45 countries issue Thailand travel warnings

webfact

And the good old British Embassy official website - as of today - 11/01/2014:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

Still warning about Preah Vihea temple ... cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

-mel.

Well I guess that the British Embassy is well aware that this is not going to deter the true Brit from enjoying Thailand.

Edited by LiveInHope
  • Like 2

Still warning about Preah Vihea temple ... cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

-mel.

Well I guess that the British Embassy is well aware that this is not going to deter the true Brit from enjoying Thailand.

They've worked out that the only reason a British tourist comes to downtown Bangkok is to go to the embassy.

And then its under sufferance.

Monday will be a very sad day for the people of Thailand two factions at war against each other all down to one nutcase who thinks he can rule the world. Adolph Hitler thought the same and look what happened to him however millions of lives were lost trying to rid him. I for one hope the good people of Thailand will take heed from the king when he urges all Thais to live in peace with their neighbours and that Mondays demonstrations will be a total washout for everyone's sake. One death is one to many but sadly we all know that Monday could be a very very bad day for this beautiful country and it's people.

I could not agree more. Your post should be recommended 1 million times and forwarded to Suthep.

Best regards

Like you hoping for the best and fearing the worst.

-mel.

Like an Aussie most will head to Phuket or Samui, protests in Bangkok won't even figure.

I have lived in Thailand for 10 years and rarely travel abroad nowadays, so have not had to buy travel insurance to come here for many years.

I do recall though, that these travel advisories can have a true or perceived impact on travel insurance claims. I have many English friends with partners and in some cases children, who would not even travel to mainland Europe without good travel insurance, so they would not travel here unless they were absolutely certain that the insurance would cover them and their family in an emergency.

So even though the trouble is in Bangkok, many will avoid the whole of Thailand 'just in case'.

Now that its 45 countries seems like most people shut up!!!

Have they?

You live in a paranoid world, probably not even in Thailand. Embassies have to issue these statements purely to cover their own ass.

Stay away from the protest spots, and you will not even know what is happening. Life goes on.

Travelling to somewhere in contravention of a government advisory almost always invalidates travel insurance. Given that some Thai officials have recently been squealing with righteous indignation about uninsured and indigent farang leeching off the country's medical services, surely they would not wish to encourage anyone to enter the country without being adequately insured? You can't have your cake AND eat it, Somchai. And it would be a very foolish and irresponsible visitor who decided to enter without insurance regardless.

I recall that when similar advisories were issued during the 2010 disturbances, the Thai government were falling over themselves trying to get the notices revoked. Unsuccessfully, I might add.

Edited by Rumpole