US Embassy in Bangkok advises citizens to stock a two week supply of cash, food and medicine

Jonathan Fairfield

Just as the Europeans are amazed that we Americans use "compass directions, i.e. River Market restaurant is on the WEST side of the Ping River, Riverside is on the EAST side", I guess they're also amazed that we usually keep 7 - 10 days supply of food around. I guess we come from hardy pioneer stock -- people who had to get off ships, stock up on supplies and figure out how to get themselves to new homesteads in the west.

During decades of marriage I've managed to feed a household thru days of being snowed-in, flooded and multi-day power outages during all times of the year. By comparison, our little 90 minute power outages in Chiang Mai are child's play, although the flood did get tiresome, especially since the after-effects lasted for months.

During the supply interruptions of the flood, neighbors were asking to "borrow" TP and bottled water from us. Hubby did have to do some major hiking around CM to located cat food and kitty litter. I was about 20 minutes away from giving the cat canned tuna (for people), which we'd probably still be feeding even today when fortunately Hubby called with the news he'd found cat food a few miles from condo.

As ever, a sensible post, Nancy, an island of sanity in a sea of xenophobic crap bah.gif ........and talking of kitty litter, there's a good little pet supplies shop outside the moat at Pratu Chiang Mai tongue.png

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the suggestions US Embassy -- sounds just like I do every year before SongKran

I was thinking the same thing while reading through the posts. Some people play the melodrama card others think it's panic mode others thinks it's time to bash those being cautious, I'm looking at this as I want to avoid a minor inconvenience.

All of you not wanting to stock up may get lucky if the rumor is true that special Asia envoy Dennis Rodman has been dispatched by the US government to arrive in Bangkok to negotiate a settlement of the issues. Failing that, it's never a bad idea to be prepared a bit in a situation that nobody can predict.

• Like 1

Why do I get the impression that it's only the Americans that are freaking out and on the move tomorrow to stockpile.

Too much Reality Teevee, not enough time in dicey situations and countries.

Even Somalia has markets, shops and restaurants.

Last time I opened the water tap, fresh clean water came out. Wonder that.

Edited by fifthcolumn
  • Like 1

Iam not a fan of the US, but such warnings from the US Embassy should not be ignored. I get a notice from Swiss Embassy to avoid travel to Bkk for the next 4 weeks if not needed. Also to stay out of crowds in Province Cities

Why do I get the impression that it's only the Americans that are freaking out and on the move tomorrow to stockpile.

Ever hear of risk/reward? In this situation, maintaining my usual supply of water and food entails a puny risk. But in the event of any inconvenience, it also delivers a sensible reward. I hope you aren't drinking that Bangkok tap water, btw. Because it is neither clean nor fresh.

thanks for the warning, i am heading now to the drugstore!

let see 14 days, 4 time a days that make 14 x 4 = 56

so i will need 56 condoms pack of condomslaugh.png

They might lock the place down and u can't go out. But then again you will have Mrs Palmer and 56 condoms. Thats playing it safe.thumbsup.gif

Sounds like someone who has never been caught in serious anarchy before. I have and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Bwah. I've traveled thru the NWFP of Pakistan including Peshawar, some dicey areas of India, lived and worked in Indonesia where law did not even exist. I was living in Cambodia pre 93 elections. I've been to the southern islands, south of Mindanao. I've been chased at and shot at by Burmese Army troops and I've held held in custody by Vietnamese Communist party hacks. That isn't even half the crap I've been in the middle of.

I get out on the road and search for it.

Just a bunch of old farts, seriously. Seriously, old people. Worried. Old.

Keep your head down and stay out if the fray. What's to worry?

Wife and self have three trips planned now untik Songkran. Plans are unchanged.

Prepping and preppers, it's just so American!

Always with the impending doom.

Saying that, even up here in Issan today I did the 25k Baht annual stock up of all things bulk buy. Not a bad idea whatever the political outlook.

Sounds like someone who has never been caught in serious anarchy before. I have and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Bwah. I've traveled thru the NWFP of Pakistan including Peshawar, some dicey areas of India, lived and worked in Indonesia where law did not even exist. I was living in Cambodia pre 93 elections. I've been to the southern islands, south of Mindanao. I've been chased at and shot at by Burmese Army troops and I've held held in custody by Vietnamese Communist party hacks. That isn't even half the crap I've been in the middle of.

Thanks for the geography lesson, Rambo. Sounds like you need your own survival show on Discovery.

• Like 2

Ridiculous. Once again, America shows itself to be the premiere scaredy-cat nation on earth.

Don't be shattered if it's more likely that after the Libya experience, they're really more worried about US expats launching a joint legal suit against them claiming that their government didn't take enough measures to adequately advise and warn them of common sense things, like it isn't safe to cross the street if you don't look both ways and consider personal options wai2.gif

I believe it's called covering one's ass in the light of many.

This is where it's at.

Just go to Isaan for a few weeks. Plenty of food, nice people and no lunatics.

That's true, they are sending all the lunatics to surround Bangkok so Isaan will be a bit dull for a few days.

Not really. Many of the protestors are coming from the south, so tourists in Krabi and Phuket should see a decrease in muggings, attacks and general rip offs.

• Like 1

I went to Tesco Koh Samui today the shelves are empty and the first thing that came to mind was either people are stockpiling or they have transportation issues I would imagine that supplies come from Bangkok if all these intersections are closed I cannot see many vehicles being on the roads in Bangkok something tells me weare all in for a crazy week or two all due to one individual lock him up and throw the key away he wants to turn Thailand into a North Korea where no one will have any rights accept those with masses of wealth gained by corruption.

That`s a bit unfair,it`s not all Thaksin`s fault.

Some of it needs to be shared with the rest of the family.

Ever hear of risk/reward? In this situation, maintaining my usual supply of water and food entails a puny risk. But in the event of any inconvenience, it also delivers a sensible reward. I hope you aren't drinking that Bangkok tap water, btw. Because it is neither clean nor fresh.

Yes, I drink it. It is fine. If it was not fine, it woud make me sick. When you are done with all your silly little polluting plastic bottles, brought to you by baby murder money makers Nestle and Megacorp CocaCola you to will drink the tap, and find it refreshing and lifegiving.

Yeah, so stick 3kg rice. Done. Oh, and 3L Scotch.

Tins of food, people this is an ongoing political dispute - you are thinking days. Resolution could be months, years.

Edited by fifthcolumn
  • Like 1

I am so happy that all those redneck "yee ha" doomsday preppers will be able to justify tossing away thousands of dollars on hidden canisters of beans and beer... Can't you just hear all those "aged, testosterone challenged fat boys" screaming "we'll kick your arse.... US of A"

Maybe a few 80 IQ marines can come and "save the day"... oh sorry.... we only need one man who "can save the world"

Thank f@@k I am from another place...

• Like 1

Zydeco, re the Bangkok tap water, could you give me a reference? My other half is in PH and tells me otherwise. No reference = irresponsible post.

Your post indicates you are new, here. So, here is a suggestion. Rather than take this thread off topic, look into the discussions on surviving the flood of 2011. They are filled with discussions of the dangers of drinking tap water in Bangkok. But, hey, if you want to drink it, go right ahead. Nobody is stopping you.

Just as the Europeans are amazed that we Americans use "compass directions, i.e. River Market restaurant is on the WEST side of the Ping River, Riverside is on the EAST side", I guess they're also amazed that we usually keep 7 - 10 days supply of food around. I guess we come from hardy pioneer stock -- people who had to get off ships, stock up on supplies and figure out how to get themselves to new homesteads in the west.

Nancy, to continue with your thought, certain areas of the USA actually use time to tell you how far a destination is instead of mileage. In Nevada we use the amount of beer it will take to complete th journey, " How far is Reno from Las Vegas?" answer would be "Around a 12 pack!" blink.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the geography lesson, Rambo. Sounds like you need your own survival show on Discovery.

I changed a flat tire without a car jack once on a scary lonely stretch of road, alone....

• Like 2

They want us to change our $$ now...................no thanks, I'll wait until the THB hits bottom, but will the ATMs still be working??

Sounds like another of Thaksin's and IRS's conspiracies to me too, and I'm not gonna fall for it either.

They want us to change our $$ now...................no thanks, I'll wait until the THB hits bottom, but will the ATMs still be working??

Sounds like another of Thaksin's and IRS's conspiracies to me too, and I'm not gonna fall for it either.

And when you are short money because of ATM disruptions or power failures how will you pay for something? Will you offer sexual favours? Sell off your lingerie? It makes sense to have cash on hand as Thailand is a cash society when it comes to the essentials.

• Like 1