 provinces. Before the closures, all of the 7-Elevens I went to were completely out of water and had very little food.

So as recently as 2010 7-Elevens here have shown that they may not be open if things start to get out of hand again. I don't see a big downside in stocking food, water and cash to last for two weeks, while those of you who ridicule this have a bigger potential problem if food and water become difficult to obtain.

Another thing to note here as well is.

If supplies run short,this will result in price hikes on remaining stock.

Street vendors will put up food by 5 -10 baht.

Correct me if im wrong but im sure this happened last time.

They sure as hell wont drop prices after.

People lose out again.

Watch the shelves empty of items such as burgers, hotdogs and chewing gum

The Thais will get all the canned fish and pot noodles

Water will go short

and when the beer is all gone, I'm off to Isaaan where I can get all that I need

cheesy.gif

HI Nancy,

Impressed yet?

Yes, I feel so safe now! Are any of you available for expat lady security?

The US embassy obviously has had a risk assessment done by the NSA, who have most likely in turn bugged and intercepted every telephone from the Thai military & Police down to the Anti-government protestors, so therefore you must expect they have good reason to fore-warn in light of the current situation. Otherwise, their citizens will be bitching about having no-warning at all after an event, if the circumstances do spiral out-of-control. Ever since Snowden expose them; you can not underestimate US intelligence.

Edited by MK1

Cats also eat chicken, fish, seafood,pork and a host of other things too. Try your cat(s) on these, they may just like it and you may not help to create a shortage too.

And as there will be protests - not floods - next week, is kitty litter really an essential item?

Edited by delh