UN leader Ban Ki-moon launches Thai mediation effort

webfact

UN leader launches Thai mediation effort

UNITED NATIONS, January 11, 2014 (AFP) - UN leader Ban Ki-moon said Friday he had launched a bid to head off a violent showdown next week between followers of Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the opposition.

Ban told a press conference that he has spoken with Yingluck and opposition Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiv in the past three days "in an effort to help them bridge their differences."

"I am very concerned that the situation could escalate in the days ahead, particularly next Monday, January 13, when protestors said they will shut down Bangkok," Ban added.

"I urge all involved to show restraint, avoid provocative acts and settle their differences peacefully, through dialogue," he said.

Opposition protesters say they will occupy the capital from January 13 until they win their battle to topple Yingluck's government.

Thai authorities say they will have nearly 15,000 police and soldiers deployed in the capital for the planned "shutdown."

Yingluck has called a February election following weeks of opposition protests. But the demonstrators have vowed to block the vote, which they say will only prolong the political dominance of her wealthy family.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-01-11

Suthep is too boneheaded to be genuine about negotiations.

I didn't see his name mentioned.

Do you have a fixation?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

*newsflash*

If anyone has to be convinced, its Suthep. He is the once organizing the protests.

Do try to keep up.

Besides, Abhisit has no influence or power, he is impotent.

Edited by moonao
  • Like 1

An outside mediator, who could enable negotiation that could be examined in detail by the entire world.

How much more fair could it get?

Of course Suthep will refuse.

It would be far too transparent for him.

Yingluck, Suthep....please consider mediation..please don't kill any more Thai people

Problem is Suthep knows that the UN will just back an election, but they don't fully understand that the Shinawatra clan have got almost the entire north in their pockets.

Also don't forget that Thaksin laughed at the UN when they questioned what he had done in the south and also over the drugs crackdown. So it would be ironical if now he sought their help.

• Like 2

Ban Ki-Moon could spend his time better by calling the leaders of the two Korea's : we can assume he understands this problem better.

Also he did not call the leaders of the warring factions in South Sudan, Central African Republic...but somebody must have convinced him the confrontation in Thailand will be still more bloody

Do you have a fixation?

*newsflash*

If anyone has to be convinced, its Suthep. He is the once organizing the protests.

Do try to keep up.

*Newsflash Update*

Don't tell Thai Spot, tell the United Nations Secretary-General who spoke with Abhisit.

• Like 2

Suthep will never negotiate with Ban Ki Moon. He is a farang. Suthep hates farangs and does not respect them. He said so himself.

Well that's all well and good but as has been mentioned Mr Moon did not call on Suthep, he called on Abhisit.

Lest you also not forget that the brother of Yingluck is also famous for shunning the UN with his "the UN is not my father" nonsense...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and the other to corrupt and ready to lie. Don't paint the Shins as being remotely fair, ethical, trustworthy, or honest. Suthep isn't stupid and neither is Thaksin. Neither is either right to lead this country (and not through any proxy puppets either).

Needs something new.

• Like 2

Suthep will never negotiate with Ban Ki Moon. He is a farang. Suthep hates farangs and does not respect them. He said so himself.

Ban Ki Moon is not in a position to negotiate with anyone. He's trying to suggest dialogue and reason. The UN has proven itself inept on many occasions and the current leader is as if not more inept than many of his predecessors.

• Like 2

Complete waste of time and just lip service from the UN to make it look like they are trying to do something good. When did anyone in Thailand ever take any notice of anyone outside of this Kingdom and act on their advice ?

Don't forget everyone...this is the greatest Nation on the Planet and nobody knows better than they do; that's why it's such a f*****g screwed up country !

• Like 2

I live 800k from Bangkok the guy who takes care of my motorbike lives in a tin shed but owns 5 cars no doubt all on credit as well as a number of motorbikes, today he will close up shop to join the protest and says he will be gone for 15 days when I asked him about what this effect could have on his business he told me he would worry about that on his return. When I asked him why he was joining the protest he told me Suthep was a good man who would save him from paying to much taxes I was left scratching my head knowing that all his income is derived from cash only sales so I doubt he pays any taxes. I ask myself who in there right mind would close up for 15 days to demonstrate for a party that has never one an election by a democratic voting system

He was talking about the recently increased beer tax of course, which everyone has to pay !

Do you have a fixation?

*newsflash*

Do try to keep up.

*Newsflash Update*

Don't tell Thai Spot, tell the United Nations Secretary-General who spoke with Abhisit.

Haha!

I hear Yingluck prepared for mediation by chanting Pali scripts and doing yoga

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and you thing yingluck is any different?

What has she done to help the country? NOTHING! ONLY HER FAMILY INTERESTS.

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

I have never seen this. Please email me your sources.

I live 800k from Bangkok the guy who takes care of my motorbike lives in a tin shed but owns 5 cars no doubt all on credit as well as a number of motorbikes, today he will close up shop to join the protest and says he will be gone for 15 days when I asked him about what this effect could have on his business he told me he would worry about that on his return. When I asked him why he was joining the protest he told me Suthep was a good man who would save him from paying to much taxes I was left scratching my head knowing that all his income is derived from cash only sales so I doubt he pays any taxes. I ask myself who in there right mind would close up for 15 days to demonstrate for a party that has never one an election by a democratic voting system

it would be my assumptions. Or a wild guess...he has been watching. Thai news and has learned all the rice scams,debt and potential borrowings will cause him and his kids grief.

The tax he refers to may be his license fees rising

• Like 1

You ar a very sick man. They are all boneheaded and negotiation is not a solution where there is little honesty,integrity and credibility.

Before you post again I suggest that you review Yingluck's, credibility for honesty and integrity let alone competence and perhaps you will see that reconciliation through negations is simply not possible due to the character and sincerity of those involved.

Reforms in the constitution and judicial systems which would incur heavy penalties and long incarceration for government malfeasance and corruption would be a starting point. This country is freewheeling to disaster and has been for many years and no amount of negotiation will fix the problems without highly punitive laws and statutes against corruption. Slam a few of these malignant fat cats behind bars for a few years devoid of the luxuries of their ill-gotten gains and they will surely think twice before putting their hands in the cookie jar.

• Like 1

I took a (long delayed) trip to Roi-Et with my wife last week from Pattaya. Upon reaching her house, one of the first things I noticed was a calendar on the wall from 2005. She's been back there multiple times since then so the meaning wasn't lost on me. The picture on the calendar was Thaksin.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1